It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The State Of The Score
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:02 pm 

The station has not been less engaging since the days of Telander's show with the accompanying cast of reporters. There is nothing cohesive about the lineup as a whole and nothing compelling about the individual parts.

The alternatives are not much different and certainly not better.

The station will beat its chest about the ratings bump it receives during Bears season so I think this is a long term problem.

I have a sports sad right now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:11 pm 

As an aside, it seems like the overwhelming majority of on air sports talk talent is sitting on one year contracts right now.

Would you like a game of musical chairs?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
good dolphin wrote:
The station has not been less engaging since the days of Telander's show with the accompanying cast of reporters. There is nothing cohesive about the lineup as a whole and nothing compelling about the individual parts.

The station will beat its chest about the ratings bump it receives during Bears season so I think this is a long term problem.

Could not agree more with the assessment and the reaction.

Eloquent and erudite.

Who wrote it for you?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
It used to be Illinois, which was nice because I grew up in Illinois (Chicago, which is a city in Illinois) and developed my sports allegiances because of that.

But two guys from New Jersey and Georgia are hosting a show about Illinois teams. I mean, they aren't even Midwestern.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
America wrote:
It used to be Illinois, which was nice because I grew up in Illinois (Chicago, which is a city in Illinois) and developed my sports allegiances because of that.

But two guys from New Jersey and Georgia are hosting a show about Illinois teams. I mean, they aren't even Midwestern.

:lol: what?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
America wrote:

You were doing so well...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:15 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
IT'S NOT ILLINOIS ANYMORE?

IS THIS ISIS?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:18 pm 

America wrote:

I don't care about being a Chicagoan. I care about being entertained.

I loved Howard Stern's show. I've enjoyed plenty of national shows over the years (although rarely of the sports talk variety).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
The state of WSCR.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:21 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
IT'S NOT ILLINOIS ANYMORE?

IS THIS ISIS?

a listener to the smart sports fans station would call it ISIL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:42 pm 

Is there a single show that welcomes you to the station?

Is there a single show that really draws you to the station?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:46 pm 

What was worse?
Me calling Robin Ventura a "great hire".
good dolphin calling Spiegel a "good" or a "great" hire.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:49 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
What was worse?
Me calling Robin Ventura a "great hire".
good dolphin calling Spiegel a "good" or a "great" hire.

Spiegel had a proven track record in the job he was hired to perform and I enjoyed his work...still do.

Mannelly is more like the Ventura hire. It might work out. It might not. There were plenty of other proven commodities out there. On the other hand, I have as much experience as Mannelly at sports radio. I have more experience in public speaking. Hire me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
worst line-up in 20+ years. 180 opposite of what made the station in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:20 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Hatchetman wrote:
worst line-up in 20+ years. 180 opposite of what made the station in the first place.

You can't teach smart.

Which is kind of a telling statement when you think about it and most of the problem with the current state of The Score.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
Hatchetman wrote:

This is pretty much indisputable--unless you're Score management and have thus apparently swallowed Dan's self-aggrandizing shit about college degrees and thinking fans.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Dave In Champaign wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

This is pretty much indisputable--unless you're Score management and have thus apparently swallowed Dan's self-aggrandizing shit about college degrees and thinking fans.

I wonder if Dan calls Rod Zimmerman at inopportune times, like Flanders calling Reverend Lovejoy on vacation, just to thank him for having the courage not to be host-friendly to a fault. Can you imagine being this guy's boss?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
Curious Hair wrote:
Dave In Champaign wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

I wonder if Dan calls Rod Zimmerman at inopportune times, like Flanders calling Reverend Lovejoy on vacation, just to thank him for having the courage not to be host-friendly to a fault. Can you imagine being this guy's boss?

Mannelly's Wikipedia page says he was a 4-year starter at Duke, but are we sure he earned a degree?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:33 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Dave In Champaign wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Dave In Champaign wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Mannelly's Wikipedia page says he was a 4-year starter at Duke, but are we sure he earned a degree?

Don't worry the reflected glory of Bernstein's degree is worth at least 4 B.A.s from ISU. or 10 A.A. degrees from the Illinois Center for Broadcasting.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:35 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
If Bernsie even mentions Mannely's degree he is full of shit after his Coach K basketball classes rants.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:03 pm 

Tucker Max is probably the only person on this planet who did less with a Duke degree than Bernstein.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:12 am 
1000 CLUB

I don't have a much of a problem with the morning show. I like the guests that are on for the most part. I don't really care about listening to the midday show at any point. The afternoon show can be good, but Boers is a puppet and Bernstein has taken the show in a bad direction with his politics bleeding way too much into the show.

I'm in agreement with most on this board about Holmes. Hearing this guy the last few days talk slowly when acting as if he's about to make a big point, parroting Bernstein on Coach K hate, and just being sick of his fake radio laugh...what a tough listen.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:14 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Zizou wrote:
Tucker Max is probably the only person on this planet who did less with a Duke degree than Bernstein.

He used it to bang that MILFy IP lawyer from Fenwick West, didn't he?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:27 am 

good dolphin wrote:

Seems like a great time for an upstart third station.

Its right there for the taking...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:29 am 

pizza_Place: Joe's Pizza
I say the decline began around 2008 in the lead up to the November of elections. There was a subtle switch in tone with B&B, and the show became more political than it ever was. As Dan got infatuated with Twitter, so too did his minions. B&B led the way with Dan using Twitter both as a platform to attack the listener, as well as a source for "breaking" news. Slowly this trend began to spread through the other shows.

Cut to 5 years later, notice the subtle shift from being "The Voice of the Fan," to "No rubes allowed?" Notice too, how that slogan has not been heard in any bumpers as of late? It has gone from encouraging the fan to voice their thoughts, to the sycophantic mouthpiece of Billionaire owners who feel that the rubes should fund everything.

The decline follows Dan. He discovered Deadspin, and thus content began to shift. The Penn State events was where the turn gain momentum. Dan became a Social Justice Warrior who felt it was his duty, nay calling, to use the microphone to effect what? Change? I mean Chicago has child rapists hiding on every street corner and it is up to Dan to shine the disinfect of light on too it. The funny sound bites dropped into press conferences were replaced with in-depth pseudo intellectual conversation about "who won the press conference."

It is as if those in charge think they are programming NPR, not a 24 hour sports station. It is a station who has swallowed hook, line and sinker the canard that sports talk can transcend from who won last night, too reading verbatim from Baseball Perspectives. The station thinks it is smart, all the hosts are quick to tell you, but they are nothing more than coffee house intellectuals.

If the station was as smart as they proclaim themselves too be, they would notice that the more they have moved away from their origins, the more their ratings have dropped. This new show will not stem the slide, it will hasten it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:35 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Thats a good post no name. B&B was and still is great when they are just being idiots. Whether it is talking sports or anything else. The problem is that those moments that used to be commonplace are now the exception.

Bring back TB Diddler's and stop with the Bob from Niles shit. It's sad and it isnt remotely funny.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:41 am 

pizza_Place: Joe's Pizza
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Thats a good post no name. B&B was and still is great when they are just being idiots. Whether it is talking sports or anything else. The problem is that those moments that used to be commonplace are now the exception.

Bring back TB Diddler's and stop with the Bob from Niles shit. It's sad and it isnt remotely funny.

Bob from Niles has too go. Funny, a show that prides itself on it "liberal"* agenda, has no problem putting on someone who is clearly not firing on all cylinders (no not Terry). Bob calling in every once in a while was funny, but the more they tried to make him a staple, the more it became sad.

I could understand phasing out things like TB Diddler's. It was funny when the show was on 2 hours a day, but at the prime hours the show claims, I can see doing away with it. Sadly all the humor has been taken out of the show.

* Note I am not trying to interject politics into this. Dan has done this. He fits the profile of a classic city liberal. He likes to think he is enlighten and progressive, but in fact he is more vile then the people he speaks out against.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:00 am 

pizza_Place: Barnaby's
noname2011 wrote:
If the station was as smart as they proclaim themselves too be, they would notice that the more they have moved away from their origins, the more their ratings have dropped.

The original programming lineup for The Score Sports Radio 820AM from 1992:
Tom Shaer
Dan Jiggets and Mike North
Dan McNeil and Terry Boers/Brian Hanley
Mike Murphy*

*820AM broadcast contingent on time of sunset

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
WindyCityBreeze wrote:
noname2011 wrote:
If the station was as smart as they proclaim themselves too be, they would notice that the more they have moved away from their origins, the more their ratings have dropped.

The original programming lineup for The Score Sports Radio 820AM from 1992:
Tom Shaer
Dan Jiggets and Mike North
Dan McNeil and Terry Boers/Brian Hanley
Mike Murphy*

*820AM broadcast contingent on time of sunset

Yup, Shaer was (and continued to be) very vanilla. Jiggets and North i wouldn't have bet on one way or the other. McNeil and company hadn't congealed into the Heavy Fuel Crew (yet.) That left Mike Murphy as the only entertainment-centric show they had.

Jiggs and North would eventually morph into something entertaining/meatballish, although I never liked the product.

Anyway, today's Score is just more of the same, compare to the Day One lineup.