It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
cluv8484 wrote:
Yeah I didn't get to see the replay, they wouldn't show it...

Just rewound (guessing that's an outdated term) the DVR once they said they wouldn't show it. Oddly, wouldn't have bothered if they hadn't made a point of not showing it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Sausage
break the skin? assuming not cause they said they weren't going to the hospital

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:53 pm 

Arghhh dude has got to learn how to improve the long pass

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:57 pm 

cluv8484 wrote:
break the skin? assuming not cause they said they weren't going to the hospital

No. Looked like when you bend Stretch Armstrong's arms.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:04 pm 

Not impressed with WR Brown. Seems to have alligator arms and should have caught that last pass for a TD. I haven't seen many games this season but it appears that he is NIU's best receiver based on the number of targets. Is that correct?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:08 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Not impressed with WR Brown. Seems to have alligator arms and should have caught that last pass for a TD. I haven't seen many games this season but it appears that he is NIU's best receiver based on the number of targets. Is that correct?

I can understand your thoughts, but yeah he has been our stud...he botched the catch by the pilon, should have had that....the deep ball eh maybe he dives and makes the catch or seperates his sholder and they can't afford that....he should get some sniffs in the league...he runs routes great and generally is a great player....barf that DB, a true freshman, just got pantsd....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Is Bowling Green somehow immune from penalties? The total bullshit flag pick up on the facemask, on that last drive the NIU DE got ripped down by his arm and then the wr just spiked the ball in the endzone. If there was a replay of the Beebe play Im pretty sure I would have seen a BG player drive him into the ground OB and break his arm. Clean your act up Zebras.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:13 pm 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
Is Bowling Green somehow immune from penalties? The total bullshit flag pick up on the facemask, on that last drive the NIU DE got ripped down by his arm and then the wr just spiked the ball in the endzone. If there was a replay of the Beebe play Im pretty sure I would have seen a BG player drive him into the ground OB and break his arm. Clean your act up Zebras.

Lord only knows man....2 years ago when we played Kent State in the MAC Championship they were not penalized THE ENTIRE GAME!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Classy move by 53 on BG to try and choke out Santa.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:11 pm 

WOW tell me you saw that catch by brown Zipp!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:29 pm 

cluv8484 wrote:
WOW tell me you saw that catch by brown Zipp!!!!

Saw it. Liked it. :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:34 pm 

They're rolling now...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:11 am 

NIU now MAC Champions in three of the last four years!

Impressive what we've been able to build with so little money. I was just looking at the revenues for college athletic programs and NIU was near the bottom at $23.5 million in revenue.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
If Boise State loses to Fresno State tonight in the MWC championship game, NIU will most likely play in a New Years Day bowl game. This will be the first time that I root against Boise State.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:08 pm 

Yes, root for Fresno, but they aren't any good this year. Utah State was our best bet to give Boise another loss and they got throttled.

Louisiana Tech beating Marshall helps too. There's no way they give Marshall the spot over us if they have two losses. LT apparently had starters suspended before the game due to academics but they are winning 23-16 in the 4th quarter right now.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
I am in on L tech. lotsa Sharps jumped on this one. Drive the line down from +12 to +9 at kick, thats some really HUGE money that came in late and I assure you it wasnt my hundo!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:39 pm 

Looks like Marshall will squeak by with a 26-23 win over LT. LT missed a 49-yard FG and Marshall drove and scored a TD then LT throws an INT first pass.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Marshall with the fumble on Victory formation, ball rolls to L tech side and huge pile up. ESPN announcers ignored it. Mentioned it in passing like it wasnt a big deal. No replay. Just ended game. WOW

I win the +9, but would love to see that replay!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:13 pm 

LEt's go....FRESNO!!!! Maybe some more magic this year like in 2012?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:57 pm 

NIU vs Marshall in the Boca Raton Bowl 12/23

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
That's a really good game.
I was there the last time Marshall played NIU in DeKalb in 2001.
Byron Leftwich destroyed them. We were cold and left at the half.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
FAU's stadium is very nice. I don't think anyone goes to it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:22 am 

spanky wrote:
NIU vs Marshall in the Boca Raton Bowl 12/23

That is going to be one of those great small bowl matchups that get highlighted.

NIU is rolling. Their defense has been fantastic over the last month

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:54 pm 

Marshall (-11)
Yikes. I expected NIU to be the underdog but that seems crazy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:01 am 

spanky wrote:
Marshall (-11)
Yikes. I expected NIU to be the underdog but that seems crazy

I think I'd take some of that action. Marshall is an overvalued team because they had some name recognition early in the year. The second half of their season hasn't been all that impressive. It's not like NIU doesn't have the horses to keep up.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:20 am 

I love the +11......like you pointed out Dolphin, NIU's defense has been balling out lately and the whole team has been rolling these past 6 quarters (for what it's worth). Does NIU have the potential to play down, yeah sure, they haven't had any impressive wins this season aside from the MACC, but I'll take the momentum we have right now and pop that +11. Marshall struggled at home against a Louisiana Tech team that suspended 5 starters a day before the game.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:48 am 

The one thing about Marshall is that they have a senior QB looking to have a statement game for scouts.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:06 am 

Its a good matchup. I've seen many writers picking it as one of the top matchups outside of the Year Year's 6 games.

Marshall not too impressive the last couple games but they still have a pretty capable offense. NIU finally starting to put it together on offense and defense at the right time. Hopefully we keep it up.

Akeem Daniels is starting to come on for us too. He has been hurt most of the season and hasn't played much but has come on the last two games. So he will have a couple weeks of rest. Too bad about losing Chad Beebe but Saffold and Turner should be able to pick up for him.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:22 am 

good dolphin wrote:
The one thing about Marshall is that they have a senior QB looking to have a statement game for scouts.

No way that dude is playing on Sundays, I've only seen limited film of Cato, but he doesn't seem to have much of an arm...a lot of ducks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
You want NIU press, well you need to read Rozner. He has his Maddux-esque chubby for NIU. It seems like every third column is about the Huskies. I am glad I pay $39.60 a month for this junk.

"When Northern Illinois unveiled a privately funded, $138-million plan to build new athletic facilities and double the capacity of Huskie Stadium a few weeks ago, there was widespread enthusiasm among the alumni base.

After all, it has been nearly 25 years since NIU devised an "Athletics Facility Master Plan," and it naturally got fans wondering if there was something more afoot.

And that was before TCU and Baylor were shut out of the College Football Playoff in large part because the 10-team conference no longer has enough schools for a conference championship game.

Since then, the Big 12 has reportedly contacted Cincinnati to gauge interest, and many wonder if NIU is next.

The Huskies sport the largest alumni base in the Chicago area, some 200,000 strong, and could offer the Big 12 a TV market and presence it currently doesn't possess -- not to mention a football team with more wins (57) than any FBS team since 2010, except Oregon (59), Alabama (58) and Florida State (58).

When asked, however, NIU athletic director Sean Frazier would not bite.

"We're very loyal to the Mid-American Conference," he said. "The MAC history and the history of NIU in the MAC, there's just too much there."

The stadium might expand to as much as 42,000, which could potentially fit in the Big 12, where the average capacity is currently 60,000, including 45,000-seat stadiums at TCU and Baylor, which just opened a new McLane Stadium in 2014.

"Our focus is on the being the best comprehensive athletic and academic program in the MAC," Frazier said. "We've had great success in football and now we have to equal that in other sports. We need this plan in order to compete."

The plan provides new facilities for baseball, tennis and Olympic Sports, and upgrades to the softball field, soccer and track complex, and the Convocation Center.

Huskie Stadium would receive a major makeover with the creation of an enclosed south end zone, improvements on the west side and major upgrades on the east with premium suites and club seating.

"That can give us the competitive advantage we need to be on the national stage," Frazier said. "But this is about much more than football."

Obvious long before this study was the fact that the athletic campus is not generally available to NIU students and community because of its location. It's not a lively part of the campus atmosphere, something Frazier desperately wants to change and make available to everyone in DeKalb and the surrounding communities.

"The whole idea here is to make the Huskie Stadium section of the plan include housing and academic and administrative, not just a football stadium for six or seven games a year," Frazier said. "Our vision is to have that part of the campus open 365 days a year.

"We hope to have people come to the stadium complex and be part of the fabric. I love that idea. I love those pieces. It's all part of the discussion, so hopefully we can create that synergy. We want everyone engaged in what we do."

Engaged is a Frazier trademark. He is frenetic at his quietest, always aggressive and looking to upgrade. He's why NIU didn't take the easy way out (Arkansas State) with the obvious bowl game (GoDaddy), upgrading to a tougher opponent (Marshall) in an attractive location (Boca).

And it's why you shouldn't doubt that Frazier will set his sights high, regardless of circumstances or skepticism.

"The most exciting thing is we have a road map for the future," Frazier said of the new facilities plan. "There hasn't been a new one since 1991, this type strategic thought and process.

"It's the kind of coordinated effort with the campus and all sports that we need in order to grow, but it involves more than sports. It's a comprehensive plan for athletics within the fabric of the institution. It's really exciting."

And the reason it can work, says Frazier, is NIU president Doug Baker.

"He is the definition of a visionary," Frazier said. "He has high energy and high expectations. He's all about the student experience, and he's one of those guys who has an infectious attitude about it.

"He wants to get it right for the student. That's what it's about. It's all rooted in the quality student experience. We want all students to have that excitement factor, and we want our alumni to come back and feel that and be a part of that and be prideful in what they see and experience.

"That builds so much energy on campus when you have that synergy with the students. I've seen it elsewhere and we want that here."

Private money also financed the study, and Frazier says the time is now to move on it.

"This is for the greater good of student engagement and enrollment. It's essential," Frazier said. "You're either moving forward or moving back. There's no such thing as standing still."

That's something Frazier wouldn't know anything about.

brozner@dailyherald.com

• Hear Barry Rozner on WSCR 670-AM and follow him @BarryRozner on Twitter."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next