It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:24 pm 

denisdman wrote:
I am not trying to get my kid to the big leagues. I am much more worried about getting into a good college. That aside, I view baseball as one of the best ways to build a tight bond between me and my son. We go to games together, we watch games every night, and we play catch regularly. One benefit of travel ball is that we take road trips, to the Dells, Louisville, and Des Moines in the past year and spend time together. I have built a very close bond with my son because we both love baseball. Therefore, regardless with what happens, we both win.

I'll defer to folks on a lot of topics, but when it comes to baseball, it is one of my passions. Ok to disagree, but I am coming from an informed perspective.

:salut:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Beyond the competitiveness of the games, there are another differences. Travel teams have pretty solid coaches, while in house coaching is often suspect. Also, travel teams practices together in the off season even renting out facilities while the weather is bad. In house teams have a couple of spring practices, and then generally just play games. They might mix in a practice here and there, but it is not an emphasis. Travel is about teaching skills and various aspects of the game like holding runners on, double plays, hitting cut off men, etc.

Since I want my son to progress as a player, travel is a better option.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:28 pm 

denisdman wrote:
RR wow. Well said. :cheers:

He said your kid's program is deluding itself and is about a half step above a park district league.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Regular Reader wrote:
Hell, the sheeple that blindly follow the NFL watch the combine & draft which have even less action. But don't seem to notice.

I don't understand the motivation behind this criticism. The whole "My sport is better than your sport because __________" is the epitome of stupid sports talk.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:31 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Travel baseball is the only way for your son to improve.

Ok, Scoredenis.

That is completely ridiculous statement. It's on par with saying Football is the only way to learn discipline

denisdman wrote:
On a typical in house team, about three kids have a clue how to pitch and field.

Wrong again. Really Scoreheading now. Maybe your league sucks. That doesnt mean every league everywhere sucks.

Anyway, I think travelling before age 12 is dumb anyway. The way it was in the 80's and prior was fine. You play in your little league from 7-11 and around 12-13 everyone knows who the serious kids are and arent and you build your one travelling team.

Overzealous parents (not speaking of anyone here) dont want to play by that system because their kid is good, dammit!

RPB, there are so many levels of wrong here it's almost frightening. My son's league didn't suck. Actually we've won the state tournament 3x in the last 6 years and finished 2nd twice. However, the in house games generally blew. Dennis isn't that far off from what I've seen in 3 different leagues in the last 10 years, there isn't real baseball being played in most in house little league games. To throw multiple no hitters, or lead your league in homers in an in house league isn't a big deal.

To legitimately have hope of getting better, kids now have to play travel ball. The levels of competition are night and day different. (and I'm not even talking elite level ball that starts at 9-10 years old)

Florida/Arizona/California teams are saying the same thing about your elite program

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:31 pm 

SomeGuy wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Ok, Scoredenis.

That is completely ridiculous statement. It's on par with saying Football is the only way to learn discipline

denisdman wrote:
On a typical in house team, about three kids have a clue how to pitch and field.

Wrong again. Really Scoreheading now. Maybe your league sucks. That doesnt mean every league everywhere sucks.

Anyway, I think travelling before age 12 is dumb anyway. The way it was in the 80's and prior was fine. You play in your little league from 7-11 and around 12-13 everyone knows who the serious kids are and arent and you build your one travelling team.

Overzealous parents (not speaking of anyone here) dont want to play by that system because their kid is good, dammit!

Tons of sweeping, overly general statements there, RogersParkBernSTINE.

Actually no, there's no generalizations there. Denis generalized and I said his experience is not the same as everyone else's.

Then I gave my personal opinion and labeled it as such.

The last statement is true of some parents, I didnt say all.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Grobber coming on to talk Hawkey before transition.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:33 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
this kid comes up looking scared to death, looks at 4 pitches and strikes out. As he's walking back to the bench his Mom is literally giving him a standing ovation telling him how hard he tried and what a good job he did. Fuck that. I'm not saying boo your son, but he stood there and hoped he would walk. He didn't try at all. The bat didn't leave his shoulder for a practice swing either. But stand up and cheer his effort? No. I don't care if he missed by a foot with each swing, at least that would be putting forth an effort.

That kid hates baseball and is being forced to play, which is always a recipe for success

RPB, how do you know so much about this, you sure seem damn sure that you are right in all of your responses?

Just a guess. Think Im probably right though?

Doesnt sound like a kid who wants to play

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
T-Bone wrote:
Grobber coming on to talk Hawkey before transition.

Hopefully it's not a shitty interview.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
To be clear RPB, my comments are based on personal experience over five years with two children. In a given year, my son played on both a travel and in house teams. As such, I have a sound basis for my opinions. However, it is quite possible that other leagues do not have those issues. In talking to parents around my office, I suspect they are very similar.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:37 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
this kid comes up looking scared to death, looks at 4 pitches and strikes out. As he's walking back to the bench his Mom is literally giving him a standing ovation telling him how hard he tried and what a good job he did. Fuck that. I'm not saying boo your son, but he stood there and hoped he would walk. He didn't try at all. The bat didn't leave his shoulder for a practice swing either. But stand up and cheer his effort? No. I don't care if he missed by a foot with each swing, at least that would be putting forth an effort.

That kid hates baseball and is being forced to play, which is always a recipe for success

RPB, how do you know so much about this, you sure seem damn sure that you are right in all of your responses?

Just a guess. Think Im probably right though?

Doesnt sound like a kid who wants to play

Sorry, I was more alluding to your travel thoughts vs. Little League or in house leagues.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Use of KISS's "Deuce" going into Grobstein's interview. Nice. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Taco Bell Mexican Pizza...mmmmm
Regular Reader wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
There's actually far less action in a football game anyway. Something like 8-10 actual minutes during a 3 hour game. But football fans love commercials. They wait all year to excitedly analyze them the day after the Super Bowl.

No.

He's actually pretty dead on. Figure 100/120 plays per game @ on average a generous 6 seconds per play - 600/720 seconds (10-12 minutes). And at least 12-18 of those plays are spiking the ball, punting, and touchbacks.

Hell, the sheeple that blindly follow the NFL watch the combine & draft which have even less action. But don't seem to notice.

The thing is, there's only 16 games in the NFL, so those 10 - 12 minutes per game pack more punch and have more meaning than whatever baseball delivers, or basketball or hockey. If the NFL was 32 games, I highly doubt it would be near as popular as it is - even if the premiere players managed to stay healthy.

By the way, all sports fans are pretty much sheep - let's face it. For anyone to put so much attention and emotion on an organization consisting of rich athletes who don't know you and couldn't give two shits about you, with your only affiliation to that team being that you live in the same city or general vicinity of their office and the stadium they play in, is pretty sheep like.

Last edited by FloydGondolli on Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:38 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Ok, Scoredenis.

denisdman wrote:

RPB, there are so many levels of wrong here it's almost frightening. My son's league didn't suck. Actually we've won the state tournament 3x in the last 6 years and finished 2nd twice. However, the in house games generally blew. Dennis isn't that far off from what I've seen in 3 different leagues in the last 10 years, there isn't real baseball being played in most in house little league games. To throw multiple no hitters, or lead your league in homers in an in house league isn't a big deal.

To legitimately have hope of getting better, kids now have to play travel ball. The levels of competition are night and day different. (and I'm not even talking elite level ball that starts at 9-10 years old)

I have had different experiences than you. The in house leagues I have been around are very good and the travelling ones are not much better. Maybe Im just lucky.

But you can also play in multiple leagues without being on a travel team. (Its essentially the same thing but still house leagues)Some real good kids I grew up with played fall ball or played in neighboring town's leagues with different schedules.

Anyway, my main issue was with the "if you want to get better, you have to travel"

I disagree with that. Just my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:39 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
Sorry, I was more alluding to your travel thoughts vs. Little League or in house leagues.

Just my opinion.

Ive seen many parents do what Panther originally described though and try and either buy or will the kid onto a travelling team.

The other thing is just a pet peeve of mine. People making their kids play sports they hate irks me personally.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:41 pm 

denisdman wrote:
To be clear RPB, my comments are based on personal experience over five years with two children. In a given year, my son played on both a travel and in house teams. As such, I have a sound basis for my opinions. However, it is quite possible that other leagues do not have those issues. In talking to parents around my office, I suspect they are very similar.

I've grown to hate the term "house league".

The whole purpose of the park district league is to give anyone who would like an opportunity to learn, enjoy and play the game. There is no doubt that collecting the best will lead to greater competition but, as RR detailed, it still ain't that great.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:41 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

Just my opinion.

Ive seen many parents do what Panther originally described though and try and either buy or will the kid onto a travelling team.

The other thing is just a pet peeve of mine. People making their kids play sports they hate irks me personally.

Gotcha, and I would never make a kid keep playing a sport they don't like, but I am a believer in finishing what you start for that season.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:42 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Regular Reader wrote:
denisdman wrote:
I am not trying to get my kid to the big leagues. I am much more worried about getting into a good college. That aside, I view baseball as one of the best ways to build a tight bond between me and my son. We go to games together, we watch games every night, and we play catch regularly. One benefit of travel ball is that we take road trips, to the Dells, Louisville, and Des Moines in the past year and spend time together. I have built a very close bond with my son because we both love baseball. Therefore, regardless with what happens, we both win.

I'll defer to folks on a lot of topics, but when it comes to baseball, it is one of my passions. Ok to disagree, but I am coming from an informed perspective.

:salut:

Teach him to play catcher and his future in baseball could be secure.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:43 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

Just my opinion.

Gotcha, and I would never make a kid keep playing a sport they don't like, but I am a believer in finishing what you start for that season.

Agreed. And its hard because a kid might love a sport but they're afraid to try and once they do they love it. So I get the temptation to push.

But yes, once youre on the team, you finish the year. Finishing something you dont love because you have to is a good life lesson anyway.

That story just screamed of a kid who wanted no part of it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
While you clowns argue about what sports your brats play, you missed one of the better inside jokes I have heard. "Deuce" by KISS is Grobstein's theme-song.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:47 pm 

RR said he could spot the kids by 9-10 years of age. The truth is, you can spot it almost immediately at age 6. Some kids will work hard and make themselves good but the really good are noticeable. If you want to kill the game, start paring down things at that age.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:48 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

Just my opinion.

Agreed. And its hard because a kid might love a sport but they're afraid to try and once they do they love it. So I get the temptation to push.

But yes, once youre on the team, you finish the year. Finishing something you dont love because you have to is a good life lesson anyway.

That story just screamed of a kid who wanted no part of it.

And as far as the travel team my son was on, we didn't travel all over the creation. We did a lot of traveling locally and would go down to Illinois or Indiana once or twice a year, everything else was local. Last year we took the boys to Disney and played which was amazing trip for all involved. But, that was more or less a celebration of the boys since they had been playing together basically since they were 9. Also, the more parents got along for the most part very well, which makes it so much more enjoyable. I have seen teams where there are parent issues and it can make for a long summer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:50 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
FavreFan wrote:
I'm talking about the stupid strawman that football fans watch the Super Bowl for the commercials.

Are you saying they don't? I think it's a pretty damn fair statement when you're counting all the girls (and some guys) who sit there ooohing and aaahing and giggling over the commericals and take their bathroom or snack breaks during game action as "football fans" for purposes of claiming it as the "most popular sport".

:cheers: :cheers:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:51 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
And as far as the travel team my son was on, we didn't travel all over the creation. We did a lot of traveling locally and would go down to Illinois or Indiana once or twice a year, everything else was local. Last year we took the boys to Disney and played which was amazing trip for all involved. But, that was more or less a celebration of the boys since they had been playing together basically since they were 9. Also, the more parents got along for the most part very well, which makes it so much more enjoyable. I have seen teams where there are parent issues and it can make for a long summer.

I didnt mean to imply hatred of all travelling teams. Just the expansion and inclusion of so many kids who probably dont belong.

IMO, the travelling team should be the best 15 kids from each town. Keep it simple.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:52 pm 

If the travel teams truly cared about making the kids better, they would have far fewer games and far more practices. Practice with good coaching is how you become better. The games are just the fun part to display what you have learned.

With all of this specialization and elite competition, is the quality of play any better at any level of baseball than, say, 50 years ago? I ask that with an open mind to the answer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
I'm talking about the stupid strawman that football fans watch the Super Bowl for the commercials.

Are you saying they don't? I think it's a pretty damn fair statement when you're counting all the girls (and some guys) who sit there ooohing and aaahing and giggling over the commericals and take their bathroom or snack breaks during game action as "football fans" for purposes of claiming it as the "most popular sport".

I don't really care about the most popular sport argument. I understand the Super Bowl is more of an event than a sporting event, and many of the women enjoy the commercials more than the football. Those aren't football fans. When you talk about football and baseball, it definitely has an inferiority complex vibe to it. Who cares if more people watch football than baseball? Is that really going to affect your love of baseball? Like I said, the my sport is better than your sport stuff is really stupid, even for this board. Why are people so invested in what sports other people follow and why?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:55 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
If the travel teams truly cared about making the kids better, they would have far fewer games and far more practices. Practice with good coaching is how you become better. The games are just the fun part to display what you have learned.

With all of this specialization and elite competition, is the quality of play any better at any level of baseball than, say, 50 years ago? I ask that with an open mind to the answer.

That is the reason originally we started the team, in our little league we could never get field time for practice. We joined the Jaguars program and had to split the field with only 2 other teams = more practice time.

Yes, I think it is but I am not a fan of taking a 10 year old kid and saying you are just playing baseball and no other sports. I think playing other sports helps skills all the way around.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:56 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Not a single person under the age of 60 watches the World Series. That probably even includes fans of the participating teams.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:57 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I don't really care about the most popular sport argument. I understand the Super Bowl is more of an event than a sporting event, and many of the women enjoy the commercials more than the football. Those aren't football fans. When you talk about football and baseball, it definitely has an inferiority complex vibe to it. Who cares if more people watch football than baseball? Is that really going to affect your love of baseball? Like I said, the my sport is better than your sport stuff is really stupid, even for this board. Why are people so invested in what sports other people follow and why?

Because baseball's headed boxing's way, and its fans are butthurt about it.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:58 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
There is very little in common with "elite" level teams and in house or 80% of the glorified "travel" programs. There is no way that a regular travel team (think any team with Alsip, Palos, Plainfield, Tinley Park, Oak Forest or Homer Glen in their name) will win more than 10% of its games vs. true elite level travel teams. One level actually plays baseball, the others give the parents to come to the park, drink, hand out snacks and socialize.

What makes an elite travel team? What are they made up of? Kids from house leagues right?

Is it one team for a large area?

Maybe I misunderstand what you're saying here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next