It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:37 pm 

Next two years Semi games are on Dec 31st.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/college-football-drop-ball-perfect-college-football-playoff.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=college-football-drop-ball-perfect-college-football-playoff

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:40 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Not sure why they do that. This was best NY Day in a long time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:44 pm 

"With the semifinals rotating every year, one might assume the Orange Bowl and Cotton Bowl would take the New Year’s Day timeslots next year and then the Peach Bowl and the Fiesta Bowl after that. Not so fast my friend. Instead, the College Football Playoff semifinals will take place on December 31st each of the next two years and not January 1st. That’s because the Rose Bowl and the Sugar Bowl are locked in to their New Year’s Day timeslots throughout the course of this contract."

Man, that would have just killed the joy of this year's games.
I spent the entire time watching that Bama/OSU game ignoring the actual action and saying to myself "self, I am absolutely ecstatic that this did not occur 24 hours earlier!"

Plus it's a 24-hour attention buffer from the NFL playoffs that will probably be played on 1/2.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:17 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Well this is disappointing...unless they are planning on expanding the tournament to 8 or 12 teams & playing games on both New Years Eve & New Years Day. Every other level of college football has a real football bracket tournament. 4 teams is a joke...but it is still better than the BCS.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Scorehead on Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:02 am 

This sounds like an absolutely awesome New Years Eve. The late game was hard to stay up for. Now, it will be rolled into NYE celebration.

This may prove to be better than having it on a day designed for people to be less hungover.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:23 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
This sounds like an absolutely awesome New Years Eve. The late game was hard to stay up for. Now, it will be rolled into NYE celebration.

This may prove to be better than having it on a day designed for people to be less hungover.

A lot, if not most, people work on NYE. This eliminates a portion of the audience immediately. I think it also eliminates another portion of casual watchers who are going out that night with no intention of flipping on football.

I remember that Bear game on NYE where Rex was making his plans for the night rather than practicing. I watched it during the party I attended. Most others did not.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:33 am 

good dolphin wrote:
A lot, if not most, people work on NYE. This eliminates a portion of the audience immediately. I think it also eliminates another portion of casual watchers who are going out that night with no intention of flipping on football.
Most people in 9-5 jobs work a half day at most I believe on NYE. The game will kick off late afternoon.
good dolphin wrote:
I remember that Bear game on NYE where Rex was making his plans for the night rather than practicing. I watched it during the party I attended. Most others did not.
People also work the day after NYD unless it takes place around a weekend.

Still though, I'm imagining a 3PM kickoff on NYE, then a 7PM kickoff for the second game, and then an hour or two of Seacrest and already getting excited.

NYE sucks until about 11PM anyways.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:49 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Most people in 9-5 jobs work a half day at most I believe on NYE. The game will kick off late afternoon.
good dolphin wrote:
People also work the day after NYD unless it takes place around a weekend.

Still though, I'm imagining a 3PM kickoff on NYE, then a 7PM kickoff for the second game, and then an hour or two of Seacrest and already getting excited.

NYE sucks until about 11PM anyways.

What does working the day after new year's day have to do with it?

I concede that they will get the hard core fans to watch but they were going to watch anyway. The casual fan is not watching those games. The young guy on the prowl hoping to be someone's NYE mistake is not watching those games. The Trixie caking on her makeup before hitting the bars isn't watching those games. The married woman wanting to watch a romantic comedy at home that night isn't watching those games and she isn't letting her husband sit there for six hours doing it, especially when he has plans to do the same thing the next day.

This will be a disaster.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:57 am 

good dolphin wrote:
This will be a disaster.

You cannot be serious.

You think it could even be a dumpster fire?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:59 am 

spanky wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
This will be a disaster.

You cannot be serious.

You think it could even be a dumpster fire?

A great job by Dolphin using the quote function, but not one of his better post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:01 am 

good dolphin wrote:
NYD at night with a hangover and having to go to work tomorrow isn't ideal either.
good dolphin wrote:
I concede that they will get the hard core fans to watch but they were going to watch anyway. The casual fan is not watching those games. The young guy on the prowl hoping to be someone's NYE mistake is not watching those games. The Trixie caking on her makeup before hitting the bars isn't watching those games. The married woman wanting to watch a romantic comedy at home that night isn't watching those games and she isn't letting her husband sit there for six hours doing it, especially when he has plans to do the same thing the next day.
:lol: What time do you think people start celebrating NYE? The first game will be done before any party even starts. The two women you cite aren't suddenly becoming big fans on NYD either.

Not to mention, holiday celebrations and sports go together really well. Thanksgiving football is obvious. When the NFL is playing on Christmas Eve or Day it does really well.

Personally, I'm not going to care if a 23 year old who spent $500 on a room and tickets to a hotel ballroom party is going to skip out on the second half of the second game to eat appetizers and open bar. This will be great to fill the boring time before NYE really starts.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:04 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
conns and dolphin are right.

For example, this NYE I worked until 1, wasted 1.5 hours in traffic getting downtown, checked into our hotel, got dressed, off to a friends place for drinks and then off to our NYE party.

I didn't get to watch one minute of football.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:06 am 

Kirkwood wrote:

For example, this NYE I worked until 1, wasted 1.5 hours in traffic getting downtown, checked into our hotel, got dressed, off to a friends place for drinks and then off to our NYE party.

Save a vacation day, problem solved. Or stay in on Amateur night, the football is much better.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:08 am 

Kirkwood wrote:

You can't compare the games of this NYE to that one.

I didn't watch the Sugar Bowl last year and only watched part of the Rose Bowl. This year, I watched it all(with the second half of the Sugar Bowl on dvr the next morning because I was sick and fell asleep).

Based on your timeline, you'd have likely watched the whole Rose Bowl at your friends place before going to your party.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:17 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Hawg Ass wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:

Save a vacation day, problem solved. Or stay in on Amateur night, the football is much better.

I wish I could use vacation day but I have year end closing of the books.

Yes, I agree. We did Navy Pier as a favor to the GF. Women annoyingly wanted to get dressed up. :roll:

Last edited by Kirkwood on Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:20 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:

I wish I could use vacation day but I year end closing of the books.

Yes, I agree. We did Navy Pier as a favor to the GF. Women annoyling wanted to get dressed up. :roll:

:D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:29 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
NYD at night with a hangover and having to go to work tomorrow isn't ideal either.
good dolphin wrote:
:lol: What time do you think people start celebrating NYE? The first game will be done before any party even starts. The two women you cite aren't suddenly becoming big fans on NYD either.

Not to mention, holiday celebrations and sports go together really well. Thanksgiving football is obvious. When the NFL is playing on Christmas Eve or Day it does really well.

Personally, I'm not going to care if a 23 year old who spent $500 on a room and tickets to a hotel ballroom party is going to skip out on the second half of the second game to eat appetizers and open bar. This will be great to fill the boring time before NYE really starts.

I'd say parties start at 9 pm.

The first game will be done before a good percentage of the gainfully employed are home from work.

Women do become fans on NYD for the same reason they are fans on Super Bowl Sunday.

Home NYE celebrations will certainly have the game on but there is a lot of the audience not at home or a friends home.

I don't understand about the boring time before NYE really starts (and you say that like you are BoilermakerWayneStylie, party guy).

The ultimate question is, does this schedule make it more or less likely to capture a greater percentage of the public's interest? The answer seems obvious.

This schedule makes the playoff as relevant as a world series game.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:36 am 

good dolphin wrote:

The first game will be done before a good percentage of the gainfully employed are home from work.
The first game will probably start at 4pm. Most people don't work until 5pm on NYE. Most are off or have a half day unless they are in the hospitality industry, and those people may be working NYD anyways.
good dolphin wrote:
Women do become fans on NYD for the same reason they are fans on Super Bowl Sunday.
Then they'll watch the NYE game too! You act like NYE is some sacred holiday. It's an excuse to get drunk with a day off the next day. We watch football on Christmas Eve when the NFL falls on it and that actually is a sacred holiday.
good dolphin wrote:
I don't understand about the boring time before NYE really starts (and you say that like you are BoilermakerWayneStylie, party guy).
NYE doesn't really get interesting until 10pm at a minimum. I believe even when we did the fancy downtown hotel party thing that it was pretty much empty until then.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:45 am 

I guess we'll just have to wait twelve months to confirm you are wrong again but you notice the immediate reaction was not "What a great idea, the NCAA is moving playoff games to NYE!"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:48 am 

I absolutely love that they are playing the games on New Years Eve, and I don't believe it will affect the ratings.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:49 am 

good dolphin wrote:
I guess we'll just have to wait twelve months to confirm you are wrong again but you notice the immediate reaction was not "What a great idea, the NCAA is moving playoff games to NYE!"
Wrong on what?

It will be great too, and you will watch a lot of it. You just overreacted to it. No big deal.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:50 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
I absolutely love that they are playing the games on New Years Eve, and I don't believe it will affect the ratings.
The effect on the ratings will more have to do with it not being the first year and probably not having 4 teams that are ratings gold.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
As well as these semi playoff games dd for TV ratings...the Dallas/Detroit game still did better numbers. NFL is just a beast and thats what the College system is shooting for....but a NY day game is special....I agree, would rather have it on Day 1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:10 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Wrong on what?

It will be great too, and you will watch a lot of it. You just overreacted to it. No big deal.

NYE is on a Thursday next year. I can almost guarantee you my day will be the same as this year. Work until 5, pick up party food on the way home, a little pre party romance, then off to my friend's house by 9. I will catch some football when I can but it will not be a 6-7 hour block of viewing like I would on NYD.

This plan sucks some life out of NYE and NYD.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:19 pm 

Someone in your position should not be working until 5pm on NYE.

I ended up watching the second half of the OSU-Alabama game the next morning because it was late and I was tired. This will be better for me. Those who have to work until 5pm on NYE will have to suffer though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Initial thoughts:

Who the fuck cares when they play these games? It still beats the alternative of the week of games we used to get after New Years.

Also...how the fuck did the Peach Bowl work it's way into this? I get the other five bowls having skin in this game...but...the Peach?!?!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:04 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I had a friend who worked a big firm. He was part of a team working on a big transaction that had to close by midnight of that year. He was at the office until it closed at 11 pm on NYE.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:07 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

I'd say that makes you sound old and worried about making it until 12:00

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:09 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I had a friend.

Lies!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:10 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I had a friend who worked a big firm. He was part of a team working on a big transaction that had to close by midnight of that year. He was at the office until it closed at 11 pm on NYE.
Sounds like bad management.