It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Kirkwood wrote:
If Hanley can be on the air so can drinky .

While I agree Hanley has a just as bad, if not worse, "can't talk" problem, Hanley still has that columnist status that seems to carry a lot of weight at The Score.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:43 pm 

Reared on the Score wrote:
Hanley still has that columnist status that seems to carry a lot of weight at The Score.

The cover band status carries much more weight.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Most Score Employees and most employees in general have ZERO leverage when looking for a new deal or new job. It's a terrible thing. Most employers use it to a serious advantage.

My first job I was put in the situation of losing my salary and going 100% commission. It put my in a bad situation, as the only reason it was done, was because I had a salary and did very well on my commissions, they figured they could cut my salary and I still wouldnt leave.

I took the deal, then went looking for another job, got another offer, then went back to HR asked for my salary back, they said no. I gave my immediate notice. I was asked for 2 weeks notice, because they said it was standard and I just stated that nothing is standard, especially giving someone the choice of A) New Structure and B) No Job.

Everytime you read something about looking for a raise or promotion, they have all these points of advice and never does it say...Go look for another job FIRST. See what you find, maybe even get an offer.

You dont need to burn a bridge this way, you can say it was just business just as the company did to you. Smile while you give them the finger under your shirt!

Large companies want you to be comfortable, they want you to stay on their terms and they count on you just taking it.

Afterall, THE WANT TO KEEP THEIR ANTITRUST STATUS!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:46 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
Hanley still has that columnist status that seems to carry a lot of weight at The Score.

TRIBUTE BAND!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:48 pm 

bigfan wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

TRIBUTE BAND!!!!!!

:lol: :lol:

That is such a joke. They have music stands up there for crying out loud. When you "become" someone, the music stands have to go.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:48 pm 

Id think Drinky would be a good salesman or bartender

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:51 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Id think Drinky would be a good salesman or bartender

he was

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:57 am 

pizza_Place: Barnaby's
Being the Executive Producer of arguably the most important show on the station is not a bad gig. As far as being an on-air personality, the worst thing would be for him to drastically change his style and adopt a phony personality and try to be someone else on-air. Most listeners are savvy enough to detect phony-sounding broadcasters. As long as he sounds genuine, I think he will be fine. My only criticism of his work as an on-air host is that sometimes he is too "thin-skinned" with callers.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
bigfan wrote:
Most Score Employees and most employees in general have ZERO leverage when looking for a new deal or new job. It's a terrible thing. Most employers use it to a serious advantage.

My first job I was put in the situation of losing my salary and going 100% commission. It put my in a bad situation, as the only reason it was done, was because I had a salary and did very well on my commissions, they figured they could cut my salary and I still wouldnt leave.

I took the deal, then went looking for another job, got another offer, then went back to HR asked for my salary back, they said no. I gave my immediate notice. I was asked for 2 weeks notice, because they said it was standard and I just stated that nothing is standard, especially giving someone the choice of A) New Structure and B) No Job.

Everytime you read something about looking for a raise or promotion, they have all these points of advice and never does it say...Go look for another job FIRST. See what you find, maybe even get an offer.

You dont need to burn a bridge this way, you can say it was just business just as the company did to you. Smile while you give them the finger under your shirt!

Large companies want you to be comfortable, they want you to stay on their terms and they count on you just taking it.

I don't know if I've ever said this, but I agree 100% with bigfan. My pet peeve is when people talk about loyalty to a company. I may have loyalty to people IN a company but not to the company itself. We are all free agents. The only way to produce leverage is to be very good at what you do and to shop around. Few people are willing to do it, but I think the younger generations are more open to the idea. Simply asking for a raise or promotion with no options is futile.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
leashyourkids wrote:
My pet peeve is when people talk about loyalty to a company. I may have loyalty to people IN a company but not to the company itself. We are all free agents.

Company loyalty used to be a respectable two-way street. Not so in a world of "you should just be lucky you even HAVE a job!"

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:37 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
My pet peeve is when people talk about loyalty to a company. I may have loyalty to people IN a company but not to the company itself. We are all free agents.

Company loyalty used to be a respectable two-way street. Not so in a world of "you should just be lucky you even HAVE a job!"

Haaaa... you're spot on CH.

Even worse is when a person says "I'm just lucky to have a job!" Have a little self-respect. If that's true, then go get better at what you do. Or at least TRY to think of ways in which a company is lucky to have you as opposed to the other way around.

And I also agree with your first point, CH, but that mindset was likely more prevalent when there were a lot more smaller companies and people were on a first name basis with the owner, and he gave them all holiday bonuses and helped them out with kids and time off and all that shit. That deserves loyalty. Today's faceless corporations do not. I work for one, but I don't for one second have any kind of "loyalty" to them beyond being very good at what I do and receiving compensation for it. I've told anyone who has ever reported to me that they should feel the same way.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:18 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
WindyCityBreeze wrote:
Being the Executive Producer of arguably the most important show on the station is not a bad gig. As far as being an on-air personality, the worst thing would be for him to drastically change his style and adopt a phony personality and try to be someone else on-air. Most listeners are savvy enough to detect phony-sounding broadcasters. As long as he sounds genuine, I think he will be fine. My only criticism of his work as an on-air host is that sometimes he is too "thin-skinned" with callers.

Hello Mrs. Abattacola, welcome to the board.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:05 am 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
bigfan wrote:
.Go look for another job FIRST. See what you find, maybe even get an offer.

Amen to that. You know that the only reason a company has you on the books is because they deem it profitable to do so. When it is not, they will restructure the terms or just kick you to the side. There is no loyalty to John Boardposter. Therefore, you do not need to give them any loyalty. You find a job yourself and then tell them you are leaving because the terms that they have operated under are no longer in your best interest. You take the power by owning the situation yourself. I've never seen a bridge burnt under such a scenario (other than where the manager was not all there to begin with in the first place.) Everyone knows that you need to take care of your personal situation and will respect almost any reason you provide for doing so, especially if it involves more money.

If Drinky really wanted a full time on-air gig, I am sure he could find one somewhere, but it probably would be in a smaller market, and I would also guess at less money than he is making now. It would also be a completely fresh start, so he'd have to kiss away the past 10-15 years of friendships he's made at the Score, and if he didn't succeed as an on-air host in the first six months to a year, he would probably just be fired without any sort of producer net to fall back on like he has at the Score. Drinky also has a wife and kid(s?) now so I'm sure he is considering job stability more than he would have ten years ago. It may be one of those things where he'd like to be on the air but the current situation of producing with being on the air 15 days out of the year is enough to scratch that itch while keeping a stable job to support his family. Only Drinky can answer these questions, and there's no real reason for him to want to air it out on a message board that I can see.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:04 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
drinky is a solid. Bernstein tainted him as his old frat boy persona was good stuff. Away from Bernstein he is a fine alright listen. If Hanley can be on the air so can drinky

He expanded his role by taking on H&R and is a willingly fill-ins. Bitchtits will continue his coverband career enabling drink to fill-in and then permanently take that spot.

You can't be serious. "WILLINGLY"? Really? I hear a LOT of bitching from drinky about doing various shifts, how it's impacted his ability to do Hit and Run (he has to play off his absences there as a joke that he doesn't like Rozner), when he does fill in on the midday show he will always leave transition early because there is an earlier train he'd like to catch, the list goes on.

I just don't know how you can call what he does into a mic "solid" at this point. Most of it is mock radio - mock the topic, mock the listener, mock the caller, mock the co-host, mock the job, mock everything. He's too cool for everything. And, of course, taking a page out of Bernstein's book he will occasionally open up and let everyone in on a real meatball type behavior he partakes in - because, you know, that's so crazy that a guy who mocks everything would actually do something that he mocks!!!!! Woah, crazy.

I believe beardown is a very scary being, I really do - but the one thing I've seen that idiot post that is true is the boggling amount of "ummms" that this 40-something year-old man utters into a mic, when given the chance. It's crazy. This guy was literally doing testimonials for a broadcasting school, this guy is apparently trying to make a life in front of the mic, and he cannot nail down one of the absolute basics of speaking into a mic. From what I've heard, there are, um, many ways to, ahhh, to buy your brain some time to, ahhh, to catch up with your, ummm, mouth - but much like his childlike need to start packing up his backpack way before anyone else (to be the first one out the door) during his on-air shifts, it's painfully clear that the guy doesn't want to do any work to remedy a very basic radio shortcoming.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:27 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
bigfan wrote:

TL;DR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
I was tempted to create a new thread 'Should Beardown leave the board?' but I don't want to become what I hate.

I already did this. Worst. Thread. Ever.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:23 pm 
1000 CLUB

Dreday wrote:
This was the prefect opportunity to give Matty a hosting job and they passed him up for a guy who literally just came off the Bears. It's not the first time they've pulled chit like this either.

If I were him, I'd jump ship.

For where? If he had a chance, he may have missed it by not jumping to the new station. I don't think he's much of a bump (if any) from the guys who already left the Score.

It's clear he doesn't have a future as a regular host on the Score, but with all the defections he's now 2nd or 3rd off the bench.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:31 pm 
1000 CLUB

BD wrote:
Dreday wrote:
This was the prefect opportunity to give Matty a hosting job and they passed him up for a guy who literally just came off the Bears. It's not the first time they've pulled chit like this either.

If I were him, I'd jump ship.

For where? If he had a chance, he may have missed it by not jumping to the new station. I don't think he's much of a bump (if any) from the guys who already left the Score.

It's clear he doesn't have a future as a regular host on the Score, but with all the defections he's now 2nd or 3rd off the bench.

That's the point people always miss. Easy to say "Jump". Jump where? :lol: Don't you think he would have by now if somebody else in town wanted him? Nobody wants him is the point.

I think other stations say "Christ, if the Score doesn't want him after knowing him for 13 years, why the hell would we?" That and it's clear to all that drinky is stupid. That's actually the main reason.

Hell, like you said, he's only back on the air at the Score cuz Finfer, Connor and Goff jumped. You didn't hear much from him when these guys were above him.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:39 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
leashyourkids wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Haaaa... you're spot on CH.

Even worse is when a person says "I'm just lucky to have a job!" Have a little self-respect. If that's true, then go get better at what you do. Or at least TRY to think of ways in which a company is lucky to have you as opposed to the other way around.

And I also agree with your first point, CH, but that mindset was likely more prevalent when there were a lot more smaller companies and people were on a first name basis with the owner, and he gave them all holiday bonuses and helped them out with kids and time off and all that shit. That deserves loyalty. Today's faceless corporations do not. I work for one, but I don't for one second have any kind of "loyalty" to them beyond being very good at what I do and receiving compensation for it. I've told anyone who has ever reported to me that they should feel the same way.

The times they are a changing. Again.

I'm guessing leash that if you went to the HR directors of ten companies and asked if they were having trouble finding qualified candidates, the answer would be a resounding yes. Finding qualified candidates that have a work ethic is even tougher.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:52 pm 

I don't disagree. Just ask Mitch Rosen.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:27 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Drinky has no discernible ability, skills or valuable experience. He will be Bernstein's cabana boy until he's collecting Social Security.

For his sake, I hope not.

I think that was praise.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:28 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
If Hanley can be on the air so can drinky .

While I agree Hanley has a just as bad, if not worse, "can't talk" problem, Hanley still has that columnist status that seems to carry a lot of weight at The Score.

God damn you people. Mully is the problem. Mully. Mully is the worst. I'm not saying Hanley is good or anything, mind you, but Mully is the problem. He's awful in literally every way.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?