It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:25 pm 

You are just guessing because they are hosting tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:28 pm 

You heard them say it on the radio that they were hosting tomorrow and then almost immediately created the thread.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Why are they keeping Grimace at all? I thought the only reason he was here was because Mac hand picked him.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:29 pm 

Q.Bovifs wrote:
From a little birdie.

We'll see if this bird has wings. 8) 8) 8)

This sounds like a spmack type of rumor.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:30 pm 

Q.Bovifs wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
You heard them say it on the radio that they were hosting tomorrow and then almost immediately created the thread.

That is not true at all. I am listening on a 10 minute delay on TuneInRadio App. I first heard the announcement on the radio only after I posted.
How convenient.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:31 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Why are they keeping Grimace at all? I thought the only reason he was here was because Mac hand picked him.

I am assuming because he is under a contract for a couple of more years.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:33 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

Ahhhh the Edwin Jackson of radio.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:36 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

Ahhhh the Edwin Jackson of radio.

I don't think Grimace can get dl'd though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:37 pm 

What is the rush to push Mannelly into the spotlight?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:39 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

I suppose you need to get him in while he is still fresh in everyone's mind and probably still has good connections with the current players. If he sucks you were doing the guy a favor and if he's good you get to look smart about grabbing him up right away.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:51 pm 

sportsfan11 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

In my opinion, it can be attributed to the fact that the popularity of the Bears in this town is unmatched by any other Chicago sports teams. In terms of the current Chicago sports radio landscape, there are currently at least 4 former football players who are co-hosting a local weekday sports radio talk show: Tom Waddle, John Jurkovic, Jarrett Payton, and Howard Griffith. But hiring a former football player, even an ex-Bear, to be the co-host of a local sports radio talk show has not always translated into ratings gold.

SHARK!!!! Welcome back buddy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
good dolphin wrote:

Empty spotlight

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
good dolphin wrote:

I think part of it is what Hank said: he's a long snapper, albeit a long-tenured long snapper, so you need to move him into broadcasting before anyone who cared about Patrick Mannelly once forgets about him.

There's also the fact that he's articulate for an ex-football player. The Score has decided that people want to hear from former Bears, but the problem is that most of them have nothing interesting to say. Mannelly doesn't, and has even disclaimed that he won't break bad on former teammates, but the fact that at least he doesn't sound like a dipshit the way Urlacher does makes him semi-valuable.

Still, that the Score is on the cusp of making a former long snapper a major part of its lineup just makes Chicago look so lame. I think LaVar Arrington is doing a daily talk show in DC. I don't think LaVar Arrington was all that great, and he probably sucks at doing radio, but at least he played a position people care about, so I kinda get why some jock-sniffer would hand him a gig. Lionizing a long snapper as A Guy Who Really Made It After Football is as pathetic as when Olin Kreutz was said to be the best player on the team circa 2003-2004.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Another Duke grad on the roster if he signs.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:09 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:

REALLY.SMART.PEOPLE.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
so they made a formal annoucement of this show, without the members of the show?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
veganfan21 wrote:

Ahhh. That explains a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:37 pm 

bigfan wrote:
so they made a formal annoucement of this show, without the members of the show?
No. These guys are just hosting tomorrow, and Panther heard that and made up a source so it seems like he had someone call him to share the rumor about a midday sports radio show.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
good dolphin wrote:

they're cheap?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:52 pm 

Q.Bovifs wrote:
Nope. Not accurate. I heard this directly from a 3rd party.
Well, then you are a victim of very poor timing since your post coincided with it being mentioned that they will be hosting together tomorrow.

Am I to believe that someone called you up to give you a rumor about a midday show on the radio?
Q.Bovifs wrote:
Also, I had posted about it earlier, but I believe Mannelly did let it slip a few weeks ago on air that he signed with WSCR.
Yeah, we all knew that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:59 pm 
1000 CLUB

Abbatacola said he's on next week with Rozner, Leery, and Grote. Sounds like Grimace is off all next week. So they're gonna announce the new midday lineup tomorrow, the have fill ins all next week?!? What a Mickey Mouse operation. Mitch Rosen is a fucking joke. SMFH!

Let's do it for Johnny!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:13 pm 

Fingers crossed that the new lineup will mean 20% less Boers & Bernstein, though I highly doubt Rod will allow that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Curious Hair wrote:
Fingers crossed that the new lineup will mean 20% less Boers & Bernstein, though I highly doubt Rod will allow that.

Could that work with the paper they've got? Not sure how that works. Terrys a write off anyway, but even so what sort of rationale exists money wise for cutting workload but not changing pay?

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:34 pm 

That's exactly why I know they won't do it. Giving anyone a five-hour show is a bad idea.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:17 pm 
1000 CLUB

News that Mannelly was hosting on Friday came from a tweet by Spiegel on Sunday. RFDC posted a Spiegel tweet that the new partner announcement could come this week. So speculation that in was Mannelly had already begun on this board just putting 2+2 together. Announcement + Mannelly on Friday = Likely Friday announcement that it is Mannelly.

What a dumb decision this would be. Drinky sucks but even he'd be a better choice. Man, is drinky gonna be pissed if it's the long snapper. Same with Grote and Rozner but drinky's gonna be out of control pissed. Grote and Rozner will handle it in a more dignified manner. Drinky doesn't have that in him.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:24 pm 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
Beardown wrote:
News that Mannelly was hosting on Friday came from a tweet by Spiegel on Sunday. RFDC posted a Spiegel tweet that the new partner announcement could come this week. So speculation that in was Mannelly had already begun on this board just putting 2+2 together. Announcement + Mannelly on Friday = Likely Friday announcement that it is Mannelly.

What a dumb decision this would be. Drinky sucks but even he'd be a better choice. Man, is drinky gonna be pissed if it's the long snapper. Same with Grote and Rozner but drinky's gonna be out of control pissed. Grote and Rozner will handle it in a more dignified manner. Drinky doesn't have that in him.

On Monday Meat said by the end of the week or before the season starts. Not verbatim. Long snapper is not it, although I believe they announce it but he is by far going to be the least offended about an announcement. He is barely cutting his teeth. He thought he could maybe play a few months ago. I vote 5% chance. Seems more like the fill in to announce Mike North has returned. I jest on that but it is the easiest co-host to make an announcement with without someone getting their feathers ruffled. Like leery did.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Jack Brickhouse Toppings
Q.Bovifs wrote:
From a little birdie.

We'll see if this bird has wings. 8) 8) 8)

"He sounds like a man that was never challenged to be a man."
"He gives a lot of opinions without probably having many life experiences."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Dumb and dumber.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I would be surprised at this point if it wasn't Spiegel and Goff, or Spiegel, Abbatacola, and Goff.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:17 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
BEARS BEARS BEARS!

Not surprised if it is Mannelly. Try to get a cheap short term bump in the ratings for the football season to tell Mac, "see it's not you that gets the ratings, it's the Bears".