It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116 ... 185  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
sinicalypse wrote:
I'm stuck in an ungodly line/wait situation and I wanna say that I've made it through nitzer Ebb's that total age to the point I'm hitting join in the chant remixes. This sucks. At least the people right in front of me just went (despite the 1030 chick still shittin there. Anarchy!)

wow, that's a blast from the past

might give that one a listen now

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers

I am by no means a U2 fan but am familiar with quite a bit of their work. never owned an album
by them. I know they appear to be a band you either love or hate so I am going to give this
album a spin and see how it goes. I bet I haven't heard this since it first came out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:31 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's

AND

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:41 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
i need something more pubtransy today so i'm looking forward to... (as always click on the image for the best song off of it)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Joynt, Milan IL

Going to see these guys the day before Easter at the Vic.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:28 pm 

looks like a friendly group

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:50 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:50 pm 

i had to get on an aphex twin kick before the day's out. right now i'm doing the baby ford - normal (helston flora remix) which is all kinds of awesome, especially on the breakdown where aphex fucks with a voice mail left by baby ford with some much needed advice on how to remix his record.

</exhibitionism>

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:10 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
"Pubtransy" is a definitely a bar that I would not go to.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:18 am 

hey doug, man, you know in spirit of philomusica (or whatever the latin for "love of music" would be) i'd love to have you someday sit down and hear this album and get your take on it: (as always, click on the picture for the best song off of the album, and this is the one that introduced me to trouble funk via hearing that sample on backspin 43 once like HOLY FUCK THAT'S THE SAMPLE SQUAREPUSHER USED IN FAT CONTROLLER!!! * checked sirius player * trouble funk, eh? gotta look them up cuz tom [jenkinson] wouldn't lead me astray" --- favorite funk band ensues.

...and then we can talk about that one interview your boy billy c had where he said electronic music was great because nothing had really been accomplished in the genre yet =D just kidding there, but yeah this album for my $$$ (and naturally i've got it on vinyl) is one of the pinnacles of electronic music and a large part of the reason that 1997 is the holy year for so-called "idm"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:10 am 

Best album I've heard so far in 2014

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:32 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
^^Only one listen so far, but I'm liking it a lot.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:35 am 

oh shit, you damn hipsters cant even say the name of the album so i can look it up. so from what i gather the artist is "st vincent" (pretty sure she's a pretentious-but-would-bang-anyways chick i saw one night on colbert) and the album is the extrapolation of something and other?

i'm trying to dig up a song from this to hear what the fuss is about, and evidently i gotta earn it... any single track suggestions guys? it's a mp3 player enema friday over here.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:40 am 

oh and on a suggestion i'm giving "imperative reaction: eulogy for the sick child" a go today. here's the artwork:

knowing the guy who recommended it to me it's prolly synth-driven post-/industrial/EBM, i mean he's the guy who got me listening to funker vogt maschine zeit and fuck if i remember the names of the other "must get" albums by them he mentioned.

...hey at least it's not VNV nation, eh?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:43 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
sinicalypse wrote:
oh shit, you damn hipsters cant even say the name of the album so i can look it up. so from what i gather the artist is "st vincent" (pretty sure she's a pretentious-but-would-bang-anyways chick i saw one night on colbert) and the album is the extrapolation of something and other?

i'm trying to dig up a song from this to hear what the fuss is about, and evidently i gotta earn it... any single track suggestions guys? it's a mp3 player enema friday over here.

It's a self-titled album. Here's the best song on the album, very Talking Heads/Prince: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVAxUMuhz98 Also very relevant to the social media talk we've all been having this week.

I agree that it's the early leader for AOTY, but this looks like it'll be a big year.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:54 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
It's a self-titled album. Here's the best song on the album, very Talking Heads/Prince: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVAxUMuhz98 Also very relevant to the social media talk we've all been having this week.

I agree that it's the early leader for AOTY, but this looks like it'll be a big year.

thanks CH. i hope it's good early 80s talking heads and not later "david byrne got his head stuck up his ass which is quite an amazing feat because his head was always in his ass in the first place" stuff. even tho the dropoff isn't dramatic as i make it out to be, yeah still, that early stuff was phenomenal. i can't lie.

this song has a nice little hip-hoppy 2-step for me so i'm on it. merci. and hey CH man, i tell you what..... idk how you are into rap but one album i wanna recommmend to you is redman's "dare iz a darkside" --- it's from 1994, sure, but the production is all really direct/visceral samples of old funk stuff, so it's got this aura/atmosphere of dark funk and redman is seriously one of the top-5 rappers of all time when he gives a shit. he's a phenomenal rapper who for my $$$ (yes and i've got a lot of the good shit from whut the album to malpractice on vinyl) is the best punchline rapper to ever rap.

and redman always hooks it the fuck up on his albums.... tracks 13-end are always bangers that just go and go and go. i've noticed that on all of his stuff from, say, dare iz a darkside, muddy waters, doc's da name 2000, and malpractice (aka the quintessential 4 LPs for redman)

but hey i'm sure if i keep talking like that spmack will show up and tell me to quiet down [inferring i'm obviously unqualified to say suck, lol freudian typo, such things, just like when i said the totally stupid dumbass thing that pharoahe monch is the best rapper in new york] =D

PEACE AND LOVE, SPMACKMAN, PEACE AND LOVE!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:57 am 

It's closest to Fear of Music and Remain in Light, yes. Talking Heads after Speaking in Tongues is hardly worth acknowledging.

Checking out Hard Normal Daddy now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:24 pm 

i snagged a ticket to her show at the Riv in April...figure why not, i'm already going to like a million shows the next few months, what's 1 more

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:50 pm 

Pitchfork gives the new St. Vincent an 8.6! God, they give everything an 8.5 +/- .3 now! They've become such pussies. Enjoy the LAMESTREAM.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:52 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Pitchfork gives the new St. Vincent an 8.6! God, they give everything an 8.5 +/- .3 now! They've become such pussies. Enjoy the LAMESTREAM.

well, they did give the Beck album a lukewarm review, and he's headlining their fest..

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:57 pm 

6.8. I think someone was dyslexic and the review will be amended by the end of the day.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:01 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
6.8. I think someone was dyslexic and the review will be amended by the end of the day.

Did you like the new Beck album CH? I onlly listened once and enjoyed it. Wasn't expecting it to be as mellow as
it was and while I gravitate to that type of music, kinda expected a few more that were upbeat.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:03 pm 

The stuff from it that I've heard on the radio is okay, but I never really got into Beck, so it's hard for me to work up any emotion.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:23 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
The stuff from it that I've heard on the radio is okay, but I never really got into Beck, so it's hard for me to work up any emotion.

i'll give it a spin but yeah, never been a huge fan

i was at Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks over at Lincoln Hall last Thursday and in the encore he played 2 Beck songs, i had no clue what they were until after the fact

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha

Picked this vinyl up yesterday, virgin vinyl, $16.
Perfect music for this godamn fucking miserable winter.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Take up every bit of those 750 allowed vertical pixels, you badass.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:04 am 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:17 am 

Bagels wrote:

How is it?

And btw, Beck is awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:21 am 

its probably what you'd expect- super slick, smooth, tight grooves...the song w/ Daft Punk could have been off Daft Punk's album
very dancey

i like it , but i never know how to process this sort of stuff . feels disposable

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:23 pm 

Lost in the Dream by The War on Drugs. Interesting mix of Americana and psychedelia. Second track is like Tom Petty on the moon. First track is just a big sprawling epic of synths and reverb. Very good stuff.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116 ... 185  Next