It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Don't know the exact ratings of The GAME, but I assume it is a .00 or .01 at best?

Not that anyone expected it to be great. but shouldn't they be putting out some numbers that show they have somewhat of an upward trend? even if it is .00 to .01...thats still and UPTREND?

I also understand that the plan is to get a real freq. to broadcast on...but in order to get that...someone needs to layout $50Mill? are they going to layout $50 mill for a 0.00?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
whoever came up with this "plan" is a fucking idiot.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:05 pm 

I do agree . If you are buying 87.7 and you think you are going to GROW a station, you need all young guys and everything you do should appeal to them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
They must be posting some kind of numbers. I don't listen to them at all but if they have commercials playing
than they have to have sponsors dropping some dough down. No idea how they pay the "talent", it has to be
a total losing proposition.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
bigfan wrote:
I do agree . If you are buying 87.7 and you think you are going to GROW a station, you need all young guys and everything you do should appeal to them.

I disagree. Young guys aren't even listening to over the air broadcasts that much. plus, most of the young talent sucks. Getting guys like Mac who are very good at their job, have a following and name recognition makes the most sense to me. I am amazed that an AM signal would be 50 million though. What the heck are they doing with the old 870 frequency these days? That should come cheaper than that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:00 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
bigfan wrote:

I disagree. Young guys aren't even listening to over the air broadcasts that much. plus, most of the young talent sucks. Getting guys like Mac who are very good at their job, have a following and name recognition makes the most sense to me. I am amazed that an AM signal would be 50 million though. What the heck are they doing with the old 870 frequency these days? That should come cheaper than that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:47 pm 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
bigfan wrote:

Being they are on FM, I think that was the goal, to look for something FM in nature...which I will admit, not sure why, it's sports talk, AM is fine, cheaper and transmits further.

All that said, I agree with the age thing, but listeners have to come from somewhere and I also agree the younger crowd, might not be the sharpest...it's why KISS FM is popular, so you need to appeal to them. Go with some music and sports...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:28 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
What the heck are they doing with the old 870 frequency these days? That should come cheaper than that.

I don't think there's ever been an 870 licensed to Chicago. Are you thinking of 820? That's liberal talk. Or 850? That used to be liberal talk around 2004, but I think it switched to Spanish when WCPT migrated to 820.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:59 pm 

bigfan wrote:

They need some aggressive hosts who will go out and get listeners, not sit back and wait for them to come.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:03 pm 

Excellent observation. They have a lineup of innings-eaters. What's McDoink doing to hustle for listeners? Probably nothing because sigh, that's not his job.

By the way, the FCC gave the LP-TV analog loophole a stay of execution, so the Game may be able to stay in their comfortable 87.7 rut past next September. Losing in the ratings to jazz, they may have to.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:35 pm 

a big reason for the Score's initial success was North presenting himself to the listeners wherever they gathered. Other hosts followed the lead when they recognized the success.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
with their 0.0 rating do they even make enough ad revenue in a year to pay Mac's $500k demand? If the game could afford or wanted mac he'd be signed by now

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:09 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
They can probably give Mac a huge contract sort of written off under start up costs. What I do not get is why they cannot buy another freq yet though. I would think someone is wanting to get bought out of radio these days.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
I doubt Kaplan would sit quietly if somebody like Mac is being considered for The Game. Kap seems to like being the top dog. That being said, they better start making a splash with some big names or they will continue getting terrible ratings.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:23 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Godfella wrote:
I doubt Kaplan would sit quietly if somebody like Mac is being considered for The Game. Kap seems to like being the top dog. That being said, they better start making a splash with some big names or they will continue getting terrible ratings.

wouldn't Kap still be the top dog, regardless? He's the one on TV every day.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Barnaby's
bigfan wrote:
I also understand that the plan is to get a real freq. to broadcast on...but in order to get that...someone needs to layout $50Mill? are they going to layout $50 mill for a 0.00?

Along these lines, one minor thing I noticed recently while tuned into The Game 87.7 is that the station during promotional spots is emphasizing more its exclusive status as the only local sports radio station on FM.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
WindyCityBreeze wrote:
... one minor thing I noticed recently while tuned into The Game 87.7 is that the station during promotional spots is emphasizing more its exclusive status as the only local sports radio station on FM.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:43 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
877 was better as a Altrock station

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
pittmike wrote:
They can probably give Mac a huge contract sort of written off under start up costs. What I do not get is why they cannot buy another freq yet though. I would think someone is wanting to get bought out of radio these days.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:13 pm 

blackhawksfan wrote:
877 was better as a Altrock station

And the ratings were about 20 times higher. Just wait until they get on a real frequency.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:29 pm 

I would be looking to give a big talent like Dan a piece of the action with a smaller salary...make him a partner to incentivize him growing the entire station, which he is more than capable of doing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Bringing out of the fire and pashun on Cutler.

Sporting the double-chin.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
You can tell that Kap genuinely likes Mac.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Kirkwood wrote:
Bringing out of the fire and pashun on Cutler.

Sporting the double-chin.

Yeah Tommy Boy chins....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:06 pm 
1000 CLUB

Q.Bovifs wrote:
Mike North is the man they need for rainmaker.

AND Mac for talent.

Except Mac really is has NO talent and is lazy on top of it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:45 am 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
T-Bone wrote:
They must be posting some kind of numbers. I don't listen to them at all but if they have commercials playing
than they have to have sponsors dropping some dough down. No idea how they pay the "talent", it has to be
a total losing proposition.

Commercials are tied in with WGN advertising for a dollar more they will also run the ad on the game.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:17 am 

Dollar a holler! That's how the old WKRS in Waukegan sold its ads. Reps would sell out the inventory on WIIL Rock and XLC, and then to make budget at the end of the month they'd have to sell KRS spots in bulk at like $5 a minute. With a signal that didn't go north of Bristol, south of Mundelein, or west of either, and a lineup of syndicated right-wing talkers too abhorrent for even WLS or WIND to pick up, it was a hard sell, and it'd usually end up alienating clients who felt pressured into buying a bunch of worthless spots. Now it's ESPN Deportes. Arriba.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:11 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Maybe the little station in Lansing that Warren Freiberg used to broadcast at is hiring.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:34 am 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
Curious Hair wrote:
Dollar a holler! That's how the old WKRS in Waukegan sold its ads. Reps would sell out the inventory on WIIL Rock and XLC, and then to make budget at the end of the month they'd have to sell KRS spots in bulk at like $5 a minute. With a signal that didn't go north of Bristol, south of Mundelein, or west of either, and a lineup of syndicated right-wing talkers too abhorrent for even WLS or WIND to pick up, it was a hard sell, and it'd usually end up alienating clients who felt pressured into buying a bunch of worthless spots. Now it's ESPN Deportes. Arriba.

CH are you in the bidnass?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:38 am 

Not anymore, not really, just a few highly limited freelance appearances with copywriting/voiceovers.