It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Beggers
I give it til' the end of summer.

Maybe longer if they realize that Caplan can't host.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:20 pm 

Kaplan can host. He's proven that with radio and television shows. He's just not compelling or entertaining. He's a guy Carmen DeFalco would aspire to be.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Zizou wrote:
Kaplan can host. He's proven that with radio and television shows.

Yeah but he said Caplan can't host.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:28 pm 
1000 CLUB

No. It will last longer than the summer. At least 2 years.

The business model is obvious. Nobody has contracts and they're waiting until they have the right to buy their own frequency. A better one. Maybe even on the AM band. They were rushed into this. Trib is willing to take a loss initially. And it won't be a big loss. They hired on the cheap. They might get bigger names once they get the right set up. Maybe even billboards. Mike North: :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:28 am 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Beardown wrote:

The business model is obvious. Nobody has contracts and they're waiting until they have the right to buy their own frequency. A better one. Maybe even on the AM band. They were rushed into this. Trib is willing to take a loss initially. And it won't be a big loss. They hired on the cheap. They might get bigger names once they get the right set up. Maybe even billboards. Mike North: :shock:

Mostly right, but no on the AM band -- it will be FM. Everything else is right except the billboards.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:05 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
newper wrote:
Beardown wrote:

Mostly right, but no on the AM band -- it will be FM. Everything else is right except the billboards.

Definitely FM, most likely 100+. The Game will be on a new frequency in 6-12 Months.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:08 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Forget Light AC. You know what's a radio format you don't hear anymore? Easy listening. Sometimes I'm just so in the mood for cloying string arrangements of "The Third Man Theme." Mandatory Mancini, weeknights at 9.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:38 am 
1000 CLUB

Scorehead wrote:
newper wrote:
Beardown wrote:

Definitely FM, most likely 100+. The Game will be on a new frequency in 6-12 Months.

If/when they switch to a new frequency, they need to have new hosts. I have no interest in listing to Harry and Spike ever. Same with the morning show. I can probably tolerate Kaplan and Haugh, but it's pretty boring radio.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:39 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Curious Hair wrote:
Forget Light AC. You know what's a radio format you don't hear anymore? Easy listening. Sometimes I'm just so in the mood for cloying string arrangements of "The Third Man Theme." Mandatory Mancini, weeknights at 9.

It was great. I remember Henry Mancini and the Lords of the New Church. This was when MTV was on everybody's radar and Martha Quinn was the sweetheart of the world. And so Henry Mancini and Lords of the New Church were playing, and there's Martha Quinn, this pixie-ish sort of girl. And you remember Henri Mancini? He was a fucking maniac. So he's on stage, and he is, as Henri is wont to do, is vomiting, during his set. I remember that because I had to clean it. After the show, there was a little green room that was up the stairs. And you know all the bands would sign it, from the Meat Puppets to Joe Jackson. And so I went up there with some beers to load the band up. And there, post-stage-vomit, is Martha Quinn on Henry Mancini's lap, basically Zamboni-ing the inside of his mouth.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:46 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
The Night Game, with Mark Carman and Connor McKnight, has been a listenable alternative to Laurence.

I like Quigley and Griffith well enough to tune in, and while I don't necessarily dislike Finfer he just talks WAAY too much.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:51 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
When will we actually see some tangible ratings released?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:57 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
Tad Queasy wrote:
The Night Game, with Mark Carman and Connor McKnight, has been a listenable alternative to Laurence.

Tad, what's your opinion on Carman's voice? I can't listen to the guy talk.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:06 am 

Peoria Matt wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

His voice doesn't really bother me. It kind of sounds like he's talking from the back of his throat...like he's trying to make it sound deeper or something. I dunno...it's got a "quality" a can't really put my finger on.

Speaking of voices, I was listening to Jordan Bernfield on Sunday morning and his producer/sidekick, I think his name is Beedo (?), might have the nasaliest voice I've ever heard. He seemed like a likable enough guy, but he's got a terrible voice for radio.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:08 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Curious Hair wrote:

so YOU'RE the zither fan...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:39 am 
1000 CLUB

Though I will admit I haven't listened to any of the day part shows since that first week they went on the air. None of those guys interest me.

I have caught the night show while driving. I agree. It's a better option than Larry or Hood. Though Carm and Connor aren't great, they're not Larry and Hood, so they win.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Beardown wrote:
Though I will admit I haven't listened to any of the day part shows since that first week they went on the air. None of those guys interest me.

I have caught the night show while driving. I agree. It's a better option than Larry or Hood. Though Carm and Connor aren't great, they're not Larry and Hood, so they win.

Racist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:29 pm 
1000 CLUB

KDdidit wrote:
Beardown wrote:

Racist

I'm a badist.

The night show is the only match up that THE GAME wins. Basically cuz of the bad competition. THE SCORE and/or ESPN beats them in all other slots.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:38 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

He does have a slightly whiny/nasally voice.

He mispronounces a lot of words. When they were talking about the issue at Curie H.S. a few weeks ago, despite the fact that his co-host and every caller pronounced it correctly he pronounced it "Curr-ee" for several hours.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Beggers
Don Tiny wrote:
Zizou wrote:
Kaplan can host. He's proven that with radio and television shows.

Yeah but he said Caplan can't host.
No matter the spelling, the guy sucks. Why else do you think GN would make a whole new station just to get him off their main air? :lol:
Zizou wrote:
Kaplan can host. He's proven that with radio and television shows. He's just not compelling or entertaining.
Which is sort of what I'm alluding to. I think him hosting the Cubs post game show proved that he's probably not the best for hosting a sports talk show. Either he'd get pissed off because you were too positive about the team or he'd yell at you for being negative.

Probably the worst trait of a post game show host, but he wasn't even entertaining while doing it which makes it unforgivable.
Beardown wrote:

To me, Hood was actually much better on the Score. Not sure what happened or if it's something on the water on 1000, but he sucks now. Maybe him and Larry need to trade stations for awhile. It couldn't hurt worst then it does now.

T-Bone wrote:
When will we actually see some tangible ratings released?
Who knows, but based off what I'm hearing, it can't be pretty.

I will say despite how negative I'm being about it, it would be too bad if it when away as quickly as I think it might.

I'd love to see the Hawks games get moved there or if they do move to a better frequency, maybe even the Cubs games too. As far as the on air content though, it leaves more than a little bit to be desired.