It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 668 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:50 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Playing after work tonight. With a 5pm tee time I really am not sure if we will get 18 in or not.
Depends on how empty the front nine is I suppose. Not sure what I am doing tomorrow, either
hit the driving range or play 9 with the girlfriend. I am out of town on business next week
from Tuesday until Sunday night. Pretty sure I am going to take Monday off and try to play in
the morning.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:35 am 

Nice weekend for golf. I am thankful it is raining today though. Shot 75 on Friday and 73 yesterday.
Both rounds on par 70 courses. I can't get off the tee very well but hitting more greens and the
putting is coming back. Very rarely does it all work at the same time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:29 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Golf is hard. 41-47 at River Oaks at first light on Saturday. The gates were still locked when I pulled up :lol:

Perfect greens again as I was first out. Played two balls the first two holes again just to get warmed up. First swing of the day is a 160 yard par 3 that I put about 5' from the pin. Of course I missed the putt for bird. Was right almost every swing with the driver. Found myself punching out from the trees several times, but only had double bogey due to that once. Pretty good on the front 9.

The back...not to much. Driver was terrible except for one or two shots, lost a couple balls in the water, and had two 3 putt bogeys. Iron play was very good almost all day, flat stick was good on the front, so so on the back. Overall though I am definitely hitting more greens in reg, and when I'm in trouble playing smart and taking my medicine rather than try some miracle over the trees shot to try and ave par.

Was home by 9am and got to sleep for a couple more hours before I headed out to Lakemoorfest.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:45 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Amazing golf weekend at Island Hills golf club in southern Michigan. Course was top notch. Stayed in one of their villas which was 20 feet from the 18 green. It was really cool finishing up on 18 and then just driving the cart to our villa and leaving in there over night and then driving it to the clubhouse in the morning for our next round. Villas were really nice too, 60 inch big screen with directv in the main living room, 45 inch flat screens in bed rooms. Great balcony overlooking the 17 green.

Course itself was really nice. Some of the fastest and most tiered greens I've ever seen. Super fast yet they held approach shots. I played pretty good at the start...shot a 88 day 1 and then a 42 on the front on day 2, then the wheels came off and I shot a 48 on the back. We broke for 3 hours in between rounds and when I got back out there I immediately started shanking every iron shot I took. Haven't had the shanks like this since May of 2013 when I had to change my whole swing. Shot a 101 and broke my sand wedge in half. Next day still had the shanks, but not as bad. Shot an 87, but I think that was due to the fact that the course is so long and I was so tired that my drives were going nowhere and I was hitting hybrids into every green which are tough clubs to shank. Had 14 hybrid shots in that round vs 6 iron shots (5 iron through 9 iron).

At night we would go out to the 18 green and have moonlit chipping contests.

Place is the very definition of a hidden gem. Its about 3 hours from Chicago and no one knows about it. Cost us $460 per guy for 4 rounds of golf plus unlimited range balls and 2 nights in a villa. If this course was around here it would easily be a $90 round. Which means we basically got the luxury villa for $50 per night per guy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:38 am 

Very good article on the Kohler courses and where they are headed. They are trying to build a 3rd course South of where Whistling Straits and the Irish Course are.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/golf/koh ... 12441.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:36 am 
100000 CLUB

Hawg Ass wrote:
Very good article on the Kohler courses and where they are headed.
Gotta bit a pretty big project to move a golf course.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:37 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Very good article on the Kohler courses and where they are headed.
Gotta bit a pretty big project to move a golf course.

:|

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:26 am 
100000 CLUB

Supposed to play in an outing/scramble this weekend to benefit a children's cancer fund, but it looks like there is chance it will get washed out :(

Really hoping the weather holds out from about 11am- 4pm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:56 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
86 at Blackstone in Marengo yesterday. Played much better than I did my first time there. Hit 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 4 iron off the tee at a few par 4s, which, being a relatively short hitter, I don't do all that much. Fairways are really undulating and it helped my GIRs to be hitting from a flat lie. While the greens are super-fast, the practice green is insanely fast and really got in my head the last time out. Great course.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:07 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
86 at Blackstone in Marengo yesterday. Played much better than I did my first time there. Hit 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 4 iron off the tee at a few par 4s, which, being a relatively short hitter, I don't do all that much. Fairways are really undulating and it helped my GIRs to be hitting from a flat lie. While the greens are super-fast, the practice green is insanely fast and really got in my head the last time out. Great course.

Its on my short list of courses I need to play.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Cali Za Kitchen
shakes wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

Its on my short list of courses I need to play.

I used to golf Blackstone a lot a few years ago (around the time the new clubhouse was being built). One of my favorite courses around but just haven't had a lot of free time to get out to Marengo. Fast greens and a fair layout, can't beat it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:27 am 
100000 CLUB

Quote:
Simple Set of Seven Rules Debuted Today on Morning Drive Builds Upon Success of 2013 Pace of Play Initiative

(ORLANDO, Fla.) – “It’s OK, golf is about fun.”

This simple approach underscores a Golf Channel series of segments called Relaxed Rules, which debuted today on Morning Drive with the help of Charlie Rymer and Matt Ginella, who are serving as the leading voices for this series that boils golf down to just seven common sense rules.

After Golf Channel’s widely praised Pace of Play series that Rymer and Ginella spearheaded in 2013, the Relaxed Rules series is the next phase of network’s Pace of Play and Grow the Game efforts. In preparation for this series, Golf Channel commissioned research that revealed 85 percent of avid golfers and lapsed golfers are in favor of specific “relaxed rules” for recreational play.

“When there’s nothing on the line but fun, recreational golf should be an enjoyable experience,” said Rymer, former PGA TOUR player and co-host of Morning Drive. “Trying to remember and decipher the official rules can get in the way of a good time.”

“We’re not suggesting that golfers ignore the official rules. They should continue to be used for any type of competitive play,” said Ginella, co-host of Morning Drive and senior travel editor for GolfAdvisor.com. “But when it’s a match among friends, Relaxed Rules can make the game easier, faster and more fun. These simply are common sense practices for avid amateurs, and it’s how the majority of the game is being played anyway.”

These unofficial Relaxed Rules are simple and short – seven rules for the vast majority of recreational golfers who just want to enjoy a round of golf with a spouse, family members, friends, etc. – and they govern all play:

MAXIMUM SCORE: double par (i.e. 6 on par-3s, 8 on par-4s….)
PENALTIES: all are 1 stroke, including out of bounds, water and lateral hazards, lost ball and unplayable lie. Drop a ball near where the original was lost and play on.
SEARCH TIME: 2 minutes to look for your ball. If lost, proceed under Rule #2.
UNFORTUNATE LIES: with your playing partners’ consent, balls may be dropped out of divots or footprints, away from tree roots and any other dangerous lies.
CONCEDED PUTTS: putts may be conceded with your playing partners’ consent.
EQUIPMENT: no restrictions, including number of clubs.
COMMON SENSE: when in doubt, use common sense and fairness.

Relaxed Rules are being supported by Golf Channel on air, online and through social media, featuring the #GolfIsFun hashtag and GolfChannel.com’s Growing the Game page. A collection of videos featuring “Doctor” Charlie Rymer, who claims a PhD in Relaxed Rules, and Matt Ginella, as the hapless Knucklehead who is consumed by what he sees “on Tour,” will highlight situations on the golf course when Relaxed Rules can help alleviate confusing situations and speed up play. Each video will premiere on Morning Drive, which is serving as the on-air hub for the campaign. Morning Drive also will feature expert guests, who will provide commentary and strike compelling discussion about how these Relaxed Rules are good for the game.

Agree with most of this. I'll spend a few minutes looking for a ball that I know is in play but I just can't see in rough. I'll pickup a 3'/non-Adam-Scott-putter-length bogey putt, but I'll hit them if they are for par or better. For beginners double the par is OK. I've gotten more than double the par on a few holes this year and I wrote down the high numbers on the scorecard. But for the rest of these, most weekend golfers or mid-high handicappers should be using these 100% of the time they play. It should help keep the scores lower, helps everybody have more fun, and helps every body play a quicker round.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:58 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
PENALTIES: all are 1 stroke, including out of bounds, water and lateral hazards, lost ball and unplayable lie. Drop a ball near where the original was lost and play on.
UNFORTUNATE LIES: with your playing partners’ consent, balls may be dropped out of divots or footprints, away from tree roots and any other dangerous lies.

I feel like I should sue someone for stealing my thoughts cause I already do everything on that list except the 2 minute lost ball rule...my rule is 30 seconds. Me and my friends already play double par and we already play that you take the distance on all out of bounds shots and drop where it went in.

There's no reason anyone out there should be re-teeing and/or taking provisionals. Just go where the ball went out and drop from there. The game is taking too long to play as it is, measures need to be taken to speed things up and everything on that list accomplishes that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:55 pm 

shakes wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

I feel like I should sue someone for stealing my thoughts cause I already do everything on that list except the 2 minute lost ball rule...my rule is 30 seconds. Me and my friends already play double par and we already play that you take the distance on all out of bounds shots and drop where it went in.

There's no reason anyone out there should be re-teeing and/or taking provisionals. Just go where the ball went out and drop from there. The game is taking too long to play as it is, measures need to be taken to speed things up and everything on that list accomplishes that.

AMEN!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:25 pm 

9:30 am tee time at Heritage Bluffs with my guy mcbrides

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:45 am 
100000 CLUB

We ended up +1 at the scramble. Normally not a good score for a scramble, but of the only 10 groups that played we were in 3rd place. It was a friend of our who only golfs once a year at this thing, my Dad, and myself, so all told +1 isn't a bad score for us. I hit the hell out of my driver, did not do much of anything else correct. Had a couple of wedge shots within 12'

My Dad won both closest to the pin contests, and I won $25 by putting my tee shot on 18 (130 yard par 3) within a 10' diameter circle around the hole. So that was pretty sweet. Ended up being a perfect day for golf, all for a good cause. I had a blast.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:28 pm 

Solid weekend of golf, got over the shanks for the most part, but still had a couple. Changed up my tee stance quite severly and that seems to be helping cure my slice. The steroids in my back are starting to wear off which is making swinging the club mroe and more difficult. Played Sunset Valley in HP friday for $35 on Golfnow which is exactly what it should cost. Shot an 86, not bad. Next day I was supposed to golf with Furious, but he bruised his labia and had to cancel. Took the wife instead to Countryside. Tried out the new stance and shot an 81. My 5th 81 of the year, my season low. One of these days I"m gonna break 80! Got up and down with my 60 degree 6 times which helped quite a bit, but also missed 4-5 birdie putts inside 10 feet. My wife missed a hole in one by 4 inches. Her ball was 2 feet behind the hole and looking at her ball mark you could see that the ball must've rolled just to the side of the hole.

Nexts day I treated myself to a round at Stonewall Orchard, a really nice course. Shot a 90, but felt like I played better than that. Putting was god awful, over 2 putts per hole for first time in 8 rounds. Had a few bad swings and out there you pay dearly for those. Definitely left a mid 80s round out on the course, but considering a week ago I was shanking everything and shot over 100 I am not complaining.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
shakes wrote:
Next day I was supposed to golf with Furious, but he bruised his labia and had to cancel.

Shots fired!

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:36 am 

shakes wrote:
Nexts day I treated myself to a round at Stonewall Orchard, a really nice course. Shot a 90, but felt like I played better than that. Putting was god awful, over 2 putts per hole for first time in 8 rounds. Had a few bad swings and out there you pay dearly for those. Definitely left a mid 80s round out on the course, but considering a week ago I was shanking everything and shot over 100 I am not complaining.

I have heard so much about this place and never played it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:39 am 

Well, I was out of town the last week in Orlando for work. Hadn't played since 8/10 and got home at
1am Monday morning. Got up at 6 and made it to the course by 9:30 after doing stuff around the
house. Played the course near home which is par 70. I still would like to hit some more fairways
but the game in general survived the layoff. 5 fairways, 10 greens and I only had 29 putts which was
pretty incredible. Finished with a 72 after going -1 on the front nine.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:45 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Well, I was out of town the last week in Orlando for work. Hadn't played since 8/10 and got home at
1am Monday morning. Got up at 6 and made it to the course by 9:30 after doing stuff around the
house. Played the course near home which is par 70. I still would like to hit some more fairways
but the game in general survived the layoff. 5 fairways, 10 greens and I only had 29 putts which was
pretty incredible. Finished with a 72 after going -1 on the front nine.

Nice round!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:25 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Chus wrote:
shakes wrote:
Next day I was supposed to golf with Furious, but he bruised his labia and had to cancel.

Shots fired!

I got nothing. I cracked a rib from sneezing. Still in a decent amount of pain when I cough or clear my throat. The golf swing motion isn't really a problem. Hope to be back in 3-4 weeks.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:30 am 
100000 CLUB

Playing Cog Hill #3 Saturday 2:52pm with my Dad and two buddies. Really enjoy the golf course at twilight. I don't play that late very often, but always enjoy it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:23 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Really enjoy the golf course at twilight. I don't play that late very often, but always enjoy it.

That's the best time to play. The course is usually empty by then.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:26 am 

Playing 9 holes with the girlfriend tomorrow morning and playing 18 with a buddy at 6am Sunday.
Going to be hot and humid Sunday so trying to get the round in before the sun gets too high in the
sky. Should be done by 9:30.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:54 pm 

My amazing level of consistency was on display this week. Shot a 54 Wednesday in the playoffs of my 9 hole golf league. My team was within striking distance of the leaders heading into the round and I responded by putting up a 10 on the first hole. Solid.

Then today shot a 83 at Bonnie Brook. Had court in Waukegan this morning so figured why not? Probably burned the edge of the hole on 6 putts, but since most of those putts were within 5 feet its more pathetic than anything. If I wasn't such a terrible putter I could've challenged my all time low round of 77. Had 4 3putt bogeys.

Went through my 5th or 6th swing change in the past 2 weeks off the tee and finally found something that seems to be working. Still not drawing the ball like I did last year, but at least today they weren't right hand turns.

Playing Lake Bluff tomorrow at 11, hopefully enough time to recover from tonight's hockey game which will be done around 1 am.

Can see the season coming to an end soon, starting to look back at the year and noticing some trends. I'd say the biggest disappointments for me this year have been my putting which has been anywhere from horrific to mediocre and my driver which hasn't been as bad as the putter, but has definitely taken a step back from last year when it was the most consistent part of my game.

Irons were fine till about a month ago when the hook showed up out of nowhere. A month later and I'm still fighting my way out of it. Hybrids have been either perfect or terrible, no in between. And its really weird cause all season longs I was fighting a big hook with my hybrids. Now, all of the sudden in the last few weeks I can't stop fading the 3 hybrid. Can't turn it left even if I try. So been adjusting to that.

On the plus side my short game inside 80 yards has been outstanding. I've bailed myself out countless times with my 60 degree greenside as well as my 56 from 30-80 yards. Still using the shot Hawg taught me last year, the dead arm sweeping sand wedge. Sometimes I can throw darts with it.

Not sure if I have time to reach my goal of breaking 80 more than once, but at this point I'd be happy with just doing it once.

Got my big Wisconsin buddies trip/tournament in a couple weeks so still some time to round into shape. If I can continue doing what I did today and clean up the putting a bit I'll be very happy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:18 am 

Played nine on Saturday and although I wasn't keeping score I am pretty sure I was around a 39.
Finally getting off the tee a bit better. My irons were a bit rusty and while I hit greens I wasn't anywhere
near the pin. Sunday's round got cancelled when my friend couldn't make it. I didn't want to play by myself.
I am out of town this coming weekend and then the following weekend I am playing a two day tournament
at Fox Lake CC. Two days of golf and a lunch after the Sunday round for $90 and a chance to play
competitively again. I am going to need to hit the range during the week prior to playing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:31 am 
100000 CLUB

Played 15 holes at George Dunne after the rain on Saturday. It was not good. I would have been probably at 102 or 103 for a full 18. Lost about 8 balls, didn't hit my irons well, killed my driver all day but pulled about 4 shots to the left and out of play. Outside of a few of nice chips to inside of 3' (all of which were for bogey or worse) and no 3 putts, it was just a catastrophe out there. :( Really a disappointing for me overall after scoring in the low-mid 80s several times last year.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:57 am 

Headed up to the Boundary Waters in northern Minnesota this afternoon and will be staying within an
hour of the #1 public course in Minnesota ( #20 in the nation ). Place is called The Quarry at Giants
Ridge. $89 with a cart so you can't beat it. Apparently it draws midwest comparisons to Whistling
Straits and Erin Hills. Looks gorgeous. Unfortunately with the girlfriend and her two kids stuff I
can't fit the clubs in the car! :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:05 am 
100000 CLUB

Rent a set, or make room in the car!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 668 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 23  Next