It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shep and Herb
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Terrible. Just terrible.

I caught a few minutes this afternoon. They were attempting to discuss today's NCAA games. Neither of them can understand why Kentucky is favored. What is not to get? Lines are set to get equal action on both sides. If one side gets heavier action, the number moves. Certainly somebody who "invests" like Shep does, should understand this. Herb chimes in by saying that he thinks Michigan should be favored. He attempts to make a case for Michigan by talking about how good Michigan State's players are, and how they will be a handful for Kentucky.

Dopes.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

Post subject: Re: Shep and Herb
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:39 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Chus wrote:
Terrible. Just terrible.

I caught a few minutes this afternoon. They were attempting to discuss today's NCAA games. Neither of them can understand why Kentucky is favored. What is not to get? Lines are set to get equal action on both sides. If one side gets heavier action, the number moves. Certainly somebody who "invests" like Shep does, should understand this. Herb chimes in by saying that he thinks Michigan should be favored. He attempts to make a case for Michigan by talking about how good Michigan State's players are, and how they will be a handful for Kentucky.

Dopes.

Beyond that, the bettors, as a collective, aren't stupid. That money is a whole lot smarter than a small group of dummies that get together to select and seed these teams.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:48 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Chus wrote:
Terrible. Just terrible.

Dopes.

Beyond that, the bettors, as a collective, aren't stupid. That money is a whole lot smarter than a small group of dummies that get together to select and seed these teams.

Kentucky opened as a 1.5 point favorite, and closed as a 2.5 point favorite. Obviously, the money was on Kentucky. How does Shep not understand this?

Many of the update guys on the Score, and elsewhere, will refer to a game as an upset just because a lower seed/lower ranked team won the game. Last year, either Ostrowski or Conor McDoink referred to VCU beating Butler as an upset, despite that fact that VCU was an 8.5 point favorite. In my world, when the favorite wins, it's not an upset. Point spreads are determined by crunching numbers. Poll rankings and tournament seedings are completely subjective, as evidenced by many errors this tournament.

Earlier this season, Michigan was tied for 1st in the Big 10, and ranked 15th in the AP poll. It was revealed that John Feinstein not only omitted Michigan from his ballot, but he ranked Stephen F. Austin 25th. I suppose the CBS sports radio minutes have prevented him from watching basketball.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:04 pm 

Herb is a well-documented dumbass. It's Larry's fault. He nurtured this by allowing Herb a platform with "Ask Herb" segment. I can't speak to Shep. Never hear him much. But both of these inarticulate softballs suffer from the producer/engineer mentality of thinking there is an A-->B-->C path to getting your own sports radio show. You do your time behind the scenes and then get your own gig. They can't accept the fact they are uninteresting dorks with the inability to entertain people. It's prevalent throughout sports radio in this town. Mac did it, so why not us?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:21 pm 

Kentucky covered the number. I guess the oddsmakers know more than Herb and Shep.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Even a third grader could understand the concept that your seed # doesn't have a 100% correlation with how strong you are. If I had my top two players miss the first fifteen games of the season and we went 8-7 over that stretch, and finished up going 18-3 the rest of the way, I'm a 26-10 team and will be seeded probably out of the top spots... but look at who is playing now and you can quickly figure out we might play better than our seed would indicate.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:35 pm 

They thought that Michigan should be the 2 point favorite. Everybody and their brother would have been on Kentucky, and the books would have gotten buried.

Leave the gambling talk to those who know what they are talking about.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Awful.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen Home Run Inn Pizza
I caught a little bit of this train wreck as well. Neither guy has the chops to be a host. Herb can't put a sentence together and Shep is just a mess.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:17 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
I tried to listen. I don't think I lasted more that 3 minutes. Just bad.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
I like Shep. Herb contributes nothing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Herb can get on his cheap ass soapbox about tipping again.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:12 am 

pizza_Place: LouMal
Shepkowski claims to be betting baseball and his only out is Bovada which deals a 20 cent line.
That pretty much sums up his sports betting acumen.