It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bears-only station
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:53 pm 

One would think that the score - in a city with two baseball teams, a hockey team, a basketball team, multiple NCAA teams, the NCAA tournament going on, and two months removed from the NFL season - would be able to make time to talk about something other than the Bears special teams, backup defensive linemen, etc. One would be mistaken.

To be fair, they may discuss something else during the weekdays. Nights and weekends, however, are all Bears all the time.
And the hosts are not that interesting to overcome the Bears boredom.

I don't know if it's the guys that work nights and weekends are incapable of talking about anything else but Bears. It's possible they've done some research that shows Sox, Hawks, Cubs, Bulls, DePaul, Illini, Northwestern, etc. fans don't want to talk about their teams and only want to hear mindless Bears drabble.

I've definitely had my fill. I don't care about the Bears. I definitely don't care about their special teams. I would welcome nearly any other conversation about sports. The score is apparently not the place for that. Time for a long break from the score. Too bad the other station is not much better.

Post subject: Re: Bears-only station
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
juschill wrote:
One would think that the score - in a city with two baseball teams, a hockey team, a basketball team, multiple NCAA teams, the NCAA tournament going on, and two months removed from the NFL season - would be able to make time to talk about something other than the Bears special teams, backup defensive linemen, etc. One would be mistaken.

To be fair, they may discuss something else during the weekdays. Nights and weekends, however, are all Bears all the time.
And the hosts are not that interesting to overcome the Bears boredom.

I don't know if it's the guys that work nights and weekends are incapable of talking about anything else but Bears. It's possible they've done some research that shows Sox, Hawks, Cubs, Bulls, DePaul, Illini, Northwestern, etc. fans don't want to talk about their teams and only want to hear mindless Bears drabble.

I've definitely had my fill. I don't care about the Bears. I definitely don't care about their special teams. I would welcome nearly any other conversation about sports. The score is apparently not the place for that. Time for a long break from the score. Too bad the other station is not much better.

Agree , definitely overdone.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
CBS Radio has a new contract with the Bears that mandates extensive Bears discussion to the extent that even the rest of the CBS stations (K-Hits, US99, B96, XRT) are required to have weekly Bears content during the season, plus year-round Anal Access on 670. As for the Score beating the Bears into the ground, I think that's just an editorial decision based on research showing that listeners can't get enough Bears. Their research didn't include me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Curious Hair wrote:
CBS Radio has a new contract with the Bears that mandates extensive Bears discussion to the extent that even the rest of the CBS stations (K-Hits, US99, B96, XRT) are required to have weekly Bears content during the season, plus year-round Anal Access on 670. As for the Score beating the Bears into the ground, I think that's just an editorial decision based on research showing that listeners can't get enough Bears. Their research didn't include me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Agreed on all fronts....

When Meat and Mac and Crew are having a serious segment long discussion about the loss of Corey Wootton and if it will come back to haunt the Bears, well, that's a bit much.

How much can one station talk about the topic of "Is Jay Cutler good enough to get he Bears to a Super Bowl?"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Especially when the answer is a definitive no.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:06 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:27 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:00 am 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Trust me, you don't need to hear more hockey talk on the score.

That put aside, I'm surprised that the Score hasn't used this wonderful thing called the Internet for a little out-of-the-box thinking. First, its not that expensive to produce a "decent" internet-based show. Second, they have the space and technology to simultaneously broadcast multiple shows. As we have seen from Boers, the host of the show doesn't even have to be in the studio. With that in place, you provide streams that are focused on either specific sports or specific topics. You can get real-time statistics from the Internet broadcast and could "promote a stream" to the radio. If McNeil wants to go off about hockey for an hour, that hour of broadcast could be promoted to a Blackhawks Internet stream while the main radio broadcast switches over to something that people actually care about.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:19 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
Perfect show for the Score online:

"Fantasy Football Online". Every Sunday, 11-12 AM.

For whatever reason, Mitch refuses to acknowledge that this would be a popular show.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Curious Hair wrote:

That statement is correct.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:08 pm 

Thought the same for years. It's complete overkill with the multiple experts and insiders appearing every day on all the shows, all providing non-unique information that any mouse-clicking dullard can find on the internet.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:35 am 

My brother manages a building maintenance crew of 7 in a large residential complex. In their office they have a TV but they don't watch unless there's a game on. They play the radio during the weekdays and they put it on sports talk because there's no argument as to the musical choices. They are divided on Cubs/Sox, some watch the Bulls and some watch the Blackhawks, but they all watch the Bears. Whenever they have extensive work in a unit they'll carry a portable radio to hear sports talk. As for the Internet, he explains that he doesn't have time at work and doesn't want to waste time off from work, "I tune in, their job is to entertain and inform me while I do my job."

By vote they've chosen not to listen to 670.