It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Quote:
WGN drafts sports players from The Game
posted on January 5, 2015 at 11:40 am by Robert Feder

The Game may be over, but “The Beat” goes on at news/talk WGN AM 720.

Jarrett Payton, Connor McKnight and Adam Hoge, three personalities from the recently canceled sports/talk station known as The Game at WGWG LP 87.7, have been tapped to host a new weekend sports show on WGN. Both stations are operated by Tribune Media.

Under the working title of “The Beat,” the show will air from 3 to 7 p.m. Saturdays and from 3 to 6 p.m. Sundays, starting this weekend. It will replace “Sports Central” with Glen Kozlowski and Jim Memolo, which aired for the last time Sunday.

“It’ll always have the thread of music and the lifestyle of the athlete running through it — but with the constant push for the fan’s curiosity,” Todd Manley, vice president of content and programming at WGN, said in announcing the addition to the lineup Monday. “The kind of details every good beat reporter gives you.”

Before key weekend Blackhawks games, “The Beat” will originate before a live audience at the United Center, Manley said.

Payton, McKnight and Hoge will sharing hosting duties in various combinations. Along with their new weekend show, all three will have additional duties, including making regular guest appearances on other WGN weekday programs, writing featured blogs for WGNplus.com and creating original content podcasts.

Nine months after launching The Game 87.7 FM, Tribune Media pulled the plug December 31 on the low-rated sports/talk venture, citing insufficient advertising revenue to sustain programming and talent costs. Until Weigel Broadcasting takes over the frequency with a new music format, as expected February 1, Tribune Media will simulcast WGN on the frequency, which is leased from Venture Technologies Group.

Two other survivors of The Game are David Kaplan and David Haugh, who continue to host their midday show on WGNplus.com and Comcast SportsNet Chicago. Kaplan, who’s under a long-term contract with WGN, also began making thrice-weekly appearances on Steve Cochran’s WGN morning show this week. Haugh is a sports columnist for the Chicago Tribune.

“We’ve tried to take some of the best things of The Game and reinsert them back into the AM,” Manley said. “Before there was a sports/talk station, there always was a thick thread of sports running through [WGN]. We now have an opportunity to do that again but in a new way.”

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
This is telling:

"We’ve tried to take some of the best things of The Game and reinsert them back into the AM".

I bet Finfer is at home wishing he would have been less outspoken on air at the news of his firing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:58 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
denisdman wrote:
This is telling:

"We’ve tried to take some of the best things of The Game and reinsert them back into the AM".

I bet Finfer is at home wishing he would have been less outspoken on air at the news of his firing.

I agree.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:01 pm 
1000 CLUB

So dropping Sports Central and starting The Beat was a salary dump of Koz and Memelo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:02 pm 

Score is doomed wrote:
So dropping Sports Central and starting The Beat was a salary dump of Koz and Memelo

A lot of that going on in radio and print.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
denisdman wrote:
This is telling:

They really think Jarrett Payton was one of the best things about the Game? Sheesh.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:04 pm 
1000 CLUB

denisdman wrote:
This is telling:

Yeah. I remember saying that at the time. Not a good idea to blast the boss when he's running WGN and you're looking for a landing spot. That certainly is the reason he's not there right now.

I think Finfer's exact quote of his bosses was "ARE THEY HUMAN?"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:07 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Score is doomed wrote:

Not necessarily.

I'm sure both were being paid per diem. Memolo has a daily gig on Sirius.

My guess is in an attempt to get get a younger demo.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:08 pm 

I love that Finfer went off on air in what was a genuine moment of disbelief. Since WGN took "the best", what does that say about GN's opinion of Benny?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:08 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
denisdman wrote:
This is telling:

They really think Jarrett Payton was one of the best things about the Game? Sheesh.

Over Finfer....that is one of the most telling things.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Well, its a start. I don't mind Jarrett & Connor, but I would prefer Finji over Hoge. I gotta believe that Kap rejoins WGN at some point...maybe with Mac?

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
denisdman wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
denisdman wrote:
This is telling:

I like Finfer. Payton was just brutal to listen to. Sorry Jarrett, you're not an interesting guy just a member of the lucky sperm club.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
badrogue17 wrote:
denisdman wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
denisdman wrote:
This is telling:

I like Finfer. Payton was just brutal to listen to. Sorry Jarrett, you're not an interesting guy just a member of the lucky sperm club.

Yeah, I think the fact that his last name is Payton is probably why he was kept around. If anything, they should have kept Jason McKie around. He's pretty decent.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Yea, Jason McKie & Jason Gotch was a good weekend show on The Game. I saw McKie on CSN the other night.

As for Payton, I think that he improved a lot while on the air at The Game.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Scorehead on Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
badrogue17 wrote:

Payton was terrible. He sounded like a bad caller.

McKnight and Hoge on the same show sounds like a rough go. They need someone (not Jarrett Payton) to balance them. Both will act put upon and sigh a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Barnaby's
Quote:
“It’ll always have the thread of music and the lifestyle of the athlete running through it — but with the constant push for the fan’s curiosity,” Todd Manley, vice president of content and programming at WGN, said in announcing the addition to the lineup Monday. “The kind of details every good beat reporter gives you.”

What is he talking about? Makes no sense.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:35 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
denisdman wrote:
I love that Finfer went off on air in what was a genuine moment of disbelief. Since WGN took "the best", what does that say about GN's opinion of Benny?

i'd say mcknight and hogs probably knew about their wgn landing spot before feder broke news.... unlike finfer

Hogs has to be in all time team photo for worst sportsradio beat guy.... schuster obviously doesnt care but i think hogs tries and is just bad at it.