It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 668 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Hawg Ass wrote:
Shot a 80 the first round I played as I hit it ok but made no putts and if I missed a green I was not getting it up and down. Played 9 yesterday at a pretty good course and shot Even, bogeyed the first hole and played the last 8 in 1 under. Putting was much better as I lipped out 2 birdie putts and left 1 short right in the middle of the cup. My hip was bothering me this morning so I am taking today off. Have a 10:00 tee time tomorrow for 18 and will play 18 more on Friday before I head home on Saturday. The weather down here has been absolutely perfect and it is killing me I am not playing today.

Hip checking Tennessee women away from you at the bar, or just bad golf hip I'm getting old stuff?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:14 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Shot a 80 the first round I played as I hit it ok but made no putts and if I missed a green I was not getting it up and down. Played 9 yesterday at a pretty good course and shot Even, bogeyed the first hole and played the last 8 in 1 under. Putting was much better as I lipped out 2 birdie putts and left 1 short right in the middle of the cup. My hip was bothering me this morning so I am taking today off. Have a 10:00 tee time tomorrow for 18 and will play 18 more on Friday before I head home on Saturday. The weather down here has been absolutely perfect and it is killing me I am not playing today.

Hip checking Tennessee women away from you at the bar, or just bad golf hip I'm getting old stuff?

I wish the first, but unfortunately the 2nd. I think way to many golf swings in my life and at some point in time over the next 10 years I am going to looking at probable hip replacement. :(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:10 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:50 pm 

It sucks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:30 am 
100000 CLUB

I just signed my wife up for beginners golf lessons. An hour every Saturday morning in May. She doesn't want to play nearly as much as me, but 6-8 rounds a year. Hopefully she likes it and doesn't get too frustrated. I've had her on the range before and she actually has a pretty smooth and decent little swing. When she does connect (with 5iron) the ball goes dead straight probably 100-120 yards. She loves that. Its the swinging and missing 5 times in a row after that which really frustrates her. She likes the mats better because she almost always hits the ball :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:43 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
I just signed my wife up for beginners golf lessons.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:47 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Furious Styles wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
I just signed my wife up for beginners golf lessons.

Furious is correct, Frank. Worlds are colliding. Proceed with caution.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:33 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I just signed my wife up for beginners golf lessons. An hour every Saturday morning in May. She doesn't want to play nearly as much as me, but 6-8 rounds a year. Hopefully she likes it and doesn't get too frustrated. I've had her on the range before and she actually has a pretty smooth and decent little swing. When she does connect (with 5iron) the ball goes dead straight probably 100-120 yards. She loves that. Its the swinging and missing 5 times in a row after that which really frustrates her. She likes the mats better because she almost always hits the ball :lol:

As long as she has a good attitude about it and realizes it takes practice and work to get better you should be
ok. Might be something fun you both can do together. My ex had a lot of potential to be good but she couldn't
take it when she missed or had a bad shot. She also wouldn't watch her ball or count her own strokes so any
time we would go out my day was ruined just trying to keep her from going over the deep end and usually played
like shit because of it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
just got back from a short practice session on the chipping green at Glencoe. I think I figured out why I was shanking the ball. All my grass marks were near the hozzle so today I started setting up with the toe of the club on the ball. As a result all my marks are now in the center so obviously I have a natural tendency to get my club slightly outside (or is it inside) when I strike the ball..just need to keep setting up on the toe and I should be fine.

Tomorrow I'm sneaking out of work early to play with some friends.

Then Saturday is the big day, got my rookie debut in the Golf Week Am Tour at Prairie Landing. My tee time is 12:10, playing in the B flight (9-13 hndcp). Hoping I don't embarrass myself too much with my play and my knowledge of all the rules. Pretty cool set up they have there. Just downloaded an App that will keep track of everyone's score in real time so you can check the leaderboard whenever you want.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:58 pm 

shakes wrote:
just got back from a short practice session on the chipping green at Glencoe. I think I figured out why I was shanking the ball. All my grass marks were near the hozzle so today I started setting up with the toe of the club on the ball. As a result all my marks are now in the center so obviously I have a natural tendency to get my club slightly outside (or is it inside) when I strike the ball..just need to keep setting up on the toe and I should be fine.

Tomorrow I'm sneaking out of work early to play with some friends.

Then Saturday is the big day, got my rookie debut in the Golf Week Am Tour at Prairie Landing. My tee time is 12:10, playing in the B flight (9-13 hndcp). Hoping I don't embarrass myself too much with my play and my knowledge of all the rules. Pretty cool set up they have there. Just downloaded an App that will keep track of everyone's score in real time so you can check the leaderboard whenever you want.

Good luck Saturday shakes. I think you will find competitive golf to be a pretty good time. It can be a crap
shoot getting grouped with people that are enjoyable to play with, but if that works out I would bet you have
a good experience.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:37 pm 

Pretty gloomy weekend for golf. I'm going to get out early tomorrow morning with a 6:45 tee time and
play with one buddy of mine who doesn't mind getting up early. Sunday isn't looking too promising
but it might open up in the afternoon after some rain in the morning. Anyone else going to get out this weekend?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:39 pm 

41-44-85 at Sunset Valley today. Played great for the most part, needed that after Sunday's disaster.

Now to relax the rest of the night and get ready for the tournament tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:56 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
650 AM Sunday tee time at Lick Creek in Pekin, IL. It's a Park District course but easily one of the toughest courses in the area. I'll be hitting my new (used) X14's I got for 120 bucks. Should be interesting, to say the least.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:32 am 
100000 CLUB

Played 9 holes on Saturday. The weather was brutal and so was the golf. 52, no pars, 2 doubles and a triple bogey, 2 putted from about 3', lost 3 balls, only hit 1 GIR and 3 putted that....it was just awful. Funny thing is that I hit a bucket on the range beforehand and all but 2 shots were pretty good. Once I actually get out onto the course though there is something going on with my swing, I just don't know what. The wind was awful, but 90% of that score was on me. It was just bad all the way around. About the only good thing was that I had gotten a gift certificate for Xmas so at least I didn't waste any money.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:56 am 

Got out early Saturday and it wasn't too bad out other than being a little crisp. Had two ugly double
bogeys and misclubbed a few shots but managed to pull it together the last nine holes for an 81. I
have two scramble tournaments this coming weekend with the one on Saturday offering a free 2014
membership so hoping for some decent weather and good play by my group. I really need to go to
practice the short game at some point after work this week. Mostly chipping within 50 yds and around
the green. I am struggling to get up and down when missing the green.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:05 am 

I had that Mid-Size putter grip installed and absolutely love it. Keeps me from breaking down, especially on the short putts. Hawg Jr. got the fatso and he likes it but I liked the mid-size much better.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:42 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
I had that Mid-Size putter grip installed and absolutely love it. Keeps me from breaking down, especially on the short putts. Hawg Jr. got the fatso and he likes it but I liked the mid-size much better.

I got the Super Stroke Slim and it's been great. can't wait until the greens start running true.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:27 am 

Made my rookie debut on the Golfweek Am Tour Saturday at Prairie Landing. It was quite an experience. Got there way too early for my 12:10 tee time, hit some balls at the range and on the chipping green, after about an hour and a half my back started hurting so just hung out at the first tee and watched guys tee off.

Finally my time to tee off came. Was paired up with one guy who was also a rookie and then some old guy who has been there for 5 years. Rode with the rookie and he was really cool, we got along great. The other guy was a bit of a dick, neither one of us cared for him and made fun of him basically the whole round. Tournament is really well run. Everyone had to download an app that did real time scoring. It was cool, you enter everyone's score after each hole and then you can check the leader board on your phone to find out where you stand.

First tee, my name gets announced and I go up there to take my shot. Its a layup hole so I grab my hybrid, legs shaking from being nervous and having about 25 people watching. I hit a perfect shot 200 yards down the middle. Get up to my ball, and legs still shaking I skull a 75 yard sand wedge over the green and into a trap. Skull out of there over the green..end up getting a triple bogey.

Battled nerves and concentration issues the whole front nine. I was so focused on everything going on in the tournament that I wasn't focusing enough on my shots.

But, more than that I battled the wind too. It was gusting at least 30 mph all day, really tough to deal with.

My most regretable moment came on hole #5. Risk reward tee shot with a fairway split by a creek. I went with the risk and took it up the left side...cleared the creek and then bounced into the water about 30 yards past the bridge, up near the green. I get up there and the old guy tells me to drop by the bridge. I say that my ball went in about 30 yards up and he says he thought it went in by the bridge. So, being the new guy I dropped where he said, had the wrong club in my hand and tried to muscle a SW to the green, came up 5 yards short and rolled back into the water. ended up with a triple. My cart partner told me that he thought my ball went in where I said it did and to fuck that old guy, I should've just insisted on the drop. Later on we realized that the old guy couldn't see shit and was constantly wrong on where balls were going. SO I made a big rookie mistake there.

Next hole I was still pissed and shanked my 7 iron off the tee. Got up and down from 40 yards out so that was ok.

ended up with a 49 on the front. Settled down on the back and shot a 45 for a 94 total. Finished tied for 31st out of 52 in my flight. The winner had an 81.

On the day I mishit 6 wedge shots, either real thin or fat, something I just don't do anymore. Lots of nerves and just being overwhelmed with the whole situation. I hit only one GIR all day and it was a 240 yard par 3.

All in all, not entirely unhappy with my performance. Seeing how many shots I left out on the course I know I can play well enough to contend. Made lots of mistakes I can learn from out there.

Looking forward to doing it again at Cantigny in a couple weeks. My goal is to finish top 20 at that event.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:35 am 

shakes wrote:
Everyone had to download an app that did real time scoring. It was cool, you enter everyone's score after each hole and then you can check the leader board on your phone to find out where you stand.

This is pretty cool.
Although I think I'd spend WAY too much time staring at my phone all day. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:40 am 

spanky wrote:
shakes wrote:
Everyone had to download an app that did real time scoring. It was cool, you enter everyone's score after each hole and then you can check the leader board on your phone to find out where you stand.

This is pretty cool.
Although I think I'd spend WAY too much time staring at my phone all day. :lol:

yea, that was part of the problem. After every hole I had to enter everyone's score on the smart phone, then fill out everyone's score on the official paper scorecard, then fill out my own personal score on my own scorecard and then rush up to the tee and hit cause i was worried about it taking too long and getting a slow play penalty.

But it was neat to be able to see your name moving up and down the leaderboard all day. At one point I was in the top 20 and then I responded with a triple after putting a drive 290-300 yards down the middle (extremely wind aided).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:05 pm 

Competitive tournament golf is a different animal but it will teach you a lot about your game. Sounds like you
had some fun and it will get easier moving forward.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:02 pm 

My two man 9 hole golf league debuts tomorrow at Sportsman in Northbrook. First week is "own ball". Never played in one of these before, looking forward to it.

I should have an official handicap tomorrow when the revisions come out since I've now posted 5 rounds this season. I'm starting over with handicap since my 11 from last year was done without 100% following the rules. Since I have a 99 and a 94 in my 5 rounds I'm expecting a pretty high number tomorrow which will help us in the league, but hurt me in the pride department :oops:

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:46 am 
100000 CLUB

I was watching the Golf Channel last night, and the Champions Tour had Arnold, Gary, and Jack playing together in a scramble form, along with Lee Trevino and some other legends. I caught it late so I only watched about 45min of it before I went to sleep, but man was it cool to watch. Arnie plays like an 80 year old, but Gary and Jack were killing their drives and sticking their approaches with 5-15' of the pins. They were also teasing each other and going back and forth on one outdriving the other, who was closer to the pin, etc. It was pretty amazing to see, and really fun to watch.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:38 am 

41 in my 9 hole golf league last night. My partner, who is a 7 handicap, shot a 45. First two weeks are to establish league handicap. League looks like it will be a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:50 am 

I have two scramble tournaments this weekend and just thankful the weather is going to work out
and will be able to get some guy time with my buddies. Fewer and fewer weekends work out where
everyone can get together. Tomorrow first prize is a season pass so it would be awesome for my
buddies to win that so we could get out more often but it will be very tough as a lot of ringers

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 5:41 am 

Tough conditions yesterday with 30-40 mph wind gusts. We had holes where we were hitting 5 irons in from
140 yards it was crazy. Managed to pull together a -9 score and won the tournament by one shot over two
teams. Was really happy that my buddies now have a pass now so we should get to play more often. The
course wasn't sure what they were going to do with mine since I already have a pass. I was hoping they would
just give me one for next year but it is up to the general manager who was not there. ANother option would be
to upgrade my pass up to the next level which includes free range balls. Not really the same value as a pass
for next year. Guess I will just see how it shakes out. Tournament #2 today. I am looking forward to getting
home and watching the Hawks and relaxing a bit. Was just nice not to have to wear a jacket for once.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 5:39 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Tough conditions yesterday with 30-40 mph wind gusts. We had holes where we were hitting 5 irons in from
140 yards it was crazy. Managed to pull together a -9 score and won the tournament by one shot over two
teams. Was really happy that my buddies now have a pass now so we should get to play more often. The
course wasn't sure what they were going to do with mine since I already have a pass. I was hoping they would
just give me one for next year but it is up to the general manager who was not there. ANother option would be
to upgrade my pass up to the next level which includes free range balls. Not really the same value as a pass
for next year. Guess I will just see how it shakes out. Tournament #2 today. I am looking forward to getting
home and watching the Hawks and relaxing a bit. Was just nice not to have to wear a jacket for once.

Your subconscious is telling you what you should do with that extra free pass.

I agree about the wind yesterday. It was brutal. Had the oddest round of my life yesterday. Played at Highlands of Elgin which is windy every day, but yesterday was ridiculous. A couple times my ball was moving as I was putting it. Throw in the fact that Highlands had their greens running like it was mid August and it was a brutal day on the greens. On the front I had five 3putts and a 4putt. I ended up with a 98 and the crazy thing is I hit the ball better than I ever have in my life. Hit the first 11 fairways and 12/14 in total. Hit 3/4 par 3 greens. But, the wind and the greens just screwed me. 3 club difference at least into the wind. Had a 160 yard shot, hit a perfect 3 wood that came up short. Another hole hit a perfect 5 iron only to have the wind let up for a second and it go over the green and into a bunker. I calculated afterwards that I lost 17 shots because of the wind. Putting was impossible. Between the speed and the wind it got to the point where we were just trying to putt it close, not even entertaining the chance of making them.

really crazy day...last year when I shot my best score ever 77 I didn't strike the ball nearly as well as I did yesterday.

Then, went out today with the wife and played Pheasant Run. Not a good sign that my back hurt so much this morning my wife had to tie my shoes. Started out good with 3 straight pars, but then the back started killing me and my game fell apart. Couldn't swing the club. Finally gave up and stopped playing after 15 holes. Not happy about not being able to play 2 days in a row, hopefully this doesn't become a running theme this summer.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:54 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Got out for first time today. Played 18 on a very long course. Pretty challenging but fun. Windy and overcast here today. 60 degrees sun here and there. Didn't keep score just played and worked on things. I would guess 110? I really need to get a handle on the PW. That really kills me. A couple holes I was ping ponging back and forth over green.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:35 am 

Played a scramble yesterday at a nice links course about 40 minutes north of Lake Geneva called
The Broadlands. It was a full field and some tough competition with the winning score of 58 which
is pretty damn good on that course. We had a 62 and missed a number of makeable putts but
just couldn't find our rythmn. Another really windy day and cold until about noon when the wind
died down and sun showed up.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:48 am 
100000 CLUB

95 Saturday at Coyote Run. Started off hitting the ball real well, hit 4 of the first 5 greens in reg and 3 putted 3 times :( . Then on the back 9 started putting real well but couldn't get off the tee. Back to back holes I dribbled my drives and ended up taking double and triple bogey. Pretty ugly. Then had back to back birdies and ended with a par so while I had a lot of bad shots I ended up with 44 on the back 9. It was not the best round by there were some positives to take from it.

My wife loved her golf lesson and already can't wait until next weekend. She said she didn't hit straight much at all, but once 'Coach George' showed her how to set up and swing she didn't swing and miss once. I was really happy she had a fun time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 668 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 23  Next