It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:29 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/ ... abor-union

Could see the tide turn in college sports.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:32 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Chicago's Big Ten Commies.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:37 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Doesn't the school or NCAA have to simply rule union members ineligible?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Makes sense since unions usually are started by workers that are getting taken advantage of in terrible working conditions. Go U Northwestern.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Backed by the United Steelworkers union....

The NCAA deserves all they get

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:05 pm 

Good for them. They'll quickly find out their true value.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:21 pm 

If this picks up steam, it will be interesting to see how the men and women of different sports can coexist in one union.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:23 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
If this picks up steam, it will be interesting to see how the men and women of different sports can coexist in one union.
This union is only for basketball and football players.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:24 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:

Yeah, but you know that can't last.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:28 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:

They won't get much if they have to calculate in the cost of women's volleyball.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:32 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:

They won't get much if they have to calculate in the cost of women's volleyball.

What percentage of players bring in more to Northwestern that the worth of their scholarship? The problem is with every Johny Manziel who make the school millions, they are 50 kids who bringing nothing in extra value to the table.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:34 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:

But you think other sports will just sit by and watch a small minority of athletes at their school rake in the dough at the detriment of the other sports? They all have the same "employers". Highly unlikely they can restrict other athletes from joining the union.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:41 pm 

conns7901 wrote:
What percentage of players bring in more to Northwestern that the worth of their scholarship? The problem is with every Johny Manziel who make the school millions, they are 50 kids who bringing nothing in extra value to the table.
That's an interesting question. At Northwestern, I'd think it was almost 0.

At Purdue, you'd have to think Drew Brees did, but they actually saw a decrease in attendance the year after the Rose Bowl.

Now, at Alabama and Florida the conversation is slightly different but I'm also not sure they'd make less money if AJ McCarron retired after his junior year.
Big Chicagoan wrote:
But you think other sports will just sit by and watch a small minority of athletes at their school rake in the dough at the detriment of the other sports? They all have the same "employers". Highly unlikely they can restrict other athletes from joining the union.
They'll be thankful the University didn't turn their sport into a club sport.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:42 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
That's an interesting question. At Northwestern, I'd think it was almost 0.

At Purdue, you'd have to think Drew Brees did, but they actually saw a decrease in attendance the year after the Rose Bowl.

Now, at Alabama and Florida the conversation is slightly different but I'm also not sure they'd make less money if AJ McCarron retired after his junior year.
Big Chicagoan wrote:
They'll be thankful the University didn't turn their sport into a club sport.

Title IX, can't change them all to club sports.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:49 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
Yeah, just most of them and virtually every men's sport.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:51 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:

I guess you will see how alumni feel about that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:53 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:

I guess you will see how alumni feel about that.
Most people who donate at my school seem to care about basketball and football.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:55 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

"Seem" being the key word there I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:58 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

"Seem" being the key word there I guess.
I know the donation seeking business at Purdue and most Big Ten schools is built almost exclusively around football, and at some schools basketball. It's also when they get a huge majority of the donations.

The only real alumni outreach for other sports is if you actually played it there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:06 pm 

Players should be able to sign licensing agreements. If some booster wants to pay some kid 100k to sign autographs let him. Andrew Wiggins should be getting a cut of Kentucky merchandise beng sold with his jersey number.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:16 pm 

conns7901 wrote:
Players should be able to sign licensing agreements. If some booster wants to pay some kid 100k to sign autographs let him. Andrew Wiggins should be getting a cut of Kentucky merchandise beng sold with his jersey number.
If they do this I'd still like to see it regulated by the schools and put into trust funds that are payable after graduation at certain intervals.

Add in a 5 year scholarship guarantee(can cut a player at any time but you still pay them) and a monthly stipend of $2,000 a month.

However, that does basically get rid of most other non-revenue sports but that is probably happening no matter what.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
When does the ACLU step into the picture?

Does this eventually take on a racial side angle?

Will this actually make things better for student athletes in general, or just a select few?

I'm all for the guys taking the actual physical risks getting a piece of the pie instead of crumbs in a back alley, but to just blanket say "hooray go anti-NCAA people" kinda hints to the idea of 'activity equals accomplishment' which it of course does not.

Hopefully this is the start of a real intelligent movement; one would think Northwestern is a pretty good place for that to have a great chance.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:58 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
If they do this I'd still like to see it regulated by the schools and put into trust funds that are payable after graduation at certain intervals.

Add in a 5 year scholarship guarantee(can cut a player at any time but you still pay them) and a monthly stipend of $2,000 a month.

However, that does basically get rid of most other non-revenue sports but that is probably happening no matter what.

In regards to non revenue sports: what is so necessary for these players to travel long distances at great expense to play a game for no one. There is nothing wrong with club sports. Students would get the same enjoyment out of the competition. It might even have the trickle down effect of ending this crazy ass practice of training kids for scholarships from the time of pre pubescence.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:59 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
In regards to non revenue sports: what is so necessary for these players to travel long distances at great expense to play a game for no one. There is nothing wrong with club sports. Students would get the same enjoyment out of the competition. It might even have the trickle down effect of ending this crazy ass practice of training kids for scholarships from the time of pre pubescence.
Getting rid of the non-revenue sports would be fine with me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
conns7901 wrote:
Andrew Wiggins should be getting a cut of Kentucky merchandise beng sold with his jersey number.

That doesnt seem fair to Kentucky seeing as he plays for Kansas. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:40 pm 

Since they are not employees and do not pay taxes, can they legally unionize anyways?

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:35 pm 

So, from what it sounds like, this won't really work and could very well be bad for the players if it did work out.

This is just them trying to get the NCAA to get the NCAA to move on things.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Agree. Treating smaller sports like the big ones is really getting away from what college sports should be about.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:25 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Title IX is pissing me off. It is in the high schools now as well. My son plays private Lacrosse. They did all the building of an organization and went to the school so the boys can play when they enter HS. Nope. Title IX not enough girls sports to offset but we loved your presentation especially the part where it costs the school nothing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:10 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Agree. Treating smaller sports like the big ones is really getting away from what college sports should be about.

Why should Derrick Rose have to have someone take the ACT for him so he could play big time college basketball for a year?

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote: