It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dahl is back
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:38 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
DannyB wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
I hear Dag Julen and Brenden Greely will be on with him (unless you've heard his podcast, you will have no idea who they are). Traffic updates removed.

This is disturbing news. From what I have heard on the podcast there may be nobody in the history of radio who has less to say than Greeley. I don't know the other guy though.

If I am remembering correctly, didn't Greely used to be on Dahl's son's show back in the WCKG days?

Yes he was.

That guy had the tone and pace of Lurch when speaking.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:40 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
DannyB wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
I hear Dag Julen and Brenden Greely will be on with him (unless you've heard his podcast, you will have no idea who they are). Traffic updates removed.

This is disturbing news. From what I have heard on the podcast there may be nobody in the history of radio who has less to say than Greeley. I don't know the other guy though.

The other guy was the guitarist/singer in the Slugs and the Goldstars. I think he plays puss-rock with Poi Dog Pondering now. Seems like a good fit for Dahl.

The worst was when Dahl would play his own shitty music on his show. Just terrible...

The Hawaiian music was worse. Then he would frequently interview the creators of the music no one cares about unless they are on a tropical vacation.

Dahl's early music has funny.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Brendan is Dahl's connection to the modern world. He is OK. Likeable enough. The dopey Wayne Stylie.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:59 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
DannyB wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

The other guy was the guitarist/singer in the Slugs and the Goldstars. I think he plays puss-rock with Poi Dog Pondering now. Seems like a good fit for Dahl.

Here's my Cliff's Notes version of a JORR story -

I did a TV show with Poi Dog Pondering once.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
DannyB wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

I suppose Roe Conn can go ahead and be his own stunt double these days...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:27 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
I'm torn between my love of Steve Dahl and losing a good job.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:33 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos

??

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:37 pm 

pittmike wrote:

??

I was responding to Sam.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:13 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
DannyB wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

does "did" mean they called you up on stage to dance with the lead singer like Springsteen in the Dancing In The Dark Video?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:19 am 

Standing on the sidewalk outside the window of the news studio mugging for face time while they were being interviewed?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:14 am 

good dolphin wrote:

does "did" mean they called you up on stage to dance with the lead singer like Springsteen in the Dancing In The Dark Video?

I was the Technical Director on that one, I think. I was a cameraman for Moon Seven Times IIRC. We were the American Bandstand of Central Illinois.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:18 am 

Holy crap! There's an episode of our show with the Poster Children on youtube.

Here you go. Early '90s camerawork from a Dr. Ken. They cut out the credits, apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0Qd-nfAwZw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:48 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
does anybody here listen to dahl on his podca$t? is he any good? the last steve dahl i remember was back when WCKG wanted him to be an integral part of replacing the freshly-departed howard stern after FreeFM's failed attempts at morning drive excellence with rover's morning glory and then opie and anthony, IIRC that was when steve was able to execute a power play to get matt his own saturday morning show on WCKG because he was doing the mornings for big $$$$, which he ended up making even when he was eventually taken off air (and it was covered like IT'S THE END OF AN ERA FOR A CHICAGO RADIO PIONEER AND LEGEND! STEVE DAHL IS HANGING UP HIS HEADPHONES SOON....)

i'm surprised nobody mentioned that this is potentially big news for SIR LAURENCE OF SHAKE THAT because dahl is a radio hero that has consistently given him the time of day over the years (didn't he used to have a weekly sports hit/segment with dahl on the podcast?) and has led to laurence using the syntax "[caller] is on the score and wants to talk about [subject]" which makes radio so much more fun and free-flowing and organic when you're pigeonholed into a corner by a host who doesn't want to let his carefully scripted master plan for the show go by the wayside.

one time i texted 67011 some "ugh" type feedback about that device laurence uses and presumably-laurence texted back "steve dahl taught me that, and i think he knows a little more about radio than you"

so now his radio hero/idol/step-daddy is back on the radio and that means that laurence can likely get some airtime to play to a new demographic, which means his chances of being the local chicago sports-driven radio-wayne-brady of the future have risen gotten that much better. top notch action available for all interested parties here. then again, idk if his 670 contract has some sort of technicality where he can't even be a caller to other competing stations because everything he does has to directly benefit 670 the score.

but if that was the case, well surely they wouldn't want him on twitter plugging that little daily 8am startup web-show or whatever he does.... shoot, is that still on? is it possible to catch your daily dose of visual-loho in the morning to find out exactly why he took himself out of the running for the mcneil chair?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:53 am 

I've been an on again off again podcast listener. Currently on. I've listened to this guy for 30+ years so it is kind of a habit.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:55 am 

Holy crap! There's an episode of our show with the Poster Children on youtube.

Here you go. Early '90s camerawork from a Dr. Ken. They cut out the credits, apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0Qd-nfAwZw

wow i was impressed that during the live parts you not only had that quintessential "view from the front row" angle going on, but then you could intermittantly switch to an "over the artist's shoulder" view. ~13-14mins into the video when i see their music video it's like "holy shit these guys heard about nirvana and decided to go out and live the dream, eh?" even though the song they play in the video most-directly reminds me of that SHE'S LUMP SHE'S LUMP SHE'S LUMP SHE'S IN MY HEEEEEEAAADDDDDDD song.

"a guy offered to to videotape one of our live shows for free and just go in there and videotape us he had ulterior motives..... he wanted to do our our next video for free. he sort of got his foot in the door by offering to tape our show for free, and then later on he said "i have all this live footage so why don't you do a video because you have a new record coming out.... " and we said ok and he said i'll do it for really cheap. and we said great. so i mean uh i guess you can say it was his idea, i mean we wanted to do a video but uhhh that was sort of the catalyst somebody wanting to do it for really cheap * timid chick starts to speak up but is shot down by his reiteration that doing it really cheap was usually their catalyst for doing things *"

no wonder these guys never made it. hey dr. ken were you the guy who offered to videotape one of their live shows for free?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:06 am 

"doing things cheap was always our catalyst" - alternate reality young alt harry caray

you can tell that pink haired guy who believed in music being able to transfer psychic energy REALLY wanted to bang the chick in the band, but i think alternate reality young alt harry caray the lead singer was doing that. she looked pretty damn cute on that home couch interview

edit: and yes i know this is coming from ME but holy shit that chick rambles on and on and on. if young alt harry caray was nailing her he kept his pimphand strong because she had no ability to maintain confident eye contact with the camera while she was droning on with her stories, so she must have loved having ~1hr to kill for this show because she was given time to tell us stories about how the desert was really neat when you've had no sleep.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:18 am 

btw, while watching this video of dr. ken's old cameraman handiwork because, man, that chick.... to get all spmackman on you: would/wood and a half --- ahem, yeah while watching this video if you assume that young alt harry caray is nailing that chick then this picture right here is truly hilarious when taken out of whatever context her rambling story #6 was going on about:

Image]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:25 am 

sinicalypse wrote:
no wonder these guys never made it. hey dr. ken were you the guy who offered to videotape one of their live shows for free?

No. You might be surprised to learn that I didn't really fit into this crowd.

As I came in with the crew to shoots like this, the bands usually looked at me funny.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:29 am 

The video was for "If You See Kay". Get it? GET IT?

The orange haired dude was pretty weird IIRC. I kind of remember the girl being kind of cute but I think it was an armpit hair situation.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:33 am 

At 34:58 you can see one of my artistic shots, starting in close on the guitars and pulling back to the band. Smooth.

I was always on the camera to the left of the stage getting close ups and crowd shots.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:41 am 

No. You might be surprised to learn that I didn't really fit into this crowd.

As I came in with the crew to shoots like this, the bands usually looked at me funny.

man i bet you've got a good story or two about that barefoot pink haired hyper spastic guy because he had to be all kinds of weird and unsettling off camera. you can tell by the way that everyone went out of their way to laugh at his outlandish jokes that he was one of those guys that it was better to humor with polite laughter as opposed to letting him think that he's not a pretty cool guy who doesn't afraid of anything. oh and the other guy in the band.... all the way to the left of the couch: i can relate (except that i like to think i've always had a way better sense of fashion than this guy did once i started, you know picking out my own clothes and stuff).

the video was glitching up and getting out of sync with the audio but i'm pretty sure he doesn't say a goddamn thing throughout all of these home-couch-interview segments. poor guy... he's sitting there nearly donning "the thinker" pose undoubtedly thinking "....and we call ourselves 'the poster children' HA! GOOD IDEA HARRY!" anyways my hero is all the way to the left in yet another inherently symbolic freeeframe of the band:

but yeah, i digress. i can't wait for JORR to show up and tell us that he actually had a kid with the cute chick in the helmet shirt because they met after JORR's band opened up for them at the brawlroom in 199X, and that yeah the chick was cute but her BF harry caray had done a # on her because she was subservient to a fault and she could have been so much more than the band's kim gordon, but harry ruined her confidence at a crucial early juncture and thus ensuring that for better or worse her ultimate fate as a musician was tied to the unsinkable supership that was 'the poster children'

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:53 am 

The video was for "If You See Kay". Get it? GET IT?

The orange haired dude was pretty weird IIRC. I kind of remember the girl being kind of cute but I think it was an armpit hair situation.

actually i don't get it. but then again it is still technically the morning and i'm knackered after a long shift last night just kind of cro-magnon DURRRRRRR watching this video and thinking about how i'd like to plop back to 1991 and crash the interview, shave that chick's armpits, nail her once, and then come back to 2014 to find out that our son hates me and thinks my whole idea of a rap career is laughable at best.

armpit hair tho? wowzers. yeah i think that harry caray ruined her confidence and had her subservient to him in all facets of life, so either the armpit hair is one of her proclivities that he never questioned cuz she did everything else right, or it was something he encouraged to keep her under his thumb because you can tell with this video that the chick prolly thought getting on your show was her ticket out of the band and on to bigger and better things (cuz she loves touring even if she doesn't love the process of making/recording music. i caught that out of one of her ramblefests) but in the end.... man im guessing this band broke up by 93-94 and maybe harry caray and his chick tried to start one more band but the fundamental problem was harry caray's vision had to be the frontman, and eventually the two retired and got married and now their kids probably suck at making dj mixes with traktor and stuff.

also dr. ken, man, those crowd shots are PRICELESS. i can't get over the kid in the flower power shirt that you notice from this angle:

how did this show work out? was this one of their regular ole live shows that you showed up at.... or was this live show known to be a taping of the episode of your show and therefore the people who showed up knew that they were going to be on TV so dress to impress and be sure to stroke your rockstar hair in front of the camera and OMFG THE CAMERA IS ON ME AND I'M TOO COOL TO DANCE BUT HOLY SHIT WATCH ME BOB AND WEAVE LIKE I'M REALLY INTO THIS EVEN THO THE LEAD SINGER NEEDS TO TURN HIS MIC UP BUT I DON'T THINK ANYBODY IS REALLY NOTICING THAT MUCH BECAUSE NOBODY CARES ABOUT HIS LYRICS ANYWASY!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:01 am 

sinicalypse wrote:
how did this show work out? was this one of their regular ole live shows that you showed up at.... or was this live show known to be a taping of the episode of your show and therefore the people who showed up knew that they were going to be on TV so dress to impress and be sure to stroke your rockstar hair in front of the camera and OMFG THE CAMERA IS ON ME AND I'M TOO COOL TO DANCE BUT HOLY SHIT WATCH ME BOB AND WEAVE LIKE I'M REALLY INTO THIS EVEN THO THE LEAD SINGER NEEDS TO TURN HIS MIC UP BUT I DON'T THINK ANYBODY IS REALLY NOTICING THAT MUCH BECAUSE NOBODY CARES ABOUT HIS LYRICS ANYWASY!

You're cracking me up, sini, thinking about all this old stuff and how these people turned out.

The show was on for a couple years. I don't know if they did stuff after I left.

The pitch to the bands was to get a full hour of professionally produced content for them to use to promote their band, use as a video, whatever. The studio held about, I don't know, less than 50 people to be the "crowd". There were probably about 30-35 people at this one I'd guess.

The band usually sent out info to their die-hard fans to come to the taping so the band was performing in front of their peeps and not a bunch of UofI Engineering majors. They usually got a pretty decent turnout considering these shows were usually shot at like 4 o'clock in the afternoon on a Tuesday. They must have gotten some time off their jobs.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:08 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Douchebag wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
DannyB wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

The worst was when Dahl would play his own shitty music on his show. Just terrible...

Trading in their ties for a mai-tai
with a fresh pineapple chunk in it

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:12 am 

I got a kick out of Let's Pork! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:19 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
sinicalypse wrote:
btw, while watching this video of dr. ken's old cameraman handiwork because, man, that chick.... to get all spmackman on you: would/wood and a half --- ahem, yeah while watching this video if you assume that young alt harry caray is nailing that chick then this picture right here is truly hilarious when taken out of whatever context her rambling story #6 was going on about:

Image]

I think they've been married for about 25 years and they're both professors at ISU.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:45 am 

sinicalypse wrote:

Image]

He covets. That is his nature. And how do we begin to covet, Clarice?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:52 am 

Chus wrote:
[

The worst was when Dahl would play his own shitty music on his show. Just terrible...[/quote]

Trading in their ties for a mai-tai
with a fresh pineapple chunk in it
[/quote]

The absolute low point of Dahl music was his apology to Comiskey Park...the fucking pinnacle of his career and he is issuing mea culpae that are not being asked of him

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:56 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
I got a kick out of Let's Pork! :lol:

Let's Pork
Anothony's 12 Days of Christmas
Another Kid in the Crawl

There was lot's of funny music. Then he started to think he was good and stopped parodies. We got his Comiskey song and his family Christmas song and his Hawaiian music

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
I found this song and band via Buzz Kilman.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next