It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 668 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
shakes wrote:
redskingreg wrote:
shakes wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Lost Marsh is a really nice course.

Definitely. Was even nicer last year when it was $40. They raised the rates to around $50, but its still a great course at that price. My only complaint is I wish they made the greens a little faster.

Have you played Makray? I played there for the first time last Friday. Holy hell, fastest greens I've ever played by miles.

Played it once last year, really nice course if you can get it a little cheaper than normal rate. First hole is easy, but #2-4 are ridiculous. If you combined the greens on 3 and 4 you might have one normal sized green.

We played for $0. My buddy works there. Only problem is you have to play early weekdays, which is extremely tough with my job.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Had a tee time for 6:15 tomorrow but the two guys I was going to play with backed out and I had to cancel the
tee time. I am still showing up and will get out either on my own or with another group. Have a 6:15 on Sunday
as well with the same two guys so I hope they show.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:03 pm 

Played toughest course in my rotation today. They had tees set well back and over 7000 yards easy. One par
three was 230 and another was 250. Managed to shoot 40-35 with three 3 putts. Hit 14 greens but 34 putts was
not the best. Glad to finish up -1 on the back and didn't have any bad blow up holes.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:05 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Damn T-bone. That's a hell of a score. 250 par 3 is ridiculous.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:14 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
Damn T-bone. That's a hell of a score. 250 par 3 is ridiculous.

My GPS hand held had it 267 to the pin. I smoked a 3 wood 240 and 3 putted from 60 ft.

I was thankful they didn't have the tees at the farthest which was 30 yds back :shock: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:15 am 

Played yesterday and hit the ball much worse than Saturday. Hit a lot of thin irons and the ball
ballooned out to the right on a number of shots. My putting was really bad and I don't even think
I was close to making anything. I missed a 4 footer for birdie on the first hole and had a bad feeling
after that. I had one iron from 130 yards that I hit to a foot but other than that there wasn't much
to be thrilled about. Finished with an 83. I was in 7 greenside bunkers which is more than I have
ever been in and never managed to get up and down once.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Great weekend of golf, finally starting to break out of my 2-3 week slump. Shot a 88 Friday at George Dunne. Shot a 88 Saturday at Highlands of Elgin. Still mad about that one cause I played much better than the score, but a few bad swings cost me several strokes. On #18 I was 140 yards out in the middle of the fairway in 1 and ended up with a quad bogey 8. Just an awful finish to a great day.

Then yesterday I shot a 81 at Countryside. Missed a 4 foot par putt on 18 that would've given me my low round of the season.

Almost done with July and its time to start looking at the season vs last season.

2013:
Rounds in the 100s = 0
Rounds in the 90s = 14
Rounds between 85-89 = 28
Rounds between 80-84 = 9
Rounds in the 70s = 1

2014 so far:
Rounds in the 100s = 3
Rounds in the 90s = 12
Rounds between 85-89 = 20
Rounds between 81-84 = 8
Rounds lower than 81 = 0

So looking at the numbers the season still has a couple months left and I already have more bad rounds (90+) than I did all of last year. A lot of that can be contributed to my back which was really bad till I had two cycles of oral steroids back in late May. But, other than the back I have had some struggles at times this year. On the flipside, I am only a couple good rounds away from equaling the high points of last season. Last year I had one 77 (on a real easy course) and 2 rounds of 80. This year I haven't broken 80 yet, but I do have 5 rounds of 81 (4 of them at tough courses).

I would grade the first half of my season at a solid C+. Way too inconsistent with scores ranging from 81 to 107. Happy with some of the good play, but I was hoping to break 80 more than once this year and so far that hasn't happened even one time. Handicap goal was to be in single digits and I'm working my way there, down to a 10.3 as of latest adjustment. Final grade could still be an A if I get rid of the inconsistency and stay in the low to mid 80s the rest of the season.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:00 pm 

Good idea to look at stats half way through. Interestingly enough I have exactly the same number of rounds in
at this point as I had all of last year. I keep alot of stats but just looking at the main ones I don't appear to have
improved a whole lot

23 rounds in 2013 ( 12 in the 70s and 11 in the 80s ) High score of 86 and low of 73
5.86 fairways a round, 9 greens a round and 33.3 putts per round. Stroke average was 79.3

23 rounds in 2014 (1 in the 60s, 10 in the 70s and 12 in the 80s ) High score of 86 and low of 68
5.78 fairways a round, 9.8 greens a round and 34.2 putts per round. Stroke average is 79.

Frustrating to see that I really haven't improved on much this season. Maybe hitting one more green
per round but making one more putt during that same round. I have various other scrambling and sand
save stats but won't bother adding those up. I know I need to improve both. I'm hoping to get in at least
another 23 rounds yet this season so I'd like to get up to 7 fairways a round or roughly half. I'd like to push
the greens in regulation average up in to the double digits and lower the putts to under 33 a round for the
second half. We will see if I can make it happen. I think I need to practice a littlle bit more when not playing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
116 at St. Andrews. From the tips. USGA rules. Straight up dog.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:40 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
DannyB wrote:

Which course?

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:12 am 

DannyB wrote:

What made you play from the tips?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:23 am 

T-Bone wrote:
DannyB wrote:

idiocy.

That's one of the big problems with pace of play, people playing from tees they shouldn't be. I'm a huge proponent of the "tee it forward" movement. St. Andrews is either 6800 or 6900 from the tip depending on which course he played. There's no reason a person capable of shooting a 116 from the tips should ever be playing from that tee box. I'm a 10.3 index and I wouldn't play from the tips out there. 6400 is the next tee box and that is plenty of length for a high handicapper and even a mid capper like myself who isn't a long hitter.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:54 am 

shakes wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
DannyB wrote:

idiocy.

That's one of the big problems with pace of play, people playing from tees they shouldn't be. I'm a huge proponent of the "tee it forward" movement. St. Andrews is either 6800 or 6900 from the tip depending on which course he played. There's no reason a person capable of shooting a 116 from the tips should ever be playing from that tee box. I'm a 10.3 index and I wouldn't play from the tips out there. 6400 is the next tee box and that is plenty of length for a high handicapper and even a mid capper like myself who isn't a long hitter.

I actually agree with that --one of the guys we play with is a huge hitter so that's what we do. There was nobody in front of or behind us though, so it didn't matter. We finished in like 3:45 or so this time but there have been some bad experiences. I think it's about 6950 from the tips.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:00 am 

Playing a course I've never been to tomorrow. Anyone ever play Prairie Isle out near Crystal Lake?
I hear it is pretty decent and has some interesting holes.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:33 pm 

Thought I was out of the slump and then I was once again hooking all my irons at the work comp lawyers golf outing yesterday. Did well from the tee though so at least its only 1 problem I'm battling now instead of everything.

Played for free at Deerfield this morning, my childhood course and home to my only hole in 1. Started out fighting the hooks again, but wasn't playing terrible. Mis fired 3 wedges on the front and put them over the green (2 of them OB). Ended up with a 47 on the front despite swinging the club a lot better than the score. Started scoring on the back and was 3 over on the back and looking at a 8 foot birdie putt on 18 and put it 6 feet past the cup...missed it on the way back so had a bogey to finish with a 40 on teh back and a 87 overall.

Great back nine, but all I keep thinking about is the horrible front nine and the awful birdie putt on 18.

Outing at Steeple Chase tomorrow for my Skokie hockey team, should be fun...not expecting good golf to be played.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:05 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
86 at Coyote Run on Saturday, which I am actually incredibly disappointed about.

Why? Because I had 41 on the front 9, with a snowman on #9. On the day I hit 10 greens in reg, had 8 pars, and a birdie; -1 on those 9 holes. The other 9 holes? +16, including the aforementioned bastard of a snowman and a 7 on #16 par 3. Two 3 putt bogeys on the front 9 as well.

Stupid game.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:54 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
99 today.

My putting was absolutely horrific.

I hit 4 GIR's and 3 jacked every fucking one of them. Not one par today.

I can usually shoot in the mid to high 80's but that has completely left me this year.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:44 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
49 on only nine today tough course but dodging t-storms all day. Felt good and short game getting better. Drove a par 4. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:39 am 

Played Prairie Isle on Saturday just outside of Crystal Lake. Pretty nice track and they keep it in really nice
shape. Something strange about the greens I couldn't put my finger on they had a different kind of grass and
were slower than they looked. I also couldn't spin the ball out of the fairway at all which was pretty strange.
Course only plays 6600 from the tips and they didn't have many of the tees all the way back. Playing 500
less yards than I am used to was actually a nice break. I hit the ball very solid all around and despite two
three putts, a ball in the water and a lost ball I shot a 74. Hit 14 greens which was very solid and made all
my 3-4 footers but still had 34 total putts.

Yesterday I took the girlfriend out to play her first 9 holes of golf. I was really concerned that she was going
to lag behind and complain and get frustrtated. Her efforts on the range had been very hit or miss. She doesn't
really know what she is doing yet so her drives go about 125 when hit well, hits a 5 hybrid close to 100 if
struck well and then has a 7, 9 and PW. After a slow start she got the hang of it. We walked and finished 9 in
2 hours and didn't hold up the group behind us at all so I was pretty impressed. Didn't bother keeping score for
her but it would have been over 100. I'll continue to take her to the range to practice.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:50 am 

Been playing with mine all summer T-Bone. Granted she is better than I am but it sure is fun and different vibe to play with GF rather than guys.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:27 am 

pittmike wrote:
Been playing with mine all summer T-Bone. Granted she is better than I am but it sure is fun and different vibe to play with GF rather than guys.

Yeah it was weird. She felt nervous and weird about it because she was the only woman on the course. I thought
she did well. My ex-wife was a very good athlete and had a lot of potential to be good but had the worst attitude
ever and I dreaded playing golf with her. She made it a miserable experience. I am hoping this is much more
enjoyable and something maybe we can do together once in a while.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:29 am 

Feed it. Trust me golf trips are more fun lol. I joke with mine about being the only one on the course. I say sure they are all checking you out but because you are a beauty or something.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:48 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Played Whittaker Woods in New Buffalo over the weekend. That course is such a hidden gem. Really tight on the front nine and just a nice setup overall. Shot an 86 and had a 2 for 1 pass from the Rosemont golf show. Glorious.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:17 am 

5 year old son shot somewhere between 100-150 at Ken Loch Golf Links on Friday. $13, all you can golf, and that's negotiable. Cash Only.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:32 am 

pittmike wrote:

If they were to play head to head, how many strokes would the gf have give the wife?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:58 pm 

After the 10th hole on Sunday, Jason Dufner gave his putter to a kid in the crowd. He putted with his 3 wood for the last eight holes.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/golf/eye-on-g ... e?v=1&vc=1

<º)))><

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:21 am 

Chus wrote:
After the 10th hole on Sunday, Jason Dufner gave his putter to a kid in the crowd. He putted with his 3 wood for the last eight holes.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/golf/eye-on-g ... e?v=1&vc=1

Good to know since he was on my fantasy team. What a douche.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:20 pm 

Got a big weekend coming up. Heading to South Bend tomorrow night, meeting 3 of my Jewlympics teammates there, gonna play some hockey. Friday morning we have a round at the South Bend CC, then we are driving to Island Hills GOlf Resort in Michigan, check in to our villa and play 18. 36 on Saturday and then 18 on Sunday. In between gonna do some grilling and relaxing. Gonna be a great weekend.

Of course my back is starting to hurt again, but hopefully it holds up all weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:32 pm 

shakes wrote:
Got a big weekend coming up. Heading to South Bend tomorrow night, meeting 3 of my Jewlympics teammates there, gonna play some hockey. Friday morning we have a round at the South Bend CC, then we are driving to Island Hills GOlf Resort in Michigan, check in to our villa and play 18. 36 on Saturday and then 18 on Sunday. In between gonna do some grilling and relaxing. Gonna be a great weekend.

Of course my back is starting to hurt again, but hopefully it holds up all weekend.

72 holes in 3 days? I am playing 18 on Monday and 18 on Tuesday, and I am worried about my back.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:45 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Setting my alarm for 4:30am tomorrow to play River Oaks at 5:15am by myself. Its a dogtrack, but for $15 I'd pay just as much to do 9 holes. Might not do all 18, but have to be out early tomorrow, family party in afternoon. Hoping for (mostly) bogey golf with a few pars sprinkled in.

Anyone care to join? :lol:
Doing this again tomorrow. 5:45am, $24.99
Last time I did this, I was the second cart out there (twosome let me play thru on the 2nd hole), and the greens were freshly cut and rolled. Other than few ball marks that weren't fixed, best greens I ever putted on.

Dogtrack of a course, but worth the low price. Anyone else want to play? :lol:

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 668 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 23  Next