It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "IF"
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Seems like they just opened a restaurant and said..."let's see what happens" and they will make changes everyday over the next year?

Post subject: Re: "IF"
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:41 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
I wonder what the contract length is for the on air people over there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:42 pm 

bigfan wrote:
Seems like they just opened a restaurant and said..."let's see what happens" and they will make changes everyday over the next year?

Yea for a guy who's been in the biz for as long as DeCastro, this really seems patched together.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:44 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
bigfan wrote:

Yea for a guy who's been in the biz for as long as DeCastro, this really seems patched together.

and I think they hired finfer to run everything for them. Hey, its a great move for fiinfer, he can easily be the Pd of the place at this point.

Quigs....giving me a little Smarmy "tude.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
What if this station was created with the eventual goal of being the sole official radio network of The Cubs or The Blackhawks? That may explain the "winging it" initial programming? Just a conspiratorial thought...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:23 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Godfella wrote:
What if this station was created with the eventual goal of being the sole official radio network of The Cubs or The Blackhawks? That may explain the "winging it" initial programming? Just a conspiratorial thought...

I had that same thought. It might be a bargaining chip in negotians,but I think the Cubs radio rights are locked in for 4 more years. I'm not sure.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:26 pm 

Godfella wrote:

Then they would have done a MUCH better job, because this doesnt impress anyone.

I guess when they sign Mac they will have another grand opening

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:27 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Seems clear to me and someone else posted that they are using it as prep and evaluation. The goal is to come very strong when they are allowed to own a real freq.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Godfella wrote:

Why would they offload the Blackhawks when they're responsible for anyone listening to 720 in the winter?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:29 pm 

Testing ground for new talent? See who has potential I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:31 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Godfella wrote:

Why would they offload the Blackhawks when they're responsible for anyone listening to 720 in the winter?

Conspiratorial theories often make no sense :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:35 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
So long as it doesn't zap Finji like it did Webby. (And a little bit of Jesse since he was the PD)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:59 pm 

CH, what's the eventual frequency landing spot for this station?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:05 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:

I don't know, but we can do a little deductive reasoning and come up with some frequencies that might be in play. The ones I've narrowed it down to are 94.3, 94.7, 95.5, and 100.3.

WLS-FM might be a redundancy for Cumulus now that they have the Loop and KQX. They're not willing to commit to a real oldies format, and they can't seem to figure out that trying to out-Drive the Drive is inherently doomed. Payroll is high, billing isn't. Decent chance they divest; five stations are a lot to own, especially when your big one (WLS-AM) is shedding listeners and billing like a retriever sheds fur.
EDIT: from Feder, billing for WLS-FM last year was $7,900,000, down from $10,571,000. Yep, there's your clubhouse leader.

100.3 is a redundancy for Hubbard, who have decided that they wish to own two stations that target the exact same adult female demographic, but don't wish for the adult female demographic to listen to the one that isn't the Mix. This was most evident when they hired Robert Murphy to do the morning show, then fired him because he was siphoning listeners from Eric and Kathy. Their format seems to be adult contemporary with workplace-friendly XRT-ish stuff mixed in -- so Anna Kendrick, Fleetwood Mac, and the Goo Goo Dolls. Station just kind of is. They're also competing with 93.9, who gave up on the Lite FM thing. I could see it sold for the right price. This and 94.7 have both been hot potatoes over the years.

94.3 is a Christian station owned by something called the "Educational Media Foundation," which does satellite formats of Christian music, and boy does it take some balls to call yourself that to do that. Maybe they need the money and are willing to sell. Evangelical stations tend to do poorly in this Catholic market. (Remember 106.7 The Fish?) Still a longshot, though, because the overhead for the station must be ridiculously low.

95.5 has had trouble competing in the Spanish market. I think they're running a Norteño format, which is that Mexican polka music that painters and landscapers seem to like so much. It's actually because the Poles and Czechs settled northern Mexico and brought their accordions with. But the point is their ratings suck.

So those are the four I'd keep an eye out for. CBS stations are obviously out of play, as are all the rimshots.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:24 am 

bigfan wrote:

I think it very similar to the early days of the Score, which was not very good.

If you look at the way management envisioned the Score from the beginning, that station would have sucked

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Curious Hair wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

I don't know, but we can do a little deductive reasoning and come up with some frequencies that might be in play. The ones I've narrowed it down to are 94.3, 94.7, 95.5, and 100.3.

WLS-FM might be a redundancy for Cumulus now that they have the Loop and KQX. They're not willing to commit to a real oldies format, and they can't seem to figure out that trying to out-Drive the Drive is inherently doomed. Payroll is high, billing isn't. Decent chance they divest; five stations are a lot to own, especially when your big one (WLS-AM) is shedding listeners and billing like a retriever sheds fur.
EDIT: from Feder, billing for WLS-FM last year was $7,900,000, down from $10,571,000. Yep, there's your clubhouse leader.

100.3 is a redundancy for Hubbard, who have decided that they wish to own two stations that target the exact same adult female demographic, but don't wish for the adult female demographic to listen to the one that isn't the Mix. This was most evident when they hired Robert Murphy to do the morning show, then fired him because he was siphoning listeners from Eric and Kathy. Their format seems to be adult contemporary with workplace-friendly XRT-ish stuff mixed in -- so Anna Kendrick, Fleetwood Mac, and the Goo Goo Dolls. Station just kind of is. They're also competing with 93.9, who gave up on the Lite FM thing. I could see it sold for the right price. This and 94.7 have both been hot potatoes over the years.

94.3 is a Christian station owned by something called the "Educational Media Foundation," which does satellite formats of Christian music, and boy does it take some balls to call yourself that to do that. Maybe they need the money and are willing to sell. Evangelical stations tend to do poorly in this Catholic market. (Remember 106.7 The Fish?) Still a longshot, though, because the overhead for the station must be ridiculously low.

95.5 has had trouble competing in the Spanish market. I think they're running a Norteño format, which is that Mexican polka music that painters and landscapers seem to like so much. It's actually because the Poles and Czechs settled northern Mexico and brought their accordions with. But the point is their ratings suck.

So those are the four I'd keep an eye out for. CBS stations are obviously out of play, as are all the rimshots.

Does your job involve covering media/radio? Because if it doesn't (or hell, even if it does), putting that post together in an hour was pretty damn impressive! :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
good dolphin wrote:
I think it very similar to the early days of the Score, which was not very good.

Mike in Milwaukee wrote:
Who are YOOOOUUUU crappin??.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:29 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Does your job involve covering media/radio? Because if it doesn't (or hell, even if it does), putting that post together in an hour was pretty damn impressive! :shock:

CH knows his stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:39 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:

Covering, no, but I keep tabs. I used to do copywriting/creative services for some station clusters in the suburbs, I interned at ESPN Milwaukee, and now I've moved on to other media-related projects. Nine-tenths retired from the copywriting, though once in a blue moon my words and/or voice will turn up if I have to help someone out of a jam. I have radio in my blood and have thus far failed to get it out. It was the one thing I said I'd never grow up to do and then I did it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:54 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Mike in Milwaukee wrote:
Who are YOOOOUUUU crappin??.

Take a look at the opening day lineup for the Score.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:57 pm 

Wasn't it Tom Shaer and Jim Memolo, North and Jiggetts, and a rotation of Boers, Mac, and Hanley? They launched in Feburary, so there wouldn't have been any Murph before sunset.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:02 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
I thought Rozner was in the mix early on?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
For all of you young Scoreheads out there, this link contains everything there is to know about WSCR from day 1.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/category/the-scores-20th-anniversary/the-history-of-670-the-score/feed/

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:47 pm 

I was there from Day 1. I was counting down the days. It kept getting delayed waiting for some FCC approval.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:03 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Hatchetman wrote:
I was there from Day 1. I was counting down the days. It kept getting delayed waiting for some FCC approval.

yep,so was I. I loved the SCORE. I came up with the idea of throwing my wife a surprise birthday party during the taping of "The Mike North Show" at Basta Pasta.
He interviewed Elton Brand and wished my wife a Happy Birthday on the air. She stood up and after about 30 seconds,Mike said : "Sit down,you going to stand for the whole show?" :lol:

How could I ever hate THAT guy?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:27 am 

pizza_Place: Lugi's of Hong Kong
Curious Hair wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

IF that Mexican Polka history story is true thank you and if it's totally bs well then double thanks.
It always blows my mind when you pull up to a light and you see a Mexican kid blasting that crap as if he was raised in a Wisconsin super club.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:33 am 

I see some similarities but never confused Norteno with Frankie Yankovic! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:43 am 

8675309 wrote:
IF that Mexican Polka history story is true thank you and if it's totally bs well then double thanks.
It always blows my mind when you pull up to a light and you see a Mexican kid blasting that crap as if he was raised in a Wisconsin super club.

Quote:
In the 1850s Europeans from Germany (first during Spanish time and 1830s), Poland, and what is now the Czech Republic migrated to Texas and Mexico, bringing with them their style of music and dance. They brought with them the waltz, polkas and other popular forms of music and dance.