It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jesse Rodgers
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:07 am 

We all know this guy is a first class simpleton. I think he even understands it is true. Whose idea was it to give him air time by making him an expert on anything?

I got to sample a little of his work yesterday on the drive home. He messed up two easy clichés in about five minutes. He generally showed no objectivity and framed everything as being irrelevant beyond the production of guys who will be here when they are good.

Hey Jesse, YOU will most likely not be there when they are good. Do your job and report the day to day happenings of the team.

Post subject: Re: Jesse Rodgers
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:09 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Quit picking on a radio legend.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:06 pm 
1000 CLUB

Jesse's got it made. He can afford to go through life as a dumb ass.

I think you guys said his wife a lawyer. Makes good money.

Which affords Jesse the ability to be dumb and go to ball games. It's basically a night gig. So he has the house to himself all day and never has to see the wife or kids.

I think one of the reasons they fired Bruce was because Jesse is much cheaper. You gotta figure Bruce was getting raises through the years. He was at ESPN 1000 forever. That adds up. ESPN looked at his salary and said, "Fuck this, a monkey could do it". But the job was beneath monkeys so they gave it to Jesse.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
I'm surprised the Score never promoted Jesse to, like, executive producer of the station. They could have had him book guests for all the shows at a time when Drinky and Goff either couldn't or didn't feel like trying. You know, all the behind-the-scenes stuff. Everyone says he was good at that, but a horse abortion on the radio.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:25 pm 

He's another great example in local radio of a guy being able to afford to just hang around long enough that someone gives him a chance on the air. The guy probably tops out at a salary right around that of the Cubs locker room attendant but he's proud of himself because he is on the radio.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:50 pm 
1000 CLUB

Over at the Score, Shuester is another dull knife that really offers nothing.

Why is it that being the beat guy for a newspaper is considered a prestigious position. One where their bosses expect them to break stories or at least provide good content. Yet, it's not considered that way for the radio guys. Radio bosses give these gigs to idiots and expect nothing from them other than getting a sound bites from press conferences or gang bang interviews.

Why can't a radio beat guy be like a Brad Biggs even if it's not required? Why don't any want to be more than just the "Get the sound bite" guy?

Anybody have an answer to this?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Beardown wrote:

Why is it that being the beat guy for a newspaper is considered a prestigious position. One where their bosses expect them to break stories or at least provide good content. Yet, it's not considered that way for the radio guys. Radio bosses give these gigs to idiots and expect nothing from them other than getting a sound bites from press conferences or gang bang interviews.

Why can't a radio beat guy be like a Brad Biggs even if it's not required? Why don't any want to be more than just the "Get the sound bite" guy?

Easy. No incentive. Highly doubt the work would be rewarded.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:09 pm 
1000 CLUB

I don't know. If you prove not to be an idiot as a beat guy, break some stories, maybe you can get a day-part talk show. That's the only BIG money in radio.

I also would imagine the newspaper beat guys make double what the radio beat guys make. Maybe I'm wrong, though, since newspapers are losing money.

But the Trib fought to steal Briggs away from the Sun-Times cuz people do buy the paper because of him. I'll bet he makes 100k at least.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:40 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Curious Hair wrote:
I'm surprised the Score never promoted Jesse to, like, executive producer of the station. They could have had him book guests for all the shows at a time when Drinky and Goff either couldn't or didn't feel like trying. You know, all the behind-the-scenes stuff. Everyone says he was good at that, but a horse abortion on the radio.

That's not what an executive producer does. Or did, at the Score.

Jesse wanted to be on the air. He was offered Rongey's job and the money wasn't sufficient. So he moved to ESPN.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:50 pm 
1000 CLUB

Seacrest wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

That's not what an executive producer does. Or did, at the Score.

Jesse wanted to be on the air. He was offered Rongey's job and the money wasn't sufficient. So he moved to ESPN.

So being a Cubs reporter at ESPN 1000 pays more than Sox pre and post host. I wouldn't have thought that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:14 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
Curious Hair wrote:

He was at one time the sports director. In charge of assigning reporters to beats/stories/etc. He was the PD for Webio. So, you know, he's been tried. But ultimately he wants to be on the air.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:15 am 

pizza_Place: Connies
Beebo wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

He was at one time the sports director. In charge of assigning reporters to beats/stories/etc. He was the PD for Webio. So, you know, he's been tried. But ultimately he wants to be on the air.

Thats great that he wants to be on the air. I want to be on the air too, but I would suck at radio. So does Jesse. If he wants to be on the air, I am sure there is a radio market that will take him. But it shouldn't be in Chicago.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:19 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Beardown wrote:

Don't sell these guys short. When Goff was on the NBA beat he scooped the world on LeBron/Wade to the Bulls. Plus he got Boozer to say hello to him at the airport.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
good dolphin wrote:
We all know this guy is a first class simpleton. I think he even understands it is true. Whose idea was it to give him air time by making him an expert on anything?

I got to sample a little of his work yesterday on the drive home. He messed up two easy clichés in about five minutes. He generally showed no objectivity and framed everything as being irrelevant beyond the production of guys who will be here when they are good.

Hey Jesse, YOU will most likely not be there when they are good. Do your job and report the day to day happenings of the team.

Jessie made a career on messed up cliches!

"the grass is always greener, on this side of the fence"

"It's Wisconsin, it's practically right over the border"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
"Christmas falls on December 25th this year."

Wasn't a mangled cliche, but when he referred to Bobak Sausages as Brokeback Sausages, I just about died laughing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
good dolphin wrote:
He's another great example in local radio of a guy being able to afford to just hang around long enough that someone gives him a chance on the air. The guy probably tops out at a salary right around that of the Cubs locker room attendant but he's proud of himself because he is on the radio.

His Lawer Wife pays the bills. He does this to have something to do.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:13 am 

pizza_Place: Lugi's of Hong Kong
Don't sell these guys short. When Goff was on the NBA beat he scooped the world on LeBron/Wade to the Bulls. Plus he got Boozer to say hello to him at the airport.[/quote]

:lol: Perfect

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:47 pm 

Beardown wrote:

Because at some point after the new ratings measurements were perfected the realization set in that there was no need to do anything more to capture an already impressive market segment, and that in fact they could do less and still maintain the market. Why have experts when you can slap an "expert" title on just about anybody?

Newspaper guys are a dying breed which has a lingering legitimacy. Guys like Biggs are paid to cover a team and interact with others, from other teams, who are paid to do the same. Time was they were competitors, or loose associates. Now they are a shrinking number of survivors who are trying to find just about anything to cling on to keep their heads above the water and their voices heard.

What's most unfortunate for the listener/consumer is that the big boys make so much money that anyone looking to venture onto their turf needs big enough pockets to withstand the established market share and capital reserves to destroy them. Rod Zimmerman sits on over $100 in annual revenue, if the time comes that any newcomer makes a dent in the market share, CBS will open the coffers and raise the price of doing business.

I'd like to believe WGN could be up to the task but I don't believe, or more importantly doubt I'll listen, in what they have to offer. Except for McNeil, and that is simply for the sake of listening to McNeil.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:21 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
Bingo.

You listen anyhow.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:22 pm 

Over the last few weeks I've been driving a lot more and I find myself listening more and more to CBS News (FM). I would rather listen to sports talk but on too many stations are people that I don't care to hear. If CBS and ESPN were to lose 7-10% of their listeners to WGN I doubt they would do anything to change. Yet for WGN getting 14-20% of the CBS/ESPN pie would be a win for them, but they can still keep Teinowitz as I've heard him for far too long and he isn't what I want to hear.

McNeil as the lame duck is not entertaining, McNeil the conqueror would be.

Second behind Teinowitz is Jesse on the list of people I would rather not hear.

Newsradio occasionally provides comic relief: When talking about a motorcycle accident on the Edens Saturday night, they mentioned the motorcycle driver was killed and the passenger critically injured. Neither were wearing seat belts.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
It's like a tree falling in the forest, and nobody there to hear it.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:23 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
He's got the greatest leverage in the history of leverage.

"How long have you had 6 fingers?"