It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I always exercised and never lost weight. I still did it because I liked to be in shape and able to run full court basketball, play flag football, roller hockey, and the like. I suppose one would argue I would have been heavier without that exercise, but I know I ate a lot more as a result of the exercising. It was probably neutral to my weight.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:41 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Rick is 100% correct. I am silly for having brought up these issues. No guys ever says, I'll eat this snack and then go work it off later. Guys always restrain from eating the snack and then just work out instead. Additionally, no person has ever had a great workout, and then sits down and says, "I deserve to treat myself for such a great workout.". DID NOT HAPPEN. EVER.
Not everyone who is exercising is dieting. Of course you can waste your workout with a poor choice of eating. They aren't really trying to lose weight then though.

Imagine I want to save money so I don't get Bears season tickets. That will save me money. If I go to a bar instead and spend that same amount of money I didn't save any money either. A poor choice counteracts a positive choice.

That is basically what you are saying. Physical activity won't help you lose weight if you do something that counteracts the benefit. Well, of course.
denisdman wrote:
There are no fat people in the gyms except for the ones that just started their membership.
Poor strategies like you have said.

That stuff I agree with. No sarcasm this time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
denisdman wrote:
I always exercised and never lost weight. I still did it because I liked to be in shape and able to run full court basketball, play flag football, roller hockey, and the like. I suppose one would argue I would have been heavier without that exercise, but I know I ate a lot more as a result of the exercising. It was probably neutral to my weight.

Where were you before weight wise? 190's?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Gourmet Pizza by Carlo
My current status is fat slob, so I guess take this for what it's worth, but for me eating better and exercise go hand in hand. When I'm eating like crap, I usually don't have the energy to work out. When I'm eating better, then I'm also much more motivated to work out, and I try my best to plan my workout so that I can have a high protein meal within an hour of working out, and that satisfies any additional hunger from working out. I certainly can't speak for everyone, but I've never once thought of "treating" myself after a good workout, as then I feel like I just wasted the workout.

Also, when making better food choices I'm also way less hungry even though I'm consuming far less calories.

What inevitably happens to me is I dominate until I get where I need to be, and then I slowly start letting bad habits set back in. First I'll start taking it easy on the weekends, and then that creeps in the work week, and before I know it I'm eating like a glutton pretty much every day and never working out, and it spirals out of control for like years. Ugh. That needs to end.

So right now I'm currently on day two of the commitment and am just a mere 158 lbs away from my goal. I should be there in no time! In reality, as this will take me into the 2016 commitment to excellence, hopefully this finally just sets in as my lifestyle and I feel no need to let the bad habits creep back in.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:02 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Where were you before weight wise? 190's?

I was at 200. I am 5'8". If you had looked at me, you would have guessed 175. But I was always a 33-ish waist, and I was starting to push a 34-35 waist. I probably hovered in the 180's for most of my 20's. Once I hit 200, I decided to take it serious. I wear 32 waist pants now but really need 31. I have to use a belt to hold things up.

Now I sit comfortably at 165. People think I weigh less than 150. But I carry a lot of muscle in my legs and upper body from working out everyday.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:09 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
denisdman wrote:
Rick is 100% correct. I am silly for having brought up these issues. No guys ever says, I'll eat this snack and then go work it off later. Guys always restrain from eating the snack and then just work out instead. Additionally, no person has ever had a great workout, and then sits down and says, "I deserve to treat myself for such a great workout.". DID NOT HAPPEN. EVER.

There are no fat people in the gyms except for the ones that just started their membership.

There goes denis, playing devil's advocate again.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
denisdman wrote:
Yes, overall you need to burn more calories than you consume to lose weight. My broader point was that exercise does two things to most people:

1) Makes you hungrier

you keep mentioning this, but exercising also increases your metabolism too...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:24 pm 

Bagels wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Yes, overall you need to burn more calories than you consume to lose weight. My broader point was that exercise does two things to most people:

1) Makes you hungrier

I am drawing on personal experience. I guess everyone is different, and I did not read scientific studies ala Kirkwood.

I was overweight post-high school through 35 years old. I worked out all the time often playing hours of pick-up basketball several days a week. I roller blade 15 miles weekly. I ran 5k's everyday. I never lost weight.

At 35 years old I continued to work out although the back and knees do not allow me to play pick up basketball at that level anymore or run a 5k everyday. I simply made the dietary changes previously mentioned, and I lost 35 pounds within six months. I run two miles every other day. I do upper body and core exercises on the other days.

Exercise with old diet 200 pound guy.
Exercise with better diet 165 pound guy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:25 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
denisdman wrote:

About 20,000 more posts until I catch the master of it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:26 pm 
Site Admin

denisdman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
denisdman wrote:

About 20,000 more posts until I catch the master of it.

Well, you seem to be locked up in a good battle with him right now. That's no way to get ahead! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:33 pm 

:)

You and Brick are quite the fellows. I have tried to cut down on the endless arguments, although I wrapped myself up in one here. In any case, Brick and I have a common bond with the Clash of Clans thing. It is much more fun to go back and forth on that message service within the game.

I am an agree to disagree type of person. In this particular thread I was genuinely trying to help folks out. It took me a long to realize how to effectively lose weight in a sustainable way. My task was made all the more difficult because my wife is a great cook. If folks get down to their goal weight solely through exercise, then that's great. I know it is much easier to do so through better eating habits. When I run two miles, I think the treadmill says I burn like 250 calories or something. If you drink a coke and eat a couple slices of cheese, it negates that effort. I know many folks drink lots of soda per day...so are you going to run five miles?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:41 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Bagels wrote:
denisdman wrote:

1) Makes you hungrier

I am drawing on personal experience. I guess everyone is different, and I did not read scientific studies ala Kirkwood.

I was overweight post-high school through 35 years old. I worked out all the time often playing hours of pick-up basketball several days a week. I roller blade 15 miles weekly. I ran 5k's everyday. I never lost weight.

At 35 years old I continued to work out although the back and knees do not allow me to play pick up basketball at that level anymore or run a 5k everyday. I simply made the dietary changes previously mentioned, and I lost 35 pounds within six months. I run two miles every other day. I do upper body and core exercises on the other days.

Exercise with old diet 200 pound guy.
Exercise with better diet 165 pound guy.

all of that certainly makes sense

my only point was that yes, exercising will probably make you hungry, but its also raising your metabolism too so you're going to burn that energy off more efficiently

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:43 pm 

Bagels, I am only guessing here, but as your metabolism goes up, doesn't your appetite? Maybe not. I always got hungrier after working out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:45 pm 
Site Admin

denisdman wrote:
:)

You and Brick are quite the fellows. I have tried to cut down on the endless arguments, although I wrapped myself up in one here. In any case, Brick and I have a common bond with the Clash of Clans thing. It is much more fun to go back and forth on that message service within the game.

I am an agree to disagree type of person. In this particular thread I was genuinely trying to help folks out. It took me a long to realize how to effectively lose weight in a sustainable way. My task was made all the more difficult because my wife is a great cook. If folks get down to their goal weight solely through exercise, then that's great. I know it is much easier to do so through better eating habits. When I run two miles, I think the treadmill says I burn like 250 calories or something. If you drink a coke and eat a couple slices of cheese, it negates that effort. I know many folks drink lots of soda per day...so are you going to run five miles?

Just busting your balls, denis.

Obviously, the best way is sensible eating and exercise. There's no way someone would look at me and believe I've been averaging 25 miles per week for over 30 years. But I used to eat a lot of crap. That's gradually changing. I've almost completely stopped snacking between meals. I was pretty close to 240 back in late September. I'm right around 208 now. I'd like to get to 190 by summer. I usually eat twice a day now, once around 10 am and then at about 6 in the evening. I know I should probably eat something before I run in the morning, but I'm in the habit of not doing so. I've been trying to remember to just have a few spoonfuls of peanut butter to get the metabolism running.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:59 pm 

I knew it JORR.

You seem to confirm that significant exercise is not enough to lose weight. That was my personal experience. I really thought increasing my exercise would allow me to keep eating like a pig and stay around 180. As I got older, it did not.

I never was a breakfast guy. And I agree about not upsetting your running habits. However, one of the first changes I made was eating a solid breakfast every morning. I have a selection of cereals like cheerios to the Kashi stuff. I bring a small leftover lunch with a piece of fruit to work. That way, by the time I get home from work, I have already had two decent (small and healthy) meals. I think that made the biggest difference.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Oh man, I get nauseous if I try to do cadrio on an empty stomach.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:05 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:

Yep cadrio or cardio gets me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Furious Styles wrote:

I'm the complete opposite.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:14 pm 

denisdman wrote:
You seem to confirm that significant exercise is not enough to lose weight.
It was though. You had just met your equilibrium. If you had less physical activity you would have gained more weight unless you cut down on the calories to make up for it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:55 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

Stupid board keeps logging me out when I try to sign on from phone. I saw my typo and there was nothing I could do about it.

Now, have you figured out the difference between "to" and "too" yet? [/burn]

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Furious Styles wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

Stupid board keeps logging me out when I try to sign on from phone. I saw my typo and there was nothing I could do about it.

I get logged out if I am on my phone or tablet.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

Furious Styles wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

No, I don't need to, you will be there to point it out. :P

Last edited by Hawg Ass on Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spaulding wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

I'm not taking about a full meal, but I need at least a few handfuls of cereal if it's first thing in the morning.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:59 pm 

Chus wrote:
I get logged out if I am on my phone or tablet.

This just started a few weeks ago for me. Maddening. How am I supposed to get to 2500 posts?

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:29 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

I'm not taking about a full meal, but I need at least a few handfuls of cereal if it's first thing in the morning.

i hate working out in the morning
M-F, i do it after work- around 5pm...so basically on an empty stomach as i will normally have a piece of fruit at 3pm break at work . that's perfect for me
Saturday i do it in the morning just to get it out of the way, and it's way harder for me. i try to do an 'easier' routine that day.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:57 pm 

morning runs induce morning runs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
after a day at the coal mines I am way too tired to work out in the evening. gotta be first thing in the morning if at all. I'd have to get up no later than 5AM, which is a challenge for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:01 pm 

When I used to run, I had no problem doing it any time of the day, but I love cardio in the AM. Full-court basketball at 6AM before work was the best.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
good dolphin wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Nothing wrong with a cheat day once a week.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:39 am 

pizza_Place: Gourmet Pizza by Carlo
Love the silly week one weight loss when committing to excellence. Don't love the starting point after years of gluttony.

Week 0: 361.5
Week 1: 348.7

Total Loss: 12.8 lbs

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next