It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
New Chicago-Based Sports Network Unveils Its Starting Lineup

Published on Wednesday, 19 March 2014 12:53

http://www.120sports.com/

120 Sports -- a Chicago-based, all-digital sports network with major connections and financial backing -- will be making its debut this spring. This morning, the new network announced who its initial cast of personalities will be.

120 Sports will be a live-streaming sports network, available on computers, smart phones, tablets, and Internet-capable televisions. Those behind 120 Sports include Sports Illustrated magazine and its parent company Time Inc., MLB.com/Major League Baseball, the NHL, the NBA, NASCAR, IMG College (representing many leading collegiate conferences), and Chicago-based digital sports media company Silver Chalice. That last partner, Silver Chalice, was founded and is run by some of the biggest executives in Chicago (and national) sports, including Jerry Reinsdorf, Brooks Boyer, Jason R. Coyle, and John Burris. IMG College and Silver Chalice jointly own and operate another digital sports network, Campus Insiders, which is also a partner with 120 Sports.

With such incredible backing behind the new network, expectations are high for 120 Sports' long-term success.

The network was named 120 Sports for its concept of offering original sports programming segments which will be only two-minutes long (120 seconds). The network will be streaming live 24 hours each day of the year, offering highlights, analysis, and conversation. The plan is to have commentary from knowledgeable analysts, athletes, newsmakers, and fans.

While the network itself was announced in February, just who would be the faces of 120 Sports was kept secret... until today.

120 Sports introduced its roster of hosts, co-hosts, and update reporters this morning.

Hired to be the network's primary host is former ESPN sports anchor Michael Kim. Before exiting ESPN at the end of last year to join 120 Sports, Kim was the lead anchor for ESPN America's international edition of "Sportscenter," as well as being a sports anchor on ESPN's "Mike and Mike in the Morning" and hosting other sports shows for the many ESPN networks. He had been with the company since November 1996.

Chicago's Tim Doyle has been hired to be a co-host and basketball analyst for the new network. Doyle is the former Northwestern Wildcat basketball standout, who went on to a broadcasting career. He has primarily been with the Big Ten Network since October 2007, although he has done some work on WSCR-AM and WGN-AM. Doyle may also be remembered for the being the person who got into an off-air physical confrontation with Comcast SportsNet Chicago basketball analyst Kendall Gill exactly one year ago today.

Adding some comic relief to the network will be Chicago comedic/improv actor Dylan McGorty, who also happens to be a life-long sports fanatic.

The other announced personalities today are (alphabetically):
Laura Britt, update reporter
Tyler Jacobs, co-host
Bryant McFadden, co-host
Ovie Mughelli, co-host
Ro Parrish, co-host
Dave Ross, host
Alexandria Schlereth, update reporter

Jason Coyle, President of 120 Sports, said in today's announcement: "We searched long and hard to hand-select the right team of talent to bring a new style of sports conversation to fans on all of their favorite digital platforms. Each of our talent brings, not only, skills, experience and credibility, but their passion as sports fans to the audience every day. We're excited to introduce new faces to sports fans along with new angles of some veterans of the sports world."

Additional on-staff could be announced before the official launch of the new network.

Additional partners/backers could also be announced prior to launch.

A definite launch date has not been set, but is targeted for sometime in April.

120 Sports will be broadcasting its digital network from a custom-built digital production facility on the campus of Harpo Studios. Chicago's Silver Chalice is overseeing all production and business operations. Silver Chalice's Campus Insiders also now comes from these leased studios in Chicago's West Loop.

Silver Chalice and Sports Illustrated's national sales organizations will oversee the sales and marketing of 120 Sports, while Sports Illustrated/Time Inc. will be provide operational and business development support.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:26 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
If Tim Doyle is your biggest name...........

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Peoria Matt wrote:
If Tim Doyle is your biggest name...........

And the fact that they use the Kendall Gill fight as a "highlight" of his career :lol: :lol: :lol: .

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
FYI, this is Jerry Reinsdorfs venture.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:47 pm 

bigfan wrote:
FYI, this is Jerry Reinsdorfs venture.

Great.....then the state can bail it out when it goes belly up.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:50 pm 

Jerry doesnt let the state in on good deals. Silver Chalice, which owns this venture has been around since 2009. They basically create content for all media outlets, websites, TV etc. They have offices in NYC, Denver, and some other places.

The guy who doesnt have enough to do, Brooks Boyer, helps run it, because everything is fine in the Sox marketing department.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:58 pm 

bigfan wrote:
The guy who doesnt have enough to do, Brooks Boyer, helps run it, because everything is fine in the Sox marketing department.

You're just trolling Frank now. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:08 pm 

bigfan wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:29 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
Well, *that* dilutes the marketplace something fierce...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Sounds like a webio.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:16 pm 

spmack wrote:
bigfan wrote:

You're just trolling Frank now. :lol:

I really am not, just stating factual info, if he feels I am doing so, so be it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
KDdidit wrote:
Sounds like a webio.

This sounds even worse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Quote:
The network was named 120 Sports for its concept of offering original sports programming segments which will be only two-minutes long (120 seconds). The network will be streaming live 24 hours each day of the year, offering highlights, analysis, and conversation. The plan is to have commentary from knowledgeable analysts, athletes, newsmakers, and fans.

The CBS Sports Minute with double the dumb.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:49 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Quote:

The CBS Sports Minute with double the dumb.

Like the CBS Sports Minute.... I think this is an ill conceived reaction to Twitter and people trying to mimic it in other forms.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:53 pm 

This is a company that has been functioning and making money since 2009. This is just a new venture for them.

I will guess that all these "NEW" people are people they already pay to work on other things. They will get a little more money for doing this and if it works, great.

Odds on it working 120,000-1, as it is way too connected to other things like University broadcasts, so they cant really do anything that pushes the edge to get attention.

HOWEVER!

Don't think you wont see Bulls and Sox simulcast on it one day and could anything be better than the Will Perdue Show!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:56 pm 

bigfan wrote:

Don't think you wont see Bulls and Sox simulcast on it one day and could anything be better than the Will Perdue Show!

MLBAM won't let that happen, and I doubt the NBA would either.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
bigfan wrote:
could anything be better than the Will Perdue Show!

The Luc Longley show?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
I'm holding out for Beuchler After Dark.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:02 pm 

Bucky Chris wrote:
bigfan wrote:

MLBAM won't let that happen, and I doubt the NBA would either.

do you forget who you are dealing with? Rules and Laws get rewritten for this man. I mean the NBA doesnt produce the NBA simulcast, they just tap into it, Jerry might get every owner to agree that they can broadcast their own web radio broadcast if they can make more money doing so.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:07 pm 

lipidquadcab wrote:
bigfan wrote:
could anything be better than the Will Perdue Show!

The Luc Longley show?

That would actually be interesting. Will is about as much fun as a styrofoam cup, but he still got a gig on CSN!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:52 pm 

Q.Bovifs wrote:
I think Meatpants just found his new home.

:lol: That was pretty funny, Panther.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
KDdidit wrote:
Sounds like a webio.

Not even close.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:17 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I see one of the update reporters is Stink Schlereth's daughter. Not too shabby.

p.s. there are some racier photos of her online if you are so inclined

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:22 am