It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:14 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
...Sarah Spain.

Just after the last hourly break on Brandmeier's show.

Please tell me I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:29 am 

You're wrong for listening to Brandmeier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:22 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
It did sound like her. :x

And I was wrong for listening for Brandmeier, too. His show is the equivalent of listening to Mully and Hanley talking about non-sports topics. Lots of incomplete thoughts, repetition, talking in circles, and bad jokes. Actually, that's what Mully and Hanley also sound like when talking about sports, but you know what I mean.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
They still haven't been able to change the callsign? Awkwaaarrrrd, particularly when the actual WKQX brands itself as simply "WKQX." Though "WGNG" isn't much better. Makes me think of "gong."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:05 pm 
1000 CLUB

Being a huge fan of Brandmeier in the halcyon days of AM 1000, it's a little sad to hear what he has become. I feel the same way about Meier, but I'm not surprised. He was never meant to drive a show.

Let's do it for Johnny!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:07 pm 

Dallas Winston wrote:
Being a huge fan of Brandmeier in the halcyon days of AM 1000, it's a little sad to hear what he has become. I feel the same way about Meier, but I'm not surprised. He was never meant to drive a show.

No joke. I gave Brandmeier one chance in 2007 and it was without a doubt the worst radio I had ever heard.

Chauncey's Outdoor show was better
The show about sports memorabilia was better

It was so bad, its hard to imagine that person ever being good

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:12 pm 
1000 CLUB

rogers park bryan wrote:
Dallas Winston wrote:

No joke. I gave Brandmeier one chance in 2007 and it was without a doubt the worst radio I had ever heard.

Yeah he didn't just lose his fastball. He lost the damn ball outright. He was never really the same after he went to L.A. That city just stole his soul. I don't know how old you are, but Johhny B with buzz from 86-90 was as good as anything I've ever heard.

Let's do it for Johnny!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:13 pm 

Dallas Winston wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Dallas Winston wrote:

Yeah he didn't just lose his fastball. He lost the damn ball outright. He was never really the same after he went to L.A. That city just stole his soul. I don't know how old you are, but Johhny B with buzz from 86-90 was as good as anything I've ever heard.

I was young then, but I remember being aware of him. He must have been decent.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Johnny B is just awful these days. He jumps all over the place & is an absolutely terrible interviewer, even worse than Jimmy Fallon.
I will be shocked if DeCastro keeps him when his contract is up.

Garry Meier on the other hand is better than he has ever been. I enjoy his show.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Scorehead wrote:

Garry Meier on the other hand is better than he has ever been. I enjoy his show.

:puker: :puker: :puker:

Where does one begin to rip Meier.

1. He is far from intelligent. OK, he is plain out flat dumb. He is really lacking in common sense, makes for a terrible listen.

2. I can't get past the hypocrisy of a guy spending 20 years in Chicago making fun of old ladies calling in to talk about the dreadful weather, then he is the first guy to give you a "Lets go out to mable in hillcrest" ..."OOhh Garry, it is awful out here right now, 2 -3 inches of snow. I am making some cocoa and not venturing out until spring"

I keep waiting for the punchline, waiting for him to joke around with her, but nope, thats his show now!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:29 am 

bigfan wrote:
Scorehead wrote:

:puker: :puker: :puker:

Where does one begin to rip Meier.

1. He is far from intelligent. OK, he is plain out flat dumb. He is really lacking in common sense, makes for a terrible listen.

2. I can't get past the hypocrisy of a guy spending 20 years in Chicago making fun of old ladies calling in to talk about the dreadful weather, then he is the first guy to give you a "Lets go out to mable in hillcrest" ..."OOhh Garry, it is awful out here right now, 2 -3 inches of snow. I am making some cocoa and not venturing out until spring"

I keep waiting for the punchline, waiting for him to joke around with her, but nope, thats his show now!

I can't blame Meier for the "hypocrisy" - sure, he ripped on 'GN and their callers back in the day, but so did everyone else skewing toward the younger demo at the time. FF to 2014, and Meier IS the demo he used to make fun of - the dude's in his mid-60s :D . Having said that, though, I don't much care for his show. He sounds like an old man who is losing his hearing - he almost yells half the time - not as a bit, or mock anger, but like he can't hear himself. His final top-of-the-hour banter with Skilling is OK to switch to to avoid Larry.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:30 am 

Appears the new call letters have gone through, BUT this morning I heard a new identifier: "WGWG-LP".

No big deal, but not WGNG...

SHARK, where are you when we really need you (but at least keep it under a paragraph...)???

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:35 am 

Scorehead wrote:
Johnny B is just awful these days. He jumps all over the place & is an absolutely terrible interviewer, even worse than Jimmy Fallon.
I will be shocked if DeCastro keeps him when his contract is up.

Yes, Johnny B is a bad interviewer. Never was his strong suit.

Johnny B does not have a contract, so DeCastro can let him go right now if he wants. Won't happen, though, because that would be stupid at this point.

Garry Meier is, was, and always will be a good sidekick, and a very mediocre at best host and show-driver.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:42 am 

Sarah Spain is not properly utilized.

She could really make it big if she went full on bimbo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:52 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
I couldn't see Sarah leaving the ESPN umbrella.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:55 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Oh, she'll go anywhere that will give her more exposure, provided none of the exposure is from about the waist down.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:48 pm 

Sarah Spain got famous by offering herself as a date to the SuperBowl in 07 right?