It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Bagels wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Exercise will not overcome bad eating habits. I always exercised and was still 35 pounds overweight. You have to cut back on food portions and certain types of foods. Maybe if you exercised like a boxer in training, then you could eat a lot. Otherwise, exercise just tends to increase your appetite, and mentally, let's you think it is ok to consumer bad food.

denis says stop exercising immediately people

Dennis says exercise no matter what you eat. If you want to lose weight, then I politely suggest you learn portion control.

:)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Furious Styles wrote:
Nothing wrong with a cheat day once a week.

Wives might feel differently.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:02 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:

I have two main cheats:

1) We go out for ice cream every Friday night. I used to eat ice cream at least five days a week. Now I eat it once.

2) I still consume a moderate amount of beer.

I gave up most red meat, candy, chips and salsa, sugared soda, cheese, etc. While I loved all those things, I tell everyone that I ate enough of them by my 35th birthday to last a lifetime. I immediately dropped weight and kept it off. It sucks, but you know the alternative- Governor Christie.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

This is pretty essential. I read tracking your eating greatly assists weight loss. The nutritional information is crowd sourced so there are many items in the catalog which are confirmed by participants for accuracy. There's an app so you can log on your phone as well.

The hardest part of logging is when eating out or when making a meal from scratch (depending on what you make). Packaged or chain places are pretty easy but then their food is predominantly unhealthy.

Trying to get healthier sucks ass.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:16 pm 

Kirkwood, you could go all scientific about it, but it doesn't need that level of precision. My goodness, you know when you pick up a cola and french fries. Don't eat that stuff. When you go out for lunch get a chicken sandwich without cheese, and substitute a side salad for the fries. Unsweetened ice tea is a good way to avoid soda. You do that over your current habits, and you'll drop weight fast.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:25 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Kirkwood, you could go all scientific about it, but it doesn't need that level of precision. My goodness, you know when you pick up a cola and french fries. Don't eat that stuff. When you go out for lunch get a chicken sandwich without cheese, and substitute a side salad for the fries. Unsweetened ice tea is a good way to avoid soda. You do that over your current habits, and you'll drop weight fast.

Eh, I find logging keeps you accountable. Logging for a week or so a "standard" week gets you a baseline. You really open your eyes to where you can cut out items or make substitutions.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Kirkwood wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Eh, I find logging keeps you accountable. Logging for a week or so a "standard" week gets you a baseline. You really open your eyes to where you can cut out items or make substitutions.

Keeping a diet journal help me cut a bunch of weight. Excessive craft beers and taking time away from the gym assisted me in gaining it all back.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:39 pm 

Bagels wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
I was jogging much faster with no stopping except for pushups after every mile. .

you run a mile, then stop and do a set of push-ups ? that's impressive

I ran past a woman on the bike path this summer. She caught up to me when I was doing my pushups and said "now you're just showing off". I took off my shirt, threw it to her and said "just a little something to help you remember what you've seen here."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:40 pm 

pittmike wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:10 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
redskingreg wrote:
No cauliflower?

I make an exception for eggs, Cauliflower & rice with sushi. But no milk, cream cheese, sour cream, cottage cheese, pasta...you get the idea.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:14 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
denisdman wrote:

I agree 100%. People make diet rocket science with tracking, apps, meetings, charts, ordering food from a diet service, etc... What drives me nuts is the people who go to the store & buy a cart full of healthy choice microwave dinners & think they are healthy. There is loads of crap & chemicals in those meals.
Give up red meet? No...that isn't happening.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:04 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
denisdman wrote:
Exercise will not overcome bad eating habits. I always exercised and was still 35 pounds overweight. You have to cut back on food portions and certain types of foods. Maybe if you exercised like a boxer in training, then you could eat a lot. Otherwise, exercise just tends to increase your appetite, and mentally, let's you think it is ok to consumer bad food.

I lost 70 lbs and for the most part have maintained that over a year. Your point is valid. Healthy food choices and portions go hand-in-hand with exercise. There are times, though, when I'm not saying know to burger and fires and a few sodas. I took too many of those due to being in social situations...not because I felt it was ok since I ran that day.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:35 am 

Scorehead wrote:
denisdman wrote:

I agree 100%. People make diet rocket science with tracking, apps, meetings, charts, ordering food from a diet service, etc... What drives me nuts is the people who go to the store & buy a cart full of healthy choice microwave dinners & think they are healthy. There is loads of crap & chemicals in those meals.
Give up red meet? No...that isn't happening.

yar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:46 am 

Scorehead wrote:
If you exercise daily but don't change your eating habits you wont lose weight.
This is just not true and it is the problem with a lot of these fad diets. They indoctrinate you into thinking they have figured out some magic formula that finally solves millions of years of human evolution.

Exercising is just as important as dietary changes. Humans are not designed to be as sedentary as most of them are. Building muscle increases weight loss and calorie burns. It's not like most people are eating 4,000 calorie diets every day.

Every fad diet around still basically does one thing: Consume less calories than you use in a day. I don't care if it is all high fat steaks, or pasta, or if it is tofu. This is just how it works.

Dietary changes are also important if you are simply eating too much but the average American would see more benefit by adding in 30 minutes of exersize than they would pretending like not eating pasta is some magic formula.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:47 am 

Rick is right.

:shock: I feel dirty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:35 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Bagels wrote:
denisdman wrote:

denis says stop exercising immediately people

Way ahead of him.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:37 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
good dolphin wrote:
Bagels wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
I was jogging much faster with no stopping except for pushups after every mile. .

I ran past a woman on the bike path this summer. She caught up to me when I was doing my pushups and said "now you're just showing off". I took off my shirt, threw it to her and said "just a little something to help you remember what you've seen here."

:lol:

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:15 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
spanky wrote:
Rick is right.

:shock: I feel dirty

He's not as right as he thinks he is.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:19 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Bagels wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Not really. Dolphin has to keep his blood sugar up.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:22 am 

Spaulding wrote:
He's not as right as he thinks he is.
:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:23 am 

Quote:
Twinkies. Nutty bars. Powdered donuts.

For 10 weeks, Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, ate one of these sugary cakelets every three hours, instead of meals. To add variety in his steady stream of Hostess and Little Debbie snacks, Haub munched on Doritos chips, sugary cereals and Oreos, too.

His premise: That in weight loss, pure calorie counting is what matters most -- not the nutritional value of the food.

The premise held up: On his "convenience store diet," he shed 27 pounds in two months.

For a class project, Haub limited himself to less than 1,800 calories a day. A man of Haub's pre-dieting size usually consumes about 2,600 calories daily. So he followed a basic principle of weight loss: He consumed significantly fewer calories than he burned.

His body mass index went from 28.8, considered overweight, to 24.9, which is normal. He now weighs 174 pounds.

But you might expect other indicators of health would have suffered. Not so.

Haub's "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent and his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent. He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent.

"That's where the head scratching comes," Haub said. "What does that mean? Does that mean I'm healthier? Or does it mean how we define health from a biology standpoint, that we're missing something?"

Haub's sample day
Espresso, Double: 6 calories; 0 grams of fat

Hostess Twinkies Golden Sponge Cake: 150 calories; 5 grams of fat

Centrum Advanced Formula From A To Zinc: 0 calories; 0 grams of fat

Little Debbie Star Crunch: 150 calories; 6 grams of fat

Hostess Twinkies Golden Sponge Cake: 150 calories; 5 grams of fat

Diet Mountain Dew: 0 calories; 0 grams of fat

Doritos Cool Ranch: 75 calories; 4 grams of fat

Kellogg's Corn Pops: 220 calories; 0 grams of fat

whole milk: 150 calories; 8 grams of fat

baby carrots: 18 calories; 0 grams of fat

Duncan Hines Family Style Brownie Chewy Fudge: 270 calories; 14 grams of fat

Little Debbie Zebra Cake: 160 calories; 8 grams of fat

Muscle Milk Protein Shake: 240 calories; 9 grams of fat

Totals: 1,589 calories and 59 grams of fat

Despite his temporary success, Haub does not recommend replicating his snack-centric diet.

"I'm not geared to say this is a good thing to do," he said. "I'm stuck in the middle. I guess that's the frustrating part. I can't give a concrete answer. There's not enough information to do that."

Two-thirds of his total intake came from junk food. He also took a multivitamin pill and drank a protein shake daily. And he ate vegetables, typically a can of green beans or three to four celery stalks.

Families who live in food deserts have limited access to fresh fruits and vegetables, so they often rely on the kind of food Haub was eating.

"These foods are consumed by lots of people," he said. "It may be an issue of portion size and moderation rather than total removal. I just think it's unrealistic to expect people to totally drop these foods for vegetables and fruits. It may be healthy, but not realistic."

Haub's body fat dropped from 33.4 to 24.9 percent. This posed the question: What matters more for weight loss, the quantity or quality of calories?

His success is probably a result of caloric reduction, said Dawn Jackson Blatner, a dietitian in Chicago, Illinois.

"It's a great reminder for weight loss that calories count," she said. "Is that the bottom line to being healthy? That's another story."

Blatner, a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association, said she's not surprised to hear Haub's health markers improved even when he loaded up on processed snack cakes.

Being overweight is the central problem that leads to complications like high blood pressure, diabetes and high cholesterol, she said.

How well are you managing your diabetes?

"When you lose weight, regardless of how you're doing it -- even if it's with packaged foods, generally you will see these markers improve when weight loss has improved," she said.

Before jumping on the Ding Dong bandwagon, Blatner warned of health concerns.

"There are things we can't measure," said Blatner, questioning how the lack of fruits and vegetables could affect long-term health. "How much does that affect the risk for cancer? We can't measure how diet changes affect our health."

On August 25, Haub, 41, started his cake diet focusing on portion control.

"I'm eating to the point of need and pushing the plate or wrapper away," he said.

He intended the trial to last a month as a teaching tool for his class. As he lost weight, Haub continued the diet until he reached a normal body mass index.

Before his Twinkie diet, he tried to eat a healthy diet that included whole grains, dietary fiber, berries and bananas, vegetables and occasional treats like pizza.

"There seems to be a disconnect between eating healthy and being healthy," Haub said. "It may not be the same. I was eating healthier, but I wasn't healthy. I was eating too much."

He maintained the same level of moderate physical activity as before going on the diet. (Haub does not have any ties to the snack cake companies.)

To avoid setting a bad example for his kids, Haub ate vegetables in front of his family. Away from the dinner table, he usually unwrapped his meals.

Haub monitored his body composition, blood pressure, cholesterol and glucose, and updated his progress on his Facebook page, Professor Haub's diet experiment.

To curb calories, he avoided meat, whole grains and fruits. Once he started adding meat into the diet four weeks ago, his cholesterol level increased.

Haub plans to add about 300 calories to his daily intake now that he's done with the diet. But he's not ditching snack cakes altogether. Despite his weight loss, Haub feels ambivalence.

"I wish I could say the outcomes are unhealthy. I wish I could say it's healthy. I'm not confident enough in doing that. That frustrates a lot of people. One side says it's irresponsible. It is unhealthy, but the data doesn't say that."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:54 am 

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1900510
Quote:
Conclusions and Relevance Significant weight loss was observed with any low-carbohydrate or low-fat diet. Weight loss differences between individual named diets were small. This supports the practice of recommending any diet that a patient will adhere to in order to lose weight.

Eat less calories than you use in a day. Being physically active helps with that. Lose weight.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:03 pm 

Yes, overall you need to burn more calories than you consume to lose weight. My broader point was that exercise does two things to most people:

1) Makes you hungrier
2) Mentally, gives you the green light to cheat more because you just worked out

Thus, for most normal people, exercise alone does not result in weight loss. And Kirkwood, I understand your point about it not mattering which types of calories you consume because they all count the same. Again, here are things to consider:

1) Certain foods, like fruits and vegetables have important vitamins and minerals.
2) You're going to get hungry and want to snack. Eating things like unsalted peanuts and fresh fruits is going to results in lower caloric intake than twinkies and doritos. Same thing applies to getting thirsty. I drink unsweetened seltzer waters instead of sugary drinks.

But if you fat slobs want to go on lecturing a guy who has lived sustained weight loss, then so be it. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:12 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Yes, overall you need to burn more calories than you consume to lose weight. My broader point was that exercise does two things to most people:

1) Makes you hungrier
2) Mentally, gives you the green light to cheat more because you just worked out
You may be slightly hungrier but it is a big net gain. I don't know why it would give you the green light to cheat more. You aren't really dieting if that is the case.
denisdman wrote:
Thus, for most normal people, exercise alone does not result in weight loss. And Kirkwood, I understand your point about it not mattering which types of calories you consume because they all count the same. Again, here are things to consider:
Exercise alone certainly results in weight loss. You can ruin it by eating too many calories of course. In that case though, you are simply gaining less weight.
denisdman wrote:
But if you fat slobs want to go on lecturing a guy who has lived sustained weight loss, then so be it. :)
Just because you did something in a less effective way doesn't mean it is the right way.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
i started running in August of '13. i lost 30+ pounds in the first 6 months on exercise alone, although i did limit my portions mores than in the past, but basically my diet was the same. i got down to 198 and that was it, i have not gotten any lower. exercise alone will allow you to lose some weight, but you reach a point where running alone only burns off so many calories that you reach the limit. my wife and i have agreed that we are going to make some positive changes in diet this year and i am interested to see with these changes if i can get down in the mid-180's where id like to be. part of the motivation for me is because i want to run further, faster.

it seems like a simple formula to me, take in less than you burn off, and right now i am at the break even point.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:26 pm 

denisdman wrote:

1) Makes you hungrier

1) Certain foods, like fruits and vegetables have important vitamins and minerals.
2) You're going to get hungry and want to snack. Eating things like unsalted peanuts and fresh fruits is going to results in lower caloric intake than twinkies and doritos. Same thing applies to getting thirsty. I drink unsweetened seltzer waters instead of sugary drinks.

All I wanted to show is calories burned>calories consumed equals weight loss. I'm on your side with diet being the primary vehicle towards weight loss.

Unless you have crazy discipline like the professor I too believe type of food matters. If what I've read isn't quackery then sugary, salty, junk food etc stimulate your brain to want to eat more. I don't think anyone doubts getting 100 calories from a banana is better than a Nabisco 100 cal snack pack. Most importantly for myself the trigger to trick my brain I'm satisfied as opposed to wanting more is valuable.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:28 pm 

Rick is 100% correct. I am silly for having brought up these issues. No guys ever says, I'll eat this snack and then go work it off later. Guys always restrain from eating the snack and then just work out instead. Additionally, no person has ever had a great workout, and then sits down and says, "I deserve to treat myself for such a great workout.". DID NOT HAPPEN. EVER.

There are no fat people in the gyms except for the ones that just started their membership.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
exercise has all kinds of positives besides weight loss - mental health effects might be more important. that being said I have never been able to get into a sustained, long-term exercise program.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Hatchetman wrote:
exercise has all kinds of positives besides weight loss - mental health effects might be more important. that being said I have never been able to get into a sustained, long-term exercise program.

I agree. I feel 100x better when I'm exercising regularly and watching what I eat. More energy , better mood ( :roll: ) , etc. Don't know why I cant do it 12 months a year instead of yo-yoing like I do. Never had to worry about it till I hit my 30's. It just sucks that all the things that taste so good are bad for you. :lol:

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:38 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Rick is 100% correct. I am silly for having brought up these issues. No guys ever says, I'll eat this snack and then go work it off later. Guys always restrain from eating the snack and then just work out instead. Additionally, no person has ever had a great workout, and then sits down and says, "I deserve to treat myself for such a great workout.". DID NOT HAPPEN. EVER.
Not everyone who is exercising is dieting. Of course you can waste your workout with a poor choice of eating. They aren't really trying to lose weight then though.

Imagine I want to save money so I don't get Bears season tickets. That will save me money. If I go to a bar instead and spend that same amount of money I didn't save any money either. A poor choice counteracts a positive choice.

That is basically what you are saying. Physical activity won't help you lose weight if you do something that counteracts the benefit. Well, of course.
denisdman wrote:
There are no fat people in the gyms except for the ones that just started their membership.
Poor strategies like you have said.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next