It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:31 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Rozner does. With all the things going on in Chicago sports and many of subplots with the Bears, I have to wonder why Rozner is so concerned with Jordan Lynch. I know Rozner is all things NIU (and the Chicago Wolves, and Sandberg/Maddux), but I see this as another attempt to pile on the Bears with a unique angle. I mean really, why should anyone feel sorry for a training camp washout? Aren't there hundreds of these every year?

"Rozner: Bears' treatment of Lynch makes more sense now

Among the many unfortunate discoveries in a miserable 2014 Bears season is that something resembling reality is unlikely to emerge out of the bunker from which Phil Emery and Marc Trestman operate.

This would have been valuable information had Jordan Lynch possessed it back in May when the Bears sold him on the idea of signing with his hometown team.

Lynch had alternatives. There were teams interested in him at several positions, and when Jon Gruden had him at his QB camp last spring, the former NFL coach suggested -- after drilling Lynch at several spots -- that he would, "Bring him along as a quarterback and give him a small package of plays that he would be accountable for every week. That package would expand as he showed he could take it.

"I would also have him work out with the running backs. I'd have him spend a little time with the receivers. I would continue to give him as many reps as possible as he became our service squad quarterback.

"I'd even try to use him on special teams. He'd have a role that would wear him out."

Gruden went on to say he would want Lynch on his NFL team because he's a winner with great character, a guy who's tough and always makes plays when he has the ball in his hands, and some coach ought to be smart enough to get the ball in Lynch's hands.

That coach was not Marc Trestman.

A few teams spoke to Lynch about those possibilities, but the Chicago native went with his heart instead of his gut.

Lynch lost 20 pounds for the Bears to become a faster running back and special-teams player, and spent the next four months learning a new position and playbook.

"He's a really fine runner," Emery said when the Bears signed him. "The fact that he can throw with accuracy in a short area is good, too. You want as many athletes who can do as many things as possible, and he certainly presents options that way."

The Bears sure made it sound like they agreed with Gruden, that they wanted to find a way to get the ball in Lynch's hands and were willing to spend a year or two teaching him.

"He's very instinctive, especially for a quarterback between the tackles," Emery said. "He just knows where to find the soft spots. He's got really good contact balance. He doesn't go down easy. I like all those things."

But when the exhibition games began, Lynch was nearly invisible.

He led the Bears with 24 yards on 7 carries in the fourth quarter of Game 1 and then disappeared. He played special teams in Game 2 and saw no action in Seattle in Game 3, when the Bears were down 31-0 at the half.

Trestman promised that in the final preseason game, "You'll see quite a bit of him," "He'll get an opportunity," and, "It will be a good opportunity to show what he can do."

That also didn't happen.

Lynch showed up in the fourth quarter and got 6 carries when it became apparent that the entire Lynch narrative was a sham designed to create positive press.

Lynch agent Cliff Brady told the Sun-Times in May that the Bears pitched him hard, saying, "Trestman told him, 'I have 10 different things I can do with you. Come with us. Come here and we'll make it work.' "

One more statement that was far from true.

By the time Trestman was done ignoring him, and going back on the assurance that they would showcase him if they didn't have a spot for him, Lynch had given away a year of his professional life and taken on a new position and body for a team that never had any intention of giving him a chance to make the team -- or even the practice squad.

Seriously, between the horrific special teams and the daily turnover on the practice squad, the 2014 Bears couldn't find room for a player actually willing to hit someone and able to follow simple directions?

The list of players who have come and gone from the Bears' practice squad is very long. Of the original 10 on the practice squad, six remain with the team in some form and the Bears have made 41 practice-squad moves since Sept. 1.

Jordan Lynch's name is nowhere to be found in those 51 transactions.

But this isn't about whether Lynch could have made a difference in the Bears' season, whether he could have made it in the NFL with another team, or his future as a quarterback.

It's a simple question of fairness.

Why did they do it? For the feel-good story? Was it nothing more than a publicity stunt?

Lynch probably believed the worst-case scenario was a year or two on the practice squad while doing everything the Bears asked, and becoming a backup running back or special-teams player.

When the Bears dumped Lynch in August, Emery told the team website, "A big part of keeping (four) running backs was their ability to contribute on special teams. Jordan was raw to that task. He has great effort in that area. The assignments and execution of those assignments were new to him."

Well, no kidding. Was this some shocking revelation? Was it new information to Emery? Did he know what position Lynch played at NIU when he set records galore?

Why didn't they just tell Lynch that to begin with? They had to know the numbers were against him and he could have gone elsewhere.

Are the Bears' special teams so good that they couldn't have given Lynch a chance to learn? Is their short-yardage game -- which utilizes the very popular 30-yard QB sweep -- so good that Lynch was of no value?

What's clear now is that the Bears either have no idea how to evaluate talent, or they weren't honest with Lynch and signed him merely for the buzz.

Take your pick, but either way they stuck it to a great kid with a huge heart who asked for nothing and deserved better.

No longer should we be surprised."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:33 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
It did seem odd they convinced him to sign and it immediately became apparent they had no real plans for him. Why bother? Likely institutional incompetence.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:33 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
denisdman wrote:
Lynch had alternatives.

Really, Barry? Then why hasn't his phone been ringing?

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:34 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I saw this on Facebook the other day. He does raise some interesting points about what the
Bears are doing, especially with special teams. Maybe Lynch was really bad on special teams
but he couldn't be much worse than what is on the field and he would have given you an
interesting wrinkle on offense if you would have tried to develop him. Wouldn't have cost
them much to keep him on the practice squad at the minimum.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:36 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
What a stupid column. Barry should just stick to pretending that he isn't a Cubs' fan, and his "why do you hate McGowan?" schtick.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:36 am 

Chus wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Lynch had alternatives.

yeah that is my question as well.

Great kid, great college player, but he is not an NFL player.

He will be fine in life. No need to feel bad for him.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:40 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Chus wrote:
Barry should just stick to his "why do you hate McGowan?" schtick.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:56 am 

Chus wrote:
What a stupid column. Barry should just stick to pretending that he isn't a Cubs' fan, and his "why do you hate McGowan?" schtick.

He writes a lot of stupid columns. I found myself asking, why I am reading this crap.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:07 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
It did seem odd they convinced him to sign and it immediately became apparent they had no real plans for him. Why bother? Likely institutional incompetence.
It's the opposite. They did him a huge favor. He can always say he wore an NFL uniform.

Some players just don't translate to the NFL. Purdue had a similar guy in Taylor Stubblefield. Statistically, he was one of the best WR's in Big Ten history. Had no shot at the NFL.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
It's the opposite. They did him a huge favor. He can always say he wore an NFL uniform.

That's my thought. Gave him a shot, let him play in a game at Soldier in front of all his friends and family. I'm sure he made a good 20k or whatever it is for his time in the preseason as well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
My heart is not big enough to feel sorry for Jordan Lynch. All my sorrow has been spent on Ricky "Raw Deal" Renteria.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:17 pm 

Tresty was on the horn immediately after the draft convincing him he had all kinds of things for him to do (setting up the weight room, managing towel inventory, etc).

That is a fact, per local media reports.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:22 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Chus wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Lynch had alternatives.

This.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:14 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
My heart is not big enough to feel sorry for Jordan Lynch. All my sorrow has been spent on Ricky "Raw Deal" Renteria.

LOL. Good comparison.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:49 pm 

Really strange article. Kept waiting for the big "revelation" but it never happened.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:35 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
spanky wrote:
Really strange article. Kept waiting for the big "revelation" but it never happened.

Yeah. I read it yesterday. I think it shows how promises are made by people who could care less about the individual. It really put both the GM & the HC in a bad light. I'm sure this happens all over the NFL though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:17 pm 

pizza_Place: NEW YORK STYLE PEPPERONI FROM LOMBARDI'S IN MANHATTAN.
Exactly who in their right mind was expecting Jordan Lynch to play in the N.F.L. as a tailback??? Who expected him to play in the N.F.L.?

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:23 pm 

What Rozner calls worst case scenario was what I thought would be his best case scenario: two years on the practice squad learning to be third down back and special teams ace with a shot at the big show in year 3.

There was really no reason to invite him to camp unless you were devoted to putting him on the practice squad. His accuracy was not up to NFL standards to play QB so he had to learn a new position. I hope he sticks with it. I think he could still be like Woodside on the Chargers.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:25 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
What Rozner calls worst case scenario was what I thought would be his best case scenario: two years on the practice squad learning to be third down back and special teams ace with a shot at the big show in year 3.

There was really no reason to invite him to camp unless you were devoted to putting him on the practice squad. His accuracy was not up to NFL standards to play QB so he had to learn a new position. I hope he sticks with it. I think he could still be like Woodside on the Chargers.

THATS EXACTLY RIGHT!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:43 pm 

Aggravated Sox Fan Bob wrote:
Exactly who in their right mind was expecting Jordan Lynch to play in the N.F.L. as a tailback??? Who expected him to play in the N.F.L.?

Barry Rozner and most of Mt. Greenwood.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:18 pm 

Scored game winning TD in Grey Cup!!

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:23 pm 

conns7901 wrote:

Did Henry Burris throw him the pass?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:27 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

Did Henry Burris throw him the pass?

Moses Moreno.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:29 pm 

I thought he could be a punt returner, scat-back type of guy. special teamer.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:35 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
I thought he could be a punt returner, scat-back type of guy. special teamer.

So did Marc Mariani.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Lugi's of Hong Kong
Say what you will about Barry and his horrible nonstop sayings but for a man his age he has some youthful looking hair.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:22 pm 

His current venom has been targeted at the parity of the NFL. I always found that line of thinking interesting because it suggests you would rather have an uncompetitive league. Folks lament the haves and have nots in baseball as the payroll system is out of whack. But then those same folks are upset about salary cap induced balance.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Huh? The NFL is as stratified as it's ever been in the salary-cap era. What's Rozner on?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:46 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Huh? The NFL is as stratified as it's ever been in the salary-cap era. What's Rozner on?

He is trying to explain the Bears "success" and has concluded there are no good teams in the NFL. Well but three to so.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:48 pm 

Here's a sample for you.

"Well, with all due respect to John Fox and his staff, this is more about the NFL than it is the Bears. Far beyond parity, the NFL has simply run short of talent and there are very few teams you could classify as better than the rest.

There's maybe three or four teams that rise above the pack, and the rest are all the same.

The Bears are in that group. They can win any game left on their schedule, and they can lose any game left on their schedule.

Nearly every game played by every team is a tossup."