It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 668 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Will be playing the Eskimo Open at Cog Hill on the 5th, my fourth year doing so.
7am tee time on Course #3 this Sunday. Good thing I've got a bag of orange, pink, and yellow balls in the garage as it's supposed to snow a bit over the next few days. Borrowing a sled to drag my clubs around for the day as well.

That has to be like hitting off concrete after the ground being frozen as long as it has been.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:11 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
The ground hasn't been too bad the last few years, though this year has been much colder to start the winter. Believe it or not, I've never had to play with snow all over the ground. This year should prove to be much different. On the Par 3 16th, I always skip my ball across the ice. I've gotten a par on that hole each year (automatic 2 putt, winter rules :lol: )

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:55 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Although a hard decision, I decided to turn down Masters practice round tickets this year. I had another
event in Milwaukee come up that conflicted with the dates and chose to stay closer to home and possibly
put the Masters trip money towards a short Spring Training trip instead.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:38 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Although a hard decision, I decided to turn down Masters practice round tickets this year. I had another
event in Milwaukee come up that conflicted with the dates and chose to stay closer to home and possibly

Damn that had to be a tough decision.

Are you talking about Spring Training out in Arizona though?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:47 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

If I went it would be AZ.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:48 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

If I went it would be AZ.

If you can go, I would strongly advise it. It is a great, great time.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:54 pm 
100000 CLUB

This is real, in Idaho.

http://www.worldgolf.com/course-reviews ... o-7358.htm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:44 pm 

shakes wrote:
Went to Top Golf yesterday. Lots of fun. Was going to go Saturday, but called ahead and it was a 3 hour wait all day and night. So we went yesterday morning instead to beat the crowds. Since it was so cold there weren't that many people there even when we left around 1.

The place is really cool. You buy a card, go to the machine and purchase games, each game is 20 balls and $7. Each ball has a microchip and is set to match you so when you put it on the mat the computer knows its your ball. They have targets all over the range, some as short as 20 yards and then the big one is 250 yards out. They have 5 or 6 different games you can play. First one is where you just try and hit any target and you get points. Next game we played was one where you pick your skill level and based on that the computer tells you which target to aim for. It was a lot of fun and a great way to work on your game with the excitement of some competition.

The bays are heated, but it was still quite cold. Each bay has couches or bar stools and tables so you can hang out and eat and drink when its not your turn. Waitresses were very attentive. The food was really good although all we had was some chicken quesadillas.

I'll definitely go back. They gave us a tip..if you call up at least a day in advance and set up an event you can do that for as little as 3 people and the deal is $40 per person and that gets you 2 appetizers, free non alcoholic drinks and two hours of free golf. That's a pretty sweet deal considering you can use that option to avoid the 3 hour wait on weekends.

The people working there were great, very helpful. i accidentally scammed them out of like $100 without realizing it. When I got there I bought a $40 card and it was 9:55 am. They told me that till 10am all games were half price ($3.50) and they ushered me over quickly to the machine so I could take advantage of that. I had my wife and a friend as well so I bought 12 games so we could play 4 games each. After the machine gave me 240 balls they told me that we could all use those balls, but since they were registered to me only my name and score would show up on the screen. We didn't want that so I just took 4 games and they put the rest of the balls back and credited 8 games back to my card. Problem is though I bought those games at half price, but they gave them back to me at the full rate so I now have $56 worth of games on my card that I paid $40 for and I also had the 4 games that I played while we were there. SO in the end I paid $40 and got $84 worth of games.

Shakes, you would have loved being there when about a dozen of us went to top golf a couple years ago.
We only talked about you a little bit.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:21 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Frank Coztansa wrote:

yea I've seen a few segments about that place on various golf shows. Supposed to be awesome. Didn't read the link so don't if they mention it, but that island green is actually motorized and every day they move it closer or further out to give the hole a different yardage.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:24 am 

spanky wrote:
Shakes, you would have loved being there when about a dozen of us went to top golf a couple years ago.
We only talked about you a little bit.

Just a little bit? I wouldn't have enjoyed that at all.

I'm going back out there tomorrow with the wife around 11 if anyone wants to pop in and hit a few.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:23 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

:lol:

I am sure there is no way in the world I would ever come close to the green.

Quote:
It turns out that most recreational golfers don't exactly have steel traps for heads. For more than 30,000 golf balls a year are recovered in the water off Coeur d'Alene's famous island green. Thirty thousand balls a year lost on one golf hole ... in Northern Idado, where the winters shut down the courses for five months.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:56 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
RFDC wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

:lol:

I am sure there is no way in the world I would ever come close to the green.

Not with that attitude.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:38 am 
100000 CLUB

Can't go for the pin unless its in the dead center of the green. Aim for the center, and hope you can two putt for par and be happy with that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:31 am 

I think I found the wedges I want for this spring. They look pretty sweet.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Nice. I like that middle finish best. They seem to have scaled back the stampings and gone with a cleaner look.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:28 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
Nice. I like that middle finish best. They seem to have scaled back the stampings and gone with a cleaner look.

Agreed on the clean look. I've gotten copper the past couple and one that had a rusty look to it but think I
may just go with the plain steel look. Don't think I would do the black finish. I'll have to see what looks good
to my eye when I have them in hand.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:34 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

Agreed on the clean look. I've gotten copper the past couple and one that had a rusty look to it but think I
may just go with the plain steel look. Don't think I would do the black finish. I'll have to see what looks good

Pick the one that hits the clump of bushes 4x in a row the best. :D :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:42 pm 

spanky wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

:lol: :oops: That was probably my top moment I would like to take back from last
golf season. I probably should have chipped out rather than hope for a miracle on the
first swing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:43 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
spanky wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

:lol: :oops: That was probably my top moment I would like to take back from last
golf season. I probably should have chipped out rather than hope for a miracle on the
first swing.

I thought Hawg was gonna kill you. He was more upset about you ruining your round than you were. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:52 pm 

I managed to pull it together in the end, but yes, good ole Hawg was not happy with me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:59 pm 

spanky wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

That's not right Spany!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:01 pm 

Just signed up to play in a 2 man team 9 hole league Wednesday nights at Sportsman in Northbrook. We're first on the waiting list so hopefully one of the returning teams bails. Never played in a league before, looking forward to it. My teammate shoots around the low to mid 80s. I assume its all handicapped, not sure how it works.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:16 am 

Well, I've had it with this weather so I am going to head up to Milwaukee this weekend to meet a buddy and
check out the Golfsmith store up there. Got some money squirreled away and I think getting some new
equipment is just what the doctor ordered. I know I am getting a new Vokey SW and LW but they don't
come out for another month. In the meantime I have decided to tinker with the long clubs a bit. The
Adams driving iron I got last year isn't nearly as long as my old Ping 1 iron but it should replace the 3
iron I have and cover that 220-235 yard gap. In the meantime my friend told me I should look at the
Callaway X Hot Deep 13 degree wood. Essentially a 2 wood or really strong 3 wood. I need something I
can hit off the tee on tighter holes as well as off the ground if needed that might push the ball closer to
250 for par 5's. I am going test hit some in the cages up there. Also curious what the new clothing styles
might look like. I want to believe that spring will be here sometime in April even though that seems like a
long shot. Pic of the Callaway below. Anyone ever hit the Callaway 3 woods? I haven't owned a Callaway
in many years but remember them making a good fairway wood.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:11 am 

I had one of the old warbirds that I loved and the foam inside the head broke. Last 3-wood that I could hit with any confidence.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:08 am 

T-Bone: I demoed the X-Hot FW last year when I did a fitting session at Club Champion. Doubt my experience will be of much help since I demoed the non-Pro version. The non-Pro looked too closed for me at address (I fight a hook) and the stock shaft was really whippy, even for my girlish swing speed.

The 3 Deep gets a lot of love from serious players, many dropping a driver because the 3 Deep is so damn long and they play tight courses that put a premium on being in the short grass. The X-Hot series seemed to be crazy long by all accounts and the only negative I heard about the 3 Deep was it’s more difficult to hit from the fairway because of the deep face, especially for those with a shallow swing. Kind of similar to the complaints about the original TM RBZ FWs.

Callaway has the new X2 Hot and Big Bertha FWs out this year, so you should be a able to get a good deal on the 3 Deep from last year. I’m pretty excited about the Big Bertha FWs. They look great and I’m a big fan of Fubuki shafts, which come standard.

PGA Superstore has a big demo sale going on right now, for what it’s worth.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:36 am 

Thanks for the info Furious. I'm not too hung up on what version it is if it happens to work. I have a
perfectly good Titleist 3 wood that I can't hit worth shit off the tee or the fairway. It has a closed face
and the head is kinda small so I hope that this other version would look more like a mini driver at address
and be able to lift it in the air off the ground. You are right that it appears the Deep is discounted at
$179 or so. I have a pretty steep swing path and hit the ball pretty high so I believe that is one of the
reasons I have had a hard time finding a fairway wood that works for me and have always preferred
long irons.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:56 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Thanks for the info Furious. I'm not too hung up on what version it is if it happens to work. I have a
perfectly good Titleist 3 wood that I can't hit worth shit off the tee or the fairway. It has a closed face
and the head is kinda small so I hope that this other version would look more like a mini driver at address
and be able to lift it in the air off the ground. You are right that it appears the Deep is discounted at
$179 or so. I have a pretty steep swing path and hit the ball pretty high so I believe that is one of the
reasons I have had a hard time finding a fairway wood that works for me and have always preferred
long irons.

The 3 Deep is the Pro version, you can see "Pro" on the hosel in the picture you posted. Sounds like it might be a perfect fit for you with your swing characteristics.

http://www.golfwrx.com/87593/callaway-3 ... or-review/

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:46 pm 

T-bone, I bought one of those Xhot 3 woods last year and then returned it for the Ping I have now. I couldn't hit the X-hot. It has a really narrow bottom and small face and I just couldn't get used to it at address. I like a flat bottom fairway would with a large face. X-hot is less forgiving, made for a better golfer than me so maybe you'll love it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:52 pm 

shakes wrote:
T-bone, I bought one of those Xhot 3 woods last year and then returned it for the Ping I have now. I couldn't hit the X-hot. It has a really narrow bottom and small face and I just couldn't get used to it at address. I like a flat bottom fairway would with a large face. X-hot is less forgiving, made for a better golfer than me so maybe you'll love it.

Like the new flat stick. 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 668 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next