It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
K Effective wrote:
Used to love the old Tony Kornheiser ESPN radio show when he would instantly hang up on "How you doing?' etc. The producers warned every caller DON'T say it, but some could just not help themselves.

I spent a day in the studio with Spike O'Dell (48) many years ago- the producer has their hands full weeding out the desired caller results- the Score guys must work hard to get those idiots on that you say they do, I'm sure there are a lot of coherent callers to dump before you get a "good" one

I don't think that's true.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Reared on the Score wrote:
Bernstein's past the point of no return with his newfound angst in callers merely saying 'hi' first.

Someone ought to bring this shit to a screeching halt. Did Mitch not realize that someone sighing and groaning every time a caller said "happy holidays" was brutal?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:39 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Bernstein's past the point of no return with his newfound angst in callers merely saying 'hi' first.

Someone ought to bring this shit to a screeching halt. Did Mitch not realize that someone sighing and groaning every time a caller said "happy holidays" was brutal?

Is that really happenning? Isnt the phrase "happy holidays" a running joke specifically on their show anyway?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:02 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Curious Hair wrote:

Yeah. First of all, does bernstein really think bitching, scolding, and/or sighing is better radio than simply allowing the caller to say hello? Second, it's just weird to start right in without some sort of pleasantry or an introduction. I think it's fairly normal to say hello before sharing my dislike of child rape and brain damage.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:12 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Is that really happenning? Isnt the phrase "happy holidays" a running joke specifically on their show anyway?

It was until last week! Terry must have taken the Yule log with him.

I mean, I get it with the Hub Rules because that's a whole call-in segment, but for regular callers, lighten up, geez.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Yeah. First of all, does bernstein really think bitching, scolding, and/or sighing is better radio than simply allowing the caller to say hello? Second, it's just weird to start right in without some sort of pleasantry or an introduction. I think it's fairly normal to say hello before sharing my dislike of child rape and brain damage.

Jerry Sandusky and Joe Paterno used to say hello to each other...

Saying hello = supporting child rape.

</Bernstein>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
K Effective wrote:
Used to love the old Tony Kornheiser ESPN radio show when he would instantly hang up on "How you doing?' etc. The producers warned every caller DON'T say it, but some could just not help themselves.

See, I'd much rather have the producers coaching this off the air then Dan warning everybody every day. He used to be big on the philosophy that his audience is the listener, not the caller, but here he is spending way too much energy on the calls.

The problem is Abbatacola, who is either too lazy to put in this work or (given his on-air interactions, maybe more likely) thinks fucking around with FOTS is hilarious anti-radio or something.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:46 pm 

I doubt I have listened to four hours of B and B since Thanksgiving.

I would bet I average about 4 hours of Mully and Hanley per week, 1 hour of B and B and 1 hour of Lawrence with weekend shows being another couple of hours.

I don't hear the sighs, the Hub rules or anything else really. I luckily miss most of the corporate cheerleading, my guys and ignorant analysis of statistics.

The Score is as limited a part of my day as at any point in its history.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Maciano's
City of Fools wrote:
K Effective wrote:

I spent a day in the studio with Spike O'Dell (48) many years ago- the producer has their hands full weeding out the desired caller results- the Score guys must work hard to get those idiots on that you say they do, I'm sure there are a lot of coherent callers to dump before you get a "good" one

I loved Tony. That was such a good show.

He's still got a show. It's on local DC radio, but plenty of national talk for non-DC sports fans.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Barry and Joe were on today talking about how they are not fans of the local teams. Idiots. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:38 pm 

The same Barry who said he makes sure he and his family go to one Hawks game together every year? He's not a fan? k

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:32 am 

The station as it is today wouldn't have lasted a year when launched. I used to call in, went to remotes, events, etc. With their popularity came longer hold times, so I began faxing. I took a promotion and one afternoon had two people under me get on the air, so a new policy was formed with no more calling in or faxing. After 9/11 the shows changed as did their stance towards callers, also faxing begat emails, texting, and now tweets. Tom Shaer used to edit my faxes to change my statement, nowadays they cull tweets and texts to suit their purpose.

I can't remember when I last called, faxing was 1999, emails was in 2010. My last B&B event was 2012 (around me regularly but I no longer care), saw Mac in 2014.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:35 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Dan's theory is to have half the people hate him, half love him. He thinks it is some kind of secret recipe. The secret recipe is have an afternoon show on the cities 24 hr sports talk station, but I promise he would tell you different.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:41 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
to be fair, they started as a mid-morning show, but I do think the switch to afternoons changed their manner...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:18 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Hatchetman wrote:
Barry and Joe were on today talking about how they are not fans of the local teams. Idiots. :lol:

:lol: :lol: How do they explain the jizz that's still crusting their underwear from the Maddon and Lester signings?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:09 pm 

The "secret" is that the competition is content to maintain the status quo. They're #2 and they don't have to make much of an effort. Hell, they dumped a big shooter like Mac and didn't replace him or miss him.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:14 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
The score also does not breed talent any longer. Today it is CBS radio. If it were mine you woul dhave all the Herb, Shep, Jay Z's etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:07 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
City of Fools wrote:
to be fair, they started as a mid-morning show, but I do think the switch to afternoons changed their manner...

Loved the old time slot show.