It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:20 am 

It turns out that keeping the freshman QB in the game would have been the best thing for NIU. They won...by three against a team on their 4th QB...but they won.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:35 am 

good dolphin wrote:
It turns out that keeping the freshman QB in the game would have been the best thing for NIU. They won...by three against a team on their 4th QB...but they won.

Now you know why I can't stand this team. A WR came in and played QB and pretty much moved the ball down the field at will.

But, that's a big win that they HAD to have. Evidently there are 3 G5 schools that the playoff committee is looking at right now: Marshall, Boise, and NIU. I guess they've stopped looking at Colorado St at this point. NIU would need an upset or two, obviously, but I'm surprised they are even in the discussion at this point to be honest.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:34 pm 

The game looked closer than it was at the end. We had a 27-17 lead. Then we played prevent defense and Toledo scored a garbage TD in the last couple minutes. Then we did some really odd play-calling to try to run out the clock that ended up leading to us having to punt the ball back to Toledo.

All we have to do now is win the final two games against Ohio and Western Michigan on the road and we’ll go to the MAC Championship game for the fifth-straight season. With this team though, neither of those games are a given. Western Michigan has gotten better as the season has progressed and RB Jarvion Franklin is probably just as good as Toledo's Kareem Hunt.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Sausage
It was cold as balls last night, endured a half then went to Mollys to watch the end...they really need to get Cam going earlier in the game and just pound the ball on the ground, the passing offense is and has always been run first, bubble screens, run zone read, then take a shot deep...and it has worked for years....

Did see these tweets yesterday, still pissed about detroit last season...cost us back to back BCS appearances...

Quote:
Stewart Mandel @slmandel · 23m 23 minutes ago
Long names the specific Group of 5 teams that were discussed -- Marshall, Colorado St, Boise, NIU and a "little bit" of ECU.

Quote:
On Tuesday night the College Football Playoff Rankings were updated as well. No Group of Five team appeared in the new top 25, but chairman Jeff Long did mention on a conference call the Huskies were one of the Group of Five schools discussed by the committee this week. Others included Marshall, Colorado State, Boise State and East Carolina. NIU is therefore on the radar for the committee, which will be tasked with choosing a Group of Five conference champion to play in one of the access bowls at the end of the season if none can crack the final top 25. NIU was upset in the MAC title game last season.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:47 pm 

Interesting that we are still highly thought of, but there is little chance of us getting in. While ECU has lost two games they still have a couple of good wins on their resume. Boise State still has the name recognition over all the G5 schools. Marshall, while undefeated, has not played anyone in non-conference or conference but would go ahead of us by simply being undefeated. Maybe that's what you will see the G5 teams follow, a schedule like Marshall's that is conducive to playing in one of the top bowl games but not good enough for consideration for the playoff. Let's face it, no G5 school is ever going to get into a 4-team playoff regardless if they played a really difficult non-conference schedule.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:21 pm 

NIU_Huskies wrote:
Let's face it, no G5 school is ever going to get into a 4-team playoff regardless if they played a really difficult non-conference schedule.
It would be interesting to see a school get two SEC(not Vanderbilt) road wins and go undefeated.

Still, it would be tough.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:29 pm 

If and most likely WHEN they extend this to 8 teams, you get a playoff consisting of basically 5 conference champs with guaranteed spots and 3 wildcards, which may open it up to an undefeated non power 5 team to make it's way it...that's the only hope the Boise, Cinnci, Marshall, NIU's of the world have here

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:56 am 

I think they would have to be an undefeated team with at least one nationally recognized star. That isn't as far fetched as it seems.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:59 am 

good dolphin wrote:
I think they would have to be an undefeated team with at least one nationally recognized star. That isn't as far fetched as it seems.

I agree, look at TCU now, a few years ago they were saying the same thing about them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:30 am 

NIU still needs to win out...but......

This week could not have gone much better for NIU:

Beat Toledo
East Carolina loses
Arkansas shuts out LSU
Northwestern beats ND at South Bend

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:34 am 

pizza_Place: Bruno's
Nationally, the media continues to have a strong bias against what they've nicknamed the "directional schools," despite the fact that NIU has proven over and over that they've had a great fb program in recent years.

East Carolina probably had a better team this year than any of the big Carolina schools, including the once-highly ranked Gamecocks and sometimes ranked Tar Heels or Wolfpack. Yet there was about zero preseason recognition, and begruding acknowledgement later on. Clemson is proving to be not so great, yet they and SC were both in the preseason top 10. It's a definite bias against the smaller, "directional" schools on the part of voting media as well as coaches.

Of course, Boise St. and Marshall don't suffer from carrying the directional moniker -- and in addition, Boise St. had that big bowl win over Oklahoma, and Marshall gained national attention over Randy Moss. Still not much media attention anymore, in comparison to the big, "traditional powers."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:38 am 

Nevermind. F'n Boise. Down 20-0 at home and comeback to win.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:33 am 

Boise State still has to play Air Force, that will be a tough game for them.

WMU game is where i can see us losing. Road game that will decide that MAC West. They are just putting up tons of points on people this year. Our offense hasn't been capable of that this year. I don't think we would win a shootout match. We aren't that type of team this year.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:07 am 

NIU_Huskies wrote:
WMU game is where i can see us losing. Road game that will decide that MAC West.

I'll be at that game

If they can ever announce a start time it would be great.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:52 pm 

The area of WMU has been getting pounded with snow, and as much as 8" more of lake-effect is predicted for Mon-Tues of this week.

Good news though, temps are supposed to rise back up into the mid-40s later on. That stadium's shoveling out may be aided by some melting if the sun ever decides to come out again.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:52 pm 

GOIrishND wrote:
The area of WMU has been getting pounded with snow, and as much as 8" more of lake-effect is predicted for Mon-Tues of this week.

Good news though, temps are supposed to rise back up into the mid-40s later on. That stadium's shoveling out may be aided by some melting if the sun ever decides to come out again.

Game still two weeks away

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:58 pm 

OK, I haven't seen the Huskies schedule. Still though, the amount of snow they've been getting is going to be around for a long time, as it keeps piling up.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:13 pm 

Tickets for the HUGE showdown with WMU (in Kalamazoo) are currently BOGO on the WMU website.
While I fully expect an enormous CSFMB turnout for that one, there is a limit of 99 tickets per order so you'll probably have to do some strategic planning o get around that one.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:39 am 

I'm ready to Row The Boat!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:45 am 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:

Dude is an absolute nut job

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:54 am 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:

My boys need to capsize that b*tch...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:56 am 

16 Degrees tonight in Athens, GA with slight chance of snow....should help keep the ball on the ground, hopefully NIU can just pound the rock and get out of there with a win against a semi-bad Ohio team

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:57 am 

cluv8484 wrote:
16 Degrees tonight in Athens, GA with slight chance of snow....should help keep the ball on the ground, hopefully NIU can just pound the rock and get out of there with a win against a semi-bad Ohio team

Neutral site game?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:00 am 

spanky wrote:
cluv8484 wrote:

Neutral site game?

damn...ohio....athens, ohio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:07 am 

cluv8484 wrote:
spanky wrote:
cluv8484 wrote:

Neutral site game?

damn...ohio....athens, ohio

REM Is playing at halftime.

Ohio is 4-1 at home with their only loss there to Bowling Green.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:12 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
OU is in a state of mourning. The best brewery in Ohio which is virtually on their campus burned down last weekend. The have nothing left to play for now. RIP Jackie o's

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:58 am 

Line started at huskies -4 and went down through a critical number to -2.5...someone thinks there will be an upset tonight

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:05 pm 

Weather should play to our advantage. We are a good running team. Pass game is our weakness despite only three INTs all season long.

Run Stingily, Run!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:25 pm 

NIU_Huskies wrote:
Run Stingily, Run!

Should be a simple game plan, right?

Enter: Caray's brilliance. He will screw this up.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:12 pm 

Bad weather......On the road........vs team coming off of a bye........

No problem. 8)

Time to row the boat or something
Anybody want to carpool to Kalamazoo on Black Friday? Probably leave sometime around 6 am.
I can only fit 3 or 4 people in my car so it will be first come/first served, the rest can go on a waiting list.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next