It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/co ... 428.column

Ed Sherman
On media
5:45 p.m. CDT, July 31, 2014

Dan McNeil has been on the radio host sidelines since the end of June and might remain there for a long time.

That's OK with him.

He says the time off would allow him to work on his short game in golf, and more importantly, pursue writing a book about his son Patrick's struggle with autism.

"I've been thinking about this for five years," McNeil said Thursday. "I want to write about how autism has affected the journey through life for a family in Northwest Indiana. I'd like to leave a greater footprint in my career than just talking about point spreads and pucks."

McNeil should get a definitive answer on whether he can start writing in the next couple of weeks. He has been off the air as co-host of WSCR-AM 670's midday show with Matt Spiegel since the end of June when his contract expired. Negotiations are at impasse with McNeil seeking a substantial raise over a reported salary in the $275,000 range.

McNeil said he wants to remain with the station. But this could be the end of that road for him.

"Everything has been amicable," McNeil said. "It just has taken a bit longer than either side would want it to."

WSCR officials declined to comment on the situation.

McNeil said it was his desire to be out for most of July for family trips while he was in between contracts. However, he regrets he didn't inform listeners of his plans.

"In retrospect, it could have been handled better," McNeil said. "I apologize to my many loyal fans who were left in the dark."

This hardly marks the first time McNeil has been gone for long periods. During his career as a host at WSCR and WMVP-AM 1000, he was suspended for various transgressions. More recently at WSCR, he had two extended breaks while dealing with depression and substance abuse issues.

McNeil said he always will be "grateful" for WSCR's patience during the tough times. However, he carefully chose his words when asked if the station deserved a "home-team discount" for sticking with him.

"Yes, they were loyal to me," McNeil said. "They were rewarded for their loyalty by me continuing to provide big ratings."

Indeed, while he can give headaches to his bosses, McNeil's mix of sports talk and pop culture always has produced listeners, especially in the coveted age 25-54 male demographic.

"As blemished as the 'Macker' can be, he brings in large quantities of male ears," he said.

WSCR, though, could be already looking at alternatives if it can't reach a deal with McNeil. Former Bears Jim Miller and Pat Mannelly did well in fill-in roles with Spiegel. Nothing moves the needle in this town more than the Bears, especially with the football season just around the corner.

McNeil also might have limited options when it comes to sports talk locally. It is highly unlikely he will return for a second spin at WMVP; ESPN reportedly is weary of the baggage that comes with McNeil.

There will be interest from "The Game" on 87.7 FM. McNeil covets a return to afternoon drive. However, his current price-tag probably is too high for the new sports station.

McNeil, though, is optimistic. Noting his love of music and pop culture, he even remains open to do something away from sports.

"I will work somewhere," he said.

If anything, McNeil said he is enjoying the uncertainty of what's going to happen next.

"While some people might find it unnerving, for me, this is very exhilarating," McNeil said. "I enjoy life on the precipice. It keeps me from getting bored."

In the stands: In an attempt to liven up a dog-days of an August White Sox-Texas game, Ken Harrelson and Steve Stone will broadcast Chris Sale's start Wednesday from the "K Zone" at U.S. Cellular Field on CSN.

The K Zone comprises sections 154 and 155 down the left field line. On the days Sale starts, fans are given special T-shirts and strikeout placards.

To the booth: It appears as if the post-football career has begun for Brady Quinn. Thursday, it was announced the former Notre Dame quarterback will be a college and NFL studio and game analyst for Fox Sports. Quinn will work college games with Tim Brando and pro games with Dick Stockton.

Remote patrol: NBCSN says its average daily audience at 148,000 viewers is up 80 percent from a year ago. Huge numbers for Blackhawks playoffs games on the network definitely contributed. … The debut of the 2014 edition of "Hard Knocks" featuring the Atlanta Falcons is Tuesday at 9 p.m. on HBO. … More than 500,000 viewers tuned in for the Hall of Fame ceremonies on MLB Network Sunday. … Fox Sports has added Brad Faxon to its golf coverage team. Fox will air next year's U.S. Open.

Special contributor Ed Sherman writes at shermanreport.com. Follow him @Sherman_Report

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
In an attempt to liven up a dog-days of an August White Sox-Texas game, Ken Harrelson and Steve Stone will broadcast Chris Sale's start Wednesday from the "K Zone" at U.S. Cellular Field on CSN.

Hawk could croak!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:34 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
With Meat saying cracks today and changing things around and now this.... The negotiations are going to get a little dingy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
pittmike wrote:
With Meat saying cracks today and changing things around and now this.... The negotiations are going to get a little dingy.

Yeah....Meat sounds a little annoyed and/or humored at what's going on. I wish Mac would get his ass back on the air AND get to write his book. But if he has the cash and would rather write the book....more power to him.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:43 pm 
1000 CLUB

spmack wrote:
WSCR, though, could be already looking at alternatives if it can't reach a deal with McNeil. Former Bears Jim Miller and Pat Mannelly did well in fill-in roles with Spiegel. Nothing moves the needle in this town more than the Bears, especially with the football season just around the corner.

I wonder if Sherman has info that the Score would replace Mac with Manley or Miller or if it was just speculation on Sherman's part. Grote, Rozner, Larry and drinky must love reading that. :lol:

Grote: :evil:

drinky: :evil:

Larry: :evil:

Rozner: :evil:

Did Miller and Manley really do well as Sherman suggested? I kind of doubt it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:58 pm 
1000 CLUB

I often wonder why the "money gap" takes so long to resolve. It's got to be weird.

Mac's agent: 500k

Zimmerman: No. He gets the same 275k

Mac's agent: 500k!!!!!

Zim: No!!!! 275k

Mac's agent: Good luck with fuckin' Jim Miller. Remember Dan Hampton? (Click)

Zim: :shock: (Calls him back.) Ok. 300k.

Mac's agent: We'll talk more tomorrow. But I want you to listen to drinky co hosting before we talk. :lol: (Click)

Zim: Fuckin' Mitch. Gives me a god damn bench of dumb asses. Most of them don't have the ability to speak. Leaves me no leverage. Bitch!!!!! FUCK. Les shit on this fuckin' chair again. I have fuckin' weirdos and retards working for me. I hate radio!!!!! Mitch, get me a towel and take my pants to the dry cleaners!!!!

Mitch: Yes, sir. Right away, sir.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:26 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Told ya, he's gone. The Score is tired of paying guys like Boers 500k and then watching them sleep on air. It's over guys

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:31 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Playing the "I'm gonna write a book" card seems a little weak from a bargaining standpoint.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:35 pm 
1000 CLUB

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Playing the "I'm gonna write a book" card seems a little weak from a bargaining standpoint.

I thought so too. It's not like the book can't be written while working at the Score. He's off at 1:20 every day. I think Mac didn't know what to say for leverage. So he came up with that. It's not like he was gonna say "I'll just fish and gamble if I don't work at the Score." That would have sounded weaker.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:36 pm 
1000 CLUB

This column is truly funny. I guess the phone lines aren't burning up with offers to overpay a lazy addict.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:53 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Score is doomed wrote:
This column is truly funny. I guess the phone lines aren't burning up with offers to overpay a lazy addict.

I can vouch for that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:56 pm 
1000 CLUB

It's been a long and confusing Chicago sports news day.

I'm gonna summarize it. Correct me if I got anything wrong.

Dan McNeil wants a new beginning at the Score. He didn't realize there was tension from people in his camp and Score management. He didn't realize that B.J Armstrong wanted to be GM at the Score and hates Mitch Rosen because he got the job. Mac is also gonna tell his dumb ass brother, Reggie, to stop talking on his behalf.

Meanwhile, Derrick Rose caught a trophy musky while fishing in Canada and is gonna write a book if he doesn't resign with the Bulls. Former Bears QB, Jim Miller, would replace Rose as Bulls point guard.

Did I get it right?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:35 pm 
1000 CLUB

Mac was able to bang out this book while still doing a radio.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:45 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
The one guy who brings the ratings and they are paying him 275 a year? I'd say he's due for a raise but I'm sure CBS will look at the Game and ESPN and figure they can just roll the ball out and recreate and still win in the ratings. Unless it's the afternoon show.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:14 pm 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
Beardown wrote:
It's been a long and confusing Chicago sports news day.

I'm gonna summarize it. Correct me if I got anything wrong.

Dan McNeil wants a new beginning at the Score. He didn't realize there was tension from people in his camp and Score management. He didn't realize that B.J Armstrong wanted to be GM at the Score and hates Mitch Rosen because he got the job. Mac is also gonna tell his dumb ass brother, Reggie, to stop talking on his behalf.

Meanwhile, Derrick Rose caught a trophy musky while fishing in Canada and is gonna write a book if he doesn't resign with the Bulls. Former Bears QB, Jim Miller, would replace Rose as Bulls point guard.

Did I get it right?

Spot on

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:20 pm 

If Mac was 275 and B&B had down numbers did the quiet recent Bernsie re up have a raise or a decrease?

It is possible he took the decrease and said nothing as he is smart. Every since Dahl and North made a million it has been going down and dying.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:21 pm 

CBS gives a flying fuck about Bernsie unless he has another connection. All radio salaries are shrinking.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:25 pm 

SomeGuy wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Yeah....Meat sounds a little annoyed and/or humored at what's going on. I wish Mac would get his ass back on the air AND get to write his book. But if he has the cash and would rather write the book....more power to him.

Best damn post from you in a while, well done!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Beardown wrote:
spmack wrote:

I wonder if Sherman has info that the Score would replace Mac with Manley or Miller or if it was just speculation on Sherman's part. Grote, Rozner, Larry and drinky must love reading that. :lol:

Grote: :evil:

drinky: :evil:

Larry: :evil:

Rozner: :evil:

Did Miller and Manley really do well as Sherman suggested? I kind of doubt it.

I really enjoy listening to Miller. I wish he would replace Bowen. Mannelly is awful.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Issue with Miller is he's great football listen. That puts round ball, baseball and pucks all on fat pants.....no thanks.

Fat pants is a sidekick who can't drive. None of the available candidates have personalies meshing or drive ability with fatty. He's just too high maintenance.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:53 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
Issue with Miller is he's great football listen. That puts round ball, baseball and pucks all on fat pants.....no thanks.

Fat pants is a sidekick who can't drive. None of the available candidates have personalies meshing or drive ability with fatty. He's just too high maintenance.

I didn't mean that I like Miller with meatpants. I like Miller. I cant stand Meatpants & I don't think anyone at The Score can either. He's a lousy host & a lousy sidekick.
Meat is the least valuable player at 670.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:55 pm 
1000 CLUB

If Manley or Miller get it and drinky is forced to go back as B&B's prodcuer....LOOK OUT.

We will see an all out attack by drinky on Miller or Manley the likes of which will make the "Terry vs. Murph" war seem tame!!!!!

It's one thing if drinky lost out to Rozner or Grote. He'd be pissed at those guys, too. But to lose out to a stupid former Bear that wasn't even good? I'm telling you. It would be a year long temper tantrum on Bernstein's show.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:27 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Since it's sounding more and more likely, radio in Chicago without Mac is disappointing. This stinks. Maybe he takes the lower offer at The Game in late fall or something.

Spiegel and Miller or Spiegel and Mannelly would tank, especially at The Score. I think listeners side more with "media people," so I'll say it's either Spiegel and Abbatacola, Spiegel and Grote, or Spiegel and Goff (the pairing that would maybe compare the most to Mac and Spiegs' ratings).

Here we go.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:33 am 

RadioNerd wrote:
Since it's sounding more and more likely, radio in Chicago without Mac is disappointing. This stinks. Maybe he takes the lower offer at The Game in late fall or something.

Spiegel and Miller or Spiegel and Mannelly would tank, especially at The Score. I think listeners side more with "media people," so I'll say it's either Spiegel and Abbatacola, Spiegel and Grote, or Spiegel and Goff (the pairing that would maybe compare the most to Mac and Spiegs' ratings).

Here we go.

Why does everyone assume that Meatpants is a lock to remain in the 9-1 timeslot? Zim & Mitch must know that no one listens to 670 because of Meatpants, right? I wouldn't mind having Berns with either Rozner or Rosey from 9-1 & Mac & Terry in afternoons.

Meatpants is in a very vulnerable position right now & I hope vulnerable wins.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:06 am 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
@MattSpiegel670: I'm always happier in the morning when I didn't spend any of my night responding to internet trolls.

@MattSpiegel670: I didn't respond last night is the point. And today, I feel great. I feel like $275,000 bucks.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:18 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Bucky Chris wrote:
@MattSpiegel670: I'm always happier in the morning when I didn't spend any of my night responding to internet trolls.

I don't like that the term "troll" has lost its meaning. Trolling is the act of posting shit solely in order to elicit a reaction. Saying a guy sucks isn't trolling. Especially when it's true.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:32 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Bucky Chris wrote:

I don't like that the term "troll" has lost its meaning. Trolling is the act of posting shit solely in order to elicit a reaction. Saying a guy sucks isn't trolling. Especially when it's true.

Nas wrote:
I agree completely with what Spiegs wrote and think he's an excellent host and singer

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:35 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Bucky Chris wrote:

Nas wrote:
I agree completely with what Spiegs wrote and think he's an excellent host and singer

:lol: :cry: :lol: :cry: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:41 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

dont think thats intended to be a leverage move.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:34 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Hard to squeeze in time to write a book around those four hour work days