It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jason Goff back
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
He's back in town next week, per his frequent updates on social media. He will not verify that he is going to be coming back to any particular station (or that he is working in sports radio at all) but he will be back in the flesh at least. I'm sure one of you has inside info.

Post subject: Re: Jason Goff back
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:56 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:02 pm 
1000 CLUB

Goffer might be flying back into town to try to grab Mac's gig. Maybe he's gonna put on his best suit, request a meeting with Mitch, and straight out ask for it.

But I think Goff being fired by CBS a couple of months ago means Mitch can't even if he wanted to.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
I'm surprised that, with all his insider knowledge, he hasn't landed a beat writer gig.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Jason always felt more like he was on loan to Atlanta than gone for good, the way he would always call in to offer analysis or just to say hello to Dan and Terry. It was almost like the guy who graduated from high school but kept hanging around campus. Jason can be very good (but he can also be very bad), and excels at, as sinicalypse famously pointed out, being all things to all people. He deserves a shot at middays if he wants it, but again, gotta cut down on the bad days.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
To me this was a classic case of putting the cart before the horse. You never go full Bernstein without building up a base, both at the station and through listeners.. The only reason Bernstein doesn't get canned for the stuff he says is because he's built up some clout. Goff never did that and consequently it was rather easy for ATL to wash their hands of him.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:44 pm 

Yeah, Jason didn't really know his audience as well as he should have if he was really going full Bernstein. We get tired of Dan telling us that he's going to make us into better fans and make us respect our social betters, and he's a guy most of us actually liked a lot once. You can't come out of the gate like that.

More than anything, though, I think his dismissal was simply a matter of the station being a huge disappointment across the board and everyone else's heads being too expensive to roll, so they had to make an example out of him.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Curious Hair wrote:
You can't come out of the gate like that.

Exactly

Curious Hair wrote:

More than anything, though, I think his dismissal was simply a matter of the station being a huge disappointment across the board and everyone else's heads being too expensive to roll, so they had to make an example out of him.

That sucks for him if that's how it went down. Do you or anyone else then think the salsa thing was just misdirection?

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

veganfan21 wrote:
To me this was a classic case of putting the cart before the horse. You never go full Bernstein without building up a base, both at the station and through listeners.. The only reason Bernstein doesn't get canned for the stuff he says is because he's built up some clout. Goff never did that and consequently it was rather easy for ATL to wash their hands of him.

I'm pretty sure this was the exact advice I gave Goff when he left. Pretty sure I specifically said not to go "FULL BERNSTEIN" for the exact reasons you just mentioned. I also knew he wouldn't take my advice.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:55 pm 

Oh, I'm sure it was misdirection.

The one thing I find interesting is that people seem to think he won't get hired in Chicago due to the way he flamed out in Atlanta. Guys get fired and re-hired within the same giant media corporations all the time. Maybe it could be that management here stuck their necks out a little too far with regard to selling Jason as a guy who could help launch this big major-market station. I don't know.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
veganfan21 wrote:

Yep. At the Score he had full BernSTINE protection and modeled himself after Lil Danny...but when he mocked Mac one too many times he got cast out. He went to Atlanta and instead of developing his own persona and style he simply kicked the door in and BernSTINED Atlanta. That also got him fired.

Beardown is batting 1.000 on the Goff stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:10 pm 
1000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:
Oh, I'm sure it was misdirection.

The one thing I find interesting is that people seem to think he won't get hired in Chicago due to the way he flamed out in Atlanta. Guys get fired and re-hired within the same giant media corporations all the time. Maybe it could be that management here stuck their necks out a little too far with regard to selling Jason as a guy who could help launch this big major-market station. I don't know.

I'm sure it's happened before. Just don't think it would happen this quick. I think at least a couple years would have to pass and Jason would have to go to some other company and prove that he has the ability to not get fired.

Mitch and Zim need to watch their back. You gotta consider that also. Let's just say Jason says something stupid on the air. I mean something that gets them in trouble with the FCC. Not out of the question. Jason certainly has the ability to do something that stupid.

So now the NY bosses say to Zim and Mitch, "We fired this one in Atlanta, you hire him back in 4 months and now we've got to deal with this?" Then it's Mitch's or Zim's ass. They don't need to take that risk. For what? The Score is billing 30 million. Goff really gonna up that? No.

Usually when a radio company hires somebody back that they once fired, that person has proven to be successful at radio. Goff did not do that in Atlanta.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
jimmypasta wrote:

+1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
Was Jason Goff fired from The Score or did he leave for Atlanta willingly?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:26 pm 

Godfella wrote:

He left willingly to be a firefighter. He was fired from being a firefighter and then went to Atlanta to get back into the sports radio game

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:31 pm 
1000 CLUB

Godfella wrote:

He left willingly but there was speculation that he was kind of encouraged to leave because of the weird/mean "Da Ma Na WAR" that Goff started with Dan McNeil. That war was getting very intense if you remember. McNeil, himself, actually fired Goff from subbing on his show a few months before Goff left for Atlanta because of the said "Da Ma Na WAR"

Godfella: Where did that speculation come from?

Beardown: Me.

Last edited by Beardown on Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:39 pm 

Beardown wrote:
Let's just say Jason says something stupid on the air. I mean something that gets them in trouble with the FCC.

Jason can say plenty of stupid things, but nothing that would run afoul of the FCC. I believe Dan has said that the principal host, producer, and Mitch all have access to the dump button. Besides, he's been in radio his entire professional life. He knows what not to say.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:41 pm 
1000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:
Besides, he's been in radio his entire professional life. He knows what not to say.

Atlanta Program Director: I beg to differ.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Beardown wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Besides, he's been in radio his entire professional life. He knows what not to say.

Atlanta Program Director: I beg to differ.

Danny Mac would also beg to differ.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:57 pm 
1000 CLUB

But let's just say everything is equal in Mitch's mind. I still think, if Mac doesn't return, Mitch picks Rozner over Goff for the reasons I gave in the Danny Mac section.

It's funny cuz if Goff would have stayed at the Score, I think it would have been Goff replacing Mac.

But Rozner's stock at the station has risen, Goff has been fired by a CBS station.

That being said, Goff still made the right move by going to Atlanta. Hell, he didn't plan on getting fired. And when he left he didn't realize Larry would have an internet gig leaving him OUT to replace Mac. Cuz Goff figured Larry was next in line over him. Nor did Goff know that Mac was gonna go into rehab and his spot might be open in June of 2014.

Hell, they always say it's all about timing.

Radio is weird. Especially at THE SCORE.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:23 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Can't wait to hear more "you're the same guy...." discussions after people are disconnected.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:25 pm 
1000 CLUB

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Can't wait to hear more "you're the same guy...." discussions after people are disconnected.

What does this mean?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:26 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Beardown wrote:

What does this mean?

You're the same guy that was sad the Cold War ended.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:28 pm 
1000 CLUB

Beardown wrote:

What does this mean?

You're the same guy that was sad the Cold War ended.

:?

Are you drunk?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:30 pm 

You're the same guy that was a Ringo guy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:33 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
You're the same guy that talked about Brandon Paul when Illinois did have some hope, so who you crappin?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:41 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Beardown wrote:
Goffer might be flying back into town to try to grab Mac's gig. Maybe he's gonna put on his best suit, request a meeting with Mitch, and straight out ask for it.

But I think Goff being fired by CBS a couple of months ago means Mitch can't even if he wanted to.

he was fired? was this ever officially said anywhere, or is this some patented BEARDOWN ANALYSIS(TM) ???

I mean it's fairly obvious that things likely weren't going as well as they could be going (what with the GOFF+MAC show eventually becoming THE JASON GOLF SHOW and then finally becoming THE SOMEBODY ELSE SHOW, if not outright nationally syndicated programming) so at the very least he was let go, or was told that the station would prefer to not continue on with the jason goff show... but FIRED outright? like jason done goof'd by ordering the chinese food or whatever we speculated the impetus/reasoning could be.... and then outright getting axed by the station? did we ever confirm that?

but yeah TL;DR = was it ever made official that goff was technically FIRED, as in he was forcefully removed from his gig because of some actions that were a fireable offense.... or was it that he was just let go because his ratings sucked because much like marty mcfly playing johnny b goode at the enchantment under the sea dance: hottlanta wasn't ready for white history month.... but their kids will love it.

and one more time since i just love repeating myself.... was it ever confirmed by anyone beyond expert speculation that goff was fired?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:19 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Curious Hair wrote:
Jason always felt more like he was on loan to Atlanta than gone for good, the way he would always call in to offer analysis or just to say hello to Dan and Terry. It was almost like the guy who graduated from high school but kept hanging around campus. Jason can be very good (but he can also be very bad), and excels at, as sinicalypse famously pointed out, being all things to all people. He deserves a shot at middays if he wants it, but again, gotta cut down on the bad days.

i've also not-so-famously said time and time again that the goff solo shows are way too often done like they're constructed off of a template that you read in "SPORTS TALK RADIO SHOW HOSTING FOR DUMMIES." his shows are very very vanilla, if you will. he has no natural structure style or flow about it... you get the impression that he's sitting there thinking "ok so this is what i'm supposed to do" when he realizes "oh hey wait a minute... i'm black and it's christmas time so i gotta do that annual thing where i play christmas in hollis as i decry that there's never any christmas music "for us" during the season and i have to lock down the black demographic by pandering to them because that's what it says to do right here on page 23 of SPORTS TALK RADIO SHOW FOR DUMMIES.

once jason can get past the metaphorical "christmas in hollis" crap and, as i've also not-as-famously-been-saying-since-day-one, REALIZE THAT THE TREACHEROUS THREE'S SANTA'S RAP IS A WAY BETTER RAP CHRISTMAS SONG, i don't think he'll ever really be that good. you play christmas in hollis because everyone knows it and it's what's expected of you.... you play the treacherous three because it's simply the better damn song. that said, when jason stops doing what he thinks is expected of him (his, and many other people in the industry's blackness is kind of like the I'M GAY song in the kids in the hall movie... of note is the last group line of the song or i guess that one song from CB4 now that i think about it) he will improve cuz i don't think he's necessarily a dummy or anything (nor is he a genius at the same time) and i think he's had a good run with some good experience and if he kicks back relaxes and straps it on (teh balls moreso than the shaft).... well maybe just maybe you'll have something. maybe you'll have the guy that damaneel famously called the #1 sports talk show host in chicago in 2020.

but until then, welp, we'll be subjected to visionary ideas like WHITE HISTORY MONTH.... and that worked out real well down there in HOTTlanta. cuz you know, it really didn't help jason that the b&b show elevated him to ULTRABLACK! status (think of raymont's positional versatility, except that jason was paragon to all things cultural and racial in the here and now) because dan/terry/matt are all married/family men who don't get out much, if at all, and then jason was the lady/'s man on the prowl with his fingers on the pulse of the streets/youth/culture at every juncture. they really hyped him up to be mr. suave/cool/sophisticated/etc and welp.... then when you heard him do his thing it's just kind of like, wow this guy is really really really trying really really really hard to do a boring-ass radio show like any one of 500 disposable nationally syndicated sports radio shows out there.

it almost makes you wonder if damaneel was speaking in jest when he predicted that goff would be the #1 chicago sports talk host of 2020, eh? =D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:52 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Q.Bovifs wrote:
I'd rather have Mike North back than Goff.

That is because you are an idiot...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:55 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Krazy Ivan wrote:
Q.Bovifs wrote:
I'd rather have Mike North back than Goff.

That is because you are an idiot...

DAMN.