It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:19 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
Douchebag wrote:

Holmes wandering around spring training with his press credential?

"I'm kind of a big deal"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:24 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Kirkwood wrote:
Murph's two hour dealio was my favorite show. Crisp, efficient and just enough Murph. He would've been great to listen to daily the past 3 years with all the Cubs crap. I enjoy his Saturday show with Fred a lot. In fact, they're much better than M&H and would smoke them if ESPN didn't have to carry awful Mike&Mike.

my favorite was listening to the simpleton try and break down managerial moves from the previous nights game..... murph did so with perfect meatball tone and execution..... don't forget when murph talked over john dejuan too, classic radio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:26 am 

One of things that Chet was good at was calling out no talent hacks like Laurence Holmes. He would have had a field day day with Mike Mulligan. His rants on Howard Sudberry and Side Garcia were classic. Harry would not have escaped his wrath either. I was in elementary school at the time but I remember a lot of that stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:30 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Things changed when Dan became the FOTS (Face of the Station). Terry used to bust his balls about it and Dan would be like "no no no" but you don't get anything like that now because we all know it's true. Around 2006 you still had Mike North there and he was "the guy" there, even tho they started to begin the process of getting rid of him soon thereafter ("hey Mike, have mornings... talk about whatever you want") but after he was gone the station needed an identity and it became Bernstein's brand, which was best suited to being the underdog or the change-up.

Back then when it was a mornings/midday show, it was like an oasis during a day that was otherwise comprised of "meatballism." Dan and Terry used to religiously call their show bad awful and gay, their faux/intelligentsia was welcomed because it was surrounded by an armada of self-deprecation and "...we know" type mentality.... and now it's not just balls to the wall "we're right and call up so we can tell you why you're wrong" but it's also that whatever self-deprecation is there is some token brand shit, the whole production irrevocably changed when it went from the change-up during the score's day of programming to the standard. Nobody used to talk about Bernstein clones back on 03-06 even tho they were out there on the weekends with the Me and Z show.

It's just one of those things that happens in show business... people start off doing awesome anti-establishment things but then they become the establishment and after awhile they're usually worse than the original establishment because you actually came up with these guys and got to see their downfall up close and personal, though of course mentioning any "downfall" is quickly met by something like "what do you do for a living???" from the show's baba-booey if you press on hard enough.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:42 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
sinicalypse wrote:
Things changed when Dan became the FOTS (Face of the Station). Terry used to bust his balls about it and Dan would be like "no no no" but you don't get anything like that now because we all know it's true. Around 2006 you still had Mike North there and he was "the guy" there, even tho they started to begin the process of getting rid of him soon thereafter ("hey Mike, have mornings... talk about whatever you want") but after he was gone the station needed an identity and it became Bernstein's brand, which was best suited to being the underdog or the change-up.
It's just one of those things that happens in show business... people start off doing awesome anti-establishment things but then they become the establishment and after awhile they're usually worse than the original establishment because you actually came up with these guys and got to see their downfall up close and personal, though of course mentioning any "downfall" is quickly met by something like "what do you do for a living???" from the show's baba-booey if you press on hard enough.

Well put, Sini.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:51 pm 
1000 CLUB

rogers park bryan wrote:
Coincidentally, Chet addressed this thread on saturday

Chet Coppock
August 2

Man, I miss the by gone days at the legendary "LOOP", the greatest radio station in Chicago history. Johnny B., Kev Head, Garry, myself, and of course, the Dahlster...the guy who opened the door for Howard Stern.

This is the most cogent, lucid thing Chet has said in years!

Let's do it for Johnny!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:03 pm 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
rogers park bryan wrote:

Chet Coppock
August 2

Man, I miss the by gone days at the legendary "LOOP", the greatest radio station in Chicago history. Johnny B., Kev Head, Garry, myself, and of course, the Dahlster...the guy who opened the door for Howard Stern.

He forgot Ed Tyll.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:05 pm 
1000 CLUB

Erotic Lawyer wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Chet Coppock
August 2

He forgot Ed Tyll.

No. He didn't.

Let's do it for Johnny!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:45 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:

Well put, Sini.

Yes!

Peak Score, which was peak sports radio was a combo of 2 things. First, there was North. As said, part of what made the station was the contrast in styles and shows and even the veiled (and not so veiled) shots. The whole was greater than the parts. Second, B&B were hugely assisted by their staff back then. I have nothing, per se, for J Hood now, but as a producer and contributor to B&B he did a great job. At times, when they'd get rolling with Hood, Fishman, Dan and Terry, it was just so damn funny. I cannot remember when I laughed like I used to laugh, and now I do not even find I need to listen as much.

What's funny, and I seem mostly unique on this, but I like Mac way more now, as in with Spiegs, than I did in the other shows. HFC seemed just a bit too juvenile, a bit too 1980's, Chicagofest, WLUP for me. Brief solo Mac was like wannabe Mike North, I hang at Gibson's too. MJH seemed too kick-backy. I like the show now because he seems real and honest. And I like hockey.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
People, how can we forget the Salsbury and Mariotti show?
Hall. Of. Fame.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:56 pm 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
Psycory wrote:
People, how can we forget the Salsbury and Mariotti show?
Hall. Of. Fame.

I almost had that memory completely removed from my brain. I should stab you.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:05 pm 

MJH was a great show for about 3 years. Then, everyone got comfortable and started to enjoy the paychecks and verbal fellatio. And that's fine. It's natural. Why rock the boat too much if you are collecting such good coin? Every show gets stale given enough time.

Monsters was a fun show for me to listen to when I was in high school or home from college in the summer at my various jobs. HFC I grew up with as a kid. My old man had it on every afternoon so it has a special place in my memory.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
The peak was North & Jiggetts, followed by the HFC (which also featured some all-time great transitions between the two).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:17 am 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Curious Hair wrote:
Boers and Bernstein from 2006-2011 was pretty damn good. I imagine that has to be the peak, though people who were there for the midday iteration say it was even better then.

It was very good during the midday run. I would spend my lunch breaks in the car to listen. Can't imagine doing that for any midday radio these days.

I honestly enjoyed the solo Bernstein when he would fill in on the network feed... I think he could hold a solo show without much problem. Assuming Boers is retiring over the next few years, should be interesting to see what direction they go.

Ed Tyll -- you might not like what he says -- Ed Tyll -- but he'll say it anyway -- Ed Tyll.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:29 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Jiggetts and North would top the list for me. MJH would be 2nd. No show today can hold a candle to either.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:06 am 

shirtless driver wrote:
Harry....... well we all know..

we do, but I just really enjoy hearing it said

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:19 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
The peak was North & Jiggetts, followed by the HFC (which also featured some all-time great transitions between the two).

This guy knows what he is talking about.

It is difficult to deny that Monsters followed by HFC was the golden age of the Score. I think even the current hosts would agree.

There was just something about that grouping that worked. Great shows individually and great programming as a collective.

I don't know why it matters but they liked each other and their fans. In turn, their fans loved them with fierce allegiance.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:21 am 

newper wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Boers and Bernstein from 2006-2011 was pretty damn good. I imagine that has to be the peak, though people who were there for the midday iteration say it was even better then.

It was very good during the midday run. I would spend my lunch breaks in the car to listen. Can't imagine doing that for any midday radio these days.. [/i]

I remember sitting in my car in the parking lot when they flipped the switch to daytime only to their new station. I blew off class for that moment. There is not a chance in the world I would do that today.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:22 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
good dolphin wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

This guy knows what he is talking about.

It is difficult to deny that Monsters followed by HFC was the golden age of the Score. I think even the current hosts would agree.

There was just something about that grouping that worked. Great shows individually and great programming as a collective.

I don't know why it matters but they liked each other and their fans. In turn, their fans loved them with fierce allegiance.

Thirded.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:05 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
newper wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

It was very good during the midday run. I would spend my lunch breaks in the car to listen. Can't imagine doing that for any midday radio these days.

I honestly enjoyed the solo Bernstein when he would fill in on the network feed... I think he could hold a solo show without much problem. Assuming Boers is retiring over the next few years, should be interesting to see what direction they go.

Ed Tyll -- you might not like what he says -- Ed Tyll -- but he'll say it anyway -- Ed Tyll.

Even earlier, around 2001-2, when J. Hood was producing, that was peak silliness for B&B. I think 2003 was the 'Larry Horse' episode.

There's little need for appointment radio in any context now since it's all podcasted (and there's other non-local podcasts to check out).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:11 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
What I'm taking from this discussion is that B&B was pretty much always a really good show until like two years ago. Hm.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:14 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
What I'm taking from this discussion is that B&B was pretty much always a really good show until like two years ago. Hm.

the signs of stank/rot were probably there sooner, it's just that it took us a few years for the evolved schtick to wear thin after so many years of endearing radio that the benefit of the doubt ceased to exist.

it's just like how the stern show essentially flipped a switch and was mailed in post-S/XM merger (~2008?) but most people point to the departure of the last actual human being on the show (artie) for the beginning of 2010 to be the proper downfall of the show.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:16 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I joined here in 2006 partially to complain about how annoying B&B had become in baiting Bear fans.

Although, I will agree it was more consistently entertaining back then.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:19 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
No. The clear dividing line was Penn State radio. It has not been good since then. That is when Bernstein decided that his radio show was a platform for fighting for random and indiscriminate social causes.

They have brief moments where they return to the greatness but then it quickly returns to preemptive attacks on stupid Cubs fans for not understanding that Theo Epstein never makes mistakes, and that football is bad for you, and Bill Simmons sucks, and whatever social cause is the flavor of the week for Bernstein.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:23 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
No. The clear dividing line was Penn State radio. It has not been good since then. That is when Bernstein decided that his radio show was a platform for fighting for random and indiscriminate social causes.

They have brief moments where they return to the greatness but then it quickly returns to preemptive attacks on stupid Cubs fans for not understanding that Theo Epstein never makes mistakes, and that football is bad for you, and Bill Simmons sucks, and whatever social cause is the flavor of the week for Bernstein.

Didn't CTE start before Penn State? Those shows were fucking death. I don't remember them having lawyers and PR people as guests during midday. When Eldon Hamm and PR losers became regulars is when I think they lost their marbles.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:25 am 

Curious Hair wrote:

I'm not sure that is true, just that no one listened as it got its ass handed to it by MJH for the better part of a decade.

B and B mid days was a fun, quirky little show.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:25 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
Didn't CTE start before Penn State? Those shows were fucking death. I don't remember them having lawyers and PR people as guests during midday. When Eldon Hamm and PR losers became regulars is when I think they lost their marbles.
I think you are right.

My memory is the Penn State stuff was constant. They would not talk about actual Chicago sports and instead talk about Penn State.

I think the CTE stuff may have been the first signs that Bernstein was bored with his job and he was looking for something more meaningful. The Penn State stuff gave him that chance and he jumped into it like a new Scientologist.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:28 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

I'm not sure that is true, just that no one listened as it got its ass handed to it by MJH for the better part of a decade.

B and B mid days was a fun, quirky little show.
B&B had many more highs than MJH did. MJH was a more consistent show but B&B has some of the best radio segments I've ever heard. That is why there is almost no MJH classic moments but there are tons of them for B&B.

I loved MJH, but I really only remember the times that Mac was suspended or getting in trouble.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:36 am 

i just remember during the penn state debacle being overwhelmed by the sheer amount of child rape talk on the radio. despite what bernstein claimed child rape isn't something i need to be made aware of in order to make me inherently against it, as the phrase ".....eight year olds, dude, eight year olds" was already in my vernacular lexicon by that point.

there was just something inherently odd about hearing all these details of child rape being poured on like aunt jemima that made me start to fundamentally reject the show that anchored my mornings/mid/days in terms of radio programming. but much like the stern show with artie's departure, i'd bet that if i went back and listened to shows from 2008-pennST without my rosy-colored-headphones i'd be like "yep.... there it is"

still tho, the show will always have its fond memories with me.... like back in 2005 when rex grossman came back against the falcons and looked way better than ol 5-ft-over-the-jumping-receiver's-hands orton and compelled b&b to have a "kiss our ass monday." that was appointment radio.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:15 am 

I can't believe any of you liked Murph. His voice is so repulsive.

I've got to admit, I hate you a little bit simply for even being willing to tolerate Murph.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?