It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:54 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Q.Bovifs wrote:
Krazy Ivan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Isn't it industry standard to pull the plug on talent a month or two before their contract ends if negotiations towards a new contract are not proceeding? Dan has said he will not be on the air this summer under any circumstances. I believe his contract runs until June. Considering all these points, will Mitch take Dan off the air in the next few weeks?

Yes.

You don't run the risk of letting Bad Mood Mac anywhere near a mic during that time.

Jason Goff, your table is ready...

Goff ain't coming back.

When you are fired by CBS, you're fired by CBS.

Your supposition is demonstrably false.

We need look no further than Les Grobstein's employment history to confirm this fact.

He was fired by the Score, a CBS station, for using false press credentials.

Then he was rehired by the Score, the same CBS station, a couple years later.

So I think it's clear that Goff could be hired by the Score. My question, though, is why would Mitch want him? Why turn WSCR into WABC (Another Bernstein Clone)?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:00 am 

I thought the Score was an independently owned station back when Julie ratted him out.

Les was in the penalty box for a number of years and was rehired at the strong urging of North back when North had leverage

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:05 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Spaulding wrote:
If that is true then I'm disappointed with Mac.

And he should have known Speigel would suck at this.

I don't believe Mac feels the content provided by Spiegel sucks. I think bigfan is probably on to something though. Mac purposely brought in a guy who he thought would feel he owed him so he could do certain things, but that second banana doesn't want to stay second. It's kind of like a Dahl-Meier thing to a much lesser degree.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:30 am 
1000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
I thought the Score was an independently owned station back when Julie ratted him out.

Les was in the penalty box for a number of years and was rehired at the strong urging of North back when North had leverage

The Score hasn't been an independently owned station since 1997, when it was purchased by Westinghouse/CBS.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:42 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Tall Midget wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

The Score hasn't been an independently owned station since 1997, when it was purchased by Westinghouse/CBS.

This.

The sale was announced in 96 i think.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:51 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I don't believe Mac feels the content provided by Spiegel sucks. I think bigfan is probably on to something though. Mac purposely brought in a guy who he thought would feel he owed him so he could do certain things, but that second banana doesn't want to stay second. It's kind of like a Dahl-Meier thing to a much lesser degree.

Mac can't have it both ways though. If he brought Speigel in to do more but isn't doing it Mac's way then too bad so sad if that's what you guys mean. Speigel is not creative, he mostly repeats what he likes that someone else said.

I think that Speigel would also believe he is doing okay by Mac. He kisses Mac's ass and strokes his ego. I could also see Speigel being the type of person to say look how I took up for you during your absences, I did a great job, I am a team guy, and now I'm important too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:07 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Spaulding wrote:
Mac can't have it both ways though. If he brought Speigel in to do more but isn't doing it Mac's way then too bad so sad if that's what you guys mean. Speigel is not creative, he mostly repeats what he likes that someone else said.

Think that's the difference between career broadcaster/radio guys (Bernstein/Grimace) and guys who do radio in addition to being journalists (Mariotti/Mully/Hanley). The former usual simply parrot what the latter have written elsewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:49 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Giordano's (Stuffed)
Hello Good Dolphin, how are you? :)

Les coming back to The Score had nothing to do with Mike North. North left in summer 2008; Les returned in summer 2009, either at the same time or shortly after Mac's return.

good dolphin wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:14 pm 

Great, Martin. Good to have you back.

I guess I have this situation 100% incorrect.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:55 am 
1000 CLUB

Q.Bovifs wrote:
Bad example. A lot of time passed between Grobber being fired and hired.

If that same amount of time passed between Goff getting axed in ATL and re-hired here, it's still a real shitpackage for Jason George.

I should have clarified that CBS would not hire deGoffa RIGHT BACK, though.

Do I need to point out that you've changed your argument? First you say an employee fired by a CBS radio station can't be hired by a CBS radio station. I prove your assertion false. Now you say that my example is "bad" because there's some kind of time limit that governs the rehiring of said fired employees? You're making stuff up as you go along. :lol: :lol: Embarrassing! :lol: :lol:

Les was rehired by the Score because the station manager that fired Les got booted and was replaced by Mitch. One of Mitch's first moves upon joining the Score was reinstating the Grobber.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Tall Midget wrote:
Les was rehired by the Score because the station manager that fired Les got booted and was replaced by Mitch. One of Mitch's first moves upon joining the Score was reinstating the Grobber.

But Mitch has been the PD at the Score since 2005, hasn't he? Didn't Les come back during that weird little time that Drew Hayes was kinda the GM but not really? or was it right after that when Les came back?

Oh, and not like it's really the same, but I know that when NextMedia owned all the collar-county stations in Waukegan, Joliet, Crystal Lake, Kenosha, Aurora, it was fairly commonplace for people to get fired from one station and then re-hired at another one. I highly doubt there's anyone at Black Rock who won't let CBS Radio Chicago hire someone whom CBS Radio Atlanta fired.