It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:08 pm 
1000 CLUB

You're in a day part. You have a partner. It's different than than the bullshit you did for your half hour shows. And that bullshit didn't even work in the evenings but it was an unimportant slot to your bosses so they didn't care.

1. Knock off this phony Mr. Rodgers act. You're talking to adults. This isn't a children show. Knock off the phony laughter. Stop telling Terry you love him every god damn time you talk to him. Trust me, Terry is weirded out by it as much as the listener. Why can't you just act like yourself? There's no way you act like this off the air. People can see through phonies.

2. Don't talk just to kill time. You've got a partner now. If you ever listen to Larry, his trick is to say a lot of words without really saying anything. It's just a lot of "stating the obvious" or turning a "getting a pizza" story into a 5 or 6 minute discussion.

3. Mundane events in your life are not interesting.

4. Not everything you say is profound. It's Ok. Nobody expects that. Lose that "this is important" tone and slow speech when you say stuff like "The...key...to...this...game...is...scoring....more....points...than...the...opponent."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Beardown, I think Spiegs might like you!

As much as this stuff annoys us, we can just <click> away and we can even <click> before it happens because we know whats coming. Spiegs has to sit here and try to put the train back on the track.

Way back when the 2 of them did a show or two together, I commented on "this very site" it was 2 guys tiptoeing around the uncomfortable air time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
:shock: :shock:

I finally agree with a beardown post.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
Hank Scorpio wrote:
:shock: :shock:

I finally agree with a beardown post.

:lol: :lol: ditto

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:55 pm 
1000 CLUB

The thing that amazes me is how nobody at that station says anything to him about this presentation. About the phoniness. About the weirdness. About his high opinion of himself. About his exaggerations and/or lies about being a tough guy, a pro baseball player, getting women or any of the other bullshit. Don't have to say it mean-like. Just "Hey Larry, what the hell man? What are you doing?"

Mitch could say something. Even a producer. It's obvious nobody has ever said a word to him.

Hey Finfer, I'm putting you in charge of it. You gotta say something. Best to do it now. Cuz you're gonna be Larry's A-Team bitch for at least a year or so before Mitch and Zim put an end to it. You're gonna have to deal and tip toe around the his weird behavior. You're gonna have to pretend that you like it all. That's not healthy. That's not good radio. Best to get shit squared away at the beginning.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:21 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
You guys say what you want but LoHo & Speigs broke real news today with the Hillenmeyer interview. Story made the Trib. It's nice that this show for once makes news because of an interview and not some guys issues.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:25 pm 

This is a wonderful thread full of truths that make it so unpalatable to listen to Leary.He is a wart on my mid day audio entertainment

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:52 pm 
1000 CLUB

Suggestion for Big fan: Keep Mac's name on the show in this section, but put "Larry Bingo" as a sticky here instead of the shoutout section.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:01 pm 
1000 CLUB

5. Figure out how to pronounce vowels properly. C'mon. This is something a pro broadcaster should be able to do. You always proudly remind us your parents are teachers. They can't be proud of your "Uncle Tearys" and "Frenge" instead of "fringe". Get lessons from them for christ's sake.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:20 pm 

Has he started playing uninteresting audio clips yet? That was his go-to move on his evening show. He'd have some soundbites from some Bears simpleton he got during the day and tease the radio audience like the audio he grabbed was newsworthy. Play it, analyze it for 10 minutes, and then talk about how he is such good buddies with whatever player the clip came from.

How can Holmes have so much pull that he can just step into Mac's show and do whatever he wants? He failed horribly in this same time slot four years ago. This will blow up by the end of the year. Spiegs' passive-aggressive pissypants attitude will just bottle all of his Larry rage. The snipes and barbs on the air will become more frequent and more vitriol-filled. Larry will think it's all about his race when in fact his personality is the culprit.

By the way, Beardown, everything you mentioned that Laurence does (outside of the pronunciation problem), Spiegel is guilty of as well. Never were two bigger bitches made for each other.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:27 pm 
1000 CLUB

6. Just because you work with NBC 5 women doesn't mean they are your friends. It also doesn't give you the right to lust over them on the air. You have to look at it from their perspective. You don't. So I will. They're not gonna say they don't like it. Their job as TV personalities is to look good and be these bubbly little things that are always happy and never bitchy. So they have to take what you do with a smile for their image. Doesn't mean they like it or are comfortable with it. In fact, they're not. They hate it and are very much uncomfortable with it. As any women should be.

NBC 5 women: Oh my God. Thank you, Beardown.

Beardown: You're welcome.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
jimmypasta wrote:
You guys say what you want but LoHo & Speigs broke real news today with the Hillenmeyer interview. Story made the Trib. It's nice that this show for once makes news because of an interview and not some guys issues.

Something that happened 10 years ago in passing to a guy is no longer news.

Sorry, but the whole thing makes HH kinda look like a pussy for even talking about it.

I just hope HH can get therapy and get over these issues, of making it hard to come to work!

ITS THE FUCKING NFL! KILLERS, RAPISTS, EX CONS, DRUGGIES, Guess What Hunter! NOBODY GOT THE MEMO TO BE NICE TO YOU!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:03 pm 
1000 CLUB

No kidding. This is a nothing that the Score makes into a big deal like they always do.

Beardown: So Olin Krutz called you a pussy in the locker room? You took at the time but now want to tell this horrible story? That what happen little Hunter?

Hunter: Sure did happen. And I'm no longer afraid to say it. Olin can hurt me no more. I'm free.

Beardown: But you are a pussy. You just proved it by crying about this after the much worse case in Miami.

Hunter: Oh yeah. You're right.

Beardown: Case closed everybody. Move along.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:07 pm 
1000 CLUB

Hell, where do I go to complain about the abuse I take on this board. Where are the bleeding hearts to help me? :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Beardown, how come you don't ever go after Spiegel?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:22 pm 
1000 CLUB

spmack wrote:
Beardown, how come you don't ever go after Spiegel?

Don't hear much of the show to hate him as much as I see some of you hate him. I like him cuz doesn't blindly follow the Bernstein bible like the others. Willing to fight Bernstein when everybody else is scared. Even when he's wrong in an argument, I like the fact that he's willing to engage and not afraid.

Gotta get somebody at the Score to go after Bernstein and be right, though. Speiegel isn't smart enough. I'll give you that. Spiegel goes after him cuz of an inferiority complex more than anything. That a good enough insult for you, Spmack?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:35 pm 

pizza_Place: ------
Beardown wrote:
Gotta get somebody at the Score to go after Bernstein and be right, though. Speiegel isn't smart enough. I'll give you that. Spiegel goes after him cuz of an inferiority complex more than anything.

Truth

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

Last edited by Phil McCracken on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:51 pm 
1000 CLUB

There was one transition that probably set the stage for "spiegel vs. Bernstein". It was funny. These Score people are mean and unstable.

They were talking about weight control. I don't know how it came up. Bernstein said he and his wife have an agreement that "neither can be fat". And Spiegel took offense to that saying something like "you monitor everything your wife eats?" Bernstein said something like, "Yeah, who the hell wants to be married to a fat person?" Silent pause from Spiegel. You can feel him seething. He's a 300 + pounder. Obviously he's gonna take offense to that comment.

I also think fat jokes from drinky set off that "part timer" comment from Spiegel. I remember drink doing some fat jokes when Spiegel joined the Score. Probably out of resentment that drinky was passed over by an outsider.

Like I said, these Score people are some mean, petty, bitter SOBs.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:11 am 

Beardown, they dont tell him, because that's part of who he is. Same reason most of us dont tell co workers how fucked up we think they are

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:51 am 

I've kind of moved to the Ivan position where he is comical. The problem is, I don't think anyone at the station is treating him like comic relief that he is. Mitch takes him seriously so everyone else has to...to his face.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:53 am 

good dolphin wrote:
I've kind of moved to the Ivan position where he is comical. The problem is, I don't think anyone at the station is treating him like comic relief that he is. Mitch takes him seriously so everyone else has to...to his face.

That's not just Ivan, its all of us in the club

Dr Ken, myself, Sini, Robert Cheif...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:55 am 

pizza_Place: Roberto's
I think the need for coaching for the Hyde Park Hand job was never more evident than the heavy promotion of the "film room" segment with Bowen yesterday. That works at 7 pm when you are dealing with a home bound audience, but at 10 am the majority of your audience are in cars or at work. They don't have the ability to watch streaming video of plays from the game. I am also not convinced that anybody outside of Bowen and Green Lantern care anyway. it immediately took me to 8 and made me want to punch my boss. Instead, I told a 15 minute story about my breakfast and went back to a 6. I then took a picture of Lake Michigan and went back to a 3. Then I went to the gym and saw a guy with a gallon milk jug of water and went back to 9 so I fantasized about punching people while using the treadmill. I was still quite short and inadequate.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:02 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
BigClem wrote:
I think the need for coaching for the Hyde Park Hand job was never more evident than the heavy promotion of the "film room" segment with Bowen yesterday. That works at 7 pm when you are dealing with a home bound audience, but at 10 am the majority of your audience are in cars or at work. They don't have the ability to watch streaming video of plays from the game. I am also not convinced that anybody outside of Bowen and Green Lantern care anyway. it immediately took me to 8 and made me want to punch my boss. Instead, I told a 15 minute story about my breakfast and went back to a 6. I then took a picture of Lake Michigan and went back to a 3. Then I went to the gym and saw a guy with a gallon milk jug of water and went back to 9 so I fantasized about punching people while using the treadmill. I was still quite short and inadequate.

I love everything about this post. Welcome to the board Clem :lol: :lol:

Or welcome back depending on the circumstances.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:22 am 

BigClem wrote:

I thought it was fascinating to hear that the flag route can also be referred to as the seven route or the out or the down and out.

The truth is that when you hear Bowen break it down it becomes pretty apparent that there is not much technical to any of this stuff and that the entire industry is hiding this simplicity behind jargon.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:28 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Beardown wrote:
There was one transition that probably set the stage for "spiegel vs. Bernstein". It was funny. These Score people are mean and unstable.

They were talking about weight control. I don't know how it came up. Bernstein said he and his wife have an agreement that "neither can be fat". And Spiegel took offense to that saying something like "you monitor everything your wife eats?" Bernstein said something like, "Yeah, who the hell wants to be married to a fat person?" Silent pause from Spiegel. You can feel him seething. He's a 300 + pounder. Obviously he's gonna take offense to that comment.

I also think fat jokes from drinky set off that "part timer" comment from Spiegel. I remember drink doing some fat jokes when Spiegel joined the Score. Probably out of resentment that drinky was passed over by an outsider.

Like I said, these Score people are some mean, petty, bitter SOBs.

Wow! I can't believe what an ignorant fuck Bernstein is. I would have told him "obviously you and your wife don't have the same agreement about being ugly."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:00 pm 
1000 CLUB

rogers park bryan wrote:
Beardown, they dont tell him, because that's part of who he is. Same reason most of us dont tell co workers how fucked up we think they are

Fine. But B&B had no problem saying Murph was a weirdo. B&B currently have no problem saying Les Grobstein is a weirdo. Both co workers. Not to their face, of course. And it's done out of hate.

But Spiegel is gonna be his partner. You would think, as a new partnership starts, they'd discuss some of this stuff. Do it in a constructive way. Hell, maybe Larry will actually see the light if it's done by a co worker.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinders
Matt's got the ultimate job with tons of freedom and perks. He's not going to fuck it up by confronting LH. They'll work out a rhythm and it'll be fine. Well, as fine as they can be...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Cali Za Kitchen
My prime time radio advice for Leeary is to get off prime time. Fin.