It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:08 am 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
Douchebag wrote:
Scorehead wrote:
Those other stations didn't start with the ratings that they ended with.

Wrong again:

Quote:
Q87.7 debuted almost a year ago, what have been the highlights of the first year on-air?
PJ: Well, we signed on May 6 (2012), and hit our November ratings projections by July (That's in 2 months, SH), so that was definitely a high-five moment. The biggest highlight for me, though, was our first Christmas show last December. We had no idea what to expect with our first show, and managed to sell it out in eight days. Then, come show day, the place was packed almost from moment one, and to hear 5,000 people even sing along to the music we played in-between bands…the vibe was amazing, and it really showed evidence of a community we had hoped we had been building.

After all the dust has settled, Q87.7 currently has essentially the same ratings share that Q101 did in the first place (2.1 AQH Persons 6+ in March), but with a weaker signal. What have been the challenges with the 87.7 LP frequency?
PJ: Well, to be fair, we're a low-power TV station, not a low-power FM. So, while many LPFMs have signal issues, ours is more of a "radio issue." Not every radio tunes past 87.9, but if yours does, you can hear us pretty clearly to about 80 miles outside the city. But that radio issue has certainly manifested itself in the form of smaller cume than what Q101 had, which we expected when we launched. We've been fortunate, though, to have made up for it (and then some) in TSL.

http://www.fmqb.com/article.asp?id=2645342

I hear what you are saying, but they took 100% of q101's listeners because there was no other options available. If espn and the score were gone, The Game would see a similar spike. Wgn still needs a signal and is looking for one, that can't be debated. If they have piss poor programming, well that can be.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:12 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
I enjoy Finfer and Quigs. They are not groundbreaking radio but they're aware of pop culture happenings after 1995.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Barnaby's
My personal observation has been that I can receive the signal for The Game equally well as The Score and WMVP on a car radio, but the signal for The Game is harder to pick up on a portable radio compared to the signals of the other two stations.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:15 pm 

I can't get it at all on my sports Walkman. Pisses me off

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Larz comments on The Game.

Larz
Tuesday, September 09 2014, 12:11 AM - #permalink

Larz, why didn't WGN make 87.7 an entertainment/comedy/freeform station with Johnny B and Garry Meier as morning and afternoon drivers?

Quick answer: Ignorance (and overly-inflated ego) on the part of station upper management.

There isn't enough time or space to give the long answer. Here's the Reader's Digest version: Bringing full-time sports to WGN Radio was an idea floated long before de Castro was hired. It was talked about on this website, when many of the main people behind that idea slipped that information to me. Jimmy de Castro was sure that he could lure away the mighty Mitch Rosen away from CBS Radio to handle operating a new sports station. Rosen (perhaps wisely) stayed with the security of CBS Radio. At that point, de Castro should have dropped the sports station idea and gone with the idea you just put out there, RadioNerd. He didn't. He hired a person with almost no programming experience (except for a few months in St. Louis) and zero sports programming experience to quickly assemble a sports station. De Castro himself has zero experience programming a sports station. (I know he was the boss when WMVP-AM was launched, but he had nothing directly to do with its programming. Golfing with Dan Patrick and getting him to agree to let de Castro syndicate a new show for a year doesn't count either.) WGN sports station's results speak for themselves. Believe it or not, I applauded them for giving it a shot. They just ended up shooting themselves in the foot instead and now refuse to admit they screwed up.

There is indeed room for a third full-time sports station in Chicago if it is done right. The Game 87.7 is a blueprint for some future owner on how to do it wrong.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:46 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Larz wrote:
De Castro himself has zero experience programming a sports station. (I know he was the boss when WMVP-AM was launched, but he had nothing directly to do with its programming. Golfing with Dan Patrick and getting him to agree to let de Castro syndicate a new show for a year doesn't count either.)

No experience.

Except for one of the most popular stations in the history of Chicago in the late 1980s/early 1990s and one of the most popular sports personalities in the United States.

But, other than that.....no experience.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Hank Scorpio wrote:
So all The Game has to do is:

Change frequency
Change lineup
Advertise more

Sounds like a great plan so far!!

Mike Nort wrote:
And more billboards.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
I put on WDCB just now and they're playing a piano trio arrangement of Bob Marley's "No Woman, No Cry."

As per the PPMs, there is a good chance more people are hearing this than the Game.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:35 pm 

What's with Larz? Is he just a rabid radio consumer or a guy in the business? His comments reek of contempt for the what he perceives as the hubris of those behind THE GAME. Like he's mad no one consulted him about how to start up and operate the station.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Zizou wrote:
What's with Larz? Is he just a rabid radio consumer or a guy in the business? His comments reek of contempt for the what he perceives as the hubris of those behind THE GAME. Like he's mad no one consulted him about how to start up and operate the station.

Not sure but he is a sensitive douche. His response when I predicted that Mac would leave the Score was vintage Larz.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:39 am 

Zizou wrote:

Lars has been made at the world since he warred against napster. I mean you too would be angry if you were from Denmark where the average height is 6'2" and you were 5'1".

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:08 am 

pizza_Place: Barnaby's
I hope The Game 87.7 is somehow able to establish itself. The presence of a third sports talk station in town is nice because nothing makes me want to tune out The Score 670 faster than when it broadcasts the Sox games, and for that matter ESPN1000 when it broadcasts the Bulls games.