It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 952 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 32  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:49 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I believe they've covered every spread so far because nobody can grasp the concept that Illinois can score points.

So, for all you degenerate gamblers out there, Happy Thanksgiving.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:51 pm 

Herb has already become his annoying self regarding this team.

Kentucky better watch out

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:01 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
You know I'm generally a pessimistic realist when it comes to all things Illini. But this team might have a little something.

There are glaring weaknesses at point guard and low post offense but they throw waves of guys at you with talent that can actually score. Something might be brewing here.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:06 am 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
You know I'm generally a pessimistic realist when it comes to all things Illini.

:lol: :lol:

Doc, I can appreciate how you set yourself up for disappointment every year.

You would think you are a Cub fan as well...

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:09 am 

Go Cats!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:12 am 

Alright, I'll say it. I'm not proud of this thought.

But, watching the team so far, I've been.....slightly.....reminded of the Flyin' Illini.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:18 am 

The 05 or 89 version?

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:19 am 

1989. Just a bunch of athletes.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:20 am 

2005 weren't ever considered Flyin' Illini...for the record.

That's a strictly 1989 thing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:32 am 

2005 weren't ever considered Flyin' Illini...for the record.

That's a strictly 1989 thing.

My apologizes

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:11 pm 

Ok I am keeping my eye on the flying Illini tonight vs Baylor

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:45 am 

Doc, your boys are athletic. Impressive game.

Will be curious to see how that style plays in the Big 10 schedule.

They jack a lot of bad shots when it seems they could get to the basket at any time they want.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:22 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
RFDC wrote:
Doc, your boys are athletic. Impressive game.

Really? I thought they played a shitty first half. My concern is that they're going to have trouble with big, physical teams. Baylor is big and physical but they aren't that great and they still gave the Illini problems. I'm sure Black is going to develop as the season goes, but they really need to be able to get some meaningful minutes out of Morgan.

RFDC wrote:
They jack a lot of bad shots when it seems they could get to the basket at any time they want.

I didn't think they could get to the basket at will last night. Baylor played a pretty tight zone. I know Rice isn't a terrible shooter, and he even has times when he can get on a roll and stroke a bunch of threes. Last year when he pretty much was the offense most of the time, I had no problem with him taking those shots, but now that they've got these other guys who can really pop from out there, I just want Rice to do his thing and slash his way to the hoop. I don't want to see him forcing up bad shots from the baseline corners.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:28 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Mr. Reason wrote:
Indiana St. sucks.

I think Bird could start for them now. At least I can watch this game. You know, there is no excuse for the games to not be on tv in the university hometown.

That's what you get for living in the Hardcore American South.

How did they do television before the rise of the glorious Big Ten Network? Were the games syndicated to in-market UHF stations and stuff? I think that's how the ACC used to do football with that Jefferson-Pilot package or whatever it was called.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:55 am 

pizza_Place: Gem City
I believe they've covered every spread so far because nobody can grasp the concept that Illinois can score points.

So, for all you degenerate gamblers out there, Happy Thanksgiving.

Hard to believe the spread was only 9 against Georgia Southern.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:52 am 

Sorry. They're 5-1 ATS.

Tough crowd.

I like Starks and Cosby's ability to attack the defense by driving/passing inside and playing inside out.

In the past, they would have just passed around the exterior for 30 seconds and then have Rice drive for a contested shot.

They didn't look very sharp but I don't think too many teams are going to look pretty playing Baylor unless they are burying shots. Even so, a little better shooting in the first half and make free throws and they win that game by 15-20.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:23 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I enjoyed watching them win the tourney in Vegas. Tomorrow @ Miami should be a heck of a game.
I'd like to see some revenge from the NCAA tournament two years ago. Still think they should have won
that game.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:09 am 

Miami are 4.5 point favorites at home tonight. I'll be checking out the 8pm tip for sure.
If the Illini can clamp down on D and grab some boards I suspect they will walk out a winner,
but should be a close contest.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:37 pm 

Another atrocious shooting night.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:36 pm 

This analyst is horrible. She never speaks.

There were 6 straight possessions where she never spoke.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:45 pm 

:lol: maybe yall lulled her to sleep

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
This analyst is horrible. She never speaks.

There were 6 straight possessions where she never spoke.

She was probably throwing up from watching this game.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:51 pm 

Illinois players basketball IQ is riiiight about here.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
So what you're saying is the Illini aren't #gatheryewins-ing? #‎TheFreightTrainIsDerailed.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:32 am 

They shot horribly in the first half but kept themselves in the game and even made a run or two in the
first 12 minutes of the 2nd half. Just an off game for them. Miami really didn't impress me much. I
really dislike Egwu's game. What a waste of human skin. The Illini will make some minor waves in the
Big Ten this year and hopefully make the NCAA but you can't win consistently with a 4 guard starting
lineup in this conference. They need rebounding help and that has been the case for 10 years now.
Get some rebounding in there last night and they win the game after picking up all the bricks they
launched.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:43 am 

They need Leron Black to step up this season and provide some rebounding and D down low. If he does that, they could be pretty good.

Interesting that Morgan looks like he's been benched in favor of Colbert which is kind of too bad because Morgan has the beef to move some people down low but he's also probably the first guy in NCAA history to have a Fouls/Second statistic.

The Illini have to be one of the worst teams ever at put-back shots. It's like they throw them up there blind, backwards, and with their off-hand.

They don't have the type of offense to compete night in and night out but they'll be able to beat anybody if they start getting hot with their shooting. Should still be a pretty entertaining season to watch.

I don't think you're going to see any Bruce Weber-special 36-32 victories or losses.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:52 am 

They need Leron Black to step up this season and provide some rebounding and D down low. If he does that, they could be pretty good.

Interesting that Morgan looks like he's been benched in favor of Colbert which is kind of too bad because Morgan has the beef to move some people down low but he's also probably the first guy in NCAA history to have a Fouls/Second statistic.

The Illini have to be one of the worst teams ever at put-back shots. It's like they throw them up there blind, backwards, and with their off-hand.

They don't have the type of offense to compete night in and night out but they'll be able to beat anybody if they start getting hot with their shooting. Should still be a pretty entertaining season to watch.

I don't think you're going to see any Bruce Weber-special 36-32 victories or losses.

This was the first full game I watched this season and based on previous articles and box scores I certainly expected
more from Black, but Cosby and Starks were a combined 2-20 from the field. Yuck! Hill showed some promise in my
eyes. He plays pretty big for a 6'6 guy. They will be fun enough to watch. I'm glad they don't play a ton of cream
puffs heading into Big Ten play. Villanova in a week followed by Oregon and then the annual battle with Mizzou
should get them ready for a meat grinder Big Ten slate.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:56 am 

Black has played better in previous games. Some effective minutes with more polish offensively in flashes around the rim.

I think, ultimately, their best lineup would be -

Starks
Rice
Hill
Black
Egwu

That would give them some size everywhere except for Starks. Hill and Rice would be your go-to threats offensively with Egwu and Black active on the boards. When Hill is playing the 4, there are too many guys on the perimeter and it's just Egwu down there fighting 3 other guys for a rebound. Black stays closer to the rim.

Then you bring Cosby and Nunn in off the bench for scoring. Tate and Colbert can't score or do much else.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:33 am 

Black has played better in previous games. Some effective minutes with more polish offensively in flashes around the rim.

Starks
Rice
Hill
Black
Egwu

That would give them some size everywhere except for Starks. Hill and Rice would be your go-to threats offensively with Egwu and Black active on the boards. When Hill is playing the 4, there are too many guys on the perimeter and it's just Egwu down there fighting 3 other guys for a rebound. Black stays closer to the rim.

Then you bring Cosby and Nunn in off the bench for scoring. Tate and Colbert can't score or do much else.

I don't disagree with most of your analysis but I chuckled when I read the underlined portion. I just have an axe to
grind with Egwu. He does 3 bad things for every 1 good thing in my eyes. One of the times he actually got under
the basket and grabbed a board last night he tunred around and passed it right back to Miami. He has no business
heaving Manute Bol-like 3's from the perimeter. Also if you are going to foul someone then get your money's worth
instead of taking hand fouls 15 ft from the hoop. The Illini have had a number of weak 7 footers the past 15 years
but this guy takes the cake, at leas the other guys knew their role and didn't think the offense revolved around them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:41 am 

T-Bone wrote:

Starks
Rice
Hill
Black
Egwu

I don't disagree with most of your analysis but I chuckled when I read the underlined portion. I just have an axe to
grind with Egwu. He does 3 bad things for every 1 good thing in my eyes. One of the times he actually got under
the basket and grabbed a board last night he tunred around and passed it right back to Miami. He has no business
heaving Manute Bol-like 3's from the perimeter. Also if you are going to foul someone then get your money's worth
instead of taking hand fouls 15 ft from the hoop. The Illini have had a number of weak 7 footers the past 15 years
but this guy takes the cake, at leas the other guys knew their role and didn't think the offense revolved around them.

With everyone else chucking up 3's from the cheap seats, Illinois certainly doesn't need Egwu doing the same. The whole team is bad at rebounding. No one boxes out anyone. They are also awful at on-ball defense.

Every single trip down the floor, Illinois should be driving the lane. The entire lineup is slashers, but half the time they stand around the three point line for 30 seconds then toss up some shit.

Groce seems like a strong recruiter, but I haven't been impressed with his coaching ability yet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 952 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 32  Next