It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steve Stone????
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Hey Buddy, what is your job on the Score? White Sox shil or MLB analyst?

I have heard 3 stone reports and they have all been about the Sox? Which is fine, if that was his job.

Would be nice to have a SPRING TRAINING REPORTER. Someone who spent the month down there reporting from ALL the parks? talking about ALL the Teams. Which is what I thought Stone is supposed to be doing?

He could even ignore the Cubs, so this isnt a Cub/Sox issue at all, but a guy who I think gets paid some big money to talk about all the teams and I guess, he couldnt go to 2 games in a day. Much easier to get to Camelback Ranch at 11 AM, have a coffee, walk around, avoid Hawk, kiss Jerrys ring, watch 3 innings and go home.

Post subject: Re: Steve Stone????
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
He can only answer the questions he is asked.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:46 pm 

Isn't LeVineline at Cubs Camp living under the bleachers?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Frankly, I'd rather Stone talk Cubs baseball if only to pit him against Terry and Dan.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:04 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Isn't LeVineline at Cubs Camp living under the bleachers?

Sounds like it, but dont think there was a bidding war for Levine...have a feeling it was a "Hey, you wanna work here for $50 a call?"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:15 pm 

Stone is a completely superfluous obnoxious sack of meat. Gets paid big money that might be better invested elsewhere. This necessity of needing a team of experts/insiders/beat reporters for each sport is something that was a novelty in the 1990s.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
I like him as a Sox expert. Anything else? No.

Any Sox fans out there that do not like Stoney?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:24 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:

Agree, thats what he should be, just talk Sox as thats what fits into this schedule.

I am sure he hears some stuff from around the league and it would be good to have him in for HIT N RUN for a few shows during the summer.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
@

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

Last edited by Chus on Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
bigfan wrote:

I have heard 3 stone reports and they have all been about the Sox? Which is fine, if that was his job.

Would be nice to have a SPRING TRAINING REPORTER. Someone who spent the month down there reporting from ALL the parks? talking about ALL the Teams. Which is what I thought Stone is supposed to be doing?

He could even ignore the Cubs, so this isnt a Cub/Sox issue at all, but a guy who I think gets paid some big money to talk about all the teams and I guess, he couldnt go to 2 games in a day. Much easier to get to Camelback Ranch at 11 AM, have a coffee, walk around, avoid Hawk, kiss Jerrys ring, watch 3 innings and go home.

Stone was talking Cubs with Mully and Hanley yesterday.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:53 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Yeah with Meat and Rozner he was funny as hell. They asked him about the idea of PA address announcing the count at games and he just went on forever. I was laughing and I think hit hit Hawk in it too. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:05 pm 

Chus wrote:
bigfan wrote:

Stone was talking Cubs with Mully and Hanley yesterday.

OK, but I dont care if he talks Cubs. I got enough cubs from 15 sources. How about the Dodgers? That would be easy to watch? The Dbacks? and everyone else that is there. Just put a little work into it.

Or send Adam Hawge down there for a month and let one of the kids do a report on each team. Probably cost less and become a better segment.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:35 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I won't defend Stone but I will say one thing. If my job was baseball play by play man / analyst after work I am not going to watch a lot more games from out of town.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:45 pm 

pizza_Place: None at all
My mom hated Steve Stone twenty years ago. She couldn't believe what a bloated pompous ass he was then. :lol:

Did you know he won the CY Young? He doesn't mention it much.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
pittmike wrote:
I won't defend Stone but I will say one thing. If my job was baseball play by play man / analyst after work I am not going to watch a lot more games from out of town.

I agree completely, which is why Mitch would be an idiot to hire him as an at-large baseball expert rather than a White Sox shill. Alas, I don't think Mitch is that stupid, and did indeed hire him to be a White Sox shill.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:06 pm 

This was a ZIM move. To exercise legal ROFR on a guy like Stone, I am sure it costs big $$$, of which RODNEY need to approve. This was Rods battle with Larry Wert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:33 pm 
1000 CLUB

Sounds like Rod lost a bad bet having to take the great stone pony back :lol:
Stone is probably the most pompous jerk in the history of sports.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:18 am 
1000 CLUB

What does Stone get paid at the Score? Anybody know? Is it like 40 or 50k?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:35 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Hatchetman wrote:

I don't like him. Never have. I do think it's funny that Cubs fans who always said he was "the best in the business" have turned on him.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:28 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

I don't like him. Never have. I do think it's funny that Cubs fans who always said he was "the best in the business" have turned on him.

I used to see Stone at SpK 7/8 back in the early 90s when I was a kid. Ever had a run in with him in your harness days, JORR?

That also reminds me of this track regular that I never forget and I bet you'd know him. Again early 90s at Sportsman's. Dude was in his 30s I'd say. White with a shaved head and was always in the clubhouse on Friday/Saturday nights. He hung out way at the end right where the clubhouse met the grandstand on the second floor. Very knowledgeable guy about harness racing outside of the Chicago area. He was always yelling at the television and had a retinue of about 3-5 guys. Twenty years later and I can still picture him beating his program on his leg and screaming "C'mon Busse! C'mon!" :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Beardown wrote:
What does Stone get paid at the Score? Anybody know? Is it like 40 or 50k?

His last deal with The Score was $100K+.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:36 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Zizou wrote:
Stone is a completely superfluous obnoxious sack of meat. Gets paid big money that might be better invested elsewhere. This necessity of needing a team of experts/insiders/beat reporters for each sport is something that was a novelty in the 1990s.

yeah zizou knocks it out of the park once again. steve stone his famous "laptop" with all of the info on other teams, which goes back to the days that he did day-games for ESPN in a booth with gary thorne and uhhh.... shit was it orel hershiser? idk it was a 3 man booth with another pitcher, and i thought steve was excellent for those ESPN matinees... and that's where the legend of "stoney's laptop" came into play cuz orel or someone made fun of him always referring to his laptop when looking up stuff about teams other than the cubs/sox, which i assume was just a big ol shot at the guy having to look up everything via google when it came to non-chicago-baseball.

so pretty much stoney only really watches the sox, and i reckon he knows more about the cubs cuz they're a chicago team and he used to work there.... plus he has his agenda in taking shots against them even tho we've literally got a new ownership/regime since he was there (save the immortal crane kenney, cuz it's just not the cubs without crane kenney!) so pretty much i can only count on him to know stuff about the sox, and more generalizations about the cubs.... and then for the rest of baseball you can tell he just whips out "the laptop" and likely googles everything just like we do.

and really, who can blame him? when you got a gig announcing for a team it's your duty to be all things that team and i doubt he's sitting there on the legendary "laptop" with his mlb.tv subscription scouting the shit out of every other team in baseball.... sure he prolly watches sunday night games, and if the sox have a thursday afternoon game and jose fernandez is starting at 6/7/9pm or something maybe he'll get over there (cuz even for a ~6-7 inning pitcher jose fernandez is appointment baseball) otherwise what do you expect him to do? eat/breathe/sleep/live baseball? it's not like he's a radio station's #1 baseball expert or something..... oh wait.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:55 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Some of us have remained fans.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:12 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Zizou wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

I used to see Stone at SpK 7/8 back in the early 90s when I was a kid. Ever had a run in with him in your harness days, JORR?

That also reminds me of this track regular that I never forget and I bet you'd know him. Again early 90s at Sportsman's. Dude was in his 30s I'd say. White with a shaved head and was always in the clubhouse on Friday/Saturday nights. He hung out way at the end right where the clubhouse met the grandstand on the second floor. Very knowledgeable guy about harness racing outside of the Chicago area. He was always yelling at the television and had a retinue of about 3-5 guys. Twenty years later and I can still picture him beating his program on his leg and screaming "C'mon Busse! C'mon!" :lol:

I never saw Stone out there. Saw Grace on occasion and Zimmer quite a bit. I was never a clubhouse guy at Sportsman's. I sat outside in Section H or G just to the left of the finish line.

I'm sure I might know the guy you're talking about to see him. Do you remember this greasy guy named Tony who would stand right below a TV with his arms across his chest and occasionally pull out the program and slap it against his hand? I miss the racetrack characters as much as the good horses.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Not me. I still like Stone. He is a hell of a lot better than Bruce Levine. I wonder if they will keep Bruce on the payroll now that Stoney is back?

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:43 pm 

lifesucks wrote:
Did you know he won the CY Young?

I don't believe this is true.
I'll bet he posed for gay magazine spread too?