It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: "Fan"
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:48 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
When I hear these hosts talk about the Cubs and Sox, it's pretty damn obvious where their loyalties lie. It's like if you were really in love with a girl who wasn't your wife and she came to lunch with you and your wife. You couldn't hide your feelings for that woman. Your wife is gonna know.

I don't care who anyone roots for. Mac is right about that part. Who gives a fuck? But why pretend? What's the fucking point?

It reminds me of this sleeper movie with a young Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson. (Also a pre-Seinfeld Newman!) It's called Dead Again. Anyway, Robin Williams has an uncredited role and he steals the whole movie. Branagh's character has just quit smoking and it's really obvious. He's always fidgeting and moving his hands as if he is looking for a cigarette. Williams' character notices and says to him, "Someone is either a smoker or a nonsmoker. There's no in-between. The trick is to find out which one you are, and be that. If you're a nonsmoker, you'll know." I would suggest the same thing goes for being a Sox or Cubs fan. Figure out which one you are and be that.

Another good early Emma Thompson movie is The Tall Guy. Also has Jeff Goldblum in it who is fidgety and nervous but I'm not sure if he was a smoker. Emma Thompson has always gotten it done for me . Not overly pretty but there's something sexy about her .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:01 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Ill say this though, I could see souring on all the teams you cover over time.

I'm sure that's right. That's Rozner's stance- that he's a journalist, not a fan. But his affection for the Cubs and Hawks is obvious whenever you hear him talk about them. So I think, at least to some degree, he's full of shit. bernstein tries to take that stance too, though he isn't- and never really has been- a journalist. But my take is that it's easy for him. He's only a very casual fan of sports and has little emotional investment to begin with. This very subject came up in a recent transition. Mac was pretty adamant that his coverage of sports hasn't made him stop being a fan. He has his contempt for the Bears organization. But he's still a Hawks and Cubs fan.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:06 am 

SirTinkleButton wrote:
I'm really enjoying how every thread now has True Detective references in them. :D :lol:

I know who I am. And after all these years, there's a victory in that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:07 am 
Site Admin

W_Z wrote:
SirTinkleButton wrote:
I'm really enjoying how every thread now has True Detective references in them. :D :lol:

I know who I am. And after all these years, there's a victory in that.

Or a loss, if you know you're a Cubs fan.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:10 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Eaglo Jeff wrote:
I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:12 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Eaglo Jeff wrote:
I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!

:lol:

I had a Jeff one typed up last night and thought better of it. Was a True Blood reference

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:25 am 

I think it should be pointed out that professional fandom is mostly irrational and arbitrary.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:56 am 

Personally, I just hope every team gets a chance to win a championship in my lifetime. I root for the human race.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:56 am 

Score is doomed wrote:
Mac wrote:
Cubs fan posing as a Sox fan.

Or is it the other way?

Bandwagon fan.

"Can't be a fan if......"

Blah, blah, blah motherfucking blah.

What are you guys, 12 years old?

For the record... I don't give a flying fuck who ANYBODY roots for....when you root for them....why you root for them. Why would ANYBODY give a shit. I'm not going to ask for anybody to extend me the same courtesy and let me go my way. Either way, I don't give a damn about what you think you're entitled to.

Back on the booze? Try not to embarrass yourself again by pissing yourself on a road trip.

You are a no good sick fuck, that I wish nothing but the worst of deaths.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:21 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
wow.... after a good ~3 day run of having Mac post in our threads, we're back to this bullshit where he starts up a new thread with his thoughts on something said in another thread, and then he won't return to this thread to make replies as much as he probably loves to see how many more replies he can get than the average thread, which isn't really a big accomplishment when you stop and realize that the guy has his own subforum on this board.

take one step forward, take two steps back, eh mackeroo? this is possibly evidence that you're actually Beardown (which would be the hoot to end all hoots, and make a lot of sense too =) because he has the exact same mindset; "i'm a big enough deal. people might miss my thoughts if i post them in the thread where the subject is being discussed, so if i make my own thread everyone can see my posts.... which they need to, because i'm macdown!"

ah well, i had hope for you as a poster here.... that we could be something other than an ego stroke for you, but hey, i guess when you do have a subforum named after you there's always going to be some special snowflake status going on. and when these people talk about you drinking i can tell you as someone with an affinity for altered states that it's not about the first drink, it's about the second drink. be cool with that second drink and you'll always be fine, that is if you decide to go that route.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:27 am 

Huh?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:49 am 

sinicalypse wrote:
wow.... after a good ~3 day run of having Mac post in our threads, we're back to this bullshit where he starts up a new thread with his thoughts on something said in another thread, and then he won't return to this thread to make replies as much as he probably loves to see how many more replies he can get than the average thread, which isn't really a big accomplishment when you stop and realize that the guy has his own subforum on this board.

take one step forward, take two steps back, eh mackeroo? this is possibly evidence that you're actually Beardown (which would be the hoot to end all hoots, and make a lot of sense too =) because he has the exact same mindset; "i'm a big enough deal. people might miss my thoughts if i post them in the thread where the subject is being discussed, so if i make my own thread everyone can see my posts.... which they need to, because i'm macdown!"

ah well, i had hope for you as a poster here.... that we could be something other than an ego stroke for you, but hey, i guess when you do have a subforum named after you there's always going to be some special snowflake status going on. and when these people talk about you drinking i can tell you as someone with an affinity for altered states that it's not about the first drink, it's about the second drink. be cool with that second drink and you'll always be fine, that is if you decide to go that route.

Agreed.

God it would be hilarious is Mac were Beardown

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:54 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Ceiling
Box
Oscillating

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:07 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
Huh?

don't you have a board circlejerk to engage in whether it's here or that other board? go squee away with your "grabass" guys and leave the smart/cool/interesting people who actually have something to say alone, "hawger."

you don't want none of this, bulletin boardistically speaking of course =D

edit: for "hawger" and anyone else who doesn't know what i'm on about, in the past i've "called mac out" for being an attention whore here in regards to his desire to make new threads as opposed to actually conversating with us in our own threads. case in point = this thread. he obviously read the other thread where JORR claimed that him and bernstein are closet cubs fans, but instead of replying directly to JORR in the thread he was already in, for the reasons i previously covered he had to make a new thread (and likely not call out JORR because he knows that "with great power comes great responsibility" and therefore if he specifically mentions JORR then JORR will get the mac equivalent of "the colbert bump" and he doesn't want JORR to get any shine from being referenced directly by "the mighty mac" --- kind of like when abbatacola shat all over my tweet on air he didnt say it was from @homoputzoafus because he didnt want me to get any "shine" when i got my beatdown for having the audacity to say that he advocated that mel tucker keeps his job, when obviously he only said that mel tucker shouldn't be fired. big difference and believe you me i hang on his every word now because i want to be a smart guy like matt)

so yeah TL;DR = comeon mac, i know you ARE kind of a really big deal here, but methinks you'd really do a much better job of "being one of us" if you kept it on the level and addressed people in the threads that they said whatever in.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:15 am 

sinicalypse wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Huh?

don't you have a board circlejerk to engage in whether it's here or that other board? go squee away with your "grabass" guys and leave the smart/cool/interesting people who actually have something to say alone, "hawger."

you don't want none of this, bulletin boardistically speaking of course =D

edit: for "hawger" and anyone else who doesn't know what i'm on about, in the past i've "called mac out" for being an attention whore here in regards to his desire to make new threads as opposed to actually conversating with us in our own threads. case in point = this thread. he obviously read the other thread where JORR claimed that him and bernstein are closet cubs fans, but instead of replying directly to JORR in the thread he was already in, for the reasons i previously covered he had to make a new thread (and likely not call out JORR because he knows that "with great power comes great responsibility" and therefore if he specifically mentions JORR then JORR will get the mac equivalent of "the colbert bump" and he doesn't want JORR to get any shine from being referenced directly by "the mighty mac" --- kind of like when abbatacola shat all over my tweet on air he didnt say it was from @homoputzoafus because he didnt want me to get any "shine" when i got my beatdown for having the audacity to say that he advocated that mel tucker keeps his job, when obviously he only said that mel tucker shouldn't be fired. big difference and believe you me i hang on his every word now because i want to be a smart guy like matt)

so yeah TL;DR = comeon mac, i know you ARE kind of a really big deal here, but methinks you'd really do a much better job of "being one of us" if you kept it on the level and addressed people in the threads that they said whatever in.

Sounds good, toughguy!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:19 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
Sounds good, toughguy!!

SEE? you're proving me right once again. you have nothing to say because (i suspect) you don't really have m/any critical thoughts. that's why you come to places like this.... to find people just like you to commiserate with in order to find validation through the group... not because you actually have anything to say.

surprise me with a critical thought and i'll rescind everything i said about you. until then don't go around trying to show me up to earn brownie points with mac by "sticking up for him" because every now and then i don't take shit (messageboardtastically speaking, again) from simpletons.

re: "tough guy" comeon dude, i don't know you IRL from a hole in the ground and i wish you well and etc... god bless. i'm just advising you that taking little pithy drive by shots at vastly superior posters isn't a good idea, that's all =D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:23 am 

Sounds good and peace, I don't even listen to his show. I think I have listened once or twice over the past year. I just said "huh" because I didn't understand your post, but please continue to blast away at me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:29 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Mac commenting on baseball is like me talking about hockey. Useless.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:29 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
I'm a Cubs fan first. They are my favorite team. If they die a 1000 deaths,I die there right with them. I feel pain when they lose and I'm happy when they win. THAT'S how you know you are a fan.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:37 am 

Q.Bovifs wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Mac, you probably don't even like True Detective

Case in point: Mac totally turned on McCaughnaghey just because of the tone of his Oscar Speech, which I found completely fine. Ok, so he forgot to thank the guy who inspired the movie - he did that already. The fact is that MM wrote a speech and was trying to send a nice, uplifting message with his speech and he most likely forgot to mention the dude. Shit, people often times forget very important people to thank when they are up there mixing rehearsed and live shit in front of millions of watchers - LIVE.

Count me in as one who would trade a next White Sox World Series if it meant that would keep the Cubs from winning one.

I loved his speech

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:40 am 

20 years ago I found out from a third party that my wife thought McCaughnaghey was hot. hated him ever since. I hate McCaughnaghey fans.

Last edited by Hatchetman on Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:41 am 

He sweats too much.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:03 pm 
Site Admin

Curious Hair wrote:
You can see the converse with Bernstein: Cubs fans don't -- or at least shouldn't -- want to hear all this fawning and propagandizing from a guy who has waxed poetic about his Ivan Calderon trading cards, his cameo with Harry and Jimmy, and his love for American Original Ozzie Guillen. It's not genuine, or at least doesn't seem genuine.

That's the thing with the whole Ivan Calderon bit. I'm not saying that wasn't young Danny's favorite White Sox player. It probably was. But there's a reason he always brings it up and it isn't to show his lifelong love of this baseball franchise. It's a way of mocking the Sox. Of pointing out that, look here, the best Sox fans had to root for was this fat turd who was bad, just bad, bad at baseball.

And it's even more infuriating because most of the time B&b have no idea what they're talking about. Terry is a big baseball fan. Or at least he was. But he's gotten so lazy and weak during his partnership with bernstein that he has forgotten most of what he may have once known. And even when he does remember, he rarely has the stomach to fight li'l danny.

Just the other day they were talking about Steve Carlton's short tenure with the Sox. Bad, just bad. But then danny bothered to look it up. And it wasn't so bad after all. In fact, Carlton had around the same ERA when he was with the Sox as Kerry Wood did for his career, and a better winning percentage. And I'm sure bernstein thinks Wood was great or "a thing".

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:11 pm 

Calderon wasn't BAD. They got Tim Raines for him!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:11 pm 

Under Reinsdorf,how many guys at the twilight of their careers did he bring in?

Seaver,Carlton,Jose Canseco,Ken Griffey jr.

I know there have been others.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:13 pm 

you could go on all day with that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:15 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
Calderon wasn't BAD. They got Tim Raines for him!

Agreed.

Hatchetman wrote:
you could go on all day with that.

Agreed

Can probably do that for a few teams

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
jimmypasta wrote:
Under Reinsdorf,how many guys at the twilight of their careers did he bring in?

Seaver,Carlton,Jose Canseco,Ken Griffey jr.

I know there have been others.

Manny Ramirez :roll:

John Kruk... didn't he get his 3,000th hit and then leave the park after a pinch runner was sent out to first for him?

Last edited by Godfella on Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:16 pm 
Site Admin

Hatchetman wrote:
Calderon wasn't BAD.

No, he was okay. But when you've got a guy talking about him being his favorite player... in this case, I feel like bernstein is making a statement about the Sox rather than about himself.

My first favorite player was Bobby Knoop. But I'm sincere about it. Even though those teams really were awful, I won't use Knoop as a metaphor to characterize the Sox as a shitty franchise.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:17 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Calderon wasn't BAD.

No, he was okay. But when you've got a guy talking about him being his favorite player... in this case, I feel like bernstein is making a statement about the Sox rather than about himself.

My first favorite player was Bobby Knoop. But I'm sincere about it. Even though those teams really were awful, I won't use Knoop as a metaphor to characterize the Sox as a shitty franchise.

I dont see that

Calderon was a good player and THEE star of the Sox for a while (along with Baines)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next