It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Hmm...

Report says Brandmeier still 6-9 followed by all sports.

WGN registered several domain names two weeks ago, all to the theme of 87.7 "The Game." Let the competition begin!

http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news/63 ... tly-sports

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:38 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
That's a real murderers row. Jim shorts would be the highlight.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
If Jim Shorts is what I think it is then that is just about the most annoying voice in the world that isn't Harry.

A 3rd station is a good idea but this list of talent sucks worse than listening to Mully and Larry for 24 hours. Get some fucking young people on the radio already. Aside from Kap these guys have to all be in their mid 50's to 60's.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
When are they signing Chet?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:05 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Mac on drive time wold be a big "get" for an upstart station.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:09 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
I like Pete McMurray,Kaplan & Shorts. I'm excited to give it a listen.

The WGN.FM simulcast on 87.7 will begin on Monday afternoon. Beginning on Tuesday, "The G" becomes "The Game," which will be more focused on sports, according to insiders. Brandmeier's morning show will be much more sports-oriented -- an area he has traditionally been weak in. Joining him will be Harry Teinowitz, Spike Manton, and David Kaplan. Teinowitz and Manton, along with Kaplan, Jordan Bernfield, and Mark Carman are expected to have a larger role during the daytime for the new station. Pete McMurray, who is quite comfortable talking about sports, could also have a role on the new 87.7 station. The Jim Shorts character of Kevin Matthews' is also looking at having a show of his own, but not Kevin Matthews as himself.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:11 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Spike & Harry?

An entire show of Shorts only in-character?

Would have listened. Likely won't.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:13 pm 

Hey,wait a minute....How come most of those guys are Jewish?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:36 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Jim Shorts/You Tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2p9bkVyS44

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBFEU_cF3Tw

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
jimmypasta wrote:

because the Jewish folks control the media. Where ya been?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
I wonder what their signal is like. Apparently their stick is on the Hancock, which should help, but not all radios even tune to 87.7.

On the programming side, making Brandmeier talk sports is a mistake. Punt morning drive as far as sports-talk goes and just let him be who he is. WFAN thrived with an inherited Don Imus squatting in morning drive as if it were still WNBC. Focus on winning the rest of the day. You can do it; the Score's never been weaker in my time listening.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:21 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Curious Hair wrote:
I wonder what their signal is like. Apparently their stick is on the Hancock, which should help, but not all radios even tune to 87.7.

On the programming side, making Brandmeier talk sports is a mistake. Punt morning drive as far as sports-talk goes and just let him be who he is. WFAN thrived with an inherited Don Imus squatting in morning drive as if it were still WNBC. Focus on winning the rest of the day. You can do it; the Score's never been weaker in my time listening.

It'll be like when Dahl tried doing it with Spruce Wolf. Was horrible. This whole station sounds horrible. Spike Manton? Kevin Matthews not coming out of character and using Jim Shorts exclusively ? Even the Cubs have a better talent lineup.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:39 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Q.Bovifs wrote:
Count me in as wanting to hear some Pollack, M.ick or Daygo regular fan-type guys talking sports and not a bunch of Bourgeoisie PowerAgent-having Jewish types or Golden Age has-beens.

There are lots of Jewish meatballs out there. I grew up with tons of them. I think my buddy Mike still jerks off while dreaming about Bob Thomas' kick to beat the Giants in '77.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:57 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
my imaginary "Chicago Defender" story radio lineup was better than this.

Ug.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:58 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
jimmypasta wrote:

Because they're all Illuminati. When you get to a station as big as "The G" you're dealing with a bunch of 'brothers' who look damn sexy in that special apron.

That's why they'll never let Laurence Holmes host any sort of consistent show; if he were to join the Illuminati (required to have that show) everyone knows he'd be secretly working to destroy the organization from within as he's Lantern Corps through and through.

You know, it's like they say on the streets: you can take the brother out of the comic book store, but you can't take the comic book store out of the brother.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:08 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

It'll be like when Dahl tried doing it with Spruce Wolf. Was horrible. This whole station sounds horrible. Spike Manton? Kevin Matthews not coming out of character and using Jim Shorts exclusively ? Even the Cubs have a better talent lineup.

Yeah, I have my doubts about this one. Here's some fine reporting from Larz:

Quote:
The WGN.FM simulcast on 87.7 will begin on Monday afternoon. Beginning on Tuesday, "The G" becomes "The Game," which will be more focused on sports, according to insiders.

A station called "The Game" will be "more focused on sports"? Thanks, insiders

Quote:
Brandmeier's morning show will be much more sports-oriented -- an area he has traditionally been weak in. Joining him will be Harry Teinowitz, Spike Manton, and David Kaplan. Teinowitz and Manton, along with Kaplan, Jordan Bernfield, and Mark Carman are expected to have a larger role during the daytime for the new station. Pete McMurray, who is quite comfortable talking about sports, could also have a role on the new 87.7 station. The Jim Shorts character of Kevin Matthews' is also looking at having a show of his own, but not Kevin Matthews as himself.

1) Brandmeier sharing his show with Harry and Father Of The Year makes no sense at all
2) No one cares about Jordan Bernfield
3) OH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS STATION'S OBSESSION WITH PETE MCMURRAY JESUS CHRIST HE'S SO OVEREXPOSED HE MAKES LEERY LOOK LIKE MIKE ESPOSITO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:14 am 

Maybe the reason Brandmeiers show has been traditionally weak in sports is because he doesn't want to talk fucking sports and he's not good at it, dumbfucks.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:47 am 

Just out of curiosity, who here has a car radio or clock radio that doesn't tune below 88.1 or 87.9?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
If I'm reading what was posted on that board correctly (Brandmeier, Kaplan, Hary and Spike on the SAME SHOW?), then I don't know WTF DeCastro is thinking - it totally goes against any logical thing he's ever done in Chicago radio. My only guess is that he doesn't want to sign Brandmeier long-term for whatever reason, and this may be a way to poison the water for Brandmeier since he doesn't have a contract, anyway (although DeC could always just be upfront and tell him goodbye if that's what he wants).

Then again, considering the source of the report, I'm not so sure that what's being reported is necessarily accurate, especially with some recent misfires of his. If the station is truly going on a sports-oriented bent, then what's with the "Pugs and Kelly" and "Abe Kanan" deals? Are they going to be sports shows, too?

It makes much more sense to leave the Brandmeier show as it is (and it has been really good since he left the AM), and then load up on sports or whatever afterward.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:07 pm 

Agreed. Couple other thoughts that crossed my mind during this morning's palm-lined jog:

"The Game." Seriously? Look at all the sports talk stations in America, from New York down to Tulsa. They all have the same names:

The Fan
The Score
The Game
The Ticket
The Jock
The Team
The Play

Then, of course, the networks: ESPN, Fox Sports, Yahoo Sports, C-B-S-SPORTS-RA-DI-O!!!, etc. So why not, then, deviate from the sound of a station that could be anywhere, or a station that's part of a national network, and simply identify as "WGN Sports 87.7"? Chicago's Very Own, right? No Yankees talk, no John Feinstein commentaries, just a Chicago sports talk station under the most quintessentially Chicago banner. Does "WGN" still connote Establishment? Yes, but they had no compunctions about using those letters for their Totes McGotes Radical Freeform Media flop. (Then again, maybe that's why it was a flop.) But I mean, if the idea here is to air the Cubs and Hawks in FM audio and then have Dave Kaplan on a lot, then face it, you are WGN Sports. That's just it.

Speaking of WGN's two teams, I don't know who the hell Spike Manton is, but I know Barry Rozner would be great at talking about them. It'd be a better use of his talents than staying at a station where Cubs and Blackhawks talk are lower on the depth chart than Bears, White Sox, Bulls, Miami Heat, gay marriage, Matt Bowen, Popovich, jerking off over corporate lawyers suing small businesses, wang-whipping, and random Deadspin articles. The Score has painted itself into a weird, bad corner here, and there's now an opening to deliver some fire-in-the-belly sports talk, particularly when concerning the only team of the five that actually seems to give a fuck these days. Or we could just have Jordan Bernfield deliver some pleasantly anesthetized talk about how the Cubs need to get better at things but will be good whenever because stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:32 pm 

This'll give Tom Waddle the opportunity to work again w/ his buddy Kap, while being able to maintain a daytime workslot (the reason he left WGN in the first place was having to work evenings).

Silvy, then, could be paired w/ Jurko & take the afternoon crown from B&B.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:39 pm 

Hacks and retreads. This is what passes for ideas in sports radio in this city? That lineup indicates management has no imagination and no desire to take a chance.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Now I am even more surprised that Mitch didn't move to WGN. This would have been the perfect scenario for him and "The Game".

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:20 pm 

The transformation is complete Kevin Matthews is now the alter ego

Harry and spike was the worst sports radio this city has ever seen

I imagine this lineup is just a placeholder until they find talent

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:35 pm 

They're tanking right now, so when Mac's contract is up they'll have enough money to compete.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:11 am 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
http://www.robertfeder.com/2014/02/17/w ... ame-begin/

Getting retreads is one thing. And dedicating the station to younger, more educated (not meatball) fans is another. But getting retreads AND dictating that the station will be dedicated to the younger more educated fans is beyond absurd.

This station is going to only pull old people.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:11 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Quote:
Jimmy deCastro, president and general manager of news/talk WGN, said of the new addition. “We want this to be young and hip and fun.”

Nothing says "young and hip" to me more than Harry & Spike.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:17 am 

I guess according to an article in the Trib,at 10pm,they switch to the national NBC Sports Network.

They should use that 10-1 slot to try out different talent locally. This looks like they slapped it together in a few days with that line-up. I wonder if Kaplan wanted this switch. He's leaving WGN for a station that is being eliminated in 16 months due to FCC regulations.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:19 am 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Quote:
Jimmy deCastro, president and general manager of news/talk WGN, said of the new addition. “We want this to be young and hip and fun.”

Nothing says "young and hip" to me more than Harry & Spike.

Its not like Jimmy D doesn't know what he's doing . I suspect when certain contracts are up at other stations he will be a major player in getting talent to make the move. He knows this lineup is shit and is biding his time. He's the Theo of sports talk radio at this point.

Last edited by badrogue17 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:23 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Its not like Jimmy D doesn't know what he's doing . I suspect when certain contracts are up at other statin he will be a major player in getting talent to make the move. He knows this lineup is shit and is biding his time. He's the Theo of sports talk radio at this point.

I agree. But, I believe Harry & Spike was the big show when they rolled out WMVP 20 years ago also. I just don't know why you'd want to cover that ground again in drive-time on a brand new station. Do something new.