It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mac gone says Feder
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
http://www.robertfeder.com/2015/02/04/n ... t-be-back/

Post subject: Re: Mac gone says Feder
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:59 pm 

it was a good run. rest in a million pieces of bud, bud.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
No Score: Danny Mac won’t be back

Dan McNeil
Dan McNeil

Dan McNeil won’t be returning to the Score after all.

The mercurial Chicago radio personality turned down a multiyear contract offer to reclaim his old job as midday host at CBS Radio sports/talk WSCR AM 670, sources said Wednesday.

McNeil had been considered the top choice to succeed Patrick Mannelly, who announced Monday he was stepping down as midday co-host alongside Matt Spiegel, effective February 13. The move was first reported here Friday.

McNeil declined to comment Wednesday.

The decision means McNeil remains free to explore other radio opportunities, and the Score has to conduct its second search for a midday co-host in five months. “We’re looking at all options,” said Mitch Rosen, operations director of the Score.

It’s no longer clear whether one of those options is the hiring of David Kaplan and David Haugh since Tribune Media would have to release Kaplan from the remaining 11 months of his contract with news/talk WGN AM 720, where he has been a fixture for 20 years. Haugh is a Chicago Tribune sports columnist.

Kaplan and Haugh hosted middays on Tribune Media’s short-lived FM sports/talk venture on WGWG LP 87.7, known as The Game 87.7 FM. Their program continues streaming on WGNplus.com and simulcast on Comcast SportsNet Chicago.

Midday ratings on the Score declined after McNeil left the station last summer. In the latest Nielsen Audio survey, the Score ranked 15th in middays with a 2.7 percent share and cumulative weekly audience of 333,900.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:08 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Well...that sucks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Mac and Kap would be a drive time king.

Still going to say HOPE is alive in that Mac deal. This is what happens when you arent foced to take a Score/Zimmerman offer. In my opinion, Zimmerman doesnt negotiate very well, thus you have scenario now of Mitch trying to get a deal done twice and the deal doesnt get done. I know its not Mitch and I dont think Mitch is bringing deals to Rod that Mac and his agent aren't OK with.

pizza_Place: giordanos
Peoria Matt wrote:
Well...that sucks.

+1

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Feder wrote:

...except for all the comments he gave me so I could write this article.

Goff seems like the simple choice.

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Mac's got Rosen by the short hairs. Probably holding out for Mike North money, Chicago!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:12 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
remember how back in the "suggest a midshow" thread i said that i could picture jason goff listening to the descendants' "hope" singing along all "MY DAY WILL COME....." ???

i've got him upgrading his song to this one cuz he didn't get fired-fired-FIRED from CBS did he? bernstein can put in a word and they can bring back the #1 chicago sports show host of 2020 to champion the middays..... or maybe even replace terry next year? HIS DAY WILL COME! SOMEDAY HE'LL BE THE ONLY ONE!

kinda sucks about mac cuz there's something inherently comfortable about the known known that is a dan mcneil radio show in the year of our lorde 2015, but still at least there will be some !!! as we try to figure out what direction the score goes in for a year or so until terry supposedly is ready to retire, cuz i think once terry reties i can see the whole station being shook up to accomodate THE NEXT GREAT DAN BERNSTEIN (& ???) VENTURE. bet you his name comes first this time.... and that could be the impetus for the whle station changing up even if dan prefers to stay in his 2-6 afternoon drive home. that's when der schnorr should get pretty interesting!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:16 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:

(PICTURE OF A GIANT PILE OF WEED HERE)

you know ike, i gotta say that the show where damaneel admitted his problems with.... *gasps* marijuana was kind of silly. in all my days i've only seen one chick who couldn't handle smoking weed and literally freaked out and went on a total rampage, ultimately throwing bloodied plates all over the hallway of a hotel in galesburg IL.... but to have him come back and talk openly about this giant life-destroying problem and have it be marijuana.... it was just like "lolwat?"

and then of course after we were well into the weed talk he quickly and quietly brushed the whole "...and vicodin" part under the rug. those sedatives can be a motherfucker!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
there's no one on WSCR staff that would be a good pairing with speigal... i'm all for giving grote a shot, but he'd need a solid driver... and that does not exist at the station right now in my opinion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:19 pm 
1000 CLUB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Feder wrote:

Goff seems like the simple choice.

The ratings are bad enough already.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:33 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

you know ike, i gotta say that the show where damaneel admitted his problems with.... *gasps* marijuana was kind of silly. in all my days i've only seen one chick who couldn't handle smoking weed and literally freaked out and went on a total rampage, ultimately throwing bloodied plates all over the hallway of a hotel in galesburg IL.... but to have him come back and talk openly about this giant life-destroying problem and have it be marijuana.... it was just like "lolwat?"

and then of course after we were well into the weed talk he quickly and quietly brushed the whole "...and vicodin" part under the rug. those sedatives can be a motherfucker!

its so typical. the three drugs that kill more americans than any other substances are perfectly legal. but marijuana can send you to jail and bankrupt you.

vicodin addiction is a very serious problem. that shit WILL ruin your body.

weed will not. the worst thing weed does is make you fall asleep OOOOOOOOO omg noooo!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:37 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:
its so typical. the three drugs that kill more americans than any other substances are perfectly legal. but marijuana can send you to jail and bankrupt you.

weed will not. the worst thing weed does is make you fall asleep OOOOOOOOO omg noooo!!!!!

i've always said that drunk driving will lead to DUIs accidents death fatalities carnage shattered lives, let alone successful trips for unplanned pregnancies and other stupid shit. stoned driving will lead you to taco bell!

that is unless you can't handle your weed like ol girl from galesburg illinois who was chucking the bloodied plates all over the hallways. supposedly it took ~4-5 cops to take her down to the ground. tweaker-strong no doubt, as talking to a guy @ the bar with a nice caucasian in hand informed me that galesburg got its cracK from peoria! and while meth's got the whole flesh eating aspect to it.... i tell you what man, real talk, crack just has a bit more style to it. you'll never see methheads/tweakers str8up dancin like you'll occasionally see crackheads/smokers in the city do when they're moving around all funky just a split second out of sync with reality.

but i digress.... enough talk about drugs! we need to talk about my daily crutch that is potent enough to get me through the day for anywhere from 4-6 hours at a time: WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT 670 THE SCORE!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
billypootons wrote:
there's no one on WSCR staff that would be a good pairing with speigal... i'm all for giving grote a shot, but he'd need a solid driver... and that does not exist at the station right now in my opinion

Exactly, so logic says to fire Meatpants. No one tunes in becuse of him. I wouldnt mind a Matty and Goff pairing.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Beardown wrote:
bigfan wrote:
Hussra wrote:
not a single mention of J Goff?

Cant happen. Fired CBS employee. Forever struck from the records book!

Yeah. Where ya been? Big Fan broke this months ago.

Thought that was the case from the beginning, but folks were still suggesting Goff could somehow find his way back to another CBS station (WSCR) despite being shit-canned from a CBS station in Atlanta.

Dunno if something (un)official had been said by Goff or someone at WSCR or if it's just a conclusion based on the underlying facts (fired from CBS, WSCR is CBS, Goff is in Chicago and wasn't even allowed on mic the one time he visited the WSCR studios).

Had to be more to it than the salsa thing. At best, that's an unpaid day / up to a week suspension. Ratings alone wouldn't or shouldn't have led to CBS wholesale cashing out on J Goff. Image

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I hope he goes afternoons somewhere with the same determination when he started at espn (and a not shitty partner) and kicks b&b's asses. I don't think he has that in him anymore but it'd be great if he could do it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Guessing it's the time-slot that McNeil's balking over. Last time Feder posted any numbers, WSCR was offering $270K and McNeil wanted $330K--seems like a bridgeable gap.

Last edited by Hussra on Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
If Terry is in fact retiring, Mitch would be smart to retool the entire line up. Bring Mac back in afternoon drive with Finji, move Berns to middays with Roz or Rosey.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
IkeSouth wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

Vicodin and other pain medications in it's stable are Schedule II narcotics. Very regulated. Illegal to have without a prescription from an MD that was obtained during a visit. Many other hoops to jump through as well. Illegal distribution of this class of medications will result in the loss of the Dr's licence on top of criminal prosecution for those involved.

So, no, it's not "perfectly legal."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:30 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Hussra wrote:
Beardown wrote:
bigfan wrote:
Hussra wrote:
not a single mention of J Goff?

Cant happen. Fired CBS employee. Forever struck from the records book!

Yeah. Where ya been? Big Fan broke this months ago.

Thought that was the case from the beginning, but folks were still suggesting Goff could somehow find his way back to another CBS station (WSCR) despite being shit-canned from a CBS station in Atlanta.

Dunno if something (un)official had been said by Goff or someone at WSCR or if it's just a conclusion based on the underlying facts (fired from CBS, WSCR is CBS, Goff is in Chicago and wasn't even allowed on mic the one time he visited the WSCR studios).

Had to be more to it than the salsa thing. At best, that's an unpaid day / up to a week suspension. Ratings alone wouldn't or shouldn't have led to CBS wholesale cashing out on J Goff. Image

I'm pretty sure from listening to some of Goff's shows down there that Taco Max was the only sponsor that station had.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
hold on.......Taco Mac was the sponsor that got him fired?? That is a beer bar/ with sports bar type food that used the Taco Mac name because they originally didn't have enough money to buy a new sign.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Feder wrote:

:lol:

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:50 pm 
1000 CLUB

billypootons wrote:

Except for one. Rozner. Spiegel likes him. I think Spiegel pretty much hates everybody else at the station. The drinky hate is well documented. So that won't happen.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:53 pm 

if theyre balking over $50k i wouldnt want the job either. not in his position

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:56 pm 
1000 CLUB

Could Mac declining the Score twice simply mean he doesn't want to work with Matt Spiegel? :shock: That he just is tired of him?

Wants a new partner and maybe he's just waiting for them to fire Spiegel.

That's certainly plausible.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:59 pm 
1000 CLUB

By the way, this is twice that Feder has said Kap and Haugh might get it. Which obviously means Spiegel is fired. I wonder what Spiegel thinks when he reads that? What does he say to Mitch?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Mac doesn't want the fucking job. He doesn't give a shit about sports. He's tempted by the dough, though. Who wouldn't be?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:27 pm 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
Beardown wrote:
Could Mac declining the Score twice simply mean he doesn't want to work with Matt Spiegel? :shock: That he just is tired of him?

Wants a new partner and maybe he's just waiting for them to fire Spiegel.

That's certainly plausible.

Or simply that radio is dead? Cable is next thanks to hbo not requiring a subscription. How long does the score have honestly? Way to easy to get content these days.