It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dahl is back
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Already scrubbed from the website. They never waste time, do they?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
good dolphin wrote:
They seemed like a couple of old retirees talking about going down to Florida when it got cold, what they did with their grandchildren that weekend and how well they played at the country club. Maybe that is enjoyable shit but I don't want to hear about it on the radio.

Change it a little bit, and you are talking about Howard and Robin.

They seemed like a couple of old retirees talking about going down to the Caribbean when it got cold, what they did with their pets that weekend, and how much fun they had at a party on Long Island. Maybe that is enjoyable shit but I don't want to hear about it on the radio.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:26 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

What are bigfan's journalistic ethics?

All Information is alleged and 100% Unreliable

<º)))><

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:33 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Hot damn.

This puts a lot of puzzle pieces together: why did Dahl decide to talk shit about Bill Leff for no reason? Why did WGN put Garry Meier on the shelf? Roe's going to WGN.

Roe's numbers have dropped like a rock over the last three years. I'm not so sure that GN will roll out a welcome mat unless he is willing to work on 13 week contracts and a large pay cut.

And I think Roe WOULD jump at that.

Have you cleared any of these opinions with Larry Horowitz of Chicagolandsportsandmedia?

<º)))><

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
rogers park bryan wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
There is no reason with Dahl either.

Well they did have a falling out though. It may be stupid but its a reason.

With Roe its just like "Not partners anymore so fuck you"
Actually they did have a very public falling out. Garry maintained that he & Roe had an agreement that they would either both stay or both go somewhere else. That was supposed to give them leverage in negotiations. When Roe caved and signed, Garry was hung out to dry and soon out of a job. He vented on some local PBS show that had Roe stuck with him another few days it would have been resolved. He also claimed it wasn't a money issue (take that for what it's worth).

IIRC, part of why Garry was so stead-fast was that WLS low-balled him on the initial contract as they tested the waters of the new partnership. Garry felt they had proven themselves and deserved some recompense.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:37 pm 

Basically, Meier played some Nashian game theory and lost.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:43 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Actually they did have a very public falling out. Garry maintained that he & Roe had an agreement that they would either both stay or both go somewhere else. That was supposed to give them leverage in negotiations. When Roe caved and signed, Garry was hung out to dry and soon out of a job. He vented on some local PBS show that had Roe stuck with him another few days it would have been resolved. He also claimed it wasn't a money issue (take that for what it's worth).

IIRC, part of why Garry was so stead-fast was that WLS low-balled him on the initial contract as they tested the waters of the new partnership. Garry felt they had proven themselves and deserved some recompense.

$12M over ten years was recompense. And Roe was proven right with the decision he made.

Garry and his wife tried to blame Roe for what history has proven to be, a gross over playing of half a hand.

And then Garry stiffed Todd Musburger of payment for all of the work he did to negotiate the deal. of course, Tod was wrong also.

Garry Meier. Perpetual victim. Of Himself.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

There were also some shennanigans by ABC wherein they attempted to extend the show to 5 hours (I guess Roe and Garry both had 4 hours built into their contracts) by having Garry host 2-3 solo, then together from 3-6, then 6-7 Roe solo.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:46 pm 

Yeah, I remember that, too, but I thought it was the other way around. Maybe not. I just remember being in the car one night in 2000 and hearing Garry Meier do an hour of horrible radio. I think they eventually gave the 6 p.m. hour to Bill Cameron.

And once again, get a load of this fuckin' guy:

Quote:
Word of the exit of Conn and Roeper was leaked yesterday to a local blogger, which may have played a role in expediting the duo's departure from the radio station's airwaves. After that blog appeared publicly, the two were told they were no longer needed at WLS-AM.

You hear that, Feder, you local blogger? It's all your fault Roe Conn didn't get to say goodbye!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
On one incarnation of Larz's board, he used to copy/paste the day's Feder article, put the link at the end, and discussion would follow in the thread. I don't think Feder particularily cared, or knew, perhaps. He was still in the Sun Times or Trib, and getting paid based on print and clicks within the paper's site. When he quit or got fired, I think he requested Larz and/or others stop doing that, as he needed the clicks to get paid. This is the tippling point of all the Larz/Feder acrimony.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:03 pm 
Site Admin

Curious Hair wrote:
Yeah, I remember that, too, but I thought it was the other way around. Maybe not. I just remember being in the car one night in 2000 and hearing Garry Meier do an hour of horrible radio. I think they eventually gave the 6 p.m. hour to Bill Cameron.

Quote:
Word of the exit of Conn and Roeper was leaked yesterday to a local blogger, which may have played a role in expediting the duo's departure from the radio station's airwaves. After that blog appeared publicly, the two were told they were no longer needed at WLS-AM.

You hear that, Feder, you local blogger? It's all your fault Roe Conn didn't get to say goodbye!

Shitty radio managers.

Roe should have been able to say good bye to his listeners.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:20 pm 

Agreed. I think the days of fearing guys will break bad on the air are over. Roe's not going to make himself a liability like that. He has less edge than a butter knife. One last show to say goodbye would have been fair. Apparently he had been at WLS since the switch to all-talk. The only tenure as long as his was the satellite that picked up Rush Limbaugh.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Seacrest wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
I guess I just feel bad for my grandma, who, according to the last ratings book, is the last human being who listens to Roe Conn.

Roeper killed that show.

Roeper is really bad at radio.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Douchebag wrote:
Larz is just upset he didn't have the Dahl story first. It's sour grapes, and he just looks like a moron here.

Larz is a thin skinned douche. I posted on his board that I thought there was a real chance that Mac would leave The Score, & he responded with his typical douchiness & said there was no way that Mac was leaving. I called him out after Mac left.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:10 pm 

Scorehead wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Larz is just upset he didn't have the Dahl story first. It's sour grapes, and he just looks like a moron here.

Larz is a thin skinned douche. I posted on his board that I thought there was a real chance that Mac would leave The Score, & he responded with his typical douchiness & said there was no way that Mac was leaving. I called him out after Mac left.

You are criticizing somebody for making a bad prediction? :lol:

<º)))><

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Seacrest wrote:

He'll just have to say it on Windy Shitty Live.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
Seacrest wrote:

He's got plenty of time now. He can call all 5 of them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:13 pm 
Site Admin

Curious Hair wrote:
Agreed. I think the days of fearing guys will break bad on the air are over. Roe's not going to make himself a liability like that. He has less edge than a butter knife. One last show to say goodbye would have been fair. Apparently he had been at WLS since the switch to all-talk. The only tenure as long as his was the satellite that picked up Rush Limbaugh.

And the way it went down after 20 years was about as classless as you can get.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:28 pm 

Chus wrote:
Scorehead wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

You are criticizing somebody for making a bad prediction? :lol:

Romney will win in a landslide...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:07 am 

It's incredibly amusing that Garry's wife has cost him millions through the years, ruined his reputation in the industry and destroyed some of the best radio in the history of this city yet the two of them sit back and still think they have played everything smart.

The realtor semi negotiated a couple of form contracts and suddenly thought she was an agent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:12 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
Curious Hair wrote:

Quote:

A local blogger?

My God.....larz is a douche.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:58 am 

I guess the Dahl news is now official. Larz reported about it last night.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:23 am 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:
It's incredibly amusing that Garry's wife has cost him millions through the years, ruined his reputation in the industry and destroyed some of the best radio in the history of this city yet the two of them sit back and still think they have played everything smart.

The realtor semi negotiated a couple of form contracts and suddenly thought she was an agent

And it's always everyone else's fault.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:42 am 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Hatchetman wrote:
I hear Dag Julen and Brenden Greely will be on with him (unless you've heard his podcast, you will have no idea who they are). Traffic updates removed.

This is disturbing news. From what I have heard on the podcast there may be nobody in the history of radio who has less to say than Greeley. I don't know the other guy though.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:01 pm 

DannyB wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
I hear Dag Julen and Brenden Greely will be on with him (unless you've heard his podcast, you will have no idea who they are). Traffic updates removed.

This is disturbing news. From what I have heard on the podcast there may be nobody in the history of radio who has less to say than Greeley. I don't know the other guy though.

If I am remembering correctly, didn't Greely used to be on Dahl's son's show back in the WCKG days?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I have never heard Dahl. In my high school and college commuting days, Mancow was the thing. I just saw he is officially off tv, according to Feder.

Always liked me some Irma Blancos. I still have his CD, box of sharpies or whatever.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:33 pm 

Dahl was revolutionary once, but now all he does is talk about golf, and that's when he's actually talking and not just letting dead air hang on the airwaves like a bad fart. He's worthless. Cumulus is only bringing him on because he's working cheap in exchange for Cumulus investing in his podcasts and together that still comes out ahead of the giant paper Citadel had given Roe. If they wanted to bring in an established voice who would revitalize a dying angry-white-male station, they should have signed Mac.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Douchebag wrote:
DannyB wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

If I am remembering correctly, didn't Greely used to be on Dahl's son's show back in the WCKG days?

Yes he was.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:44 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
DannyB wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

The other guy was the guitarist/singer in the Slugs and the Goldstars. I think he plays puss-rock with Poi Dog Pondering now. Seems like a good fit for Dahl.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:46 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
DannyB wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

The other guy was the guitarist/singer in the Slugs and the Goldstars. I think he plays puss-rock with Poi Dog Pondering now. Seems like a good fit for Dahl.

The worst was when Dahl would play his own shitty music on his show. Just terrible...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next