It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
I don't think WMVP listeners, for the most part, are able to formulate a thought worth typing out.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Mike and Mike
Waddle and Silvy

The fact that both of these are beating 670 just shows that people are idiots. You couldnt have two pairs of more boring vanilla hosts.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
And White Sox baseball claims another victim.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Hatchetman wrote:
I don't think WMVP listeners, for the most part, are able to formulate a thought worth typing out.

fight! fight! fight! Fight!

*grabs popcorn*

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Hatchetman wrote:

The only reason The Score has so many threads is because:

1. Zizou & all the producers are jelly of Mac.
2. Beardown's obscession w/ Bernsie.
3. Everybody else's disdain for Bernsie.

The MVP shows (Mike & Mike, Silvy & TWaddle) are just good. There isn't all this drama, shitting on the hosts, having to call someone out for being an asshole. Mike & Mike are solid. Silvy is great. Waddle, while vanilla, isn't a terrible listen.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:58 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
In the demographic of Men 25-54, all eyes tend to check out the fierce rivalry between Chicago's two sports talk stations, WSCR-AM/670 The Score and WMVP-AM/ESPN 1000. Just as was the case with WGN-AM, sports broadcasts played a big role in altering the ratings. For one station, it meant an increase, while for another, it seemed to mean a decrease.

While WSCR-AM still wins the ratings battle in their target demo overall against their rival, WMVP-AM won the ratings in both mornings and afternoons for the first time in well over a year. Part of the reason for WMVP-AM's increased afternoon ratings (and increased ratings overall) has to do with strong interest in the Chicago Bulls' short-lived playoff run, as well as picking up listeners from WSCR-AM, who seem to have low interest in Chicago White Sox afternoon game broadcasts. (WMVP-AM is the Bulls' flagship radio home, while WSCR-AM is the White Sox's flagship radio home.)

Just shows people are stupid. Basketball on the radio is awful. Low interest in White Sox I understand though.

Or Larz is stupid

There was zero buzz for the Bulls playoff run.

Ding, Ding Ding

The only time MVP used to beat SCR was in the summer when they used to have the Sox games. Overall listenership gave them a bump every year.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:00 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Colonel Angus wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

The MVP shows (Mike & Mike, Silvy & TWaddle) are just good. There isn't all this drama, shitting on the hosts, having to call someone out for being an asshole. Mike & Mike are solid. Silvy is great. Waddle, while vanilla, isn't a terrible listen.

I honestly have to say when I traveled for a job and prior to reliable streams in the car via phone Mike and Mike were just fine anywhere in the country.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:00 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
terry's got to go. danny is fine when there is someone to point out his inconsistancies (i.e. people excited about tim tebow are idiots...OOOOHH MICHAEL SAM IS A HERO!!) and call him out on his sources. goff did a good job of that and when goff was there, matty was more frequent with it at as well. terry is just completely useless on the show. he offers nothing. if who's your guy doesn't just absolutely magnify it 100x i don't know what else to say. i sound like a broken record.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Seacrest wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Or Larz is stupid.

Ding, Ding Ding

I remember Larz explaining with great authority that there would never be an alternative station in Chicago again and that the alternative format would die throughout America because its demographic was too poor. I think this was about two months before Q87.7 launched and proceeded to get ratings close to those of 890.

Last edited by Curious Hair on Tue May 13, 2014 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:02 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Colonel Angus wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

I honestly have to say when I traveled for a job and prior to reliable streams in the car via phone Mike and Mike were just fine anywhere in the country.

as one who would watch sportscenter every night, i hated mike and mike. it just seemed overproduced and rehashed. but now that i rarely watch espn, i could enjoy mike and mike if 1000 came in better here in the quad cities. my other choice is freaking North and Furman. eeesh.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:02 pm 

If I were some of their guest and Terry asked a question I would look at the phone and ask myself were you drinking with Pittmike all weekend? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:04 pm 

hnd wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Colonel Angus wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

as one who would watch sportscenter every night, i hated mike and mike. it just seemed overproduced and rehashed. but now that i rarely watch espn, i could enjoy mike and mike if 1000 came in better here in the quad cities. my other choice is freaking North and Furman. eeesh.

Its perfect background without the headache.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:13 pm 

i kind of liked furman when he was with artrell hawkins. he's a loudmouth but artrell would bust on him. it was funny. now with north they just shout the entire time, furman talks about stickball in brooklyn and here is my imitation of north on fox sports radio

Mike north on the NBA : "JORDAN JORDAN JORDAN JORDAN"

Mike north on the NFL : "85 BEAR 85 BEARS 85 BEARS"

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
The show was bad 4-5 years ago and it has only gotten worse.

People are finally taking notice.

SomeGuy was way ahead of the curve on this one.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
ZephMarshack wrote:
Scorehead, would you say that these numbers mean Mitch must shake up the current schedule ASAP?

:lol:

Yes!

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Chus wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:
I guess,like someone else mentioned, that maybe this board does reflect the listening public.

Of course it does. This board represents the most important demo, men 25-54.

Damn...I leave this demo this year.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:29 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Scorehead wrote:
Chus wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:
I guess,like someone else mentioned, that maybe this board does reflect the listening public.

Of course it does. This board represents the most important demo, men 25-54.

Damn...I leave this demo this year.

sweet.....I'm like the 5th or 6th oldest person on here. I don't feel so badly now.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
WMVP is censored by ESPN. There's no doubt about that. The hell with that.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Hatchetman wrote:

Jurko told Mac that they were told by the mother nipple, to not criticize the World Baseball Classic.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:53 pm 

Chus wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Jurko told Mac that they were told by the mother nipple, to not criticize the World Baseball Classic.

If that is done for sports then we should all be wary of all the media we consume.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Mac said that he has never been censored by Mitch, or anybody else from WSCR.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:56 pm 

Chus wrote:
Mac said that he has never been censored by Mitch, or anybody else from WSCR.

In general probably but you know there are no nos for sponsors and so on.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:01 am 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I wonder if Mitch is worried now? I guess this board can tell you a lot about what the ratings are going to look like. The decline in B&b threads was definitely a harbinger. They probably should ramp up the Penn State talk. WSCR getting killed on the two most important shifts.

Bernstein is taking that show in a bad direction with his liberal social agenda that comes out frequently. I know way too much about his political views, which was the same problem with Mike North, but it's arguably worse with Bernstein because he uses his show to call anyone who has a different view as him as a bigot/racist/homophobe, etc. Most days now, I expect him to use a story that has a sports angle (Sam/Collins as a recent example) for his own purposes of advancing his social views, which usually resorts in plenty of name calling and hate radio. It's hard to hear a similar show like this way too often, and he goes unchallenged by his partner, who checked out and now is Bernstein's puppet.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:51 am 

BD wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I wonder if Mitch is worried now? I guess this board can tell you a lot about what the ratings are going to look like. The decline in B&b threads was definitely a harbinger. They probably should ramp up the Penn State talk. WSCR getting killed on the two most important shifts.

Bernstein is taking that show in a bad direction with his liberal social agenda that comes out frequently. I know way too much about his political views, which was the same problem with Mike North, but it's arguably worse with Bernstein because he uses his show to call anyone who has a different view as him as a bigot/racist/homophobe, etc. Most days now, I expect him to use a story that has a sports angle (Sam/Collins as a recent example) for his own purposes of advancing his social views, which usually resorts in plenty of name calling and hate radio. It's hard to hear a similar show like this way too often, and he goes unchallenged by his partner, who checked out and now is Bernstein's puppet.

You speak like this "New Direction!Smart Station!" direction is some new occurrence.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:01 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
BD wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Before discovering this message board, my guess would have been that the average listener to sports radio in Chicago had political/social views more in line with North than with bernstein. But I think you have enough of a sample of hardcore listeners here to suggest otherwise. So I don't think it's bernstein's views that are so polarizing. We can joke about it, but in most cases li'l danny is on the right side of history. It's his style that's so grating, not necessarily his opinions. He's just a disagreeable prick.

I admit I'm a hate listener. I hated North and that's why I listened to him. And I hate bernstein and that's why I listen to him. But North would often try to find common ground with his audience. Sure, he's a fucking dumbass, but most of the time he argued because he actually believed in his stupid viewpoint. bernstein often argues just because he's argumentative. We've all heard guys call in to lick his ass and heard him find a way to argue with them even as they are bending over backward to agree with him and endorse his opinion.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:05 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
BD wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Before discovering this message board, my guess would have been that the average listener to sports radio in Chicago had political/social views more in line with North than with bernstein. But I think you have enough of a sample of hardcore listeners here to suggest otherwise. So I don't think it's bernstein's views that are so polarizing. We can joke about it, but in most cases li'l danny is on the right side of history. It's his style that's so grating, not necessarily his opinions. He's just a disagreeable prick.

I admit I'm a hate listener. I hated North and that's why I listened to him. And I hate bernstein and that's why I listen to him. But North would often try to find common ground with his audience. Sure, he's a fucking dumbass, but most of the time he argued because he actually believed in his stupid viewpoint. bernstein often argues just because he's argumentative. We've all heard guys call in to lick his ass and heard him find a way to argue with them even as they are bending over backward to agree with him and endorse his opinion.

His racism and pro-eugenics stances are definitely not on the right side of history.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:18 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
SomeGuy wrote:
His racism and pro-eugenics stances are definitely not on the right side of history.

True, but I don't think he believes he's promoting those stances. They just come right out of him.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:38 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
BD wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Yep. I usually agree with his viewpoint, and he is typically correct. He just takes such an extreme stance and is so ridiculously hateful toward anyone with a different take (not necessarily even a different opinion), that I hate him... probably even more than people who I disagree with on everything. It's definitely his style that is so aggravating.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:16 am 

I don't even care about extreme stances. The problem I have is that he thinks he is an iconoclast. He spent years developing that on air persona. I think he still views himself as that iconoclast because his stances are not populist. However, that is not what defines an iconoclast. He is more of an icon builder with his unbending support of the management/ownership class and reliance on metrics he does not understand.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:44 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
good dolphin wrote:
I don't even care about extreme stances. The problem I have is that he thinks he is an iconoclast. He spent years developing that on air persona. I think he still views himself as that iconoclast because his stances are not populist. However, that is not what defines an iconoclast. He is more of an icon builder with his unbending support of the management/ownership class and reliance on metrics he does not understand.

I could see him thinking he's an iconoclast, if it's not in the sense of religion. He takes jabs at religion, but it's certainly not his cause. He probably sees himself as an iconoclast in the sense that he challenges sports sayings, beliefs, and traditions as nonsense. I really have no problem with that, and a lot of times, I agree with him. But you are correct in regards to the support of management and ownership. He is so sheltered that, even though he thinks he is challenging the status quo, he is more status quo than most people I can think of. He believes in social classes, smart Jewish professionals, and other traditional nonsense. It is very inconsistent with his belief that he challenges the status quo in sports.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next