It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
If i were Mannely, I wouldn't have been fond of the on-air lecture either. It was really just an opportunity for Dan to rationalize his behavior and Larry to act cool while talking down to the rookie.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
My favorite part of Leery's contribution to the segment was how he stepped on Dan's retelling of the B&B origin story to intimate that Ron Gleason is a self-hating Jewish person for suggesting Bernstein go by "Bernsie" to be "more accessible." Yeah, why did you reely want him to use that?

Last edited by Curious Hair on Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:02 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
So what will they call the new show?

How about Chunky and the Man?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Sausage
Arghhhh these promo's pushing Manelly, like it's damn Jay Cutler or Ditka joining the Score....but no, it's a generally nice, bland former long snapper....

I'D RATHER HAVE ANTHONY ADAMS!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
cluv8484 wrote:
I'D RATHER HAVE ANTHONY ADAMS!!!!!

Spiced Meat!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:05 pm 

jimmypasta wrote:

Meat's name will be first. You can bet your ass on that one.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:05 pm 

In 16 years, the talented and brilliant Patrick Mannelly, having more free time than any of the other 52 members of the team, never was asked to be a contributor on the myriad stations that have some Bears talk each week. He retires and he gets a show.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:24 pm 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
good dolphin wrote:
In 16 years, the talented and brilliant Patrick Mannelly, having more free time than any of the other 52 members of the team, never was asked to be a contributor on the myriad stations that have some Bears talk each week. He retires and he gets a show.

I am shocked. I can't believe that was their choice but the "we" jar was an indication. Really bad move. Hell the only person heralding Pat before he retired was Mac. Mitch this is insulting to your listeners, your staff and ISIS.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:30 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Some folks feel the need to step on necks to climb the human ladder. Others choose, or are required, to traverse a different path around the bodies...a direction that others respect.

Berns is top dog. The competition is gone. Solo show afternoon drive coming...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:33 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
My real hope was a complete shake-up - move some guys around, mix people up, make it more interesting.

You could bring Mannelly in if you pair him with a guy like Bernstein, put Boers with Hanley maybe, stick Mully and Spiegel together or at the very least put Boers & Spiegel together with a 3rd guy like drinky.

Something like that would have kept my interest.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:34 pm 

jimmypasta wrote:

Mann Tits!

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:34 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

He's been doing those Bears weekly shows for a while now.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:39 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
A full shake up would be worse. There are probably studies that suggest listenership would plummet due to a unfamiliarity with the "product"... Like if milk became "malk" or "molk". Would you buy a jug of purple mulk? I would not.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:41 pm 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
A full shake up would be worse. There are probably studies that suggest listenership would plummet due to a unfamiliarity with the "product"... Like if milk became "malk" or "molk". Would you buy a jug of purple mulk? I would not.

Yeah, a full shake up wouldn't be the answer. Doc made a good point earlier - radio has a lot to do with familiarity.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:44 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Maybe not a full shake-up. But a guy like Mannelly would only work with someone like Bernsie, Mac, or Boers.

Boers can't do it because he doesn't drive a show.

Mac is gone, obviously. So, that leaves Bernsie.

You then put Spiegel and Boers together with drinky or Laurence as a 3rd because both those guys miss a bunch of shows and there you go.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:57 pm 

The core issue of why this - in all likelihood - won't work is that Speigs really can't drive a show. He is a second guy, and with someone stronge driving the bus, he works ( I didn't mind Matt when he was with mac - thought it worked).

In this new show, Matt has to drive the whole thing, and he doesn't show that type of control - couldn't do it with Holmes, couodn't do it with any of the guest hosts and they stepped all around and over him. Mannelly will be looking for guidance, especially after football - and I'm not sure matt can be the driver of topics, issues and the pace of a show.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:00 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Maybe not a full shake-up. But a guy like Mannelly would only work with someone like Bernsie, Mac, or Boers.

Boers can't do it because he doesn't drive a show.

Mac is gone, obviously. So, that leaves Bernsie.

You then put Spiegel and Boers together with drinky or Laurence as a 3rd because both those guys miss a bunch of shows and there you go.

I agree a complete retooling would be bad. The score screwed up though with Mac. I think he officially won the game of chicken. Danny wants Larry because he is the best parrot he ever met. The station becomes intolerable at that point. Just can't listen to it. Goff would have been a much better choice but the brass said no. I can't believe I am saying this but I might listen to Finfer and ughhhh Harry's show over this mixed with the espn guys. Hi Mitch. You done screwed up can I buy you a drink though?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:01 pm 

didea wrote:
The core issue of why this - in all likelihood - won't work is that Speigs really can't drive a show. He is a second guy, and with someone stronge driving the bus, he works ( I didn't mind Matt when he was with mac - thought it worked).

In this new show, Matt has to drive the whole thing, and he doesn't show that type of control - couldn't do it with Holmes, couodn't do it with any of the guest hosts and they stepped all around and over him. Mannelly will be looking for guidance, especially after football - and I'm not sure matt can be the driver of topics, issues and the pace of a show.

Bingo. Pat Man without spiegs and bitter fill ins because meat has a show might be the worst show ever.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:14 pm 

Ignoring for a moment the fact that Mannely was just a bad choice in general...

Even though he played for the Bears, it's not like Mannely is a household name. Aside from pretty hardcore fans, most probably don't even know who Mannely is. This is not Waddle or even Jim Miller.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
leashyourkids wrote:
Ignoring for a moment the fact that Mannely was just a bad choice in general...

Even though he played for the Bears, it's not like Mannely is a household name. Aside from pretty hardcore fans, most probably don't even know who Mannely is. This is not Waddle or even Jim Miller.

I would bet most people who listen to 670 know who Pat is.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:26 pm 

This pair to me speaks of something short-term. I really can't imagine Spiegs and Mannelly talking extensively about Bulls and Hawks, or covering spring training.

IMO, if you had a decision to make between Rozner, Drinky, and Mannelly, the problem isn't who they decided on, its who the contenders were in the first place.

The station is totally devoid of talent. It will be interesting how long they sit by as they get killed in the mornings w/ this pairing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:59 pm 

pizza_Place: J.B. Alberto's
There is no doubt that this situation was screaming for a bold move. Interest in your station is waning and your best host has had one foot out the door for pretty much ever. Either you give Mac what ever be wants to return, or you go get somebody damn good to replace him. MAKE A FUCKING SPLASH!!! Instead what happens? Mac walks and you make an uninspired choice out of a lackluster pool of replacements after a clumsy two month open tryout. Barring the notion that there is more than meets the eye (or ear) with Mannelly, this is a huge miss.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
leashyourkids wrote:

Yeah, a full shake up wouldn't be the answer. Doc made a good point earlier - radio has a lot to do with familiarity.

Perhaps, but I'm familiar enough already with 'bad'; not sure a continuation of the trend downward will quite do the trick.

Essentially, this was management giving us the ol' Gabbo treatment ... that oughta hold those SOBs.

That said I saw someone say they hope this crashes and burns. That's stupid. I hope we're all proven to be idiots and the show is great ... it'd be nice to have something to listen to. Do I think that's possible? Only in the sense that it's possible to win the lottery ... it's technically possible.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:29 pm 

Bernstein tweeted a welcome to Mannely, and 90% of the responses are people saying how they won't be listening to the Score anymore. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:44 pm 
1000 CLUB

MajorKong wrote:
There is no doubt that this situation was screaming for a bold move. Interest in your station is waning and your best host has had one foot out the door for pretty much ever. Either you give Mac what ever be wants to return, or you go get somebody damn good to replace him. MAKE A FUCKING SPLASH!!! Instead what happens? Mac walks and you make an uninspired choice out of a lackluster pool of replacements after a clumsy two month open tryout. Barring the notion that there is more than meets the eye (or ear) with Mannelly, this is a huge miss.

As much as this choice is a desperate move to appeal to Bears fans, I don't know who they make a splash with. Abbattacola is a producer, not a radio host. Grote and his imitations would wear thin quickly, and Rozner, while probably the safest choice, doesn't excite anyone.

I don't see Goff as a splash, so who would be on the splash list?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:50 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
BD wrote:

Daryl Hannah?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:59 pm 

pizza_Place: J.B. Alberto's
BD wrote:
MajorKong wrote:

As much as this choice is a desperate move to appeal to Bears fans, I don't know who they make a splash with. Abbattacola is a producer, not a radio host. Grote and his imitations would wear thin quickly, and Rozner, while probably the safest choice, doesn't excite anyone.

They should have been looking into outside talent.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
My real hope was a complete shake-up - move some guys around, mix people up, make it more interesting.

You could bring Mannelly in if you pair him with a guy like Bernstein, put Boers with Hanley maybe, stick Mully and Spiegel together or at the very least put Boers & Spiegel together with a 3rd guy like drinky.

Something like that would have kept my interest.

Exactly. The worst thing that Management can do is to not recognize when a major reorganization is necessary. The Score needs a major reorg.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next