It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Dahl is back
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Dahl IS back! He ate 27 pot stickers last night.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:41 pm 

Cheryl Scott on with Dahl now. They're going to do a bowling outing. She's a real "jock" sniffer.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Missed it. She can't be as clever as Amy Stone. I loved her. Fun and funny. Scott has a much tighter bootie though.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:23 pm 

Joe Walsh appearance! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:25 pm 

I haven't felt compelled to listen to a minute of this yet and he was my favorite DJ in my youth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
From today's Feder... Dahl to write the final chapter on Disco Demolition Night at Comiskey.

Thirty-five years after he rocked Chicago and blew up the music world in what became the most infamous radio promotion of all time, Steve Dahl hopes to clear the air about Disco Demolition with a definitive book on the event.

The Chicago radio legend is teaming with author Dave Hoekstra and photographer Paul Natkin to write Disco Demolition: the Death of Disco. It’s set for release in April 2016 by Curbside Splendor, an independent publisher based in Humboldt Park.

In addition to recalling his memories of July 12, 1979, Dahl said he hoped the book would put the legacy of the controversial incident in its proper perspective.

“I wanted to make sure that there is both an oral and pictorial history of what really happened that night,” he said. “As we get further from the event, people tend to assign different meanings to it. It really was about saving rock and roll.”

Dahl was the 24-year-old morning host at WLUP FM 97.9 when he hosted an anti-disco stunt at Comiskey Park between games at a double-header. After he exploded a box of disco records and thousands of drunken fans stormed the field in the ensuing riot, the damage was so severe that the White Sox had to forfeit their second game against the Detroit Tigers.

Despite Dahl’s vehement denials, critics would say Disco Demolition tapped into racism and homophobia. “We were a bunch of disenfranchised 20-something rockers having some laughs at the expense of older brothers who had the capital and the clothing to hang with the trendy social elite,” Dahl wrote in an essay for Crain’s Chicago Business last July. “We were letting off a little steam. Any statement to the contrary is just plain wrong.”

According to the publisher, Disco Demolition: the Death of Disco will feature interviews with Mike Veeck (son of former White Sox president Bill Veeck), disco artist Nile Rodgers, former and current White Sox players including play-by-play announcer Ed Farmer, house music DJs and others. Those will be written by Hoekstra, the former Sun-Times columnist and critic who signed on last week as a weekend host at Tribune Media news/talk WGN AM 720.

Providing an “immersive visual narrative” in the book will be exclusive images captured by Natkin, who was present as official photographer for the Loop that night.

After a six-year absence from terrestrial radio, during which he launched a subscription podcast venture, Dahl returned last month as afternoon personality on Cumulus Media news/talk WLS AM 890.

Dahl’s latest project is unrelated to earlier plans for a book on Disco Demolition, which did not come to fruition after University of Chicago Press passed on it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:51 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:13 am 

Godfella wrote:
From today's Feder... Dahl to write the final chapter on Disco Demolition Night at Comiskey.

Thirty-five years after he rocked Chicago and blew up the music world in what became the most infamous radio promotion of all time, Steve Dahl hopes to clear the air about Disco Demolition with a definitive book on the event.

The Chicago radio legend is teaming with author Dave Hoekstra and photographer Paul Natkin to write Disco Demolition: the Death of Disco. It’s set for release in April 2016 by Curbside Splendor, an independent publisher based in Humboldt Park.

In addition to recalling his memories of July 12, 1979, Dahl said he hoped the book would put the legacy of the controversial incident in its proper perspective.

“I wanted to make sure that there is both an oral and pictorial history of what really happened that night,” he said. “As we get further from the event, people tend to assign different meanings to it. It really was about saving rock and roll.”

Dahl was the 24-year-old morning host at WLUP FM 97.9 when he hosted an anti-disco stunt at Comiskey Park between games at a double-header. After he exploded a box of disco records and thousands of drunken fans stormed the field in the ensuing riot, the damage was so severe that the White Sox had to forfeit their second game against the Detroit Tigers.

Despite Dahl’s vehement denials, critics would say Disco Demolition tapped into racism and homophobia. “We were a bunch of disenfranchised 20-something rockers having some laughs at the expense of older brothers who had the capital and the clothing to hang with the trendy social elite,” Dahl wrote in an essay for Crain’s Chicago Business last July. “We were letting off a little steam. Any statement to the contrary is just plain wrong.”

According to the publisher, Disco Demolition: the Death of Disco will feature interviews with Mike Veeck (son of former White Sox president Bill Veeck), disco artist Nile Rodgers, former and current White Sox players including play-by-play announcer Ed Farmer, house music DJs and others. Those will be written by Hoekstra, the former Sun-Times columnist and critic who signed on last week as a weekend host at Tribune Media news/talk WGN AM 720.

Providing an “immersive visual narrative” in the book will be exclusive images captured by Natkin, who was present as official photographer for the Loop that night.

After a six-year absence from terrestrial radio, during which he launched a subscription podcast venture, Dahl returned last month as afternoon personality on Cumulus Media news/talk WLS AM 890.

Dahl’s latest project is unrelated to earlier plans for a book on Disco Demolition, which did not come to fruition after University of Chicago Press passed on it.

I think someone could make a great movie with disco demolition as the backdrop kind of in the manner of Son of Sam. The world was kind of at a crossroads. Jimmy Piersall's narration of the event is such a perfect example of that intersection.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:28 am 

Ugh, who really cares about this shit anymore?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:47 am 

Dahl is upset b/c people now think the anti-disco movement was anti-homosexual. He doesn't want to be associated with that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:16 am 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
It will be interesting to see how much Dahl includes/excludes Garry Meier's name in this new project.

No way Meier agrees to be interviewed for this. I would be surprised if he did.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:00 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I tried listening the other day. Nobody was a bigger S&G fan than I was back in the day.

Pretty much unlistenable. That Brandon kid laughed at every sentence Dahl said. Every single one. Dahl could say "I filled my car on the way in" and it would elicit a hardy chuckle from the guy. It was like Hub was next to him.

It was awful.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:02 pm 

Brendan. :lol:

He's 36.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Has he managed to put his amazingly not talented son on the air with him yet?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:44 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:

Couldn't remember which was which and was disturbed to find that Patrick Dahl with the cushy Hawks "marketing" gig was sired by none other than Steve Cochran.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:45 pm 

I think there was one phone call from Mr Skin headquarters and Pat Dahl.

RE: Rick's Burrito shipments from LA.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:09 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:

I didnt mind his son's show back in the WCKG days. Him and Brandon together was not a terrible listen.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:11 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Douchebag wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

I didnt mind his son's show back in the WCKG days. Him and Brandon together was not a terrible listen.

Yeah,I caught some of the kid's show,not bad. It just bothered me he was there because of daddy.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:14 pm 

Godfella wrote:

So I am watching the Xmas classic White Christmas. I wonder if this book will finally reveal the truth behind Eggs Danny Kaye-style.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:21 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
It was Danny Thomas style and you don't want to know.

Hey! Hey!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:24 pm 

Doh! You're right. I think I looked it up once bit forgot.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:23 pm 
1000 CLUB

badrogue17 wrote:
spmack wrote:
Bunch of old heads posting here. I don't see the RPB's, DB's, or Bagels of the world saying how this is will be must listen to radio. I'm still hoping for McNeil + Goff but I guess that's a pipe dream. Maybe Dahl + McNeil + Goff? DMG!!!

Well if the zenith of radio gold to a lot of people here were the glory days of when B&B were "good" , to us old heads they couldn't touch how good Steve and Garry were . Not even in the same ballpark.

Not even the same sport. Dahl & Meier at their peak was the best show ever. Yes, Stern included!

Let's do it for Johnny!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:38 pm 
1000 CLUB

Hatchetman wrote:
Brendan is Dahl's connection to the modern world. He is OK. Likeable enough. The dopey Wayne Stylie.

I like Dag and Brendan. Dahl doesn't talk much golf anymore, and has fallen of the diet, so you don't have to hear how many calories he's had today.
I can see how an 18-35 year old would hate it. I've felt like I've known the guy for 35 years, so to me his show today is a natural progression of his life. I'm amazed at least one of his boys isn't a stumbling alcoholic. Says a lot for Janet.

Let's do it for Johnny!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:52 pm 
1000 CLUB

I subscribe to the podcast, and will flip the radio show on once in awhile. I'd rather pay for 90 uncensored minutes than listen to homogenized radio for free. You can't say or talk about shit. Even some of Steve & Garry's classic bits would be verboten on radio today. Brenden can be too fake laughy, but I like the edge Dag brings. His dry sense of humor is good once you get used to it. Bring back Guacamole Wednesday with Frijole Joe too.

Let's do it for Johnny!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:14 pm 

Hey A7X, good to hear from you.

Hope things are on the straight and narrow.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8