It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:13 pm 
1000 CLUB

1. Grimace is already crying about how hard this has been on him. It's tough talking sports with different people, I guess. Or Spiegel wants people to think that. He wants public sympathy. Saying "I just want a partner. I don't care who. :cry: "

2. Since this has been a tryout of 6 guys, there are gonna be 5 Score guys that feel like they lost. They will feel that way because once the replacement is named they will have, well...lost. But what that means is bitterness and anger from them. The losers might feel that Spiegel told his bosses he can't work with them. They'll certainly hate Mitch and Zim more. Not that Mitch and Zim give a shit. Drinky will be worse than ever, though, once he officially loses. Get ready for that.

I might come up with more later. Feel free to give your ramifications of "The Mac Situation".

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Jack Brickhouse Toppings

"He sounds like a man that was never challenged to be a man."
"He gives a lot of opinions without probably having many life experiences."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
WE ARE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:57 pm 
1000 CLUB

3. If they do bring back Mac, his power at the station will be greater than it has ever been. Cuz after all his troubles, days off and all the other weird shit, for Zim to bring him back means he knows he needs him. Mac knows this too. With that, Mac will focus on taking down Bernstein and making the station a "Mac Culture" instead of the "Bernstein Culture" we've come to know.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Jack Brickhouse Toppings

"He sounds like a man that was never challenged to be a man."
"He gives a lot of opinions without probably having many life experiences."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:46 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
There are 3 different possibilities in my opinion. If they bring Mac back and insert him back into the 9am-1pm slot, the ratings will go back up for that show and things will go back to where they were, for the most part. A 2nd possibility, is the station brings Mac back and inserts him into the 1pm-6pm slot. Should that happen, it could turn the whole station around. They could put Bernstein and Spiegal into the 9am-1pm show and have Mac do the 1pm-6pm show with the partner of his choice. This would be likely to result in the Score taking back that time slot away from Waddle and Silvy, who are currently kicking Boers and Bernstein's asses in the afternoon. The final possibility is they let Mac go for good. If that happens, ESPN will reap the benefits and dominate the sports talk landscape for some time to come. Should Mac wind up at The Game, they might even wind up beating The Snore (an appropriate name for the station at this point) in the ratings, relegating am670 to a status of total irrelevancy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:18 am 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
There are 3 different possibilities in my opinion. If they bring Mac back and insert him back into the 9am-1pm slot, the ratings will go back up for that show and things will go back to where they were, for the most part. A 2nd possibility, is the station brings Mac back and inserts him into the 1pm-6pm slot. Should that happen, it could turn the whole station around. They could put Bernstein and Spiegal into the 9am-1pm show and have Mac do the 1pm-6pm show with the partner of his choice. This would be likely to result in the Score taking back that time slot away from Waddle and Silvy, who are currently kicking Boers and Bernstein's asses in the afternoon. The final possibility is they let Mac go for good. If that happens, ESPN will reap the benefits and dominate the sports talk landscape for some time to come. Should Mac wind up at The Game, they might even wind up beating The Snore (an appropriate name for the station at this point) in the ratings, relegating am670 to a status of total irrelevancy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:42 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
:lol: That is funny as hell SomeGuy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:07 am 

I can only imagine the bitching if Spiegal is the odd man out in this game of musical chairs. He will act like he was the good soldier through all the difficult times when in reality he has not given the job his all since his arrival

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:12 am 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
What would it look like if he "gave his all?"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:04 am 

Bucky Chris wrote:
Why do people have to ask this every single time about him?

It's been spelled out multiple times. Spiegel had a chance to establish himself. Instead, he treated it like this was his second job and that his singing gig was his primary job. He didn't build up a fanbase. He didn't ever get into a good rhythm. He basically just existed.

He should have scaled back on Tributo the day that he couldn't come into work because his voice was sore.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:08 am 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:

Why do people continue to suggest The Score splitting B&B? That's not going to happen, and in their 15th anniversary year, no less.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:10 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Bucky Chris wrote:
Why do people have to ask this every single time about him?

It's been spelled out multiple times. Spiegel had a chance to establish himself. Instead, he treated it like this was his second job and that his singing gig was his primary job. He didn't build up a fanbase. He didn't ever get into a good rhythm. He basically just existed.

He should have scaled back on Tributo the day that he couldn't come into work because his voice was sore.

I don't read every thread, so I didn't see this posted.

So this is just another example of "I HATE WHEN RADIO GUYS USE THEIR VACATION TIME!" Got it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:13 am 

Bucky Chris wrote:
I believe you have asked the same or a similar question before.
Bucky Chris wrote:
So this is just another example of "I HATE WHEN RADIO GUYS USE THEIR VACATION TIME!" Got it.
No. It's just the reality of the situation. No one at that station is going to trust Spiegel to be a lead dog when he seems more interested in his band than his job. It's like a pro athlete who shows up for all the mandatory workouts but doesn't really seem to care about anything more than doing the minimum.

Remember, Matt is the one that quit doing hit and run to "be with his family" and then told stories about how late he was at the poker rooms on the air.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:41 am 

RadioNerd wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:

Why do people continue to suggest The Score splitting B&B? That's not going to happen, and in their 15th anniversary year, no less.

Probably as a result of the downward spiral the B&B show has been on for some time now. That's not just an opinion from someone who dislikes their show, but a fact that is reflected in the fact that Waddle and Silvy have beaten them in the ratings book the past 14 weeks. It's likely the divide between the stations will only continue to grow greater, as the show is stale and has been for some time. Bernstein is a dislikable twit, but he does prepare properly and always has an opinion. Boers would be the one to go, because he makes too much money and does NOT prepare properly for their show. Often he just lets Bernstein run the show with little to contribute. The fact they have been together as long as they have, is probably more a reason to break it up, than to keep it together. It's stale. It has been for years.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:55 am 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:12 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Bucky Chris wrote:
I believe you have asked the same or a similar question before.
Bucky Chris wrote:
No. It's just the reality of the situation. No one at that station is going to trust Spiegel to be a lead dog when he seems more interested in his band than his job. It's like a pro athlete who shows up for all the mandatory workouts but doesn't really seem to care about anything more than doing the minimum.

Remember, Matt is the one that quit doing hit and run to "be with his family" and then told stories about how late he was at the poker rooms on the air.

I don't see how Meatpants using his vacations days is an example of "doing the minimum." If the expectation is that he shouldn't enjoy anything other than sports radio, I think you can see how silly of an idea that is.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:15 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Bucky Chris wrote:

I don't see how Meatpants using his vacations days is an example of "doing the minimum." If the expectation is that he shouldn't enjoy anything other than sports radio, I think you can see how silly of an idea that is.

He shouldn't have quit hit and run. He also does not give the benefit of the doubt because he is whiny and sucks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:18 am 

Bucky Chris wrote:
You reading what you want to read. It isn't necessarily about vacation days. It's about how he has had to call in sick for work because of voice issues and how he quit doing hit and run so he could "spend time with his family" and then he talks about going to poker rooms and still does his main job of lead singer of Tributosaurus.

He treated the Score like a normal job and didn't do his best to take advantage of it. Now, he is pretty much exposed and at the mercy of whatever Mac does because he hasn't established himself as a presence that anyone really tunes in to hear.

I have hobbies I enjoy too. I'm sure you do also. We all have to balance them with our work environment. There are salesman that go golfing every day. The company knows this and judges them as such. They may be able to pull it off but ultimately when the time comes for a more prominent role in the company they may be passed over.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:23 am 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
A 2nd possibility, is the station brings Mac back and inserts him into the 1pm-6pm slot. Should that happen, it could turn the whole station around.

I don't think either party is negotiating a 5 hour show. I'm sure Mac recognizes his threshold for burnout being less that 20 hours a week on air. I think Curious Hair was right, they should rejigger the schedule and carve a noon to 2 or 3 shift, and strengthen the bench.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:26 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Bucky Chris wrote:
You reading what you want to read. It isn't necessarily about vacation days. It's about how he has had to call in sick for work because of voice issues and how he quit doing hit and run so he could "spend time with his family" and then he talks about going to poker rooms and still does his main job of lead singer of Tributosaurus.

He treated the Score like a normal job and didn't do his best to take advantage of it. Now, he is pretty much exposed and at the mercy of whatever Mac does because he hasn't established himself as a presence that anyone really tunes in to hear.

I have hobbies I enjoy too. I'm sure you do also. We all have to balance them with our work environment. There are salesman that go golfing every day. The company knows this and judges them as such. They may be able to pull it off but ultimately when the time comes for a more prominent role in the company they may be passed over.

Couple things:
- He still gets sick days to use, no matter what. Even if you don't approve of the sickness.
- You're taking his reason for leaving Hit and Run at face value. And one could argue that having to spend that extra time on non-Cubs/Sox baseball stuff was actually hurting prep time for his real show.
- Sales guys get to golf when they hit their number. Obviously Meatpants is doing the equivalent, since he is still employed.
- You're making an assumption there is a better role for him at 670. Are you suggesting he wants afternoon drive at the Score? Or has he said he wants to be in management?
- He may also just know he will never be a top draw. Just because a mediocre football player wants to be the best and does extra work, and doesn't use vacation days doesn't mean he will be Drew Brees.

What specifically does he need to do to stop "treating it like a normal job?"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:30 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Bucky, everything you need to know can be seen with Spiegel's attitude. Not having Mac around for now 2 months should be seen as an incredible opportunity. He has the keys to the car. He can mold the 9-1 hour however he'd like and be the face. Instead he's looking for sympathy for somehow surviving. WTF.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:34 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Kirkwood wrote:
Not having Mac around for now 2 months should be seen as an incredible opportunity. He has the keys to the car. He can mold the 9-1 hour however he'd like and be the face. Instead he's looking for sympathy for somehow surviving. WTF.

i'd disagree with this, he's had to work with a different host sometimes multiple in a week.... maybe had they just picked one co-host over the last two months you could argue this... but i'd argue its tough to mold a show when 50% of the show cahnges on a daily/weekly basis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:35 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Bucky Chris wrote:

- You're taking his reason for leaving Hit and Run at face value. And one could argue that having to spend that extra time on non-Cubs/Sox baseball stuff was actually hurting prep time for his real show.

That's dumb. Radio is different and baseball was suppose to be his thing. It's probably the one thing he should have done and he quits.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:37 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
Bucky, everything you need to know can be seen with Spiegel's attitude. Not having Mac around for now 2 months should be seen as an incredible opportunity. He has the keys to the car. He can mold the 9-1 hour however he'd like and be the face. Instead he's looking for sympathy for somehow surviving. WTF.

Yea, I am not listening or anything. I'm just asking for examples of why it seems like this.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:38 am 

Bucky Chris wrote:
Couple things:
- He still gets sick days to use, no matter what. Even if you don't approve of the sickness.
- Sales guys get to golf when they hit their number. Obviously Meatpants is doing the equivalent, since he is still employed.
- You're making an assumption there is a better role for him at 670. Are you suggesting he wants afternoon drive at the Score? Or has he said he wants to be in management?
- He may also just know he will never be a top draw. Just because a mediocre football player wants to be the best and does extra work, and doesn't use vacation days doesn't mean he will be Drew Brees.

What specifically does he need to do to stop "treating it like a normal job?"
You keep on bringing up the fact he has the right to do the minimum. No one argues otherwise. You and me can do the same. Just don't be surprised when situations like this arise where his place is far from secure. You seemingly want to make everything "He can do what he did because he can do what he did".

The point is that his hobby seemed to be a higher priority than his job at The Score and everyone seems to know it. That is fine. A lot of people do the minimum. He just missed an opportunity to put himself in a better long term solution. If Mac leaves The Score the long term future of Spiegel is bleak. He may have a contract but it is hard to imagine him finding much success in this market going forward and ultimately I think he'll regret not making himself a bigger name in Chicago sports radio.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:38 am 

Bucky Chris wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:

Yea, I am not listening or anything. I'm just asking for examples of why it seems like this.
...and then ignoring them when given.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:39 am 

billypootons wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Not having Mac around for now 2 months should be seen as an incredible opportunity. He has the keys to the car. He can mold the 9-1 hour however he'd like and be the face. Instead he's looking for sympathy for somehow surviving. WTF.

i'd disagree with this, he's had to work with a different host sometimes multiple in a week.... maybe had they just picked one co-host over the last two months you could argue this... but i'd argue its tough to mold a show when 50% of the show cahnges on a daily/weekly basis

Maybe that's a sign that Meat already blew his chance to gwt the sway to make that request for a single co-host. In that he treated his golden opportunity, during Mac's first absence, like it didn't matter? He had the chance the FIRST time Mac was doped up to make his mark and to prepare for the eventuaity that Mac would be gone again.

He blew it. I mean, he let Larry come on and take complete and total control in a swift manner.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:05 am 

What is he blowing? What opportunity has he missed? He's still on air. He's not moving to afternoon (which who knows if he even wants that). He still may be the morning guy moving forward, right?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:12 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
We're talking about show business in the country's third-largest media market and this guy's advocating "doing the minimum." Yeah, that's smart. You want to do the minimum, do the minimum in Hartford.