It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 668 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Speaking of new purchases look what I just went out and picked up during lunch! Had a $300 golfsmith gift card burning a hole in my pocket since Hannukah, not anymore! Now the only question is do I go ahead and deface it by putting a super stroke grip on it???

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:59 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
shakes wrote:
T-bone, I bought one of those Xhot 3 woods last year and then returned it for the Ping I have now. I couldn't hit the X-hot. It has a really narrow bottom and small face and I just couldn't get used to it at address. I like a flat bottom fairway would with a large face. X-hot is less forgiving, made for a better golfer than me so maybe you'll love it.

Like the new flat stick. 8)

Spoiler alert!

Yea, now I get to start at it for a few months before using it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:03 pm 

To bad I have seen you putt. :P

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:22 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
To bad I have seen you putt. :P

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
shakes wrote:
Now the only question is do I go ahead and deface it by putting a super stroke grip on it???

Sweet putter. I mentioned a few months back in this thread how I bought a new putter on eBay that came with a SS grip. I’ve always hated the beer-can-on-a-stick look and figured for sure I would replace it right away. There really is something to the technology and the non-taper on the lower part really takes the hands out of the stroke. I’m sold on it, at least after a month of carpet putting. Mine came with the SS 1.0 Ultra which is the thinnest model and has kind of a reverse taper to it. As I understand it, the thinner models are for more of an arching-type stroke, whereas the fatter ones are more for a straight back, straight through stroke. Also, they came out with a Flatso version for 2014 that seems to fit the hands better and make it easier to square the face.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I have the original Super Stroke on one of my Scotty Camerons and I am going to have that taken off
and replace it with a mid sized one. It is probably equivalent to the Fatso model but it was made of a
very hard dull gray rubber and once I got it put on I hated it. I think the mid sized may be a better
model for me. What I have done for many years is just buy 3 rolls of tennis grip and wrap my own
putter grip to fatten it up and make it soft. Just figure there has to be a better way and hope the
mid size Super Stroke is it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:37 pm 

I AM the original super stroke.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:40 pm 

spanky wrote:

:roll:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:50 pm 

spanky wrote:

I don't think anyone will argue with you there. :alien:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:01 pm 

Here's what the new Flatso models look like. I held one at the golf shop and the flatness/wideness really keeps the wrists from coming in to play. I'm intrigued by the Flatso Ultra since it's slightly wider than the 2013 1.0 and doesn't have the reverse taper, but it weighs 20g more. I'm going to give the 1.0 Ultra a try on the course first.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:35 am 

http://www.amateurgolftour.net/chicago_tour_pages/default6.asp

Have you guys ever heard of this? It looks amazing! I'm definitely going to sign up when I go to the golf show next weekend. Check out the video at the bottom of the page and check out the schedule of courses they play. Looks like you pay $100 to join and then you pay to play the courses for the tournaments. Looks like the greens fees are about $15 more than usual which ain't bad considering its a tournament. And in the weeks leading up to the events you get discounted rates at the courses.

The cool part is at the end of the year they have a rider cup competition against teh guys who play in the league in Milwaukee.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:04 pm 

I looked at the tour last year and passed on it but seems like a really cool idea. Pretty big time commitment if
you want to play in a lot of events. I would like to do something like this sometime though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:15 pm 

Looks like you play in as many or as few events as you want. Obviously if you want to qualify for the nationals you would need to play in a bunch to get the points, but I don't really care about that. Just want to play in a few and get a taste of tournament golf. Looking at the scores in the B flight I think I could do pretty well unless I'm reading it wrong. On that video the guy who won the flight shot an 83. If I play well I can definitely contend with that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:21 pm 

shakes wrote:
Looks like you play in as many or as few events as you want. Obviously if you want to qualify for the nationals you would need to play in a bunch to get the points, but I don't really care about that. Just want to play in a few and get a taste of tournament golf. Looking at the scores in the B flight I think I could do pretty well unless I'm reading it wrong. On that video the guy who won the flight shot an 83. If I play well I can definitely contend with that.

I'd like to play a few events this year. The county open I played in last year was a 3 day event and really
exposed a lot of holes in my game. It is a totally different pressure playing tournament golf with your own
ball and no teammates. Maybe I just put too much pressure on myself but I really stuggled last year.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:39 pm 

Some nice courses on that schedule. Will you be playing Harborside? :wink:

I played in a few Golf Channel tour events a couple of years ago. You meet a lot of like-minded people and get exposure to tournament golf. The GC Tour included quality golf shirts, Bridgestone balls, etc. in the starter pack, plus you could pocket some decent dough on the skins and closest-to-the-pin. The downside was the mind-numbingly slow weekend rounds and instances of cheating and sandbagging. Good tournament directors know how to handle the sandbagging, but the cheating I experienced in the Ryder Cup season-ending tournament really pissed me off. I was a sub and wasn’t going to ruffle any feathers, but it was pretty obvious and definitely off-putting.

Not saying that will happen on the GolfWeek tour, just be aware and maybe ask the TD how he handles it. You’re going to need to find vape-friendly cart partners…

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:52 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:

I played in a few Golf Channel tour events a couple of years ago. You meet a lot of like-minded people and get exposure to tournament golf. The GC Tour included quality golf shirts, Bridgestone balls, etc. in the starter pack, plus you could pocket some decent dough on the skins and closest-to-the-pin. The downside was the mind-numbingly slow weekend rounds and instances of cheating and sandbagging. Good tournament directors know how to handle the sandbagging, but the cheating I experienced in the Ryder Cup season-ending tournament really pissed me off. I was a sub and wasn’t going to ruffle any feathers, but it was pretty obvious and definitely off-putting.

Not saying that will happen on the GolfWeek tour, just be aware and maybe ask the TD how he handles it. You’re going to need to find vape-friendly cart partners…

What were they doing to cheat? I hate fuckers that do that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:18 pm 

My partner said one of the guys on the 1st hole accidentally moved his ball when he addressed it with his putter. I didn’t see it, but my partner was pretty PO’ed about it and in that environment he should have called it on himself. On three occasions one or both of the guys hit their drives what was clearly OB, yet magically “found” it in play each time. The fact that they never hit a provisional meant they were going to find it one way or another. The first two times we were on opposite sides of the fairway, but the third time I was all over it and drove over to find the guy searching for his ball. I had already suggested he hit a provisional on the tee, then he tries this lame-ass reasoning about it being a water hazard and played dumb about the rules so he would not have to go back to the tee.

I had to distance myself from a long-time golf partner a few years back because the every-trick-in-the-book cheating became too much. I don’t claim to know all the rules inside and out, but I do my best and was really surprised to see it in this environment.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:20 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
My partner said one of the guys on the 1st hole accidentally moved his ball when he addressed it with his putter. I didn’t see it, but my partner was pretty PO’ed about it and in that environment he should have called it on himself. On three occasions one or both of the guys hit their drives what was clearly OB, yet magically “found” it in play each time. The fact that they never hit a provisional meant they were going to find it one way or another. The first two times we were on opposite sides of the fairway, but the third time I was all over it and drove over to find the guy searching for his ball. I had already suggested he hit a provisional on the tee, then he tries this lame-ass reasoning about it being a water hazard and played dumb about the rules so he would not have to go back to the tee.

I had to distance myself from a long-time golf partner a few years back because the every-trick-in-the-book cheating became too much. I don’t claim to know all the rules inside and out, but I do my best and was really surprised to see it in this environment.

Yeah that sucks and takes all of the enjoyment out of it. If you are playing tournament golf, it is by the book. Just out playing, I could give 2 shits.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:27 pm 

We still won both parts of the match. Was expecting some gamesmanship on the match play and giving putts, but that never materialized.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:05 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:

It seems like its really well run so I assume they know what to do with sandbaggers and cheaters. I would guess that sandbaggers get moved up to the higher flights once their scores start to come in a lot lower than their handicap.

Don't really care about cheaters at this point, only concerned with playing well in tournament conditions. For all I know I might be one of the cheaters given my decades of liberally construing the rules of golf. Hopefully the other competitiers are nice enough to help a guy out who may not know all the intricacies of where to drop and stuff like that.

Definitely need a vape-friendly environment, but if I gotta play without it no big deal. Speaking of which I just got some new stuff called pot butter, its concentrated THC, looks like brown sugar. Gonna stop on the way home and get a new vape pen and give it a whirl. Pot technology is getting really sophisticated with it becoming legal. All sorts of new ways to ingest. Next week someoen is gonna give me THC drops that you put in your drink with an eye dropper.

yea I'll hit that Harborside tourny or maybe I'll skip that one. Not a fan of that course as you know, but I did end up playing it a few times at the end of the year. If you can get on cheap its not bad and the italian sausage sandwich at the halfway house is amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:09 pm 

shakes wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

It seems like its really well run so I assume they know what to do with sandbaggers and cheaters. I would guess that sandbaggers get moved up to the higher flights once their scores start to come in a lot lower than their handicap.

Don't really care about cheaters at this point, only concerned with playing well in tournament conditions. For all I know I might be one of the cheaters given my decades of liberally construing the rules of golf. Hopefully the other competitiers are nice enough to help a guy out who may not know all the intricacies of where to drop and stuff like that.

Definitely need a vape-friendly environment, but if I gotta play without it no big deal. Speaking of which I just got some new stuff called pot butter, its concentrated THC, looks like brown sugar. Gonna stop on the way home and get a new vape pen and give it a whirl. Pot technology is getting really sophisticated with it becoming legal. All sorts of new ways to ingest. Next week someoen is gonna give me THC drops that you put in your drink with an eye dropper.

yea I'll hit that Harborside tourny or maybe I'll skip that one. Not a fan of that course as you know, but I did end up playing it a few times at the end of the year. If you can get on cheap its not bad and the italian sausage sandwich at the halfway house is amazing.

:lol:

2 paragraphs about golf, then a paragraph about weed and then back to golf.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:12 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
shakes wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

If I threw in a paragraph about hockey and then another about the tv shows I like you could basically print it out and one day put it on my headstone.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:44 pm 

shakes wrote:

People were generally really cool about helping out with rulings and not letting you jam yourself up. The cheating was only an issue for me because it was during the Ryder Cup style format, so it wasn’t stroke play against the field and we were competing against a twosome doing it right in our faces. I think you will really enjoy the tour.

Hawg Ass wrote:
2 paragraphs about golf, then a paragraph about weed and then back to golf. :lol:

shakes haiku

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Hawg Ass wrote:
shakes wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

Sounds good to me.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:18 pm 

So, who is in charge of putting together our first get together? I will nominate anybody but myself.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:21 pm 
Is the snow gonna be gone by the time it hits 50 on Wednesday? Or at least gone enough to play 18?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Baby McNown wrote:
Is the snow gonna be gone by the time it hits 50 on Wednesday? Or at least gone enough to play 18?

I doubt it. St. Andrew's in West Chicago is open all year.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:40 pm 

Chus wrote:
Baby McNown wrote:

I doubt it. St. Andrew's in West Chicago is open all year.

I can't fathom how sloppy it would be even if it is melted. The ground is really going to have to thaw also, they are saying up here that the ground is frozed down below 2 feet and some places worse than that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:12 am 

Well, I headed up to the Milwaukee Golfsmith and managed to get what I was looking for. Fortunately found
the X3 Hot Deep 13 degree wood in the used club section as they didn't have a new one. It had the correct
shaft on it and was in good shape. For $139 I saved myself a nice chunk of change there. I had planned on
waiting for the new SM5 Vokey wedges but settled on last years SM4 models as they were all on sale for $109
a piece. Got a 56 and 60 degree in the exact grinds I wanted. Excited to use them. Only thing I have left
to do is get a few clubs regripped and I am all set.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:09 am 

What grinds did you get? Never played Vokeys, but the OTR bounce/grinds options really make them appealing. My wedge game was strong years ago with the OG Cleveland 588 and I'm still playing a version of those with heel/toe relief (GTO tour grind, whatever the hell that is). Would love to be able to demo different grinds on in actual grass/sand.

-Hank Kingsley

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 668 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next