It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: bernsteinization
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:49 pm 

Bucky Chris wrote:
But that said, The Score seems to like Bernstein's personality and it gets good ratings and has for a long time. So again, it might be a good personality to borrow.
If that is the case, everyone should be borrowing Mac's personality.

The NBA sucks and who cares who Jon Wall is!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:25 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Bucky Chris wrote:
But that said, The Score seems to like Bernstein's personality and it gets good ratings and has for a long time. So again, it might be a good personality to borrow.
If that is the case, everyone should be borrowing Mac's personality.

The NBA sucks and who cares who Jon Wall is!

It is a pretty interesting dynamic that so many at the station seem to want to mimic Bernstein, but not Mac.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:29 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
RFDC wrote:
It is a pretty interesting dynamic that so many at the station seem to want to mimic Bernstein, but not Mac.

It really is, isn't it? I think it's a sad commentary on human nature. People enjoy being assholes when they can get away with it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:09 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
They were saying that their listeners are far more interested in draft position than in Creighton basketball.
Anyone who watches college basketball because they are interested in draft position is doing it wrong.

Not really

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:18 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:

It really is, isn't it? I think it's a sad commentary on human nature. People enjoy being assholes when they can get away with it.

Well, Mac doesnt mock and deride those that dont mimick him. Bernstein kinda does.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:31 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
They were saying that their listeners are far more interested in draft position than in Creighton basketball.
Anyone who watches college basketball because they are interested in draft position is doing it wrong.

Not really
If you watched Andrew Wiggins and what he did this weekend and were most interested in how that would change his draft prospects than you are doing it wrong.

Now, go ahead and say "draft position is only one reason to watch" which is a different discussion all together.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:33 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Not really
If you watched Andrew Wiggins and what he did this weekend and were most interested in how that would change his draft prospects than you are doing it wrong.

Now, go ahead and say "draft position is only one reason to watch" which is a different discussion all together.

I sometimes watch a game because somebody playing is an NBA prospect. Is that wrong?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:35 am 

billypootons wrote:
that guy used to be north's college basketball expert... if it werent for gambling no one would give two craps about the NCAA toruney

I heartily disagree.

People aren't taking off days from work because of a gambling opportunity. They aren't hanging out at bars during work lunch hours

People watch because it is compelling TV. If you went to a participating school it is particularly compelling even when you know you are going to get your shit pushed in by a #1 seed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:36 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Right now, Wiggins is important. Next year he'll just be another guy collecting a fat paycheck, reading his mail, drinking his coffee, and mailing it in on half the nights.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:37 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
I sometimes watch a game because somebody playing is an NBA prospect. Is that wrong?
Is that your only reason? Are you updating a mock draft while watching?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:39 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I dont know why I need to explain this further. I like to watch guys who will be going to the pros. There is nothing wrong with that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:41 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I dont know why I need to explain this further. I like to watch guys who will be going to the pros. There is nothing wrong with that.
Oh, I'm sorry that "Not really" wasn't a full enough explanation for me.

I like watching good players too. I'm not watching to see if he's going to be the 8th or 7th pick in the draft.

I don't even think you are a big NBA guy, which makes your stance even more confusing. I'm not saying don't watch good players. You should. I'm excited to see Jabari Parker and Andrew Wiggins too. I'm not watching to see who the Sacramento Kings will draft. You aren't either.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:43 am 

Bucky Chris wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Bucky Chris wrote:
Might be in a lot of these guys' best professional interests to act like and cozy up to Bernstein.

Bernstein himself said he will never try to help a coworker out professionally. So I'm not sure about that.

Well, I haven't heard that before, but I guess it could be true. But that said, The Score seems to like Bernstein's personality and it gets good ratings and has for a long time. So again, it might be a good personality to borrow.

How has he done when matched up against legitimate competition. The Afternoon Saloon swept the floor with them for the better part of a decade.

I'll continue to say, the Score afternoon slot is an underperforming asset even recognizing that it wins its time slot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:47 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Oh, I'm sorry that "Not really" wasn't a full enough explanation for me.

No, I wrote that I like to watch players that are NBA prospects. That should explain itself.

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I like watching good players too. I'm not watching to see if he's going to be the 8th or 7th pick in the draft.

Good for you
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I don't even think you are a big NBA guy, which makes your stance even more confusing. I'm not saying don't watch good players. You should. I'm excited to see Jabari Parker and Andrew Wiggins too. I'm not watching to see who the Sacramento Kings will draft. You aren't either.

What are you talking about? :lol:

Now you're telling me what I watch? I hear a player is going to be a lottery pick, I want to watch him and see how good he is. Not sure how you can argue this. Im not an NBA draft fan looking at specific picks. Just like to see the next generation of possible stars.

There is no right or wrong way to watch something, Rick.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:51 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Im not an NBA draft fan looking at specific picks.
So, explain this response to me.
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Not really

So, you don't seem interested in draft position.

You like watching the best players in college basketball, which is at least somewhat correlated with nba draft position. You don't watch because you are interested in draft position.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:54 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Im not an NBA draft fan looking at specific picks.
So, explain this response to me.
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Not really

So, you don't seem interested in draft position.

You like watching the best players in college basketball, which is at least somewhat correlated with nba draft position. You don't watch because you are interested in draft position.

Ok, Rick.

I guess I took your watching for draft position as watching for an NBA preview

Still, there is no wrong way. If some draft nerd wants to watch and see if position is affected, thats fine

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:03 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
I guess I took your watching for draft position as watching for an NBA preview
Well, I think you should be appreciating what they are doing in college. You missed out if you couldn't appreciate what Andrew Wiggins was doing at the college level this weekend. You missed out if when Carmelo was doing his run in college that you only cared about his future failure in the NBA. I'm not saying ignore the player as soon as they enter the draft, or don't wonder how good the person will be in the NBA. I root for certain players in the NBA because of what they did in college.

I'm just saying you shouldn't watch primarily because of what they will be in 5 years. They'll be plenty of time for you to watch Semaj Christon in the scope of the NBA.
rogers park bryan wrote:
Still, there is no wrong way. If some draft nerd wants to watch and see if position is affected, thats fine
I disagree. I'm allowed to have opinions on bad ways to watch sports.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:14 am 

I enjoyed Carmello very much in college and I watched more because of his NBA prospects

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:24 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
I enjoyed Carmello very much in college and I watched more because of his NBA prospects
Yeah, but you also enjoyed Luke Harangody, so you seem to be including yourself in the group even though you clearly aren't.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:26 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Yeah, but you also enjoyed Luke Harangody, so you seem to be including yourself in the group even though you clearly aren't.

Im not joining your gang

Yes, I like some players who dont have an NBA future. But sometimes I go out of my way to watch a team because of the NBA prospects.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:43 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
But sometimes I go out of my way to watch a team because of the NBA prospects.
That isn't really what I am talking about though. You want to see them in college.

You aren't turning on Indiana and seeing Yogi Ferrell and watching him have a big game and simply saying "He's too short and not athletic enough to play in the NBA". You would just be enjoying his big game.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:10 pm 

Mimicking Bernstein is the kind of advice any good parent/friend/teacher/agent would tell anyone with microphone aspirations at WSCR. So long as Mitch Rosen is the PD then the only way to get mic time is to give him what he wants, which is essentially more of the same. Not that Bernstein was some ratings titan up against MJH, but given how the two "name" stations are content with the status quo and how being the Chicago market nobody from the New York area is going to suggest dfferent, there is little sense in trying to get on the air with either a unique sound or a fresh approach. And until the third station gets its legs under it this is how its going to be.

So, yeah it does seem like 95% (not 95 of the 100) of the weekend hosts sound like they've read "Bernstein for Dummies" with the foreword from Mitch Rosen.

As for Bernstein's stance on helping people, he bristles at the suggestion that he got his "break" because of Mike North. Yet had North's ego remained in check Bernstein would be at best doing evenings on WSCR.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:07 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
I caught the last few minutes of Mark Rodewald's show when I was in the car this morning, and he said "There's been a lot of smart discussion the last 24 hours about Julius Peppers going to the Packers. Kudos to Bears, and Packers, fans...you should be proud of yourselves." I can't remember if he actually said "you should be proud of yourselves", but that was the tone.

Fuck. You.

First of all, I can't imagine there are too many people who want to be condescended to by a sports-talk show host. Second, they sure as hell don't want to be condescended to by a member of the D-Team.

This is as asinine as Holmes and Bernstein patting themselves on the back for all the "intelligent Bears discussion on the station" at a particular time that was direct result of their educating people to be smarter fans. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:08 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Rodewald is a confirmed doofus, but I felt bad for him when channel 5 fired him from the morning news and replaced him with a bunny.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:27 am 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Tad Queasy wrote:

First of all, I can't imagine there are too many people who want to be condescended to by a sports-talk show host.

The numbers don't lie.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:47 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Telegram Sam wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

First of all, I can't imagine there are too many people who want to be condescended to by a sports-talk show host.

The numbers don't lie.

Well, yes, you're probably right about that. However, I'm hoping that 87.7 The Game will shape up and give people an alternative to that crap. I've caught parts of Jason Gotch and Jason McKie several times and thought they were pretty good. I don't agree with everything they say, but at least they seem likable.