It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:38 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
These Score Search things are pointless.... evidently the Connor McKnight one was prolly real (unless he was an intern/ex-employee/etc just looking for that big formal break to start off as a niche in mitch's arsenal and then work his way up to legendary connor mcdoink status) otherwise, shit, you're telling me that you need to have a majorly-ballyhooed station contest to "search" for talent that ends up being confined to your ex-interns/employees?

yeah i know it's a gimmick and 99% of the listening public has no idea that these guys are ex-score-workers, but still.... it's just kind of sad that the station which still proudly bills itself as "the voice of the fans" goes out of its way to prop up radio nepotism in lieu of actually allowing said fans to have a voice in the middle of the night.... blargh. don't they know that the ppl born from inbreeding tend to, you know, be a little bit slow... like they're gonna say that this is steven burger live on the score ~3 times in the first 3 minutes of the first hour of the show?

ah well, i guess when these contests are seen as low-level PR stunts and not any sort of means of digging up a new cheap dead-hours host.... cuz shit, i bet when it comes down to it they figure the cost of having a weekend overnight host at any amount, even $1/hr, is still money that they could have saved by sentencing us to radio siberia with amy lawrence!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:42 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
actually, i take that back. amy lawrence shows aren't really radio siberia, that term is reserved for those ben finfer sunday shifts that start to kick in regularly after the bears/NFL season ends which go from 9-10am all the way to ~2-3pm. i always hear them en route to the family brunch circuit and holy shit are those cold desolate isolated shows..... you honestly feel like you're right smack dab in the middle of a 300 square mile desert of frozen tundra, albeit in convenient "let's hear finferlandia's thoughts on the bulls" format.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Bump,

I guess Scott from Davenport didn't win the battle (contest), but he won the war (now is listed as a columnist at The Score).

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/12/03/ ... l-attempt/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Probably a better use of his abilities than posting on facebook.

They did the same thing the year Maya Gavin won, where Longtime Boers & Bernstein Guy Dan Durkin lost the contest but still got to be a columnist. Ended up outlasting Maya Gavin, too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
spmack wrote:
Bump,

I guess Scott from Davenport didn't win the battle (contest), but he won the war (now is listed as a columnist at The Score).

Are you shitting me? I thought there were going to actually be some useful numbers in there.

Paging John Dewan....at least he had a clue.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:34 pm 

Incidentally, has anyone read a Dan Durkin piece on the website? I think he does football. I see him there in the Score's great big sea of bland white dudes in polo shirts, but I don't think I've read anything of his. I thought maybe I did, but that might have been Dave Wischnowsky.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
In order to win (or at least stick) at the station, you have to be a B&B (specifically Bernstein) kiss ass. FOTS indeed.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:16 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
spmack wrote:
Bump,

Are you shitting me? I thought there were going to actually be some useful numbers in there.

Paging John Dewan....at least he had a clue.

That's why Dewaan got paid for his work. I believe he sold STATS, Inc. for several hundred million and opened up a kids summer camp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
good dolphin wrote:
That's why Dewaan got paid for his work. I believe he sold STATS, Inc. for several hundred million and opened up a kids summer camp

Murph got him on for free. HEY was John Dewan married?? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:44 pm 

When they hired Ten Foot Midget they made it perfectly clear that anyone could be hired.

At least Scott In Davenport occasionally provides interesting content.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Connies
The issue with Scott is that his numbers are usually interesting, but all he does is kiss Bernsteins ass. And he is not a good looking man either. Does he do anything with his life or just listen to the score and send in numbers?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:11 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
manbearpig wrote:
The issue with Scott is that his numbers are usually interesting, but all he does is kiss Bernsteins ass. And he is not a good looking man either.

Well, that got personal. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
manbearpig wrote:
The issue with Scott is that his numbers are usually interesting, but all he does is kiss Bernsteins ass. And he is not a good looking man either.

Well, that got personal. :lol:

What do I look for in a columnist? Well, if he ain't a hunk, he ain't gettin' my time. Hunks or bust, like I always say.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
manbearpig wrote:

I'm with you. I prefer my web columnists to be strikingly handsome gentlemen.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:53 pm 

So I was checking out HFboards today and there was a thread on the main board called "Quite possibly the worst article ever written about the NHL." Now, most posters on HFboards are pretty dumb, but to declare something "quite possibly the worst," I mean whoa, that's really sticking your neck out. Given the superlatives and the recent incident with quite possibly the worst article ever written about the NBA, my first fear was "oh no, Dan Bernstein wrote about fighting again, didn't he."

I hovered over the link. I see chicago.cbslocal.com out of the corner of my eye. "Oh, no, he did write about fighting again. This is gonna get bad."

I clicked it. Well, no, he didn't, but it's the next best thing! BEEP BOOP!

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/01/15/ ... ey-fights/

Quote:
I am not a hockey expert. I enjoy the game — I had season tickets to the minor league team that played in the Quad Cities but am not a dyed-in-the-wool Blackhawk fan from birth.

PRO TIP: do not start an article about hockey with "I don't know much about hockey." You will be torn to ribbons every. single. time. It doesn't matter what else you wrote, which may well make sense because I don't see much point in fighting either. But DON'T DO THAT, dude. And double-plus-don't follow it up with an appeal to authority, "well, I checked with Matt McClure and Jay Zawaski." Then we'll hear it from them.

And so there's some number-crunching, whatever. But this,

Quote:
No other professional hockey organization tolerates fighting like the NHL, and no other sport comes even close to tolerating it. In 2009, Tommie Harris was ejected for hitting Arizona Cardinal Deuce Lutui during a game. Was he applauded for being Chicago tough and giving the Bears momentum? No, he was roundly and rightly castigated for losing control and incurring a dumb penalty. The NFL and NBA took steps long ago to remove fighting, and it’s time for the NHL to do the same.

In no way should I be construed as wanting to eliminate physical play in hockey. Teams can play a physical game with plenty of checking without resorting to what is considered assault in any other context. Imagine if NHL goons swung their sticks at opponents’ heads. What would the reaction be? Calls for immediate suspension, banishment from the league and criminal proceedings. And yet swinging a fist instead of a stick makes it acceptable? Simply ridiculous.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT DAN ALWAYS SAYS. "Oh, I love hard hits! But fighting, heavens no! oh, my monocle!" Can't I ask why it's acceptable to engage in the loosely organized chaos of the NFL, but punching someone has to elicit this shock and horror? I think the bloodsport of the NFL is far grislier than any stupid hockey fight. But we can't ban that because watching big black studs from slave states kill each other makes our Sundays fun.

Bernstein clones. Sigh. They're going mainstream.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Didn't this guy lose?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Curious Hair wrote:
So I was checking out HFboards today and there was a thread on the main board called "Quite possibly the worst article ever written about the NHL." Now, most posters on HFboards are pretty dumb, but to declare something "quite possibly the worst," I mean whoa, that's really sticking your neck out. Given the superlatives and the recent incident with quite possibly the worst article ever written about the NBA, my first fear was "oh no, Dan Bernstein wrote about fighting again, didn't he."

I hovered over the link. I see chicago.cbslocal.com out of the corner of my eye. "Oh, no, he did write about fighting again. This is gonna get bad."

I clicked it. Well, no, he didn't, but it's the next best thing! BEEP BOOP!

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/01/15/ ... ey-fights/

Quote:
I am not a hockey expert. I enjoy the game — I had season tickets to the minor league team that played in the Quad Cities but am not a dyed-in-the-wool Blackhawk fan from birth.

PRO TIP: do not start an article about hockey with "I don't know much about hockey." You will be torn to ribbons every. single. time. It doesn't matter what else you wrote, which may well make sense because I don't see much point in fighting either. But DON'T DO THAT, dude. And double-plus-don't follow it up with an appeal to authority, "well, I checked with Matt McClure and Jay Zawaski." Then we'll hear it from them.

And so there's some number-crunching, whatever. But this,

Quote:
No other professional hockey organization tolerates fighting like the NHL, and no other sport comes even close to tolerating it. In 2009, Tommie Harris was ejected for hitting Arizona Cardinal Deuce Lutui during a game. Was he applauded for being Chicago tough and giving the Bears momentum? No, he was roundly and rightly castigated for losing control and incurring a dumb penalty. The NFL and NBA took steps long ago to remove fighting, and it’s time for the NHL to do the same.

In no way should I be construed as wanting to eliminate physical play in hockey. Teams can play a physical game with plenty of checking without resorting to what is considered assault in any other context. Imagine if NHL goons swung their sticks at opponents’ heads. What would the reaction be? Calls for immediate suspension, banishment from the league and criminal proceedings. And yet swinging a fist instead of a stick makes it acceptable? Simply ridiculous.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT DAN ALWAYS SAYS. "Oh, I love hard hits! But fighting, heavens no! oh, my monocle!" Can't I ask why it's acceptable to engage in the loosely organized chaos of the NFL, but punching someone has to elicit this shock and horror? I think the bloodsport of the NFL is far grislier than any stupid hockey fight. But we can't ban that because watching big black studs from slave states kill each other makes our Sundays fun.

Bernstein clones. Sigh. They're going mainstream.

Didn't read the whole thing but it's hilarious that he used to have season tickets for the QC team and then proceeds to say no other league tolerates fighting like the NHL...

...first Mallards game I ever went to had what seemed like a five minute fight, culminating with the goalies meeting at centre ice and dropping gloves before "fighting"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:46 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Didn't this guy lose?

From reports, Mitch basically disqualified him for namedropping Dan Bernstein and Laurence Holmes too much.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:22 am 

how much does the job pay i can learn twitter real quick