It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:05 am 

Mini Ditka wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Give them more money per month, and let them sign autographs and put that money in a trust fund for them after college. Done.

If they really thought the education was important they would let every player who got a scholarship come finish their degree for free at any time in the future.
That is exactly what the Big Ten wants.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
$2,500 a month year round for football players would be significantly better than pretty much all minor league baseball players. There are a few that get big bonuses when drafted but that is a very tiny fraction of players.

It's kind of amazing, the difference between minor and major-league salaries, isn't it? You see it with two-way contracts in hockey. A guy can go from $60,000 a year to $800,000 depending on whether he's in the AHL or NHL.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:17 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
It's kind of amazing, the difference between minor and major-league salaries, isn't it? You see it with two-way contracts in hockey. A guy can go from $60,000 a year to $800,000 depending on whether he's in the AHL or NHL.
It is.

I know I come off kind of heartless in this thread because I am stopping Johnny Football from making millions in his college career and he has to wait until he's 21 to make millions. However, I do honestly think an unequal pay scale like many want would not only destroy college football but also be very damaging to all but a select few athletes who pretty much get paid millions anyways the day they are drafted.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:43 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Wrong. Most big time college football players are discouraged from taking real college courses. They're there to play football. Nothing more. Don't talk stupid.
Are they forced to go to a big time football school? I can guarantee you any player on Alabama who wanted to major in Engineering would have been welcomed with open arms to Purdue or Illinois.

I'm not sure about that. I went to school a long time ago and it wasn't the business it has become. But I know two guys who played at SIU in the last ten years or so, one of them just a fucking punter, and they were guided into classes that wouldn't disrupt training. I'm not saying a guy couldn't insist on pre-med or whatever they offer down there, but he was damn sure going to be viewed as less than committed by the coaching staff. And that's a Division II school or whatever the fuck they call them now.

I think SIU has pre vet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:56 am 

Northwestern's record last season makes a lot more sense. Who knew it was a wages protest?
http://deadspin.com/spanish-soccer-team-refuses-to-play-in-wages-protest-1513162077

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:19 pm 

gives new meaning to the term "wildcat strike"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
good dolphin wrote:
gives new meaning to the term "wildcat strike"

dude, mully used this three days ago. shoot yourself now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:07 pm 

They won the first battle. This will eventually go to the Supreme Court, which is probably fine with the NCAA and colleges.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
I know that the world & many people are screwed up, but this takes the cake. How in the hell can you unionize students who aren't employees?

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:25 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Scorehead wrote:
I know that the world & many people are screwed up, but this takes the cake. How in the hell can you unionize students who aren't employees?

If they're not employees, then practices are optional, right?

But I agree they are going about this the wrong way. If they were really serious they would organize themselves and ask for $200,000 each the week of their Bowl Games or, in the case of basketball, before this weekend might be nice.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:27 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I wasn't an employee at Purdue, but there were plenty of required activities as part of my agreement for acceptance and staying there.
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
But I agree they are going about this the wrong way. If they were really serious they would organize themselves and ask for $200,000 each the week of their Bowl Games or, in the case of basketball, before this weekend might be nice.
They'd be laughed out of the room.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:29 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Scorehead wrote:

Just imagine the good & positive influence that the Teamsters could bring to a university campus & its football program.

Maybe the teams will have to select their starters based on seniority?

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:30 pm 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
They'd be laughed out of the room.

Are you out of your fucking mind? They have all the power. They just haven't figured that out yet. In fact, they should demand that Les Moonves kneel at half court and suck each guy off.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:33 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Are you out of your fucking mind? They have all the power. They just haven't figured that out yet. In fact, they should demand that Les Moonves kneel at half court and suck each guy off.
What is the worst thing that happens? The NCAA cancels the game or has the team forfeit if it's only one team, and those players are ruled ineligible forever and likely lose the scholarship and have to drop out or pay their own way.

Most players don't have big dollars coming from the NBA or NFL to fall back on.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:48 pm 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
What is the worst thing that happens? The NCAA cancels the game or has the team forfeit if it's only one team, and those players are ruled ineligible forever and likely lose the scholarship and have to drop out or pay their own way.

Most players don't have big dollars coming from the NBA or NFL to fall back on.

No. The worst thing that happens is that Proctor & Gamble, Mondelez, Ford, and MillerCoors all demand their money back, which is the only reason the games are really played.

Look, I know you love college sports. But loving it to the point where it clouds your sense of fairness probably isn't a great thing. There is plenty of money to pay the twelfth man on Mercer $200,000 a year. You do know that at one time the baseball owners claimed the sport would go under if Marvin Miller won. Now Adrian Nieto makes $700,000 to catch twenty games and those owners are fatter than ever.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:02 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
No. The worst thing that happens is that Proctor & Gamble, Mondelez, Ford, and MillerCoors all demand their money back, which is the only reason the games are really played.
Yeah, they probably would. So what? They make less money then. That's ok. You really think the NCAA is just going to give up what they have because they may miss the revenue of one game?
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Look, I know you love college sports. But loving it to the point where it clouds your sense of fairness probably isn't a great thing. There is plenty of money to pay the twelfth man on Mercer $200,000 a year. You do know that at one time the baseball owners claimed the sport would go under if Marvin Miller won. Now Adrian Nieto makes $700,000 to catch twenty games and those owners are fatter than ever.
Yeah, there is money to pay the twelfth man on Mercer $200,000 a year. You just have to cut out $2.6 million somewhere else to pay for that team to get that money. So, the NCAA drops swimming as a sport, or cuts payouts to the Division 3 schools. Fine with me.

Again, if we want to cut out all women's sports(besides basketball, which kind of pays for itself) and all men's sports besides football and basketball then let's do it.

The only thing I'll say is that the moment that my donations to the athletic department of my university start going towards player salaries, I'll be changing my allocation to a different department. It would be like me donating to help pay Brandon Marshall's salary. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:06 pm 
Site Admin

Are you really saying that you think Maverick Morgan should pay for some swimmer nobody cares about? Let the swimmer's parents pay his expenses.

And you'd better believe if the players boycotted this Tournament, the NCAA would be in an utter panic. In fact, with the news today, I'm sure they're in a panic already. No rich guy ever wants to share a penny until some poor guys force him to.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:09 pm 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The only thing I'll say is that the moment that my donations to the athletic department of my university start going towards player salaries, I'll be changing my allocation to a different department. It would be like me donating to help pay Brandon Marshall's salary. :lol:

You're not the Purdue football fan I thought you were.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:10 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Are you really saying that you think Maverick Morgan should pay for some swimmer nobody cares about? Let the swimmer's parents pay his expenses.
Yes. He knows what he signed up for. If he didn't exist, someone else would be doing it and we wouldn't know the difference.
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
And you'd better believe if the players boycotted this Tournament, the NCAA would be in an utter panic. In fact, with the news today, I'm sure they're in a panic already. No rich guy ever wants to share a penny until some poor guys force him to.
Of course they wouldn't like it, but they aren't giving everyone $200k because of it. In fact, I doubt they would even be allowed to do so by the membership given the wide ranges of small schools that wouldn't benefit in the slightest by that. What you describe here would likely just end the NCAA completely, which would be fine by me too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:13 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

You're not the Purdue football fan I thought you were.
If I wanted professional football, I'd watch professional football.

That could be the great irony here. The players could actually be killing the golden goose. Even you acknowledge that a vast majority of college players don't even provide the value of the scholarship and other expenses they get. Our football teams may only have 10 total players combined that do. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:25 pm 

Let me just make it clear though because I don't think it comes off like it.

I think the players deserve:
1) Two years of scholarship after eligibility is up or after NFL of NBA career is over.
2) Medical care during that period if you didn't play a game in the NFL or NBA.
3) Allow schools to offer $2,000 to $3,000 extra a month for living expenses.

If that isn't good enough for a player, then go find a different job that compensates better.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Ed O'Bannon likes this.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
KDdidit wrote:
Ed O'Bannon likes this.

EA Sports wrote:
PF #31 likes this

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I wish they would make another college basketball game. The 82 game 2k season is just too grueling to play.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:35 pm 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Let me just make it clear though because I don't think it comes off like it.

I think the players deserve:
1) Two years of scholarship after eligibility is up or after NFL of NBA career is over.
2) Medical care during that period if you didn't play a game in the NFL or NBA.
3) Allow schools to offer $2,000 to $3,000 extra a month for living expenses.

If that isn't good enough for a player, then go find a different job that compensates better.

What the fuck is that based on? What if I sat here and discounted your value to your company and suggested capping what you could earn? It's silly.

And stop saying that some players have "no value". Clowney and Manziel aren't one man teams. They hav e to play with someone. The last man on a college roster has the same relative value as Craig Steltz. There's plenty of money. I'm not sure why you're in favor of rich guys hoarding it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:43 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
What the fuck is that based on? What if I sat here and discounted your value to your company and suggested capping what you could earn? It's silly.
Go ahead. I'll find another job that will pay me more. I would compare them to someone else who gets a set pay scale(teachers, Wal-Mart workers). Now, maybe we decentralize it and let the SEC set their own pay scale. That's cool. Pay them millions of dollars. I don't want the Big Ten doing it.
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
And stop saying that some players have "no value". Clowney and Manziel aren't one man teams. They hav e to play with someone. The last man on a college roster has the same relative value as Craig Steltz. There's plenty of money. I'm not sure why you're in favor of rich guys hoarding it.
Most players don't provide the value of what they get. I don't think I need to cite MLB pay scales to show this once again. There just isn't a massive demand for people with that level of skill.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:57 pm 

So, here is a question. Do you have a problem with AA baseball pay scales?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:18 pm 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
So, here is a question. Do you have a problem with AA baseball pay scales?

Double AA owners have a billion dollar TV contract?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
The schools may actually like this, as if they're not "primarily students," the school might be able to blow off Title IX.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:51 pm 

You do realize that this decision only effects scholarship players, right? It is conceivable that you could actually end up with the 1% stud scholarship players getting benis & $, while the rest of the 99% scrubs get nothing. This is a very slippery slope.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next