It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
This probably reads better than it sounded, and there's a lot of sour grapes in there but I like the vitriol. I wish this had been on regular radio. From Robert Feder:

If Steve Dahl ever considers making a comeback on terrestrial radio, you can be sure it won’t be on WGN AM 720.

In a 10-minute rant on his daily podcast Friday, the Chicago radio legend excoriated the Tribune Media news/talk station and directed particular vitriol at his former boss, Jimmy deCastro, now president and general manager of WGN.

“It’s like the worst radio station ever now,” Dahl told listeners. “It’s as bad as it was when I got to town in 1978, only it’s people my age and younger doing it — committing these heinous broadcasting crimes.”

Saying “it’s time to dial up the hatred,” Dahl called Bill Leff and Wendy Snyder “the world’s worst afternoon show,” and Steve Cochran a “fucking dipshit,” among other things.

What set him off was a photograph posted on Marianne Murciano’s Facebook page of WGN employees assembled in front of the station for the dedication of Cubs broadcaster Pat Hughes’ plaque on the WGN Walk of Fame. Kneeling front and center in the photo are deCastro and Todd Manley, vice president of content and programming.

“You know they’ve got that fake WGN Walk of Fame or whatever, which is classic Jim deCastro,” Dahl said. “I refuse to call him ‘Jimmy’ because he’s a grown man. It’s like the whole WGN staff out there. The great Bill Leff and Wendy Snyder, the world’s worst afternoon show. It’s to honor Pat Hughes, right? But he’s in the back row, and out in front is Jim deCastro, like posing. I wanted to write on Marianne’s post: ‘When did Jim deCastro announce for the Cubs?’ . . . That guy’s such a fucking glory hog.”

Added Dahl: “When I saw that picture, I was: ‘Really, man? Really, Jim? You’re out in front?’ He looked liked he was in one of those Russian dances, you know, where they get down on one knee and the other leg’s extended. He was stealing all of the thunder of everybody else in the photo — including Pat Hughes, the guy who was allegedly being honored on the fake Walk of Fame.”

The Radio Hall of Famer became a millionaire working for deCastro at WLUP FM 97.9 in the ’80s and ’90s, but apparently that’s all water under the Loop. “Jim deCastro made his bones off of Steve and Garry, Johnny Brandmeier, other people’s talent.,” Dahl said. “And now he acts like he’s the talent behind that radio station. It’s really weird. And then he’s out in front of everybody, making this hammy pose.”

Dahl also ripped WGN for dropping the Cubs broadcast rights and then honoring Hughes on his way out. “They’re acting like it’s a happy occasion,” he said. “It’s gonna end up being a huge mistake. . . . First off, it was a really bad idea to not re-sign them [the Cubs] because that means more Wendy Snyder and Bill Leff every afternoon. When John Williams is the best guy you have on the air, you’ve got big problems — with all due respect to Bob [Sirott] and Marianne [Murciano].”

One more shot: “If you listen, like every other commercial is ‘Hey, I just had my gutters repaired by so-and-so, or I just had my, you know, poontang hair removed by so-and-so.’ Stop. Everybody stop. Just stop. Turn it off. Turn it off!”

The picture:

The link:
http://www.robertfeder.com/2014/09/28/steve-dahl-calls-wgn-worst-radio-station-ever/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:20 pm 

Bad thoughts. Dahl would work there in a second if they offered him a job.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:40 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Cochran's response via Feder:

Dear Steve,

Never heard your podcast but I read Feder every day.

We both know your goal here is to use us to get someone to subscribe to your “show.” Can’t help you there.

But I’m sure when you read this you will at least have some new material.

Why so bitter, Steve? You had a nice run. Enjoy your golden years.

Maybe break out some old tapes and listen when Bill and Wendy were on your show. You were occasionally funny then. Or listen to how you sounded when you worked for deCastro because you certainly must know he didn’t need you . . . you needed him.

So Jimmy didn’t hire you. It’s not the end of the world. Maybe someone will. Or has everyone said no already?

Come to think of it, WGN would never have worked for you even if you had a show. Everyone is happy to be working for Jimmy. You could never work in an environment like that.

So we’ll keep winning and you keep whining. But definitely keep analyzing photos like you did about the Pat Hughes picture. Radio Photo Analysis . . . good bit.

Oh and thanks for listening.

Steve Cochran, Mornings
 720 WGN

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Peoria Matt wrote:

All I need to read to know this guy is a stroke.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:51 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
bigfan wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

Agreed. Brutal.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:15 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
bigfan wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

Agreed. Brutal.

Maybe.

But podcast glory is just a short step above what David Hernandez was peddling, no?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:32 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Dahl is just one of those guys that I could never break bad on...too formulative from my youth to who I am.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:39 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Dahl is just one of those guys that I could never break bad on...too formulative from my youth to who I am.

In a lot of ways though, Dahl has become everything he mocked back when we were kids who loved him. It's nice to read about him firing on WGN like this, regardless of what his motives might be. And Cochran really is a dipshit if he actually believes deCastro made Dahl rather than Dahl making DeCastro. Hell, I think Dahl might even have created some of "The Deacon" mythology on his show.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:08 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere

I too loved Dahl & "Meirs" back in the late 70's but that was a looong time ago. I feel Dahl lost his way ages ago. His show turned into a bitch fest on how nobody appreciates his genius. He was mean towards his partners wife on the air. His nepotism was worse than any Chicago politico. Getting radio gigs for his obnoxious wife and no talent son. F 'him!! I'm with Cochran on this one. Also,I could give a rat's ass where Hughes is standing!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:14 am 

I just had my, you know, poontang hair removed by so-and-so.’

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:15 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

In a lot of ways though, Dahl has become everything he mocked back when we were kids who loved him. It's nice to read about him firing on WGN like this, regardless of what his motives might be. And Cochran really is a dipshit if he actually believes deCastro made Dahl rather than Dahl making DeCastro. Hell, I think Dahl might even have created some of "The Deacon" mythology on his show.

I thought I read that wrong and had to go back.

That's like saying PigVomit made Howard Stern

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:05 am 

pizza_Place: Lucano's
By the time Wendy was on Dahl's show, I had already bailed on the Stever. However, in my limited exposure to Bill Leff, I would have to put that idiot on the Mt. Rushmore of lame/vanilla radio hosts. He sucks. Cochran is a "fucking dipshit" as Dahl said, though I did like the catfight aspect to his response. But to me, Cochran sounds like he's doing a bad Letterman impression.

Overall, I agree more with Dahl. WGN is still "play it safe" radio with ultra bland hosts who cater to the old ladies from Cicero who smoke 2 packs of Camel unfiltereds.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:35 am 

Ed_from_Lisle wrote:
However, in my limited exposure to Bill Leff, I would have to put that idiot on the Mt. Rushmore of lame/vanilla radio hosts. He sucks. .

I'm looking for a 4th for the failed comedian turned radio host Mt. Insipid. Currently we have Harry, Spike and Bill Leff.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:37 am 

Jim De Castro played a role in bringing the talent together in one place. However, everyone but Kevin Matthews was already a known quantity. It would be like Satan Elf being credited for creating Posada, Jeter, Pettite and Rivera.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:38 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Richard Roeper? Was it JORR who said that reading Roeper is like getting the opinions of the most boring person at the bar?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:39 am 

Peoria Matt wrote:

Dear Steve,

We both know your goal here is to use us to get someone to subscribe to your “show.” Can’t help you there.

Maybe break out some old tapes and listen when Bill and Wendy were on your show. You were occasionally funny then. Or listen to how you sounded when you worked for deCastro because you certainly must know he didn’t need you . . . you needed him.

So Jimmy didn’t hire you. It’s not the end of the world. Maybe someone will. Or has everyone said no already?

Come to think of it, WGN would never have worked for you even if you had a show. Everyone is happy to be working for Jimmy. You could never work in an environment like that.

So we’ll keep winning and you keep whining. But definitely keep analyzing photos like you did about the Pat Hughes picture. Radio Photo Analysis . . . good bit.

Steve Cochran, Mornings
 720 WGN

This is really the same thing Bernstein to Mc Neil. Smooch, smooch, smooch bosses!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:45 am 
Site Admin

Curious Hair wrote:
Richard Roeper? Was it JORR who said that reading Roeper is like getting the opinions of the most boring person at the bar?

Yeah, but I was quoting a letter to the Reader from a woman who wrote in after Roeper criticized the Dove real women campaign. I wish I could take credit for it myself.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:48 am 

Ill just leave this here for BigFan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
This whole story is without merit until Larzie releases the "official" story on CRAM.com. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:23 am 

pizza_Place: Bruno's
Things seem to change at a glacial pace in Chicago media. Steve Dahl dissing "GN." Landecker still around and kicking, ditto Bob Sirott and Tommy Skilling... Chicago radio and TV is close to becoming a septuagenarian club.

It seems like the only major change over the past 30 years has been Deborah Norville moving up to the national stage. Formerly Dahl's #1 "news fox" on his list.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:50 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Peoria Matt wrote:

Dear Steve,

Steve Cochran, Mornings
 720 WGN
Cochran has every right to respond after being called out but really dude, you are one of the worst radio hosts in Chicago history.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:52 am 
Site Admin

badrogue17 wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

Dear Steve,

Steve Cochran, Mornings
 720 WGN
Cochran has every right to respond after being called out but really dude, you are one of the worst radio hosts in Chicago history.

Yeah, you can't really dispel the notion that you're a dipshit by responding like you're a dipshit.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:58 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Or listen to how you sounded when you worked for deCastro because you certainly must know he didn’t need you . . . you needed him.

Indefensible

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:40 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Cochran basically functions as assistant PD over there and is said to be partly responsible for bringing back John Williams, dumping Garry Meier, and pushing Pete McMurray and Patty Vazquez. Interesting rise back to the top for a guy who was off doing afternoons at bumfucking WIND a year or two ago.

He actually seemed okay about ten years ago, but now just sounds sleepy and lazy and boring as hell. I don't get it.

Last edited by Curious Hair on Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:41 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Curious Hair wrote:
Cochran basically functions as assistant PD over there and is said to be partly responsible for bringing back John Williams, dumping Garry Meier, and pushing Pete McMurray and Patty Vazquez. Interesting rise back to the top for a guy who was off doing afternoons at bumfucking WIND a year or two ago.

Well if those moves have his stamp on them he'll be back to WIND pretty soon.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:22 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
"thanks for listening" is what i remember david "kap" kaplan telling me when i had to let him know that his evil-david-kaplan goatee was making me laugh. i got the "thanks for listening" after he said "my wife likes it" which is just face-n-hands territory over here.

btw, that goatee was gone within a day or two of my mentioning that to him. his wife didn't like it THAT much, evidently.

but yeah, steve cochran is from that david kaplan/WGN school of "kiss the ring" yuppiedom, which also boasts guys like tom waddle, who are automatic non-listens for me. i cant do it. and to all you dahl guys who have seen him become what he hated, well, stern is our analogue for that over here. it's sad but it's inevitable.... didn't one of the monty pythoners have a quote about this when he was forced back to go make a recent reunion cashgrab?