It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Published on Wednesday, 26 March 2014 15:48

Today, BIA/Kelsey -- the independent market researcher and advisory firm for media and technology companies, specializing in the local advertising business for those companies -- released information on the top national billing stations.

1. WBBM-AM/WCFS-FM (News/Sports) $42,000,000 (2012: $45,700,000) -- CBS Radio
2. WTMX-FM (Adult CHR/Hot AC) $37,500,000 (2012: $34,100,000) -- Hubbard Broadcasting
3. WGN-AM (News/Talk/Sports) $29,200,000 (2012: $30,200,000) -- Tribune Broadcasting
4. WBBM-FM (CHR) $25,300,000 (2012: $25,800,000) -- CBS Radio
5. WSCR-AM (Sports/Sports Talk) $24,800,000 (2012: $22,900,000) -- CBS Radio

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
$25 M, lol

And the kid went down to cover the NFL combine on his own dime.

On air talent and producers cost? $2 M
Support staff/sales $2 M
Ads/Marketing/BS $1 M

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:38 pm 

Bye the way, that's 3 bidders for Cubs Baseball right there and the 4th would be ESPN.

Adam Delevitt writes up a report shows revenues and ratings increasing 25% in the event they got the Cubs and it gets to the right guys desk.

Could go back to the masses for a second bid.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:56 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
bigfan wrote:
$25 M, lol And the kid went down to cover the NFL combine on his own dime.

No shit.

And how about the lack of t-shirts at remotes that Mac has been pounding away on Mitch about for years. Key chains and plastic cups? Maybe some free tickets to the Roasts for listeners? WTF is this....Peoria?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:40 am 

Peoria Matt wrote:
bigfan wrote:

No shit.

And how about the lack of t-shirts at remotes that Mac has been pounding away on Mitch about for years. Key chains and plastic cups? Maybe some free tickets to the Roasts for listeners? WTF is this....Peoria?

and they guard those like the crown jewels

the point of having that stuff is to give it away

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:01 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:
bigfan wrote:

No shit.

and they guard those like the crown jewels

the point of having that stuff is to give it away

I know part of it is ESPN being the name but I see way more ESPN 1000 gear than Score stuff in this city

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:07 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I listen to the Score pretty much every day and I don't have a t-shirt.

But, I have a hat, keychain, t-shirt, and mousepad for Webio. Been holding those like an old Vince Evans Bears jersey to wear on special occasions like a Score Roast or an international flight.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:16 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
The Mix at 37.5 million? Wtf. Well if Bagels can win a matchup against Curious Hair I guess anything can happen. Lot of bad radio listening going on too.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:34 am 

That eric and Kathy thing is a monster. Sports talk radio is the anti Eric and Kathy. Saw a stat once that over 60% of radio listeners are female. Guessing the minivan mom makes up a large portion of that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:36 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Every market has an adult contemporary station with Sassy Ditzy MILF & Nutless Dude In The Morning. The only thing unique about ours is that they've been doing it for like twenty years.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:38 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Every market has an adult contemporary station with Sassy Ditzy MILF & Nutless Dude In The Morning. The only thing unique about ours is that they've been doing it for like twenty years.

Thats all when and good. When do Eric and Kathy get the sassy ,ditzy, milf ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:43 am 

Mom and both sisters listen to the pseudo dude and housemom in the morning. They would always ask me 'Did you hear what Eric said today?"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:45 am 

bigfan wrote:
Mom and both sisters listen to the pseudo dude and housemom in the morning. They would always ask me 'Did you hear what Eric said today?"

DIdnt someone here post about how married,loving doting Dad and husband Eric is a major skirt chaser?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:48 am 
1000 CLUB

bigfan wrote:
$25 M, lol

And the kid went down to cover the NFL combine on his own dime.

On air talent and producers cost? $2 M
Support staff/sales $2 M
Ads/Marketing/BS $1 M

I think you're a little low on the on air talent/producers. Maybe 3 or 4 million for that payroll.

Still, your point is valid. That Zimmermon clears at least 17 million for CBS with the Score. Plus he runs WBBM. That place probably clears 25 million.

I'll bet, with those profit margins, Zimmerman makes 4 or 5 million a year.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:57 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
bigfan wrote:

DIdnt someone here post about how married,loving doting Dad and husband Eric is a major skirt chaser?

Probably. I know Kathy cheated on her husband and left him for the new guy. I don't know how I know this, but I don't know how bigfan knows what Lena Dunham wore on Girls, either. Embrace the mystery.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:24 pm 
1000 CLUB

One more expense. I think the Score pays 2 million a year for the rights to carry the Sox. So that puts the Score's profit at 15 million. Maybe it's less than 2 million. I saw it somewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:30 pm 

Funny that the Score still pays in an era where more and more teams have to buy the airtime. I think even the Phillies are brokered now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:35 pm 
1000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:
Funny that the Score still pays in an era where more and more teams have to buy the airtime. I think even the Phillies are brokered now.

Yeah, but think about it, either way you do it it's the same bottom line. If the Sox buy the air time then they sell their own ads to make their money. This way they sell it off and the Score sells the ads. Same thing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:37 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
bigfan wrote:

Probably. I know Kathy cheated on her husband and left him for the new guy. I don't know how I know this, but I don't know how bigfan knows what Lena Dunham wore on Girls, either. Embrace the mystery.

I've listened here and there to them and she should be sucking Eric's cock everyday. She's been making mid 6 figures for a long time while providing zero content. The ratings they get are coming from Eric driving the show, lame as it may be. The one who should be getting featured is the traffic chick. She's kind of hot and fits the ditzy milf profile much better than the talentless Kathy .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
badrogue17 wrote:
bigfan wrote:

Pretty sure Darkside will give us a funny one liner or two about Eric...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
I listen to the Score pretty much every day and I don't have a t-shirt.

But, I have a hat, keychain, t-shirt, and mousepad for Webio. Been holding those like an old Vince Evans Bears jersey to wear on special occasions like a Score Roast or an international flight.
I got a shirt from Murph for participating in the "Limerick Lounge". I did have to send them a reminder before they finally parted with the shirt though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:09 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Beardown wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Yeah, but think about it, either way you do it it's the same bottom line. If the Sox buy the air time then they sell their own ads to make their money. This way they sell it off and the Score sells the ads. Same thing.

This is the first time I've heard that (maybe this belongs in the thread of common knowledge you only recently discovered). I always assumed that when teams like the Blackhawks (during the dark days of Dollar Bill Wirtz) or DePaul (pretty much always) paid for airtime, it was out of desperation and that the radio station still collected the revenue from commercials. From what you're saying, it's the opposite...teams may feel it's more profitable to buy a block of time on WSCR and then sell the ads themselves. Interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:21 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Curious Hair wrote:
Every market has an adult contemporary station with Sassy Ditzy MILF & Nutless Dude In The Morning.

hahahahahah holy shit dude, suffice to say that nails it on the head. i never "got" the whole eric and kathy thing, but as long as i can remember (and let's say i started becoming acutely aware of the "adult" media landscape circa 93-94) these two schmoes have been around doing their thing. i can remember driving home from UIC in fall of '98 seeing a giant ERIC AND KATHY billboard/side-of-the-building-mural/ad right along 290 by about..... shit, pulaski or thereabouts?

i always wondered what the indigenous "contemporary urban" demographic thought about waking up and walking down the street to see these two giant milquetoast white people beaming smiles that literally towered over them. if you want a poignant symbol/metaphor about knowing your place in society, compare the ~30+ foot tall midsecton (and ~50ft tall if it was a full body shot; i dont remember that much) of eric/kathy (LITERALLY HOVERING ABOVE THEM) in relation to the actual ~6 foot tall corporeal presence of the average "contemporary urban" city dweller. know your place / check your privilege, peasant!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:32 am 

Being reminded daily of your insignificance by way of a giant Eric Ferguson really has to suck, but let's be fair: GCI just might lead the market in billboard saturation. (Defnitly ain't da Score!) I've even spotted a WGCI: WE RUN THE CHI billboard on Rand Road heading north of Volo. If you're not only in Volo but northbound, too, chances are you're not exactly in the market for some Chi-running. Who's their media buyer?

WGCI, also infamous for taking a big tumble in the Arbitrons when we first switched to PPMs. Just like white people entrusted with diaries apparently said "I dunno, I guess I listen to WGN," apparently black people said "I dunno, I guess I listen to WGCI," and so they initially took a hit in the ratings. They've bounced right back up to somewhere between 4 and 8, though, so maybe the PPM sample size has been adjusted, or made to be adjusted.