It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:14 am 

Bucky Chris wrote:
What is he blowing? What opportunity has he missed? He's still on air. He's not moving to afternoon (which who knows if he even wants that). He still may be the morning guy moving forward, right?

Impossible to say what opportunities may have come up if he played it differently

Just saying

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:16 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
What opportunity? This is his third time to have a blank canvas for an extended period of time and own the show. He doesn't have to play by any of Mac's rules or ideas especially this time. He can take risks and perhaps become a hit. Instead ratings are falling! He's being conservative and playing the woe is me card. Seriously, he has a great opportunity because if ratings tank he can blame revolving partners, bad baseball, training camp, no Mac etc. Instead he's doing the same old show.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:20 am 

Bucky Chris wrote:
What is he blowing? What opportunity has he missed? He's still on air. He's not moving to afternoon (which who knows if he even wants that). He still may be the morning guy moving forward, right?
He was completely unable to hold an audience on a show he was one of the two hosts in the title. He's likely to get equal billing to a guy who has been a radio guy at The Score for about 3 weeks. It's not even a consideration to make the show "The Matt Spiegel show". There are serious doubts about what will happen when his contract is up as the midday show has struggled mightily without Mac.

Basically, this far into his tenure at The Score he is basically best known as Mac's co-host. If you don't think he had a chance to be more than that then you must not think Spiegel is even worth being on The Score.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:23 am 

Bucky Chris wrote:
What would it look like if he "gave his all?"

It would look like a guy in on a Sunday morning for Hit and Run, which should have been his signature show and a great way to brand himself with listeners.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:25 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
I do like Spiegel and think he's generally an interesting and likable guy, but he doesn't have the name or the charisma to drive a major-daypart radio show. In the morning, you have the veteran newspaper guys. In the afternoon, you have the funny show (well actually you have the social justice crusade and Twitter/Deadspin regurgitation but we haven't updated the sales kit in three years). In midday, you have...what's the catch here? The guy who knows a bit about sports and can sing and do a radio show and stuff? There's gotta be a better angle here.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:28 am 

pizza_Place: Joe's Pizza
Beardown wrote:
1. Grimace is already crying about how hard this has been on him. It's tough talking sports with different people, I guess. Or Spiegel wants people to think that. He wants public sympathy. Saying "I just want a partner. I don't care who. :cry: "

2. Since this has been a tryout of 6 guys, there are gonna be 5 Score guys that feel like they lost. They will feel that way because once the replacement is named they will have, well...lost. But what that means is bitterness and anger from them. The losers might feel that Spiegel told his bosses he can't work with them. They'll certainly hate Mitch and Zim more. Not that Mitch and Zim give a shit. Drinky will be worse than ever, though, once he officially loses. Get ready for that.

I might come up with more later. Feel free to give your ramifications of "The Mac Situation".

Grimace has no pull in this. The situation is that thanks to the inept captain of the S.S. Titanic, oops sorry S.S. Score, Mitch Rosen, is just going to say there is no problem as the ratings continue to sink. The ship is sinking faster because of Grimace's weight, Larry's lack of talent, and Little Danny sucking the air out of the room.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:32 am 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Curious Hair wrote:
I do like Spiegel and think he's generally an interesting and likable guy, but he doesn't have the name or the charisma to drive a major-daypart radio show. In the morning, you have the veteran newspaper guys. In the afternoon, you have the funny show (well actually you have the social justice crusade and Twitter/Deadspin regurgitation but we haven't updated the sales kit in three years). In midday, you have...what's the catch here? The guy who knows a bit about sports and can sing and do a radio show and stuff? There's gotta be a better angle here.

You get a transgendered albino who is strong on college hoops and the NL Central and you've got something you can package there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:36 am 

Telegram Sam wrote:
You get a transgendered albino who is strong on college hoops and the NL Central and you've got something you can package there.

Come on, you're never going to see a person like that in Chicago radio. You think we're ready for someone who's strong on college hoops?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:40 am 

Dan told him (and us) well in advance what his game plan was going to be this year. Matt, knowing he had contractual security should have devised a response to make mid days The Matt Spiegal Show. I would have insisted the station get me out on remotes. I would have booked myself for every weekend meet and greet available. I would have asked for some weekend shifts to get my name out there to less traditional audiences. I would have gotten my ass on every local TV show I could find. I would have definitely scheduled face time with every sponsor to assure them of continued quality shows. I would have had regular call ins to every other shift so that I could maximize exposure.

Larry is a dork but that fucker LOVES being on sportsradio and never takes it for granted. Take parts Sir and North to become the ultimate self promotioner.

It's like Clinton being president, it seemed like he never took a vacation. Even his sex time was held in the Oval Office.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:46 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Dan told him (and us) well in advance what his game plan was going to be this year. Matt, knowing he had contractual security should have devised a response to make mid days The Matt Spiegal Show. I would have insisted the station get me out on remotes. I would have booked myself for every weekend meet and greet available. I would have asked for some weekend shifts to get my name out there to less traditional audiences. I would have gotten my ass on every local TV show I could find. I would have definitely scheduled face time with every sponsor to assure them of continued quality shows. I would have had regular call ins to every other shift so that I could maximize exposure.

This just isn't the Score way anymore. All that hustling is for people beneath them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:52 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Curious Hair wrote:

Spieg's DH articles are pretty poor. I like him on the radio specifically because baseball is my thing. His willingness to embrace baseball lines up with my own interests. I hope he sticks around.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Great American
Bucky Chris wrote:
What is he blowing? What opportunity has he missed?

The opportunity to host an entertaining midday show. Spiegs is a bad listen no matter how many days he works or who his co-host is.

Mac FM wrote:
Did somebody say grass?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
Councilman Les Whinen wrote:
Bucky Chris wrote:

The opportunity to host an entertaining midday show. Spiegs is a bad listen no matter how many days he works or who his co-host is.

Yea, I think the bigger issue is people just don't like him.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:11 pm 

Bucky Chris wrote:
Bucky Chris wrote:

And he's totally half assing the job when he should be taking this unique opportunity and squeezing every inch of life out of it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:14 pm 

Bucky Chris wrote:
Bucky Chris wrote:

Like 5 people answered the exact question you were asking and this is what you take from it?

We all just hate Matt Spiegel!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:21 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
I think the Speigs hate is an anti-fat faction on this board.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:38 pm 

jimmypasta wrote:
I think the Speigs hate is an anti-fat faction on this board.

Ya, what you gonna do about it, tubby? Eat some more?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:46 pm 
1000 CLUB

4. If Mac does come back, Bernstein and his team will resent/hate him more than they already did. We already heard B&B ripping Mac for his quotes in the Sherman article. The guys trying out for the show, upon hearing Mac is coming back will say "What the fuck?"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Beardown wrote:
4. If Mac does come back, Bernstein and his team will resent/hate him more than they already did. We already heard B&B ripping Mac for his quotes in the Sherman article. The guys trying out for the show, upon hearing Mac is coming back will say "What the fuck?"

I only want Mac back at The Score if he takes Bernies afternoon spot. THAT would be great to see.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:51 pm 
1000 CLUB

Scorehead wrote:
Beardown wrote:

I only want Mac back at The Score if he takes Bernies afternoon spot. THAT would be great to see.

As others have said, why would that happen? While they slipped in July, B&B have won afternoons in the key male demo for years. And Terry and Dan just got new contracts. So everybody can stop hoping.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:15 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Curious Hair wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

This just isn't the Score way anymore. All that hustling is for people beneath them.

And Leery over exposed himself and found out real quick how much people do not like him.

I think most people would have done the same to Spiegs. Overweight and condescending douche are not real enduring qualities to have.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Great American
Bucky Chris wrote:
Bucky Chris wrote:

Seems like that would be a pretty big issue if you're job involved attracting fans, yes?

And have you ever considered that people don't like him expressly because he's bad at his job?

Mac FM wrote:
Did somebody say grass?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:16 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
I like Matt more than most on here, but I am starting to realize I really don't like him too much without Mac.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:22 pm 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
Franky T wrote:
I like Matt more than most on here, but I am starting to realize I really don't like him too much without Mac.

I have no problem with him if he is with Mac. He is an ok Robin. He is just not good without him.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
Bucky Chris wrote:
Bucky Chris wrote:

Seems like that would be a pretty big issue if you're job involved attracting fans, yes?

And have you ever considered that people don't like him expressly because he's bad at his job?

I don't like him, and I think he's bad at his job. But I still don't understand how he should have grabbed the proverbial bull by the horns while Mac has been out.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:54 pm 

Bucky Chris wrote:
Bucky Chris wrote:

I don't like him, and I think he's bad at his job. But I still don't understand how he should have grabbed the proverbial bull by the horns while Mac has been out.[/quote]

He should have but I don't think he was capable. He doesn't do much work. Which is essentially ok but if he wants Ruben to have a pampered lifestyle he could have worked harder to make it his show. Spiegs is generally soft although he has talent. He truly could have done more. Like others mentioned I liked him on hit and run. He had passion for that show. I am not a huge baseball fan but that I would listen too working on the yard. He seems lost without Mac. I think he just wants to be a second fiddle. I bet his bands felt that way too. Although a front man he wants huge talent backing him up.

Erotic Lawyer.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Bucky Chris wrote:
I don't like him, and I think he's bad at his job. But I still don't understand how he should have grabbed the proverbial bull by the horns while Mac has been out.

Are you fucking serious? Opportunities like Meat had with Mac gone don't come around often for anyone. He did nothing with it, he ran and hid, skipped more work and just treaded water. What did he do with the show that made it THE MEAT SHOW? Nothing.

He blew it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:33 pm 

SomeGuy wrote:
Bucky Chris wrote:

Are you fucking serious? Opportunities like Meat had with Mac gone don't come around often for anyone. He did nothing with it, he ran and hid, skipped more work and just treaded water. What did he do with the show that made it THE MEAT SHOW? Nothing.

He blew it.

I love that you will always be Patrick Bateman to me. Not saying I am a Bret Easton Ellis fan but I might be.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:34 am 

Bucky Chris wrote:

Really? It is not that hard to understand this. Here is what he should have done given this chance:

1. Stop the fucking radio food tasting.
2. Stop the damn drafts.
3. Start working in more solid baseball talk, which is suppose to be his favorite sport.
4. Move away from the fart jokes and the usual Mac Hijinks.
5. No days off, or pretending to be a rock star and focus on slowly building the show into what you think it would be.
6. Subtle changes like the bumpers.
7. Drop the fucking parody songs.
8. Stop the fucking songs announcing each guest.
9. You have your own contacts from your time in the business, use them.

Shit man, I can go on, but it is not that hard to figure out what he should have done.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:35 am 

Erotic Lawyer wrote:
Spiegs is generally soft although he has talent.

Shots fired!

He's also soft in the gut.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next